PDA

View Full Version : Recipes - Soup!

Randi
07-25-2004, 01:15 PM
I tried this the other day and didn't have high expectations, but it was actually quite yummy. :)

Cream of Cauliflower Soup

1 (1-pound) head cauliflower, cut into small florets, divided use
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
1 leek (white and pale green parts only), chopped
3/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup (or more) milk
Salt and white pepper to taste

Blanch 1 cup cauliflower florets in medium pot of boiling salted water until just crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold water; drain well. Set aside.

Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, leek, celery, and remaining cauliflower. Cover and cook until onion is tender but not brown, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes.
Add flour and stir 2 minutes. Gradually stir in vegetable broth. Add 1 cup milk. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover partially and simmer until vegetables are very tender and soup thickens, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.

Puree soup in blender in batches until smooth. (Caution! Hot liquids create steam which will blow the top off the blender! Be sure to securely hold blender lid down!) Return to same saucepan and heat thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with reserved cauliflower and serve.

Makes 4 servings.

tatsxxx11
07-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Oh yum Randi!!! My Mom, who was Norweigan, used to make a verison of this but I didn't have the recipe! I'm going to give a try very soon:)

Kater
07-25-2004, 06:00 PM
The Cauliflower soup sounds great - I'm going to have to try it! Thanks for the recipe!

Can I add a soup recipe? I just made a huge batch of my favorite lentil soup yesterday and I'd love to share the recipe. It's sooooo yummy!

Lemon Lentil Soup
Ingredients:
1 cup lentils
6 cups water
1 potato (peeled and cut in 1/2-inch cubes)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped Swiss chard
3 tablespoons olive oil (I use less than this)
1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon cumin powder
2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt to taste

Directions:
Rinse lentils. Bring lentils and water to boil in large pot. Simmer for 35 minutes.
In a separate pan heat oil, add black paper and potatoes. Fry for 2 minutes on high heat. Add celery and fry for 1 more minute. Add to lentil broth and cook 10 minutes.
Add Swiss chard, ground coriander, cumin powder, and lemon juice. Cook 10 minutes. Add parsley, coriander leaves and salt. Serve hot.
Serves 6.

G.P.girl
07-25-2004, 08:34 PM
oh yum, those sound good! especially the califlower, i'll hav eto dig up my soup recipes. my mom has the BESt potato soup recipe. it's so good for those freezing winter nights. :D yay, now i'm almost looking forward to winter

AmberLee
07-25-2004, 11:25 PM
I got this soup recipe from a Weight Watchers posting. Haven't tried it yet, but it does sound yummy!

Roasted Garlic Soup
This recipe serves 4. WW Points estimated at 1/2.

2 heads garlic
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
4 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves -- tough stems removed

Preheat oven to 425F. Remove papery covering of garlic. Slice off the top of each head so most of the cloves are exposed.

Place garlic heads in a small baking dish. Drizzle 1 tsp oil over each head. Cover dish with aluminum foil and roast for 45 minutes, until garlic is completely soft and lightly browned.

When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic pulp into a medium saucepan. Add broth, stir well to combine. Simmer 15 minutes. Before serving, stir in spinach, simmer until wilted, about 4 minutes. Stir vigorously. Serve hot.

Source: "The Roasted Vegetable Cookbook"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 91 Calories; 2g Fat (22.1% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 672mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

AmberLee
07-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Another WW soup, for summer this time.

Summer Fruit Soup
Servings: 4; Points: 2.5 Per Serving

3 cups cantaloupe -- or honey dew, cut up
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup fat-free yogurt -- plain
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons minced crystallized ginger = (or 1/2 tspn ground ginger)
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
Mint sprigs -- for garnish

Combine all ingredients (except sour cream and mint) and chill for 1 to 2 hours. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a mint sprig.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 131 Calories; 1g Fat (3.8% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 55mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Randi
08-17-2004, 07:45 AM
Thought it would be a good idea to post a conversion table here on page one, for when you cook. :)

In "Capacity and Volume" you'll find lots of different meassurements for various countries. As you'll see, there are also other convertions.

http://www.convert-me.com/en/

Logan
08-17-2004, 08:44 AM
Randi, I don't "do" Cauliflower, but keep on sending recipes!

That recipe for the Garlic Soup sounds great, Pauline! I'll have to try that one!!! :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Had to add this recipe to this thread to bump it up....and also so I can look the thread over and hopefully get some new ideas for soups. Soup season is here - yipee!!!

Cheesy Vegetable Soup

1 medium head cauliflower, broken into little pieces
1 medium carrot, shredded
¼ cup chopped celery
2 cups water
2 tsp chicken bullion granules
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
¾ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 cups milk
4 ounces (1 cup) cheddar cheese

In large saucepan combine cauliflower, carrots celery, water and bullion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until veggies are tender.

In another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat continuously stirring for 2 minutes or until thick. Reduce heater. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in cauliflower mixture.

