PDA

View Full Version : More kitty tummy troubles

Lacey
07-24-2004, 08:08 AM
Oy! One of my two darlings is having a nasty time with his or her tummy and I'm not sure which one. I suspect Mowgli because I keep having to wash the stuff off his feet. Both kitties seem to be feeling well. Activity levels are pretty high. And I don't really want to run them to the vet at this point because Mowg goes back for boosters on the 31st. So as long as they seem to be feeling ok, I think I can wait (and then haul them both in to be sure Zelda's not the one with the problems). However, if even one of them starts to seem even the slightest bit sicky feeling, we're zooming off to the vet asap.

There haven't been any recent diet changes. Zelda's got a nearly empty bag of Meow Mix because Walmart was out of Indoor Formula Cat Chow the last time I needed to food shop for her, but she's been scarfing that down for a couple of weeks now. Mowgli gets Kitten Chow. And they both get Whisker Lickin's and Temptations.

Right now I'm going to let them fast for the day to clean out their systems, and then fix them a bit of chicken and rice this evening, since that should be pretty easy on their tummies. Also, I've heard that it's ok to give kitties Tums, but I'm not sure of the proper dosage. Any help would be much appreciated!

Craftlady
07-24-2004, 10:04 AM
I had to give Skinny 1/2 tsp 3 times a day of Kaopectate (cherry flavored) for diarreha. This was according to his weight of 8 lbs. and severity of the diarreha. I would call your vet first to comfirm doseage.

Before I would give your kitty anything for tummy, I would see if the fasting works . Actually I've heard the water the rice was cooked in is good source for tummy problems. Use those rice cooken bags that you drop into boiling water.

Lacey
07-24-2004, 11:12 AM
I definitely intend to see if the fasting works out before I try anything else. Hopefully it will. In the meantime, I think my stinky poo guts culprit is Zelda. At least, that's what examining the backsides leaves me to believe. Now I need to go hunting for those handy-dandy instructions on how to give a butt bath.

jazzcat
07-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Is it possible that Zelda is eating the kitten food, even a little of it? When I got Jazz and was feeding her kitten food I know that Ripley would eat it and get tummy problems because it is so rich.

Lacey
07-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Actually, she does dig into the kitten food. She loves getting into the stuff. I never would've thought it'd run a number on her tummy, though. I guess I'd better start thinking of ways to get Mowgli fed without Zelda joining in. Hmmmm... That'll be a challenge.

In the meantime, she was successfully given her very first butt bath. :D She's not too mad at me, at least. I wrapped her up in the towel, told her how good she was, and gave her lots of cuddling. She even handled the butt bath fairly well. But boy was she ever glad when I let her out of the tub!

rg_girlca
07-24-2004, 01:04 PM
Aww I'm sorry to hear that Zelda is having tummy problems.
I also think it could be the kitten food as the same thing happened to my Katie when she would eat Mooky's kitty food and vice versa when Mooky would eat Katie's food.
Such a good girl Zelda in taking your butt bath. Kisses for you sweetie.
I hope you are able to come to a solution with your problem.
For me, I had to put Mooky in a room with all his things and then let him out when I got home. Put his food somewhere so Katie couldn't get it, bring Katies food in the same room I was in and when I would see Mooky wanting to eat, bring him to his food.
This went on for months and months until Mooky graduated to adult food. But it was worth it to not have them both land up with tummy problems.
Good luck.