PDA

View Full Version : fur-child custody battle

aguu
09-24-2001, 03:25 PM
I would like some feedback as to who a pet belongs to in a divorce situation. Jake (hoping he will be a COD one of these days, I sent in a nomination months ago)adopted us in a way - he moved in from next door. I called him my miracle kitty because he was the first cat ever that I was not allergic to. I took him to the vet and picked up after him. We both loved him but I was the one who did the unpleasant stuff as well as the pleasant. I think he should come with me. What arguments could my husband have agains that????? Can anyone think of any?

Logan
09-24-2001, 03:59 PM
Aguu, I am so sorry that you are even having to ask this question. I have been through what you are going through...we had two pets, a yellow Lab, who was my husbands dog before we got married, and Mimi, our cat, who came to us while we were married. Somehow, we just knew that Chuck should stay with "Dad", and Mimi came with me. We didn't have any arguments over it, but I continued to love Chuck (still have his picture right here on my desk), and Mimi is still loved by her "Dad", but lives with us. Chuck went to the Rainbow Bridge a year or so ago at the age of 15, and thank goodness, Mimi is still going strong at 12 years old.
I don't know if there is such thing as "joint" custody for a cat, but I have several friends who have shared custody of their dogs.
Good luck to you. Hope you don't have to make a judge decide this, but if you do, sounds like you should come out on top.
Logan

Karen
09-24-2001, 05:22 PM
You have an allergy to other cats, but not Jake - so you should get to keep him, says I, but your almost-ex can have visiting rights! Offer to get another (shelter) cat for him - if he's not allergic, he has far more choices than you!

NoahsMommy
09-24-2001, 05:27 PM
Maybe if there is also the decision on who keeps the home, that can fall into the same category. Cat's are very uneasy with moving, that could be a "point" for whoever is staying in the same house.

I am sorry you are having to decide this...I hope you get to keep Jake!! I will keep you in my prayers tonight. :(

thelmalu99
09-25-2001, 10:50 AM
I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. :(

I agree with Karen. Jake is the only cat that has not triggered an allergic reaction and it sounds to me like you really enjoy having a cat around. You should keep him. I know your ex will miss him, but he can always have visitation rights. :)

Good luck!

tatsxxx11
09-28-2001, 05:53 PM
Aguu....Check out www.aldf.org (http://www.aldf.org) (The Animal League Defense Fund) They have an excellent section (free legal advice) concerning the laws regarding this issue; as well as other laws and rights regarding guardians and companion animals. I am so sorry you are going through this. I wish you the best. Sandra