Ok, what I do is I use a big can of low sodium chicken broth instead of water. I still add 1 or two bullion cubes to taste. I use frozen veggies. Put broth, veggies and bullion in a pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer until veggies are tender.

In the meantime I make a white sauce which you do by mixing equal parts of fat(butter) and flour. So if you use 1/2 cup butter, then you need 1/2 cup flour. I usually end up using an entire stick of butter and end up adding a bit more flour to make it a little thicker. Then I add the white sauce to the soup, stir it in, then add cheese. I usually use a whole bag of cheese because I'm a cheesehead at heart, but I leave a little bit left in the bag to sprinkle over the top when serving.

So, I hope you can decipher between the two of them because the end result is absolutely de-lish-us! And I'm starving right now and wish I had some of this at home to snarf down when I get there!

PJ's Mom
11-10-2004, 11:28 AM
If you like Chinese food:

4 cups prepared chicken stock, plus 2 tablespoons (low fat or low sodium is fine)
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 green onions, chopped, including ends (optional garnish)
Salt and white pepper, to taste

Bring soup stock, grated ginger and soy sauce to a boil. In a small cup, make a slurry by combining the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of chicken stock. Stir until dissolved. Slowly pour in the cornstarch mixture while stirring the stock, until thickened. Reduce heat to a simmer. Pour in the eggs slowly while stirring the soup in the same direction. The egg will spread and feather. Turn off the heat and add the green onions. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.

This is a really good, really simple soup. I usually make it with egg rolls or wontons. :)

Randi
06-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Years ago, I had a delicious pea soup (I think you can call it). Now that it's pea season ... plus I have some frozen ones too, I'd love to try to make this soup. It really was yummy!

So ... do any of you have a good recipe?

sasvermont
06-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Shrimp and Corn Soup

1 onion
1 to 2 pounds shrimp
1/4 green bell pepper
1 can whole-kernel corn
1/4 red bell pepper
2 cans creamed corn
1/2 bunch of parsley
1 can evaporated milk
2 teaspoonfuls chopped garlic
1 stick butter
8 to 10 fresh mushrooms
2 to 3 strips bacon
2 to 3 potatoes
2 capfuls liquid crab boil

The soup takes about half an hour to cook and about half an hour to prepare.

You can use fresh garlic if you like, but the already-chopped garlic available in jars at the store works equally well and is easier. Don't get heavy-handed with the garlic.

Where liquid crab boil is not available, a reasonable substitute can be made from Paul Prudhomme's "Seafood Magic", available at most stores. Put a teaspoon or two in a small jar, add a bit of warm water and mix very thoroughly. If you choose to not use the crab boil (or substitute), it's OK.

Small shrimp, about 70-count or so, are best.

Chop the onion, the bell peppers and the parsley fairly fine. They're supposed to essentially disappear in the soup. Put it all in a bowl together and off to the side.

Slice the mushrooms the same as you might for a salad. Put them in a bowl by themselves and then off to the side

Dice the potatoes. Put them in another bowl and then off to the side, too.

Put a large pot on the stove on a medium heat and then put the butter in it. Once the butter is melted, add the chopped vegetables and the garlic and sauté. Add the bacon about mid-way through the sautéing and, in a few minutes, add the mushrooms. Sauté some more.

Once the vegetables have been rendered, add all of the corn. Once the corn has warmed up, in a couple minutes or so, add the crab boil, the potatoes, the canned milk and about a can of water. Cook for 15 or 20 minutes, 'til it's very nearly at a boil.

While the vegetables are sautéing and, afterwards, while the soup is cooking, peel the shrimp. After the soup has cooked, as stated above, add the shrimp. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.

It's done! Some people add bacon bits on top of a bowl when serving.

captain
06-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Randi,

Gotta try THAT Cauliflower receipe ...... I do "do" Cauliflower ..... :D (Logan, I liked that comment) .... :D

kittycats_delight
08-13-2007, 01:09 PM
There seems to be quite a few soup lovers here on PT so here is a chance for you all to share your favorite soup recipes. I will start it off with 3 soup recipes and others can follow as they wish.

Let's see those yummy soups.

Chicken & Vegetable Soup

1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds cut into 8 pieces)
1 large onion (diced)
1/8 cup of minced garlic
2 large carrots (diced)
2 large celery stalks (diced)
1/2 lb of green beans (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
1 lb of fresh plum tomatoes (diced)
1 tsp of oregano
3 bay leaves
salt & pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups of frozen peas
1 cup of grated romano cheese

Rince a large pot and leave the moisture in it. Brown the chicken pieces over medium heat (this brings out the chickens natural oils). Add the onions & garlic and sauté them with the chicken until onions are clear.

Fill the pot one-half full with water. Add the sautéed chicken mixture,carrots, celery and green beans. Bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes, oregano, bay leaves, salt & pepper. Return to a boil. When it starts to boil again reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.

Remove the soup from heat, transfer the chicken pieces to a cutting board, and remove all bones and skin. Shred or chunk chicken (your preference) and then return to pot. Add the frozen peas and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Serve immediately and top with grated romano cheese if desired.

