PDA

View Full Version : A Positive Thread =) (food lovers, look here!)

heinz57_79
07-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Ok, I've noticed there has been a lot of negativity going around lately. So, I've decided to start a thread about one of my favourite things.... FOOD! :) What I thought we could do is do a sort of recipe swap for things like cookies, cakes, etc. Personally, I'm always looking for new recipes to try! I can start off with a couple recipes, one for chocolate chip cookies (the crispy sort) and venetian fried creme (this stuff is AWESOME!).

Chocolate Chip Cookies:
1/2 C granulated sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1 C + 2 TBS all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
8 TBS (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 Lg. egg
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (I actually prefer to use bakers chocolate, shredded. Tastes better, and you don't have to worry about the wax in the chips which can actually alter the recipe)

Preheat to 375. Blend both sugars and butter til creamy. Add the egg, salt and vanilla, mix well. Stir in flour and baking soda til well blended. Add chips (or baker's chocolate).

Bake 8-10 mins. Like I said, these are crispier cookies. I can't stand chewy cookies, unless they're right out of the oven. ;) And these are just fantastic! Enjoy!

heinz57_79
07-23-2004, 08:13 PM
This is a recipe for an italian dessert. It's actually not all that sweet, and is totally addicting! :)

1 1/2 cups milk
4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, more for dredging
1/2 lemon, zested
1/2 cup bread crumbs
Powdered sugar, for garnish

Using a little olive oil, lightly and evenly grease a small baking sheet or a large piece of waxed paper lying flat on a work surface. Keep the greased surface nearby while you work at the stovetop.
In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the milk warm, but not bubbling.

In a second small saucepan over low heat, combine the egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, stir constantly until well combined, about 2 minutes. Add the flour, milk, and lemon zest and continue slowly stirring. Be sure to use the wooden spoon to clean the bottom of the pan with every few stirs to avoid letting any egg cook and congeal to the bottom of the pan. Turn the heat to a gentle medium and continue stirring slowly until the mixture thickens and forms a very dense homogenous pastry cream, about 5 minutes.

When the cream has thickened gently pour the cream onto the prepared work surface. Using a spatula, spread the cream so that it forms 1 layer 1-inch thick. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight until firm.

When the cream has cooled, use a sharp knife to cut the layer of cream into 2-inch shapes (circles or squares).

Fill a deep pot no more than halfway with extra-virgin olive oil. Heat oil over medium-high heat until it reaches a temperature of 350 degrees F. The oil should remain at or around this temperature throughout the cooking process.

While the oil is heating, place the some flour, the egg whites and the bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Carefully dredge the cream circles 1 by 1 through the flour, then the egg whites and then the bread crumbs. Working in batches of 6, fry the fritters until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon or spider to gently drop the fritters into the oil, being careful not to splatter. Using the same spoon or spider, remove the finished fritters to a serving plate. Repeat process until all the fried creme is cooked. Sprinkle (or cover as I like to do!) with powdered sugar and serve.

I hope everyone enjoys, and I hope I get a few new recipes to try out! :D

dukedogsmom
07-23-2004, 08:21 PM
You've got my favorite: chocolate chip cookies! And I've never heard of that other one. It sounds delicious. I'll have to get one of my spicy dishes to put in here. It calls for pork chops but you can use chicken, also. Just what we need, more calories :)

heinz57_79
07-23-2004, 09:01 PM
I've got some great Thai recipes and things like that too... Maybe I'll throw one of them on here. :) Spicey is good! The spicier the better. I wanna be sweating, nose running, tongue burning! LoL

MariaM
07-23-2004, 09:23 PM
These are for cream puffs :D

Cream Puffs

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose floud
4 eggs
Cream Puff filling, ice cream, or sweetened whippped cream
Chocolate Coating or Glaze, Hot Butterscotch Sause, or confectioners sugar

EARLY IN DAY:

Preheat over to 375 F. Grease lare cookie sheet. In medium sauscepan over high heat, heat 1 cup water, butter or margaine and salt until butter melts and mixture boils. Reduce heat to low; with wooden spoon, vigourously stir in flour until muxture forms ball and leaves sides of pan; remove from heat.

Beat eggs into mixture until thoroughly blended. Drop batter on cookie sheet in 8 large mounds, 3 inches apart, swirling top of each. Bake 50 minutes or until golden; cut slit in side of each puff; bake 10 minutes longer. Place puffs on wire rack to cool.

TO SERVE:

Slice off top of each puff; fill as suggested abovel replace topsl top with coating, confectioners sugar or sauce. Makes 8 serviings.

