PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here who would like to give me some advice? :o

Kirsten
07-26-2004, 12:48 PM
I know, I was barely around the last couple of days. :o
The reason is that I'm working on my new website, www.catmom.de . You know, this website is supposed to inform about various aspects of responsibilities that you have as a "cat owner" (I don't like that word! LOL) .

However, last night I have written a long article on the importance of vaccination, and today, I worked on the english translation. The work on that article required a lot of internet research. While I did that, some questions occured.

For example I always have thought that you can carry the viruses that cause upper respiratory infections with you on your clothes. I know it's a fact that the parvo virus (which causes panleukopenia) can be transmitted that way and that this is the reason why also indoor cats should be vaccinated, but for some reason I have always thought it would be the same with URI. Now I found barely info on that. Obviously respiratory infectious diseases are mainly caused by the herpes virus and the calici virus, and also the bacterium chlamydia might be involved. However, I eventually found a website (pharmaceutical website) that reported that the calici virus may survive outside the cat's body for a while, thus it can be carried on shoes or clothes, or am I wrong here? What is the information you have got about the calici virus vaccine from your vet? Can anyone help me here? :)

Another thing that has shocked me: From what I knew (and from what my vet has told me), an indoor cat cannot be exposed to the feline leukemia virus (my girls have a basic immunization though) since it is only transmitted from cat to cat. Now I read on one website that it can also be transmitted by insect bites!!! :(

Can anyone confirm this?

I know these are tough questions, but thanks in advance. :)

Kirsten

catmandu
07-27-2004, 09:18 AM
I myself,like Cat Guardian,as you can never really own a Cat!If you were to email A Vet,he can help you more,with the Medical Questions,I know that I take The Cats,in once a year,and they get three shots!

DJFyrewolf36
07-27-2004, 10:33 AM
I wish I could give you advice! Sigh, I admittedly know next to nothing when it comes to vaccinations, I just do what the vet says! *I also learn a lot from you guys :)*

Great site so far, Kirsten!!! Im learning so much!

sirrahbed
07-27-2004, 11:09 AM
I am with DJ - still learning here!!!

Kirsten
07-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Well, you never cease learning about the fur kids... )

I think I'm going to ask my vet about these things the next time I'm there.

Kirsten

leslie flenner
07-28-2004, 10:09 PM
but i'm sending to qsl to see if she ever heard of this- somehow- it does not ring right. Tufts Medical School is the big animal research center here and you could try finding their website- qsl sleeping now- she used to get their newsletter- I can do a quick search now and send it via here if i find it. Kinda makes sense but what bugs exactly? Fleas? If that's the case, fleas could spread Fiv- theoretically, right?

Tonya
07-28-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Kirsten
Another thing that has shocked me: From what I knew (and from what my vet has told me), an indoor cat cannot be exposed to the feline leukemia virus (my girls have a basic immunization though) since it is only transmitted from cat to cat. Now I read on one website that it can also be transmitted by insect bites!!! :(

Can anyone confirm this?

I know these are tough questions, but thanks in advance. :)

Kirsten

I am sorry that I can't help you much. But my childhood cat did die of FIV and I remember the doctor telling me that even rats carry it. So, if a cat caught a rat, it could be exposed. (God forbid if you have a rat in the house!)

Tonya
07-28-2004, 10:22 PM
p.s. The site looks great!

leslie flenner
07-28-2004, 10:23 PM
tufts leukemia cats.
hope you can open! if not, just do search of same and you'll get it! good luck!

Catsnclay
07-28-2004, 10:37 PM
Try going to www.catfancy.com and click on their "Ask the Vet" forum. They might be able to give you the information you are looking for.