Serves 4 to 6 people.

Minestrone Soup

1 cup diced onion
1/8 cup of minced garlic
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 cup chopped cabbage
1 cup green beans (cut in 1/2 inch pieces)
1 cup diced zucchini squash
3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
3 celery stalks, diced
3 carrots, diced
3 cups of chopped tomatoes with their juices
8 cups chicken stock
2 cups of water
1 tbsp of sage
1 tbsp fresh basil
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
1 14 oz can of red kidney beans
1/2 lb (1 box) of egg noodles
salt & pepper to taste

Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil until onion is tender. Add the chopped veggies and tomatoes, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Transfer to a large pot, add the chicken stock and water, bring to a boil. Add herbs, and reduce heat, simmer for 30 minutes. Add the kidney beans and egg noodles, and cook until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Serves 4 to 6 people.

White Bean Soup

1 1/2 lbs of cannellini beans(white kidney beans) cooked and drained. (If you prefer to use canned 1 28 oz can)
6 cups of chicken broth
1 large red bell pepper chopped finely
1 large green bell pepper chopped finely
1 large onion minced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 tbsp basil
salt & pepper to taste

Purée the beans with the chicken broth and simmer in a large pot over very low heat. In a medium size skillet sauté the red and green peppers, onion and garlic in the olive oil until the pepper are tender. Stir this into puréed beans along with the basil. Salt & pepper to taste. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes and serve.

If you want to spice this soup up minced green chilis with the onions and add to the soup.

Serves 4 to 6 people.

kittycats_delight
08-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Good idea, but there's already a Soup recipe thread here. ;)

Really? Is it from awhile ago or is it recent? I hadn't seen one before. I will have to search for it. Thanks Randi. :)

jackmilliesmom
08-14-2007, 06:48 AM
Hey Randi thanks for the links but I cannot add to it so I am adding here:

Wild Mushroom Soup

2&1/2lb to 3lb of mushrooms wild if you can get them
2 pints of mixed vegetable & Chicken stock - use stock cubes if necessary
1 cup of Milk
1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
Parsley and Rosemary
Cream to Garnish

Take your oil and mushrooms and put into a heated saucepan and saute until softened add one pint of mixed stock and simmer for 10 mins then mix and add milk and the rest of the stock and simmer for a further 15 mins stirring all the time to prevent the milk from curdling.

Add a sprig of fresh Rosemary and some parsley keep some back for garnish.

Blend ingredients together with a hand blender or a food processor/blender being careful with the lid on it.

Serve in warmed bowls add a dolop of serving cream or pour on pouring cream and serve wiht warmed crusty rolls and garlic butter.

Try it in the winter on a really cold day - yumm

kittycats_delight
08-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Sorry I didn't get a chance to get the recipes posted in the old thread before someone else posted. About 10 minutes after I replied to you and while I was searching my net flaked out on me and it only now somewhat functional.

There are a ton of other foods to cover. What do you think would be a good one to start with. Pasta? Rice? Desserts? Maybe Ethnic or Exotic recipes?

I just finished getting my set of encyclopdia of Italian Cuisine and it has received great reviews from Chefs and experts all over. There are so killer recipes inside. I just have to translate them.

You're welcome! :) Just thought we should keep it to one thread.

Here it is: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=54508&highlight=recipees

... and some more: http://petoftheday.com/talk/search.php?searchid=1372562

We still need to cover lots of different foods though.

CathyBogart
08-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Tortilla Soup...WAY easy!

Chicken broth
Canned beans (kidney, garbanzo, whatever you like)
Cooked, cut up chicken
Hominy
Salt & Pepper
Salsa verde

Combine in whatever amounts appeal to you, and just before serving add whatever toppings you like:

Crumbled tortilla chips
Chopped avocado
cilantro
cheese
sour cream
chopped onions

shais_mom
08-14-2007, 01:07 PM
You're welcome! :)

... and some more: http://petoftheday.com/talk/search.php?searchid=1372562

this link doesn't work -

shais_mom
08-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Potato Soup
2 (16 ounce) packages frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup chopped celery
5 slices bacon, diced
4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
3 cups water
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
3 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
Place hash browns, onions, carrots, celery, water, and chicken broth in large stock pot. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir in undiluted cream soups, milk, and bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Let simmer for another 30 minutes.

love this recipe -
from www.allrecipes.com SUBMITTED BY: Nell

Karen
08-14-2007, 03:47 PM
I have merged the old and new Soup threads - now it is all one.

