PDA

View Full Version : How to make a perfect resume?

teenster3
07-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Ok,
I'm looking at this job in the paper & I really want it! Problem: I'm not too happy to admit this but, I've had a lot of jobs in the past.....I mean a lot, some I don't even remember! I started working at 17 & am now going on 29. One of the main reasons I've had so many jobs is; I'm not sure what the heck I want to do with my whole life! I don't know if that's sad or what at my age! I really want this job though it sounds so interesting: Gift Shop Display Manager. The main responsibility would be to maintain displays in different shops. I have almost 8 years of retail experience. So, my question is....How do I come up with the perfect resume......that will blow other's out of the water??? It's a VERY competitive world out there right now, so I need the perfect resume!
Thanks,
Tina

almamee
07-23-2004, 06:36 PM
if you really want it then get the job

AmberLee
07-24-2004, 03:25 AM
:o I'm not too good at this, but when I was facing a layoff ~20 months back Edwina's Secretary (Sara) really helped me modernize my resume... I've heard she's traveling soon, so she might not see this thread. Perhaps you can PM her?

Good luck!

binka_nugget
07-24-2004, 05:30 AM
Google it. Whenever I update my resume or go in for an interview, I research as much as I can on google. I found a lot of help there. Also, it wouldn't hurt to look into the company more so you can add more to your resume that might be related.

My CAPP (career and personal planning) teacher helped us with resumes and portfolios last year. She said to use lots of italics, underlines and bold. Also, play around with fonts and font sizes. It can make a plain resume look more interesting. Play around with the position of things as well.

Regarding the actual content, proof read, proof read, proof read! Make sure everything you put there promotes yourself and doesn't allow them to question your skills. It also helps to ask friends to read it over and see if they can catch anything. I usually have 2 or 3 friends read it over as if they were an employer.

Good luck with the job!

Lillycat
07-24-2004, 05:35 AM
all the ideas offered are great.......use them all and you should do fine!!!

teenster3
07-26-2004, 12:32 AM
Thank you to those who replied!
I did look up google for my cover letter but, Catnapper (Kim) really saved the day for me!!!!!:)
Thank You....I hope I get an interview!

catnapper
07-26-2004, 06:31 AM
Good Luck! I hope you get an interview too!

We'll keep our paws and fingers crossed! :)