PDA

View Full Version : IT GETS FLUNG AGAINST THE WALL

purrley
10-01-2001, 08:10 AM
I have 4 cats - so I have 2 litter boxes which are against the wall in the 3rd bedroom. Problem - occasionally cat s---uh cat poop gets flung against the wall. It sticks like glue if I'm not there to wipe it up immediately which I seldom am. Does anyone know a good cleaning agent to take that stuff off the wall - I've tried 409, Mr. Clean - stuff like that and I scrub so hard I almost take the paint off. I've tried scratching if off with a knife - bad idea - it damages the paint. I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Pam
10-01-2001, 08:29 AM
Purrley, Maybe your kitties are a little too vigorous in their digging in the box and are hurling the contents against the wall. My Andy covers his treasures furiously and occasionally one might wind up on the floor by the box. :o I think rather than scrubbing the wall, you might put some saran wrap on the wall where the poopies wind up going. Maybe you could secure it at the top with some masking tape or something to protect the wall. Then you would just have to put up a new piece of saran instead of cleaning the wall. Just a thought....

purrley
10-01-2001, 08:43 AM
Pam - I'll try that and hope the kitties wont pull it down - thanks.

Pam
10-01-2001, 09:03 AM
I have a little bit of a "poop mystery" going on here. :o A while ago I noticed a kitty poop pile in the corner of the basement. I cleaned it up and wondered who did it but didn't give it much thought. Then last week there was another pile in the same place. I cleaned it up again and wondered some more. This morning there was another pile, again in the exact same place. I am thinking of putting a litterbox in that spot if it keeps up. I can't figure this out because my cats have never gone outside the box before. No one appears sick and the poops are firm. There have been no changes in the household, etc. Maybe someone is being lazy?

[ October 01, 2001: Message edited by: Pam ]

gini
10-01-2001, 09:34 AM
Purrley, I had the same problem and found this to be a good solution. I purchased two large pieces of clear plexiglas. One is for the floor under the litter box and the other is leaned against the wall. Clean up is a breeze. Rascal is a "flinger". Each piece of plexiglas is about 2' X 3'.

purrley
10-01-2001, 09:53 AM
gini - plexiglass - that's an interesting idea - guess you can buy it at Walmart and places like that. How does the plexiglass work out under the cat box though - right now when the little paws get out of the litter box I have a trail of litter into the hallway - vaccuming is a must - every day. Any idea on a wipe your paws idea to help take the litter off when they get out of the cat box :rolleyes:

catwoman
10-01-2001, 11:47 AM
Purrley,

For under the box, try a raffia mat (like the ones sometimes used as doormats.) It spreads out the cat's toes and traps the litter before they can track it down the hall.

For your olympic kitties, you may need two mats to cover more space around the box.

Dianne

purrley
10-01-2001, 11:53 AM
Thank you Dianne - this is a great idea - I did read in a Cat Fancy Mag they have some special mats that help the little honeys wipe their paw but they're pretty expensive - your idea sounds practical :)

gini
10-01-2001, 02:34 PM
Purrley, I couldn't use anything except plexiglas under the litter box because my little calico, Patches, had kidney failure and was peeing outside of the box. A raffia mat would have been a disaster.

I usually keep a dust pan and brush right beside the litter box and clean up as needed.

I got the plexi from a plastics shop and they usually have leftovers that might work and not be as expensive as buying specially cut sheets. I use Windex and a paper towel to keep the back and bottom plexiglas clean.
I have wallpaper, so it is really a must for me.

Hope this helps.

wolflady
10-01-2001, 05:33 PM
Interesting topic! :D Both of my boys are so messy when it comes to litter box usage. Only, my problem is they scoot their butts up as far as they will go in the back corner of the litterboxes...so they would end up squirting over the edge! :rolleyes: The only solution I could find for my messy boys was the covered litterbox. It works wonders for keeping stuff inside. That may be worth a shot with your kitty. By covering the box, you won't have to worry about doing anything to your wall, unless of course the cat is scared of the covered box and refuses to use it! LOL I also purchased a kitty paw mat from Walmart for tracking. It doesn't totally eliminate tracking, but a lot of sand does get caught on the mat, so I simply dump it back in the box.

Pam, that's strange about the pile of cat poo! Wonder how long that's been going on! It seems, someone could have gotten upset a while back...but continues to go to that spot because the smell lingers?? Try cleaning with an enzyme cleaner (or possibly bleach or something smelling of citrus) and see if it happens again. If it does, it may be worth putting a litter box there...and find out who the culprit is!!! :rolleyes:

Logan
10-01-2001, 05:55 PM
I read the initial post and thought "plexi glass"....and now I know that might be a real solution for you! My Mimi will scratch the wallpaper right off the walls, never covering her poop, so something to protect the wallpaper is imperative!! Thank goodness, both litter boxes are either on hardwood floors or tile, both of which are easy to sweep up. Both kitties make a mess, even if they are indoor/outdoor kitties. Mimi is my biggest culprit...she spend WAY more time inside than our Wonder Buddy does.

thelmalu99
10-02-2001, 11:04 AM
UGH. My boys sometimes poop on the rim of the litterbox instead of inside it. How they manage this is beyond me, I just know when I walk past the bathroom and that *odor* is lingering. :eek:

I know that boys in general have bad aim, but WOW!

catwoman
10-02-2001, 02:03 PM
Thelma,

Balancing a poop on the rim of the box sounds like pretty GOOD aim to me! LOL

Dianne :D

thelmalu99
10-02-2001, 02:12 PM
Good point, LOL!

Former User
10-04-2001, 01:14 PM
How about getting a litterbox with walls and roof? Our litterbox is like a transportation box, except that it's a litterbox of course. There we can aim and dig as much as we want to! And you can get those even with a door! :p

AngieS
10-04-2001, 10:28 PM
I have a litter box that has an attachment that clips on the sides to make the sides a little higher. I'm not sure what it is called. It works great. No cat litter or anything else is thrown outside the box.

Angie
Kitti 1 yr.old,
Olli 9 mo. old, fawn boxer, natural ears,docked tail

thelmalu99
10-05-2001, 09:24 AM
I have the same kind of litterbox that Angie described, but somehow my pigs, excuse me, cats manage to make a mess.

I have read that having a cover over the litterbox traps the odors inside and sometimes cats develop an aversion to the litterbox. That's all I need! :rolleyes:

purrley
10-05-2001, 09:54 AM
Yes Thelma I heard the same thing. You know cats are so finicky and they don't like change. I have a covered litter box but I don't dare use it. I'd rather have a little poop on the walls instead of a whole big pile of it in a corner somewhere. Sometimes they don't like it when you change the kind of litter they use. I tried the clump kind once and one of the kitties, I guess, didn't like the feel of it on her feet. Consequently I ended up with a mess in the corner. AH SIGH - what we put up with for our little cuties :)

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: purrley ]