I miss soup - now that it is summer, I see gazpacho in our local deli and sigh. I am only NOT allergic to the tomatoes in gazpacho, but gazpacho and a crusty roll used to be a summertime lunch staple!

kittycats_delight
08-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks for merging the 2 Karen. I didn't want to repost in the old one and have anyone lose their posts.

cyber-sibes
08-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Potato SoupPLEASE don't forget to post the Zuppa Toscana recipe you said you had!?!

shais_mom
12-09-2007, 11:09 PM
http://www.zuppa-toscana.com/recipes/olive-garden-zuppa-toscana.html

INGREDIENTS
1 lb ground Italian sausage
1½ tsp crushed red peppers
1 large diced white onion
4 Tbsp bacon pieces
2 tsp garlic puree
10 cups water
5 cubes of chicken bouillon
1 cup heavy cream
1 lb sliced Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes
¼ of a bunch of kale
Sautee Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.

In the same pan, sautee bacon, onions and garlic for approxiamtly 15 mins. or until the onions are soft.
Mix together the chicken bouillon and water, then add it to the onions, bacon and garlic. Cook until boiling.

Add potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.
Add heavy cream and cook until thoughouly heated.
Stir in the sausage.
Add kale just before serving. Delicious!

I used Maple Sausage instead of Spicey and Fresh Spinach instead of Kale. :)

shais_mom
12-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Tortilla Soup...WAY easy!

Chicken broth
Canned beans (kidney, garbanzo, whatever you like)
Cooked, cut up chicken
Hominy
Salt & Pepper
Salsa verde

Combine in whatever amounts appeal to you, and just before serving add whatever toppings you like:

Crumbled tortilla chips
Chopped avocado
cilantro
cheese
sour cream
chopped onions
I searched and searched the net the other nite for Tortilla soup - didn't think of PET TALK! :)
I made a version of Tortilla soup - similiar to this except without hominy or beans. But I did add Corn. I think I'm going to make some more this week... YUMMY!

cyber-sibes
12-10-2007, 06:47 AM
Yeah! Zuppa Toscana!
Bless you , Staci! The perfect soup for cold weather!

Medusa
12-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Oh boy, do I ever love soup! I could live on soup, pasta and rice. Wait, I do live on soup, pasta and rice. If anyone starts a thread for pasta, I'm excited!

Randi
12-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Creamy Jerusalem Artichoke soup

Olive oil
6-8 Jerusalem Artichokes
1-2 potatoes
1 small onion
1 clove of garlic
vegetable or chicken stock
salt
pepper

Cut a small onion and a clove of garlic in smaller pieces and put it in a pot with a bit of oil.

Peel the Jerusalem Artichokes, cut them into pieces and also the potatoes and put them in the pot. Add about 1/2 liter of vegetable stock or chicken stock. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 25 min. covered with a lid. Stir now and again.

Let it cool off a bit and pour into a blender and whirl it around. Pour it back into the pot and add about 1 dl of milk and/or cream and heat it. Add some salt and pepper to taste.

That’s it - enjoy! :)

jennielynn1970
12-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Years ago, I had a delicious pea soup (I think you can call it). Now that it's pea season ... plus I have some frozen ones too, I'd love to try to make this soup. It really was yummy!

So ... do any of you have a good recipe?

Hey Randi,
I have a really good recipe for Swedish Yellow Pea soup. I lived in Sweden (close to where you are) for a year and loved a lot of the food. The pea soup was out of this world, and they would swirl dark mustard in the bowl before putting the soup on top of it. Yummmm!!!!

jennielynn1970
12-30-2007, 02:47 PM
I just made a really fantastic Creamy Black Bean soup last week if anyone is interested in that recipe. I combined about 3 different ones, and then tossed in a few things I wanted. It's not the most attractive looking soup (pureed black beans kinda look like barf....lol).

I also have a Creamy White Bean and Sausage soup that was out of this world. I made that for our Harvest Luncheon at school and it as a hit.

Right now I have smoked turkey in a pot with veggies to make a stock for Smoked Turkey and Lentil soup. I can put the recipe up for that one as well.

I never used to like making soups, but now that I live alone and freeze the extras, it's nice to just come home and pop some soup in the microwave for a hot dinner during the week instead of cooking it and waiting when I've been working all day and tutoring after school.

Scooter's Mom
12-30-2007, 03:44 PM
I also have a Creamy White Bean and Sausage soup that was out of this world. I made that for our Harvest Luncheon at school and it as a hit.

This one sounds yummy to me!

jennielynn1970
12-30-2007, 04:27 PM
This soup gets better as it sits. By the 2nd day, the flavor of the Chorizo was all through it, and just yummy! If you don't like hot sausage, plain sausage can be used as well.

Creamy White Bean And Chorizo Soup
Bon Appétit | February 2006

Since the beans need to soak overnight, be sure to begin one day ahead. Spicy Italian sausage is a good substitute for the chorizo. You can also use canned white beans to cut out the soaking time, which is what I did.

Makes 6 main-course servings.

