PDA

View Full Version : So what's your dog like at the vets?

Christiansmommy
07-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Layed back, jumpy, scared, loud ;)

I thought it might be interesting to see how our dogs act at the vets...since we just got back from taking Dale.

He is a barker...when we enter, he feels the need to make his presence known. Whether it be painted murals on the wall of other animals, or a real one, Dale feels the need to bark. Normally, he acts pretty submissive to the vet, but today, barked at him quite a bit before letting the vet feel comfortable enough to approach him. His hair sticks on end, and he barks...Dale would never viscously (sp?) bite someone, but i guess he feels the need to protect Rob, Christian and myself...he is like this when meeting strangers, and then warms up to you...he can be a little intimidating , if you dont know him...but will warm up to anyone, after he gets to know you. He is just too big for his own good, lol.

Anyway, he lets the vet poke and prod, and does well with it...anyway, just curious to know how your canines do at the vet?

Tonya
07-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Mine are all happy and playful. Rosco, my rb dog, on the other hand, he was terrified of the vets.

GoldenRetrLuver
07-23-2004, 03:37 PM
It's hard enough to get them through the door. They're convinced the vet is a HORRIBLE, bad place and they dread going. Once they get through the door, and I sit down, they take shelter under the seats, and hide inbetween my legs. :( It's really depressing to watch. Our vet is very nice, though. He loves both of them; they just don't love him back. :p

Toller 42
07-23-2004, 03:38 PM
My dogs are really calm, actually they get really excited to see the vet! 98% of all the animals that walk into the vet clinic are excited to see him! i have only seen 3 animals that didn't like it there, the vet (Dr.Torrance) is really nice and you can tell he really loves the animals, he cares about them. My dog broke a bone in her knee, I don't remember what it's called but anyway he checked her and put a tensor bandage on it and he said that's all he could do for her because of where the break was, then he sent us home. Later that night he called our house just to see how she was doing!

bckrazy
07-23-2004, 03:40 PM
:D Gonzo loves his vet! she always gives him lots of liver cookies. He does freak out if we leave him in the room with vets or techs, he'll sit there and cry very loudly so the whole office can hear him.. until we come back in. He's such a baby.

K9soul
07-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Once in the examining room and the vet comes in to look him over, Tommy slumps down to the floor like a wet rag and you can't get him to stand up for anything :o.

Tasha will stand and let him examine her but she has the look of someone facing their doom and no way to fight it. Last time we went my vet was out of town and a substitute vet gave them their shots. I was so nervous that Tasha might snarl or suddenly snap but she just stood there with her stricken face staring blankly ahead. :(

Coming into the office itself, Tommy is majorly reluctant and takes coaxing, Tasha comes right in. She doesn't lose her composure until the time comes to be handled by strangers.

Kfamr
07-23-2004, 04:35 PM
Simba is fine in the wiating room, it's when we get into the actual room that he gets scared. He backs into the corner underneath my chair. Kiara was the same. She 'screamed' bloody murder when the vet assitant went for her.

Nala, she's completely fine and all around happy to be around any kind of people. :p

cali
07-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Happy barks and lunges at other dogs, I have to hold her by the collar around the cornor of the waiting room, she all my dogs like our vet, she is the only one in the clinic with her own special office downstairs, she lets them wander around her large office while she talks to us, then she slowly lowers down to the floor to greet them. some of the dogs like her some dont like being there period. Happy climbs over my shoulder lol the rest I really dont remeber how they react, they dont go to the vet very often, I just rember happy clawing her wasy over my shoulder, and having to hold her around the cornor lol misty was last there when she was 16 weeks for her parvo vax, Blair when he was 16 weeks for his parvo vax, happy was last there just about 3 years ago. perky 3 years ago I think, ya, year 2001. Ripley 2 years ago.. I am pretty sure thats it lol assuming I am remembering these dates correctly :p

aly
07-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Reece saunters in like he owns the place, sniffs the dogs and cats in the waiting room, tries to get behind the desk to say hi to all the people, and acts like the cute little attention seeker he is. In the room while we're waiting, he just sleeps in my lap or on the floor, completely comfortable. He does get nervous when he's on the table, but he doesn't show it in any other way than hanging his head and moaning. It is SO cute and funny. He thinks moaning will earn him enough sympathy so that he won't have to have a thermometer where the sun don't shine! Once he's off the table and back on the floor, he's back to his laid-back, happy go lucky self. He's a great dog in any situation.