QueenScoopalot
07-29-2004, 07:58 PM
I always worry about fleas transmitting panleukopenia (distemper) from cat to cat while I'm trapping. I would think that a flea would easily be able to jump from one cat/kitten harboring the virus, and bite the next one and transmit the virus. Viruses are a scary aspect of our world as they are capable of mutating constantly. I'm dealing with a horrible situation with my "Wood Pile Gang". They had moderate URI symptoms a week ago, then the poop hit the fan. They developed ulcers in their mouths which is indicative of calicivirus. Then it got worse. :( I thought one of the four kittens had a fractured hind leg last weekend, and started making phone calls to have him seen first thing Monday. Things weren't as they seemed, and the little girl Emily developed SEVERE edema in all her legs, and her face within 36 hours of the suspected fracture! :eek: I knew it was serious and got on the internet and typed "feline calicivirus" into the search engine and knew then and there they had the "new" mutated form. It's been a hellish week to put it mildly. You brought up a very good point all around as far as cat viruses go! If anyone can find an answer I think they deserve a medal!

leslie flenner
07-29-2004, 08:07 PM
any hard core literature on insects carrying anything? I haven't at all nor has Dr. Ternes ever mentioned it. It would mean indoor cats are at risk too and would change everything! (If science could prove this, vets would increase the cost of flv vaccines)- which aren't a guarantee- and make a fortune!

QueenScoopalot
07-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by leslie flenner
any hard core literature on insects carrying anything? I haven't at all nor has Dr. Ternes ever mentioned it. It would mean indoor cats are at risk too and would change everything! (If science could prove this, vets would increase the cost of flv vaccines)- which aren't a guarantee- and make a fortune!
FeLV vaccines? Or FIV? FIV vaccine is new and causes cats to test positive for the virus. Big difference! :confused:

leslie flenner
07-29-2004, 08:40 PM
felv- not many pet owners bother with them because their cats are indoors! and most don't even know they exist! I had Shy get ONE vaccine and she got deadly ill from it! do it again! NO! Threat of bugs spreading felv? Vets could make a fortune jan!

QueenScoopalot
07-29-2004, 08:51 PM
You're right Leslie..and they can make an equal fortune off the vaccine related carcinomas that will crop up from it all! YIKES!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Kirsten
07-30-2004, 03:55 AM
Thanks everyone. :)

Well, about FeLV... I know there's a risk of fibrosarcoma, even though it is said they're going to develope new vaccines which have a lower risk. But here in Germany, every 6th case of death is caused by leukemia, and since so many PT cats have died from it as well lately, I don't think it's much different in other parts of the world either.

Leslie, which symptoms did your Shy have? I'm sorry she got sick. :(

And FIV... I heard there's a new vaccine now but it's not available in Germany yet, I've spoken to my vet. This is why I did not mention it on the website, but I can add the information.

I'm just wondering why there's a vaccine against FIV now when there's none for the human equivalent, HIV? Is FIV less mutating?

And boy, that must be a scary new form of the calici virus!! Poor Emily! How is she doing now?

Kirsten

QueenScoopalot
07-30-2004, 08:47 AM
Kirsten, The FIV vaccine that's new around here, luckily isn't being pushed by many vets. I think the company who developed it needs to go back the drawing board on that one. I would never take the risk of using it, my pet escaping and ending in a shelter testing positive. :eek: Emily is still battling this awful virus, and having a tough time even standing. She is eating quite well now. Her brothers and mom (who showed no symptoms) are all almost fully recovered.

Kirsten
08-01-2004, 05:38 AM
So the FIV vaccine is risky, like the one against FIP?

I'm sorry that Emily still isn't doing well - poor girl!! :( I hope she'll make a full recovery soon!

Kirsten

smokey the elder
08-01-2004, 06:53 AM
I wouldn't touch the FIP or the FIV vaccines with a ten foot pole. FDA is much less strict for animal vaccines than for humans. I'm not sure why FIV has a shot and not HIV.

Even feline leukemia is only 70% or so effective. It takes three shots. If you could get this effect in only one jab then it would be worth vaccinating colonies.