1 pound dried cannellini or Great Northern beans (generous 2 cups)
8 cups water
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3 garlic cloves; 1 smashed, 2 chopped
1 large fresh rosemary sprig
1 bay leaf
1 large onion, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
1 large carrot, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 large celery stalk, coarsely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
2 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme, divided
4 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth
1 pound fresh chorizo link sausages, casings removed
1/4 cup whipping cream

Place beans in heavy large saucepan. Add enough water to pan to cover beans by 4 inches. Let beans soak overnight at room temperature. Drain and rinse beans; return to same saucepan. Add 8 cups water, 1 tablespoon oil, smashed garlic clove, rosemary, and bay leaf. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and simmer until beans are just tender, 1 to 11/2 hours. Season to taste with salt. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cool slightly, cover, and chill.)

Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid. Discard rosemary sprig and bay leaf. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until vegetables are beginning to soften, about 10 minutes. Add chopped garlic and 1 teaspoon thyme; sauté 2 minutes. Add 2 cups reserved bean cooking liquid, 4 cups chicken broth, and beans. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Cool soup 10 minutes. Meanwhile, sauté chorizo in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, breaking up lumps with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Transfer chorizo to paper towels to drain. Using slotted spoon, remove 1 1/2 cups bean mixture from soup; reserve. Working in batches, puree remaining soup in blender until smooth. (OR, do what I did, and use an Immersion Blender, and puree right in the pot. Much less mess!!) Return puree to pot. Stir in reserved whole-bean mixture, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, chorizo, and cream. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill uncovered until cold. Cover and keep chilled.) Rewarm soup over medium heat, thinning with more broth if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Divide soup among bowls and serve.

Randi
10-13-2008, 12:02 PM
This is a soup I may want to try soon - from COOKS.COM

CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP

<!----><!--CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP-->2 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. chopped carrots
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 lg. potato, diced
6 c. chicken broth
Bay leaf
1/4 tsp. thyme
1 head broccoli
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. pepper
Salt to taste
2 c. half & half cream

In stock pot, melt butter and saute carrots, onions, celery, garlic and potato 5 minutes. Add chicken stock, bay leaf, and thyme. Cut off broccoli flowerets and add to pot. Peel stems, cut into chunks, add to pot. Lower heat and simmer 30 minutes until tender. Remove bay leaf. Puree mixture in food processor or blender. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in cream. Heat, do not boil.

Medusa
10-13-2008, 02:00 PM
This is a soup I may want to try soon - from COOKS.COM

CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP

<!----><!--CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP-->2 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. chopped carrots
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 lg. potato, diced
6 c. chicken broth
Bay leaf
1/4 tsp. thyme
1 head broccoli
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. pepper
Salt to taste
2 c. half & half cream

In stock pot, melt butter and saute carrots, onions, celery, garlic and potato 5 minutes. Add chicken stock, bay leaf, and thyme. Cut off broccoli flowerets and add to pot. Peel stems, cut into chunks, add to pot. Lower heat and simmer 30 minutes until tender. Remove bay leaf. Puree mixture in food processor or blender. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in cream. Heat, do not boil.

Oh boy, another yummy soup! I love PT!

shais_mom
11-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Lasagna Soup!
Ingredients
1 lb bulk Italian sausage
2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup carrot, diced
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, chopped
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup mafalda pasta or campenelle pasta
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1 cup provolone cheese or fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded (for garnish)
4 teaspoons thinly sliced fresh basil (for garnish)
Directions
1 Brown sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and carrots; saute 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic, and saute another 3 minutes.
2 Add broth, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce, and bring to a boil. Drop in pasta and simmer until cooked, about 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted.
3 Place 1/4 cup cheese into serving bowls and pour soup on top. Garnish with Parmesan and basil.

I of course adapted it to my tastes.
I used Ground Pork AND Beef.
I used 6 cans of chicken broth
I used the LARGE can of DICED tomotoes.
I used dried basil mixed in the soup.
I used Natural Cheese Crumbles b/c I couldn't find provolone and this town didn't have Fresh Mozzeralla.
I used Piccolini® Mini Farfalle b/c I couldn't find the mafalda pasta or campenelle pasta in this town either.
I used maybe a half tsp of minced garlic.
No onion.
I used One large can of mushroom pieces and stems.
and I used Shredded Carrots - they cooked faster.
And FROZEN chopped spinach. -
I divided it up and took a bowl to my neighbors. When I was putting it in my bowls for the freezer - I thought it needed more juice to make it soupier so I added a LARGE can of CRUSHED tomatoes.

RedHedd
11-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I just made a pot of soup this past weekend. I used Trader Joe's Mixed Bean soup mix. It's not really a soup mix, but it is a nice mix of soup beans. I sort-of followed the directions on the bag, except I left out the bell pepper because I hate them and the tomatoes because my soup pot just wasn't big enough to hold everything.

Next time I will get a bigger pot and add the tomatoes because it just seemed to lack something. Also because of that lack, I kept adding in different things - sage, thyme, red pepper flakes and last but not least some red curry - and ended up with a really good soup!

sirrahbed
11-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Twice this season I have made a big ole pot of 15 bean soup - it is also used with a dried assortment of beans and is made by Hurst HamBeen's. It comes in several flavors and I prefer the ham. Soak them in a crockpot overnight and then turn it on the next morning. I throw in raw onions, leftover ham or porkroast etc and a can of Rotel tomatos with green chilis. Sometimes I will add in some chili powder and cumin for a mexican-type taste. YUM!!! Wonderful with a pan of cornbread:D

I will dig out a few favorite recipes now that soup weather is here - I make it at least once a week.