MariaM
07-23-2004, 09:23 PM
And can't forget the filling!

Cream-Puff Filling

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 drops yellow food color

EARLY IN DAY:

In meduim saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in milk. Cook over meduim heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. In small bowl, with fork, beat eggs slightly; beat small amount of hot muixture into eggs; slowly pour egg mixture into milk mixture, stirring rapidly to prevent lumping. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened (do not boil) Stir in vanilla and food color. Refrigerate until cold. Makes enough to fill 8 cream puffs.

sirrahved
07-23-2004, 09:34 PM
I made this super-duper yummy cake when I had friends over:

EASY TIRAMISU CAKE

CAKE:

vegetable oil spray for misting the pan
1 package (18.25 oz) plain white cake mix
1 1/3 cups water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (such as canola, corn , etc..)
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

SYRUP:

3/4 cup hot water
2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup kahlua or other coffee flavored liquer

TOPPING:

2 cups lowfat or nonfat vanilla yogurt
1 pkg (16 oz) cream cheese, at room temp
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly mist a 13x9" baking pan with vegetable oil spray & set the pan aside.

2. Place the cake mix, water, oil, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to med and beat 2 minutes more. The batter should look thick and well blended. Pour the batter into the prepare pan, smoothing about with the rubber spatula. Place pan in oven.

3. Bake the cake until it is golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 32 to 35 minutes. Remove the pan from oven and place in on a wire rack to cool.

4. Meanwhile prepare the syrup. Place the hot water, coffee powder and sugar in a small bowl and stir to combine until the coffee and sugar dissolve. Stir in the coffee liquer. Poke holes in the cake with a chopstick or straw and spoon the syrup over the cake so that the syrup can seep down into the holes. Set the cake aside.

5. Prepare the topping. Place the yogurt, cream cheese and conf. sugar in a large mixing bowl and blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1-2 minutes. The mixture should look well combined and thick. Spread the topping over the syrup-soaked cake, using the rubber spatula to spread the topping out to the edges of the cake. No more than an hour before serving, sift the cocoa powder over the topping so that it covers the top of the cake . Slice the cake into squares and serve.

*Store this cake, covered in aluminum foil, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

teenster3
07-23-2004, 09:47 PM
WOW...people still bake & cook?!!!:p
I can't share any recipes because I can't cook or bake worth a hoowee! So, feel free to keep posting recipes here or pm me with any.....I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!:) heehee Honestly, everything my husband and I make is either frozen or throw in the microwave. He's actually better at cooking than I am especially on the grill.
Oh, I have a "tip" on grilling potatoes......you can use the "new" RELEASE Reynold's Wrap foil....it works great, nothing sticks anymore!!!!:D

Uabassoon
07-23-2004, 09:50 PM
JC when are you going to make me some Venetian Fried Creme?

BitsyNaceyDog
07-23-2004, 10:19 PM
A recipe thread, what a great idea. I'm too tired to type one now, but I will later. I love to cook, but I'm not very good (just ask Justin).:rolleyes: Tomorrow I'll post a recipe for spinach turkey rolls. It's one of Justin's favorites.

heinz57_79
07-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
JC when are you going to make me some Venetian Fried Creme?

Laura, I'll make you fried creme when I come over to teach your gf how to make chicken strips. hehehe

heinz57_79
07-25-2004, 12:46 PM
bump :)

Randi
07-25-2004, 01:10 PM
Uhhmm!! A cookie/cake thread. :) That Italian one sounds yummy. Have you tried making it with a real stick of Vanilla?

We had a recipe thread going last year - or the year before. :confused:

Here's the link to it.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=16188&highlight=recipe+thread

Since it's very long, I think it would be a good idea to split the recipees up in Starters, Soups, Main dishes, Bread, Desserts etc. It will be quicker for everyone to find the recipe they're after. :)

I'll start the soup thread now. ;)

RubyMutt
07-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by heinz57_79
I've got some great Thai recipes and things like that too... Maybe I'll throw one of them on here. :)

Oh please do! Thai is my absolute favorite type of food and I'd love to try some new dishes :D

BitsyNaceyDog
07-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by KBlaix
A recipe thread, what a great idea. I'm too tired to type one now, but I will later. I love to cook, but I'm not very good (just ask Justin).:rolleyes: Tomorrow I'll post a recipe for spinach turkey rolls. It's one of Justin's favorites.

