PDA

View Full Version : Boomer's new carrier is a hit!!

Sirrahsim
07-24-2004, 06:41 AM
I bought this new samsonite deluxe carrier for my sweet Boomer from one of the EBay stores:) It took over a month to get here (APO address:(), but it was worth the wait:) He was excited from the moment we opened the box it was in. The silly boy has no clue that this new "bed" we have gotten for him will one day be used to cart him off to the v-e-t. Hopefully I can keep that part a secret until October when it is time for his shots. Without further blah blahing, here he is inspecting and approving the new soft sided carrier:)
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/carrier.jpg
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/carrier2.jpg
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/carrier1.jpg
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/carrier4.jpg
and settling in for a thorough paw cleaning session
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v143/sirrahsim/carrier3.jpg

By the way, that mesh is really soem sort of tripled reinforced plastic mesh, so even if he had a catfit he couldn't get out!

smokey the elder
07-24-2004, 06:57 AM
I guess it conforms to (kitty) milspecs! :D

catcrazylady
07-24-2004, 08:24 AM
AWWWWE Boomer you got a new carrier...oops...I mean BED! Will that also one day cart you back to the USA? You are so cute in there. I hope you still like it after it takes you to that nasty V-E-T place!:) :)

catmandu
07-24-2004, 08:32 AM
I wonder what will happen,the first time,that you use his new bed,to take him,to the Vets! I tricked 4,of the Siamese that way,lat year,by using thier carrier,as a bed too! And lets say,that they are a little more wary!Boomer looks so Happy,in his new Bed!

sirrahbed
07-24-2004, 09:10 AM
Looks like great carrier....uh...BED:D That will also bring Boomer to America right? It really lloks nice and good idea letting him make friends with it!!!

catnapper
07-24-2004, 09:18 AM
Thats really cool!!! I've never seen a carrier like that.

Sirrahsim
07-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
Thats really cool!!! I've never seen a carrier like that.

Yeah! I think it's cool too:) We got it because we heard that we can take Boomer in cabin with us when we finally do fly back to the states!:) I checked that out and found out that that was accurate, so even though we're here for a few more years I went ahead and bought one.
Airlines have special requirements for carrying your pet in cabin, and having the pet in a soft-sided carrier with a support frame is a must. It has mesh on 4 sides, and of course the two entrances are really neat:) There is also a pocket to hold the necessary documents, which in our case will be a health certificate that's less than 10 days old and his rabies vaccination certificate.
Anyway, I've rambled on enough:rolleyes: :D I'm wondering if I should take him out in it sometime before his v-e-t appointment and get him a special treat so maybe he'll associate teh carrier with a good thing. Could he eat a plain hamburger? Or a chicken nugget? Or maybe a little vanilla ice cream?

sirrahbed
07-24-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Sirrahsim
Could he eat a plain hamburger? Or a chicken nugget? Or maybe a little vanilla ice cream?
Probably any of the above would make him happy:D How about all three?:p

catnapper
07-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Thats great that you have everythng you'll need to fly him back to the states! I think its a good idea to take him for little fun trips before the traumatic big vet trip! :D

boomer, is meowmie suggesting that the best way to bribe you is through food? Shocking. Simply shocking. :D

RedHedd
07-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Missy, please do a test run in a safe area before you take Boomer out in public in that carrier. I have gone through TWO of that exact same model and returned both. The top zippers come apart VERY EASILY. They are plastic and just snap apart. Mishi almost escaped into the street one day when I was taking him to the vet - I was shocked to see his little head peeking through the top as I walked to the vet's office. The second one (I exchanged the first one for another) I decided not to use the top zippers at all, but it didn't matter. Just the weight and the movement of carrying a cat in it made the zipper pop open and no one was able to zip it up again.

The manufacturer never got back to me about the poorly functional carrier but Future Pets was nice enough to take it back again. I was able to exchange it for a really nice, albeit very expensive, Sherpa model. Future Pets had them on sale. It was pricey, but the safety of my cats is priceless to me. Good luck!

rg_girlca
07-24-2004, 01:51 PM
RedHedd, I was just going to post the same thing about that make of cat carrier.
A girlfriend of mine had the same one. She had let her cat, Baby, get use to it and would carry her around the house in it. Seemed okay the few times she used it.
Then came the day to carry Baby in it to the vets, which was just about 3 blocks away from her house and near the 3rd block, the zipper somehow gave way and out plopped Baby. It's a good thing that Baby froze for a few seconds so my girlfriend was able to grab her before she ran anywhere.
Needless to say, she brought it back to the store, got her money back and stuck to the traditional plastic kind.
I'm sorry to put a damper on your excitement Missy in purchasing this cat carrier, but as RedHedd, I thought you should know.

Sirrahsim
07-24-2004, 08:13 PM
are you sure that is the same carrier? Mine has metal zippers plus an extra locking mechanism thingy. Maybe they have redesigned it? Or it's a higher quality knockoff?:confused: :confused: :confused: I did buy it off of an ebay store. and it does say Samsonite. hmmm
Yeah, but the zippers are most definately the metal kind

rg_girlca
07-24-2004, 09:59 PM
PHEW...okay Missy, they definitely must have redesigned it better with the metal zippers. They probably had too many complaints from buyers of the earlier model.
I'm sorry to worry you, I should have asked first if the zipper was plastic or metal.

RedHedd
07-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Phew! Like rg_girlca said, the metal zippers are probably a redesign after all the plastic zippers fell apart. You should be safe with the newer model. I felt the same about the Samsonite name, I've had other Samsonite luggage for years and figured a cat carrier made by them must be good. I was very surprised when I had two of them fall apart in a very short period of time.

I'm real happy with the Sherpa - I got the super-deluxe Rolls Royce model with wheels. With Mishi being as heavy as he is, I NEEDED something with wheels. I won't say he loves it, but I sure do!

NoahsMommy
07-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Great carrier! :)

I think that since I've stated keeping some of the cat carriers in the den, opened, its been much easier to get the cats in them for a vet trip.

Sirrahsim
07-25-2004, 07:35 PM
Ahhhh Boomer looks so sweet in his litte carrier:) I think he has started to look at it as his security blanket! My hubby scared him last night (unintentionally) and Boomer went running back to the computer room to jump into his carrier through the top:rolleyes: :D :D

kimlovescats
07-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Sweet Boomer .... I hope you enjoy your new "bed"!!!;)