RICHARD
11-12-2008, 03:46 PM
I used One large can of mushroom pieces and stems.

Did the mushrooms scream?
:D

-------------

Split pea soup.

I take a bag of peas and either-soak overnight or do the quick cook method on the package.

1 bag of peas - 1 lb?
Two carrots,
Two cloves of garlic,
2 celery stalks.
Two med potatoes
I chunk of salt pork, 1 ham steak (1 lb.) or two ham hocks

Cut the ham or salt pork into small chunks. set aside
Chop all the veggies into small chunks.

Heat up a soup pot and add oil, crush the garlic - add to pot and cook for a minute. Add the veggies and meat, cook for about three to five minutes, add a gallon of water. Wait about 10 minutes and add peas - cook until tender.

To make a creamy soup - take half of the finished product, blend and return to pot. Serve with croutons on top.

I left out salt and other spices because you know what you like!

caseysmom
11-12-2008, 04:45 PM
I've got white beans in the crock pot for the creamy white bean soup tonight.

jennielynn1970
11-12-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm making this later this week, since I have apples that need to be eaten.

Mulligatawny Soup

One onion, diced
1/4 c. butter
1 carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 apple, peeled and cut into chunks
1 c. cooked chicked, cut up
1/3 c. flour
1 tsp. curry powder
1/8 tsp. mace
2 whole cloves
1 sprig fresh parsley
2 c. chicken stock

Saute onion in butter in deep pot. Add carrots, celery, green pepper, apple and chicken. Stir in remaining ingredients gradually. SImmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Serve hot.

This is one of the yummiest soups I've ever had.

RICHARD
11-12-2008, 05:56 PM
WTF? Stay outta my head.
I swear to George....

I went to the store and bought three bags of beans/peas.

15 bean soup, white beans and split peas...

So where were you all while I was shopping?:eek::)

jennielynn1970
11-12-2008, 05:59 PM
I have lentils out the wazoo... well, not literally, lol, but you know what I mean.

I went to the arabic store and bought orange and green lentils, and didn't realize how few lentils you need to make soup. I now have a cereal box tupperware container with each of them in it.

I've made lentils so many different ways, I'm really getting tired of them!

Any other ideas for lentils???

Moesha
11-12-2008, 06:03 PM
No idea for lentils, but I've been meaning to make O'Charley's Loaded Potato Soup for weeks. I finally purchased the ingredients and realized that I'll be dog sitting at someone's house starting on Friday. I don't want to make it and let it just sit around. I guess I won't get my soup until next week sometime. I did make chili last weekend though!

ETA: Jenn, the picture in your signature is beautiful. I just took one that reminds me of it at the house where I'll be dog sitting. They always have the most beautiful driveway in the fall!

jennielynn1970
11-12-2008, 06:17 PM
ETA: Jenn, the picture in your signature is beautiful. I just took one that reminds me of it at the house where I'll be dog sitting. They always have the most beautiful driveway in the fall!

I found it on Photobucket images, lol. ;) Reminds me of where I grew up in the Poconos.

RICHARD
11-12-2008, 06:43 PM
I have lentils out the wazoo... well, not literally, lol, but you know what I mean.

You may want to call your health care provider, I know nothing of Wazoos!;)

Are they similar to peas?

Recipes please?:D

caseysmom
11-12-2008, 06:45 PM
You can make a cold lentil bean salad with fresh cilantro and cut up cucumbers...maybe some onions...

shepgirl
11-12-2008, 06:56 PM

I went to the arabic store and bought orange and green lentils, and didn't realize how few lentils you need to make soup. I now have a cereal box tupperware container with each of them in it.

I've made lentils so many different ways, I'm really getting tired of them!

This isn't soup but if you want an idea for the lentils I often cook a pot of macaronni , throw in a can of mushroom soup and add a can of lentils. we all love it for a quick meal and a change.

jennielynn1970
11-12-2008, 07:36 PM
You can make a cold lentil bean salad with fresh cilantro and cut up cucumbers...maybe some onions...

Oh... my mom would love that too! How do you make it??

caseysmom
11-12-2008, 07:58 PM
I am not really sure someone in my ww meeting had brought it, I think you can ad lib as you go just cook the lentils till they are still a little firm and cool them and add what you like, I think chopped tomatoes, onions and cucumbers would be good and it is very good for you.

I just had the white bean soup...very tasty,,, I went too crazy with the boat motor as usual and it had no texture but everyone liked it...I told my daughter it had pork, didn't tell her it had pig cheeks:D

jennielynn1970
11-12-2008, 08:15 PM
I am not really sure someone in my ww meeting had brought it, I think you can ad lib as you go just cook the lentils till they are still a little firm and cool them and add what you like, I think chopped tomatoes, onions and cucumbers would be good and it is very good for you.