Spinach Turkey Rolls

meatless spaghetti sauce
2 eggs lightly beaten
1c bread crumbs
1/4c finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground mustard
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 c. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

combine 1/4 c. spaghetti sauce, eggs, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, basil, oregano, and mustard. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well.

On wax paper- pat turkey mixture into a 12 inch by 8 inch rectangle. Sprinkle with spinach and cheese. Roll up "jelly-roll style", starting with a short end and pealing wax paper as you go. Seal seam and ends. Place seam end down on a baking pan coated with non-stick cooking spray.

Bake uncovered at 350 for 45-60 minutes.
Heat remaining spaghetti sauce, serve over turkey.

Sirrahsim
07-25-2004, 09:21 PM
A friend of mine gave me this recipe after I tried a piece at her home and fell in love with it:) I'm not sure where she got it.

Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie
You will need:
1/2 of a 15oz package refrigerated pie crusts
1 (12 oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
1 (6oz) package semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1.5 cups cold milk
1 (5.1oz) package instant vanilla pudding (6 servings)
1/2 tsp rum extract (optional) [I don't add that, too strong]
2 medium bananas, sliced, divided
8 strawberries for decoration

Preheat oven to 425. Let pie crust stand at room temp for 15 minutes. Gently unfold onto lightly floured surface. Seal any cracks with a teensy tiny bit of water pressed directly on the crack. Roll out to an 11.5 inch circle. Pres into the bottom and up the sides of a deep dish pit pan, finishing the edges however you prefer them to look. Prick all over with a fork to prevent bubbles. Back 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.

Place1.5 cups whipped topping along with morsels in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high, uncovered, 30-45 seconds. Stir until smooth. Reserve 2 tbsp in a plastic bag for decorating, set aside. Spread remaining mix over borttom of pit crust. Place crust in freezer while preparing pudding.

Mix milk, pudding mix, and rum extract. Whisk 1 minutes of until it begins to thicken. Fold in 1.5 cups whipped topping.

Slice 1.5 bananas, arrange slices over chocolate in crust. Gently spread pudding over bananas. Refigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Decorate using sliced strawberries, left over banana, and chocolate.

carole
07-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Can someone please post a pumpkin Pie recipe, I did ask before in my thread but no-one offered one boo hoo.!!!thanks.

Miss Meow
07-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by carole
Can someone please post a pumpkin Pie recipe, I did ask before in my thread but no-one offered one boo hoo.!!!thanks.

Carole, I'm sorry I didn't see your thread. Here's Wolflady's recipe from the first recipe thread :)

Here is the recipe for Pumpkin Pie:

one 10-inch pie shell, unbaked
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 plus cups pumpkin, cooked
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 to 2 teaspoons ground ginger (some like more, some like less...I usually use 2tsp)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I use 1/2)
1/4 teaspoon cloves (optional)
1/4 teaspoon allspice (optional)
2 ounces dark molasses (optional)
1 cup milk, scaled
1 small can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
3 eggs, beaten

Brush the pie shell with melted butter then refrigerate.

Cook the pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, spices, and molasses in a saucepan over moderate heat until thick, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the two kinds of milk and the eggs, and cook over low heat for another 5 minutes. Pour into a pie shell, and bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F, and then at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.

----

PS bring on those Thai recipes!

carole
07-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Thanks heaps Miss Meow!!!!:)

Uabassoon
07-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Here ya go Carole.

1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup evaporated milk, undiluted
9-inch pie crust, unbaked

In mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and flour. Add eggs; mix well. Add evaporated milk, mix well. Pour pumpkin pie mixture into a 9-inch pastry lined pie pan. Preheat oven to 425°. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake pumpkin pie for about 35 minutes longer, until pumpkin pie is set.

This is the recipe I use. But instead of all those spices I use something called Pumpkin Pie spice and use 2 teaspoons of it, but I have a feeling you might not be able to find it.

Uabassoon
07-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Wolflady's recipe seems much better and fancier than mine. Maybe I'll try that this comming Thanksgiving.

carole
07-26-2004, 04:09 PM
THANKS for the recipes.:)

Petluvr013
07-29-2004, 11:24 PM
OMG!!! This is one of the ABSOULUTE BEST CAKES EVER!!! Even if you don't like Honey Buns, you will love it, its so adictive and good...mmmm...mmmmmm...(i'm gonna have 2 make some after this cause just talkin about it makes me crave it, lol)

OMG!!! I can't find the dang recipie!!! AHHHHHHHH!!! I'll post once I find it:eek: :( :mad: :eek: :( :mad: