PDA

View Full Version : Is it in the genes?

catnapper
07-26-2004, 09:35 AM
I'm noticing a trend here lately - I've been unfair to my son for his work and study habits. I've been trying to get him to study and do his homework (while school is in of course) and do chores in addition to his classwork. But this summer, my husband's in school for his Master's too.... and man-oh-man, I know where my son gets it!!!! My husband is just as bad - if not worse - than my son when it comes to doing his homework! He's really pathetic. One excuse after another, but he seems to find time to squeeze in reading the sports section of the paper, reading his Sporting News magaizine and watching a few ballgames on tv, while slipping in an hour or two of ESPN. With a role model like that, no wonder I am losing the battle with my son! :rolleyes: :D

I know that as I get older that more and more of my mom comes out in me. Are we all destined to turn out exactly like our parents? Do we have a slim chance of becoming our own true selves, or are we doomed to clone ourselves with our children? LOL

wolfie
07-26-2004, 10:06 AM
I'm my own person... I hope.

I suppose I'm a little like my parents in some ways, but I'm not a lot like either of them.

heinz57_79
07-26-2004, 10:09 AM
I would think it'd be pretty obvious that I'm far from being a clone. ;) My dad is a teacher, an ordained minister, and has degrees in 101 things including psychology. The last thing I wanted to was teach. I dont even attend church, and generally consider myself Pagan. And I'm a college drop out. :) My mom... ha! I won't even touch that one. I'm a major procastinator. It's not even in the vocabulary of the rest of my family. Suffice it to say I wish I were simply the black sheep of the family. However, black is just too normal a colour. I would be the rainbow sheep, the lime green with purple polka dots sheep. :D

Desert Arabian
07-26-2004, 10:34 AM
I get my nasty short temper and anger problems from my dad- when dad gets mad he gets MAAAAD, same with me.

My bad math skills come from my dad.

I get my sense of humor from my mom, totally, my dad is 'dummer' than a brick wall when it comes to humor.

My good writing ( as in essays) comes from my mom.

Most of my traits I got from my mom and my dad, except for art, they can't do art at all, and my love for horses, neither of them have gotten bitten by the horse bug- but my mom does LOVE mules! :D

CatMama78
07-26-2004, 10:45 AM
As much as my mom and I did not get along while growig up, I realize I'm a mini my-mom now :). I see so many traits in the both of us. Of course that's probably why now we get along so well :).

jazzcat
07-26-2004, 11:12 AM
I voted that I am a blend but I think others would say I am a clone of my Dad. I do favor him a lot not just in looks but in mannerisms.

Tonya
07-26-2004, 11:21 AM
I think it's literally in the genes. My dad died when I was 1 year old, yet I am just like him. And Jaden, he's never met his biological father, yet he is so much like him.

The only thing that I got from my mom is issues with depression. Luckily, I am not as neurotic as her. :D

cloverfdx
07-26-2004, 11:21 AM
I am my own person also...

*Snort* I hope i am not like my Father, actualy i will never be like him. :rolleyes:

You have me thinking about my Mum now, i dont think we have that much in common except that neither of us can tollerate small noisy children ;).

JC, i could just picture you with purple polka dots and lovely lime green to match. :D

MariaM
07-26-2004, 11:28 AM
I'd like to say I'm my own person. My mom never follows directions, never listens, and never finishes her sentences. I do all three. I guess I get a little bit of my lazyness from her. I can't really say I inherited the computer addiction from her, because I was an addict before she was.

My dad takes about 10 minutes to finish a sentence, except when he's mad. When he's mad he usually just makes this huge sigh, has that voice that makes us know he's mad/disappointed in us, whereas I, just blow up and take it out on everyone around me.

I could compare a lot, but I think it's safe to say I'm my own person. Thank the lord for that!

BitsyNaceyDog
07-26-2004, 11:57 AM
I look like my mom but act just like my dad. I don't think I got any of my moms mannerisms, well maybe a couple, but not near as many as I got from my dad.

GoldenRetrLuver
07-26-2004, 12:09 PM
People say I'm the spitting image of my mom when she was my age. I get my short temper and stubborness from my Mom, and icky math skills and sence of humor from my dad.

I like to think I'm my own person, because neither of my parents are really "animal nuts" like I am, but we do share things in common.

aly
07-26-2004, 02:37 PM
I'm my own person, but I did choose the mom clone option since I'm such a mama's girl :o My sister is a complete clone of my dad though!

DJFyrewolf36
07-26-2004, 04:20 PM
I get a lot of traits from my parents, but I also am so different in a lot of ways! Physically, people think Im my moms sister :p. I got the math skills from dad except he can do calculus in his head and I need at least paper. Im a lot more athletic than both my parents ever were *played lots of sports, still do* but they are more into the crafts than I am *woodworking, knitting etc* My husband says I have dads temper *do'h* AND moms ability never to forgive and forget. oops :D

Uabassoon
07-26-2004, 04:28 PM
I think I'm just like my dad. We are both kind of goofy and nerdy and we have a lot of the same characteristics. I even see the qualities I don't like in him in myself. I remember I used to hate how I could never tell when he was angry or when he was just joking. My girlfriend always complains that she can never tell if I'm joking or angry, I never realized that I was like that too until she started commenting on it. There are a lot of other little things that we do the same. We both have the same sense of humor and mannerisims.