PDA

View Full Version : Story of Faith!

LorraineO
07-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Hachiko
Birth: Nov., 1923
Death: Mar., 1934

A white Akita dog, Hachiko was the faithful pet of Dr. Eisaburo Ueno, a professor at Tokyo University. The professor's home was in the Shibuya district of Tokyo and he commuted to the agricultural department in Komaba and the agricultural experimental station in Nishihara. On May 21, 1925, Dr. Ueno did not return because he had suffered a stroke and died at the university. Hachiko was eighteen months old. The next day and for the next nine years, Hachiko returned to the station and waited for his beloved master before walking home, alone. Nothing and no one could discourage Hachiko from maintaining his nightly vigil. It was not until he followed his master in death that Hachiko failed to appear at his waiting place at the railroad station. Hachiko was sent to homes of relatives or friends, but he always continued to await his master, who was never to return, at the train station. Hachiko's fidelity to his master was known throughout Japan, owing to an article, "Faithful Old Dog Awaits Return of Master Dead for Seven Years" in the October 4, 1933 issue of Asahi Shinbun (Asahi News). Upon his death, newspaper stories led to the suggestion that a statue be erected at the station. Contributions from people in the United States and other countries were received. Today, a statue of Hachiko pays silent tribute to the breed's faithfulness and loyalty. A bronze statue of Hachiko was erected at his waiting spot outside the Shibuya railroad station, which is now probably the most popular rendezvous point in Shibuya. Hachiko was mounted and stuffed and he is on now on display at the Tokyo Museum of Art. His flesh was cremated. Its ashes rest beside those of Hachiko's beloved master. (bio by: Warrick L. Barrett)
Search Amazon.com for Hachiko

Burial:
Aoyama-bochi Cemetery
Tokyo, Japan

Record added: Nov 12 2001
By: Warrick L. Barrett

Added by: Warrick L. Barrett

pitc9
07-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Thats a wonderful story!!!!

swimma253
07-26-2004, 01:19 PM
what a nice story! but its kind fo sad :(

tatsxxx11
07-26-2004, 03:49 PM
My husband is Japanese and when we first started dating, he told me about the story of Hachiko. I still cry when I read of the incredible love and devotion he had for his master, every day of his life. Thanks so much for posting this:) sniff, sniff....

K9soul
07-26-2004, 04:19 PM
That is one of my very favorite dog stories and I enjoyed reading it again. Thanks so much for posting it :)

LorraineO
07-26-2004, 05:28 PM
I had never heard of this story,,,, but was very touched when I read it,,, sooo sweet,,,,,,, so sad....

glad to have REshared it for you.....