Lolly gets really nervous as soon as we walk in the door. She pants a lot and walks really fast. She won't look anyone directly in the eye. Our vet has a big U shaped front desk. We come in the door at one side, and Lolly knows the exit is on the other side, so she runs in and tries to run around the U to get to the exit door - hehe! She gets really nervous when the vet is examining her, but she's a good girl and lets them do what they need to do. Once the exam is over, she is SO ready to get outta there!

dukedogsmom
07-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Duke shakes all over and stays near me. There's not a muscle that's not quivering. Poor thing.

Pam
07-23-2004, 04:48 PM
Well, even though you know Bella and Ripley quite well :) I don't think you have ever gone with us to the vets. Bella is quite the wiggle worm in the waiting room. She does sort of a whine at the other dogs, wanting to go play with them, and if she happens to be wearing her Halti she spends some time sprawling on the floor trying to get it off. I guess she is embarrassed to be seen with it on in front of the other dogs. :o When she is being examined her tail goes down and she is very submissive.

Ripley is pretty much the same in the exam room as in the waiting room. He likes to be on my lap and when he is on the exam table keeps looking at me as if to say "please Mom take me off here and let me get back in your lap. " :rolleyes:

ParNone
07-23-2004, 04:51 PM
I don't think there's a dog alive that could be any happier to be at the vets then Murph. He gets excited as soon as I ask him if he wants to go the vets. While there his tail wags a mile a minute and he never stops bouncing around. No barking though, he's very quiet. He's also well behaved about letting them do anything to him.

Oz is happy, happy as long as we're in the waiting room, but as soon as we get in the exam room, he gets scared. He doesn't whine or bark and he'll let the vet do whatever needs to be done. So it's not a huge issue. He just spends the whole time trying to get behind me or if I'm sitting, he drapes himself across my lap. Wish he'd enjoy it more, but I can understand why he doesn't.

Gully, so far, seems happy to be there. He does seem to want to bark though. Not a scared or protective bark. It's more a "Pay attention to me... Don't y'all want to play with me" bark. I work with him each time on being quiet, so that's improved. He's good about letting the vet do anything to him, except his mouth. He doesn't bite or get aggressive about it, but he will not keep his muzzle still, when the vet tries to look in his mouth. I've been working with him on that, so hopefully he'll be better tomorrow, when we go for his puppy checkup.

Par...

binka_nugget
07-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Kai is scared of everything :p. He'll hide under my chair while we're waiting. Once we're in the examining room, I place him on the table. He HATES it on there. He climbs all over me to try to get down. I usually just back away from the table so he has no choice but to stay though. Once the vet gets in, he gets even more scared but he doesn't move anymore. He just freezes and allows the vet to do whatever he needs to do. The last time we were there, he warmed up to him at the end when the vet talked to him in baby talk... he even gave him a kiss! :D

Kaedyn acts normal at our usual vets. The old one had a cat walking around the office. He HATES cats. He'd lunge and everything. At our new one, he's calm and obedient. He gets a bit shy when we go in the examining room but he co-operates.

Amber
07-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Kaitie is terribly at the vets! When the vet gives er a shot she will really scream. She makes it sounds like they are going to kill her. she just hates it. She pants, and gets very nervous. and sheds like crazy.