I just had the white bean soup...very tasty,,, I went too crazy with the boat motor as usual and it had no texture but everyone liked it...I told my daughter it had pork, didn't tell her it had pig cheeks:D

Well, you could just say it's a bisque, lol.

Pig cheeks? Never had them. At least that I know of.

My friend used to tell her kids they were having steak when they were little, and they loved it. It was LIVER!

caseysmom
11-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Chorizo is pig cheeks....:eek:

RICHARD
11-13-2008, 12:12 PM
I just finished my pot of SP soup.

I ran about 2/3s of it thru the blender and man, it rocks!

When it cools down I'll pack some for the freezer.

Medusa
11-13-2008, 12:14 PM
I just finished my pot of SP soup.

What is dat?

RICHARD
11-13-2008, 12:52 PM
What is dat?

Split pea. LOL, I had dinner done before 9:15 this morning..:D

That's what I like about this time of year, it's cool enough to cook in the morning and warm enough to work outside the rest of the day.

Edwina's Secretary
11-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Chorizo is pig cheeks....:eek:

While chorizo may have pig cheeks in it....as is true of any pork sausage -- tht is not what it is made from. It is just a pork sausage (usually pork anyway) that has seasonings in it.

I have eaten fish cheeks. Taste the same as fish anything else! :D:D

caseysmom
11-13-2008, 01:36 PM
While chorizo may have pig cheeks in it....as is true of any pork sausage -- tht is not what it is made from. It is just a pork sausage (usually pork anyway) that has seasonings in it.

I have eaten fish cheeks. Taste the same as fish anything else! :D:D

It was one of the top ingredients on the pack I bought...so sue me.

jennielynn1970
11-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Wow... I never paid attention to the packs of chorizo. As long as it's not tusks, hooves and snouts, I'm good to go!!

Come to think of it, I get all my "country style" sausage from my dad's buddy when they butcher. I'm guessing I'm getting pig cheeks in those too. It's the best sausage I've ever had. They make amazing smoked sausage too. Makes me want pancakes and smoked sausage!

Back to soup.

I need smoked turkey or something to make more lentil soup. At the moment all I have are FISH STICKS, and I don't think those are going to cut it, lol.

Edwina's Secretary
11-13-2008, 01:44 PM
It was one of the top ingredients on the pack I bought...so sue me.

Really? My bad! Oh well....meat is meat...:D;)

sirrahbed
11-16-2008, 07:46 PM
We had the YUMMIEST soup tonight - the recipe is one I copied last year from here - it was posted by Sallyanne and wow was it ever good!!! I hope some of you will try it. It is like a spicy bean soup and just fabulous!! We had it with a pan of cornbread.

White Chili - Sasvermont

2 medium onions
4-6 chicken breast halves
1 T. olive oil
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 4oz. cans green chilies chopped
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 ½ tsp. dried oregano crumbled
¼ tsp. cayenne red pepper
4 16 oz. cans white beans with juice
4 cups of chicken broth
12 oz. Monterey Jack cheese

Place chicken in cold water, bring to simmer until tender (15 mins.) Drain and cool and chop! Heat oil in same pan, medium high heat. Add onions, sauté 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano and red pepper – sauté 2 minutes. Add undrained beans and chicken broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, add chicken until heated. Remove from heat. Add cheese, stir to melt and serve. And the best part – add a dollop of sour cream!

caseysmom
11-16-2008, 08:07 PM
That recipe for white chili sounds really good I will try it for sure.

Today we were going to be gone all day so I put a bag and a half of white beans in the crockpot after soaking them all night. I put some salt pepper and dried thyme in with them and 2 hamhocks and let it all go on low about 9 hours, it was yummy,,,I am sure ham hocks aren't the healthies thing in the world though.

Medusa
11-20-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm making this later this week, since I have apples that need to be eaten.

Mulligatawny Soup

One onion, diced
1/4 c. butter
1 carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 apple, peeled and cut into chunks
1 c. cooked chicked, cut up
1/3 c. flour
1 tsp. curry powder
1/8 tsp. mace
2 whole cloves
1 sprig fresh parsley
2 c. chicken stock

Saute onion in butter in deep pot. Add carrots, celery, green pepper, apple and chicken. Stir in remaining ingredients gradually. SImmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Serve hot.

This is one of the yummiest soups I've ever had.

This sounds so yummy; I plan to make it soon but since I detest apples but will cook w/them, is there a specific kind of apple to use or will any kind do?

jennielynn1970
11-20-2008, 04:50 PM
This sounds so yummy; I plan to make it soon but since I detest apples but will cook w/them, is there a specific kind of apple to use or will any kind do?

I like to use Macintosh apples, because they're softer and break down easier in the soup. If you are not a fan of apples, do not use a firm apple like grannies or something like that. Macs tend to be great for sauces and cakes and pies, and I love their flavor as well.

