PDA

View Full Version : Woodpile Gang Vet Visit

QueenScoopalot
07-26-2004, 09:56 AM
I just got back from the vets, and all four kittens are running temps (Emerson is the lowest at 102.5) and the highest is Emily at 105.3. She's also the worst off at this point with three of her legs horribly swollen. I gave the sickest three more fluids when I got home, and all have been switched to Clavamox, antirobe (to kill anaerobic bacteria the Clavamox won't affect) cyproheptadine to stimulate their appetites, and now it's just got to run it's course. :( I'd almost rather deal with a frctured leg, than this URI which is contagious. :rolleyes: I'm turning whiter than ever from bleaching myself everytime I have to handle them. ARGHHH!

catcrazylady
07-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Poor babies!!! What on earth is this infection that is making them swell? It sounds so miserable!! Are they going to be ok? Sorry for so many questions but this is a new one to me. I've never heard of it before and I'm curious. Is it common?

Whatever it is I sure hope the little ones will be ok. Bless their little tiny hearts and bless you and your super bleached skin!!

jazzcat
07-26-2004, 10:52 AM
I'm a little confused to, is it just some kind of bacteria making them swell or is this from the URI. It sounds so bizarre and scary. Poor babies.

rg_girlca
07-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Oh I hope and pray that the medication kicks in fast so these precious little ones can start getting better real soon.
Big time prayers for Emily that her temperature drops soon.

Ditto on the questions from CCL & Jazzcat.

DJFyrewolf36
07-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Fingers and paws crossed for a speedy recovery!! Poor babies :(

Ditto on the questions...gosh we're ALL curious!

QueenScoopalot
07-26-2004, 03:16 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54569

I started another thread, but here's what I scoped out on the net before the vet visit. I took a print out to the vets with me, but the vet didn't bother reading it. The kittens especially Emily, have a tough few days ahead of them. Hopefully the edema will subside, and she'll survive this. (Like I have time to treat them right)? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MULTICATMOM
07-26-2004, 03:37 PM
HEY, SO I'M ASSUMING THE URI'S A SECONDARY INFECTION? MUCH LIKE PNUEMONIA IN HUMANS.
ULCERATION NOR NECROSIS SOUND GOOD:(
MANY PRAYERS QSA & KITTIES!!!!!!

kimlovescats
07-26-2004, 03:54 PM
These are all symptoms of the Calici virus.... part of what is in the Feline IV shots. FVRCCP .... Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calici, Chlamydia, and Panleukopaenia. Some vets only give a 3-way shot, which does not have the Chlaymydia. Unfortunately many kittens get these diseases before they are of age to be vaccinated .... because their moms have never been vaccinated, but the mortality is much higher in babies! :(

Good luck, QSA ... prayers for the babies and you! ;)

Kim

QueenScoopalot
07-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Thanks all for your prayers. It's going to be a tough few days at least until these kittens 'turn the corner'. I'm nervous about it being the new form of calicivirus which vaccines aren't effective against. I usually vaccinate newcomers right away if they're healthy, but this gang had conjunctivitis and were too young at the time. And I'm out of vaccines to top it all off. :(

Karen
07-27-2004, 03:04 PM
All your fosters, especially the woodpile gang and Marigold and her babies will be in our prayers.

lizzielou742
07-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Poor sick kitties! Fingers and paws crossed that Emily's legs get better, and that all the babies end up OK, and that you don't go crazy in the process!

rg_girlca
07-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Jan, I'm almost afraid to ask this, but how are the babies doing today?

QueenScoopalot
07-27-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
Jan, I'm almost afraid to ask this, but how are the babies doing today?
Lorraine, Emily is looking worse by the hour. I don't think she's going to survive this, and I may have to face the facts, and have her euthanised.:( She is swollen so bad now, her neck is affected, and she can't walk. I'll have to decide what to do in a day or two if she makes it through the night. :( Ralph, Waldo, and Emerson are holding their own with very little edema. They look miserable though.

kimlovescats
07-27-2004, 10:16 PM
:( Hang on babies!

Tonya
07-27-2004, 10:19 PM
God Bless you for what you are doing for these kittens. I think that it is wonderful. They wouldn't have had a shot if it weren't for you.

catcrazylady
07-28-2004, 05:11 AM
OH these poor babies and poor you Jan. It's horrible to know that they are so sick and suffering but you actually have to look at it and deal with it. I'm so sorry that these adorable babies and you have to go through this. Please keep us posted. Prayers are still being sent your way!

lizzielou742
07-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Poor Emily, I feel so awful for her. I hope she's not in pain. Give her some love for us.

:( :( :(

*kiss kiss* Emily!!!

rg_girlca
07-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Oh Jan, I am so sorry to hear about little Emily. How heartbreaking it must be for you. I hope she isn't in any pain.
Poor little thing.
Praying that things will improve in a day or two.
Please keep us updated on all of them.
Hang in there Jan, I know how hard this must be for you.
(((((HUGS)))))

QueenScoopalot
07-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Emily Rose survived the night, and looked a bit more alert today! She ate some baby food for me, but she's still badly swollen all over. :( I really thought she'd be gone this morning, as she looked borderline comatose last night, but bless her little heart she hung in there. I'm cutting back on the sub-q fluids as I'm not so sure it's not just adding to her edema. She's not as dehydrated as she was on Monday which is good. Her brothers are still feeling punkish but are slowly getting better! Leslie was by yesterday, and peeked in at them and two kittens were sparring with each other. :) They're still "not out of the woods" but I'm seeing a bit of improvement slowly but surely! Keep those prayers and chants and all coming for baby Emily! ;)

rg_girlca
07-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Oh Jan, I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but this sounds promising.
Oh sweet little Emily, please keep fighting sweetheart.
We are all praying big time for you, Ralph, Waldo and Emerson.
Tiny little hugs and kissies to you babies.
Thanks for the update Jan.
(((((HUGS)))))