Elvis is just a perfect angel. Nothing bothers him.

almamee
07-23-2004, 05:28 PM
mine's nice and happy muneca loves poeple

jenfer
07-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Gigi used to be all happy going to the vet. But not any more. I think she has been to the vet too many times within the past 3 weeks or so. Whenever we are going out now, she seems hesistate...probably she is not sure WHERE we are going. She is fine in the waiting room, she wants to say hi to other dogs and when she is in the room she gets nervous. But usually she just sit on my lap and be a good. When it's time to actually have the examination. She wants to stand as far away from the vet as possible. But she still let the vet do whatever she need to do, but she will give me those eyes say "mom, pls take me away from this evil place!". Since we have been so many times, the vet usually baby talk to Gigi a bit first, or hold her a little bit. My poor baby.

Cincy'sMom
07-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Sadie loves the vet...can't wait to get in, see everyone, see the vet, give everyone kisses.

Cincy used to like the vet, btu the more she goes, the less she likes it. She is good in the waiting room, but would rahter not go back to the exam room. She is very calm and patient, she just would rather be somewhere else.

Spot hatest he vet. He shakes in the waiting room and climb around the exam room. He can not wait to leave.

They are all very good about letting the vet handle them, give them shots, etc. And they all enjoy the treat at the end:)

RobiLee
07-23-2004, 09:50 PM
Katie is very calm and extremely laid back. Tori is the complete opposite. Very vocal and whiney and we have to hang on to her.

Robin :)

teenster3
07-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Waffles (Eskimo) is so yappy.....even doc rolls his eyes. Wicket (Lhasa) he's a good boy when Waffles isn't around....she gets him all worked up. Wicket is more on the aggressive side though....so he gets ornery at times!:eek:

dappledoxie
07-23-2004, 10:31 PM
Claire is fine, she is great in her little cage there when I've had to take her to work with me. lol No whinning or nothin... She lets the Dr. do things and takes it great.

Rebel will freeze, at times he worries me, like he might just make a sudden move you know, but he never does. He is just very very still, lol, and very worried looking.

Niki is wild, going all over the place, so happy!

I have lots of stories on dogs and how they like the vet.... lol (Course I work at a vet clinic so I see alot of stuff. :( )

KYS
07-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Sheba shakes terribly in the waiting room.
When we are the private room and the vet comes in,
she is so sweet.
She is very quiet and such a good girl when
she gets examined.

Rocky is terribly.
He wimpers and if he see's another dog, he
growls and gets very upset.
He also does not trust our vet.
Last year, I started putting a muzzle on him to be on the safe side in the waiting room when he is around other dogs.

tikeyas_mom
07-24-2004, 01:33 AM
Tikeya always gets soooo afraid. She wont just "walk" into the vets like normal. She can smell the dealth. I always have to carry her into the vets office. And when I finally do get her in there, it is almost near to impossible to weigh her, she is so scared. I have to weigh my self, then weigh my self while holding her, just to see how much she weighs.. lol
It is sad really. :( She has always hated the vets, with a passion. When she was a pup she would pee everywhere and sit in it. It was so sad, I felt so badly for her... My poor baby. But what can I say, I hate the hospital too.

pitc9
07-24-2004, 07:53 AM
Both are okay walking into the lobby, sitting in the waiting room can be a pain. Buddy will jump up on the bench and sit right next to me, and Sierra tries to hide under my legs. Sierra will howl if we've been waiting a long time :o and Buddy only barks at dogs that bark first. (but then doesn't stop!!)

catnapper
07-24-2004, 10:12 AM
Nicki's a royal pain in the you-know-where! I think its because she's so terrified of the car that when she gets out, she's spastic. We once walked to the vets, but the road had no sidewalks in certain areas and the road was a busy narrow street... I should have known that BEFORE we were halfway there! :D

Anyway, she dances, whines, pants, jumps up, you name it - she's BAD! Inside the little veiwing room, she's a doll... unless the vet-tech wants to rim her nails, then Cujo comes to visit. And she HATES that table that moves up like an elevator. She jumps off the moment it starts moving, so they weigh her on it and then do the exam on the floor.