Let me know what you think! I love this soup!

ps... I can't imagine detesting apples! I hate red deliciious apples, but that's just me. most apples I do like. Honeycrunch are SPECTACULAR, and only around for a few weeks each year.

ChrisH
08-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Made a slightly changed version of this very simple recipe for Leek and Potato soup last Friday. Halved ingredients, used Knorr veg stock instead of chicken, left out the cream, added a little garlic and the merest pinch of chilli. It was yummy.

2 Leeks
2 Large Potatoes
2 Chicken Cubes
Knob of butter
Pepper
Single cream (optional)

Cut the leeks down the middle and slice and then fry gently in the butter

Chop the potatoes into small cubes put them into 2 pints of water with 2 chicken cubes. Cook until soft.

Add the leeks to the potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes adding the pepper, (a good 1/2 teaspoon).

As you serve you can add a small amount of cream, to make cream of leek and potato soup, but this is optional

Delicious with a crusty bread roll.

Randi
03-08-2010, 10:08 AM
I was going to make the cauliflower soup, but forgot to buy leeks and celery when I was out shopping, so I'm cooking the Jerusalem Artichoke soup instead. Yumm! Now, if only my oven was working! :rolleyes: (for the flutes)

Have any of you tried the recipes posted? Let's get some feed-back! Sorry, I haven't tried any of them yet. :o

wombat2u2004
03-08-2010, 10:23 PM
WOMS LONG SOUP

1 knob grated ginger
3 cups chicken stock
3 tablespoons dark soy sauce

Bring to boil

Add half cup shredded chicken
Add half cup of spring onions (cut into half inch lengths)

Bring to boil

Add 400g of fresh Singapore noodles or Hokkien noodles
Add 1 cup sliced cabbage

Bring to boil

Taste (if too rich or too thick, add one cup of water)

Add 3 or four drops of sesame oil.

Lady's Human
03-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Okay, WOm, how much is a knob?

wombat2u2004
03-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Okay, WOm, how much is a knob?

About the size of a walnut.

Lady's Human
03-08-2010, 11:15 PM
English walnut or a black walnut? :p

wombat2u2004
03-09-2010, 12:08 AM
An Aussie walnut. About as big as my brain....the size of a large grape :D

RICHARD
03-10-2010, 02:46 PM
I made a very simple veggie soup last night.

Veggie soup.

2 quarts of water.
2 bullion cubes-any flavor will to- I used shrimp.
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 stalks of celery, sliced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 cup of green beans.
1 tsp basil
salt and pepper to taste.

Put the bullion cubes and water on to heat.

Chop and add the veggies.

Cook for about 45 minutes to one hour on low heat.

-----

I did add rice to the mix towards the end. 1/2 cup if you like- you could add a hand full on noodles?

caseysmom
09-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Its getting close to soup time again, there is a definite nip in the air. I think I am going to put some ham hocks and white beans in the crock pot soon.

Marigold2
09-26-2010, 12:11 PM
I just love soup and try to have some in the house at all times. The stuff in cans has too much salt.
Years ago hubby and I had a pepper soup made with red, yellow and green peppers. There was no cheese in the recipe and the peppers where not cooked to a pulp. It was a bit creamy. The resturant has closed since. Does anyone have a recipe for pepper soup? I have tons in my garden now.

Marigold2
09-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Mulligatawny Soup was a soup name I heard on Seinfeld but never knew what kind it was.

Marigold2
10-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Going to make the Cauliflower soup for hubby tonight. Thanks for all the great recipes, keep them coming.

Randi
07-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Here's a really tasty Gazpacho...

Gazpacho

2 slices bread (crusts removed)
4-5 large ripe tomatoes
2 small green peppers
1/2 cucumber
1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic
70 ml. olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
5 table spoons winegar (white)
1/4 - 1/2 liter of water

Put the bread to soak in water.
Peel the tomatoes (dip them in boiling water for 10 seconds). Cut them into chunks and put them into the blender with the seeded peppers, cucumber and onion, garlic, all cut in pieces. whirl until pureed and strain into a large bowl.
Squeese the water from the bread and puree in the blender, then add the salt and winegar. With the motor running add the oil in a slow stream until coorporated into the bread. Ladle some of the tomato back into the processor, then mix with the bowl of tomato puree. Stir in the water and adjust the seasoning.

Chill until serving time!

Garnish with finely chopped, tomatoes, onions, peppers, cucumbers, hardboiled eggs and croutons. (use the yummy Italian ones!)

Karen
07-25-2014, 06:53 PM
Yum, and it is sooo gazpacho time! :) I wonder how long it would keep, as Paul wouldn't want any (tomatoes being high in potassium, he needs to limit how many he can have) so it would be just me. How long did the batch you make lady, Randi?

Randi
07-26-2014, 03:55 AM
Karen, when I make it I put two portions in a bowl, that I keep in the fridge. The rest I put in the freezer in various size bowls. I got the recipe from Alvin Lee's wife, he loved it! So did John. :)