PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had a distastrous holiday...

carole
07-22-2004, 11:57 PM
I was thinking about this today,not sure if there has been a thread before on it, but just wondered how many of you have had a holiday ruined, or not go quite according to plan.

I can only share about our first three short breaks away, the first one was when we went for an overnight stay, to a small seaside town about 40 mins from here, we stopped half-way and had a great time at the hot pools and hydrosliding all day, well my son and hubby were, I was pregnant with my daughter.

We got to our holiday park unit, got some fish n chips for dinner, and suddenly right afterwards my husband became violently ill, I had to run in the dark to the holiday park reception to ring a Doctor, the local doctor is not the nicest guy in the world, I explained I could not drive, his response well I am not a bloody taxi service, hmm nice, and me worried sick, luckily two lovely ladies offered to take him, it was a long windy road, and hubby was in extreme pain, when we got there the Doctor was having a family party, but he was very good.

An ambulance was called and hubby went off to hospital with suspected renal colic, a kidney stone was likely, that it had moved, one he never knew he even had, and the hydrosliding was indeed probably the reason it moved. I had to ring my parents to pick my son and I up.

The second one was , when hubby had work to do at his aunts ski chalet, he had to remove a large ramp,off the chalet, he decided best to do it at the start of the holiday and then enjoy the rest of the time off, bad mistake, silly me here forgot he had removed the ramp and went off the edge into mid-air, it was quite a drop and I badly sprained my ankle, the pain was so bad, we opted to pack up and leave, and I was really glad I did, this poor ankle was on its fourth sprain and it was not liking it, I spent the next week in severe pain and not being able to do much, so much for the fun holiday.

The third one was not so bad, I had just chosen very bad accomodation, it looked good in my holiday park book, but when we got there it was awful ,stank, so mouldy, furniture ripped, it did spoil it some, as part of being away is staying somewhere nice to me.

Anyhow have had a few good breaks away since, but for a while we thought we were jinxed and were scared to leave home, how about you, tell me all about yours ? thanks.:)

almamee
07-22-2004, 11:58 PM
nope I didn't have a distatrious holiday that's a good thing though

Tonya
07-23-2004, 12:03 AM
I copy and pasted this from an old post in Feb...It wasn't exactly a holiday, but a trip that went to hell to say the least!

You will not believe my adventurous weekend. It was insane. I cannot believe how insane 2004 is starting off for me.

I'll start by saying that Mike's grandma is doing great. They took her off of life support and she's breathing on her own. She's on oxygen and weak, but she is eating and doing pretty darn good. I am sure that she'll pull through. And Mike's grandpa doesn't have phunomnia (sp?!) after all, he has bronchitis which he'll get over.

And now I have to say the city of Redding sucks a$$. I will never ever ever again set foot in Redding and/or a Motel 6. I was really tired, so I pulled off in Redding and got a hotel. Jaden said "Mommy, this hotel is ghetto...." I said "Oh, honey, all we are doing is sleeping here, we aren't spending any time here." How bad could it be?

It's a long story. But to sum it up the best I can, I was between five other rooms full of thugs. They were partying all night and loud. I have a really nice custom truck. They were sitting in the back of my truck drinking. Talking about how they couldn't believe my rims didn't have locks and all trying to guess how much money my truck was worth. I kept calling the front desk and they wouldn't answer. I would have done more, but I had my son with me, so I didn't want to stir up to much. Finally, a belligerent guy around 2am starts banging on my door saying "Hey, b!tch with the blings (referring to my rims), are you partying in there?! Let me in!" blah blah blah. So, I go to call the cops, but his friends grabbed him and brought him into the room, so I figured that was the end. But then, two of the guys get into a fight. I can hear it all because the walls are paper thin. So, I call 911. Then the front desk calls with an attitude and asks me why I called 911. We go in circles and he was being a jerk, so I hung up on him. So, then the front desk guy goes to their room and says "Hey, the girl in room 125 called the police on you." So the belligerent guy starts flipping out trying to get into my room to kick my arss. By then, I was packing my crap, just waiting for the police to come. Then, he starts slamming a trash can into my window trying to get in. Then the female with them starts trying to stop him, and he starts beating the crap out of her. The other guy was trying to get him off of her. So, I go to call 911 again. By then I was in a panic, so I accidentally dialed 0. The front desk guy answered and I go "Where in the #$^@ is the police?!" He says "Thanks to you, they just pulled into the parking lot." So, to make a long story short, there were 6 cops in my hotel room at 3:30 am. The cops helped me pack up my stuff and they (of course) arrested two of the guys and the girl. The rest of the friends were probably passed out in the other rooms during the peak of the drama. I was so mad that once I had my son in the truck out of ear shot, I went off on the manager and the girl. She was so drunk and telling me that I was lying and nothing had happened. She was probably normally a pretty girl, but she looked like she'd been to hell and back. I transferred to the executive rooms at the Holiday Inn. And never ever again will I penny pinch on a room.

Oh, and I got a ticket on the way home. And then I got to be the first one at an accident in the mountains in the pouring rain. The guys ran their Honda civic off of the road. Luckily, the trees caught their car. Otherwise, it would have been a heck of a drop. The car was totaled, but they were totally ok.

carole
07-23-2004, 12:07 AM
Oh Tonya I don't feel so bad now, that was some break away, poor you.

almamee
07-23-2004, 12:07 AM
same poor you

Tonya
07-23-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by carole
Oh Tonya I don't feel so bad now, that was some break away, poor you.

No, yours were pretty bad, so don't feel bad for me! I am greatful that no one got hurt on my trip.

almamee
07-23-2004, 12:14 AM
I feel bad for both of you I hope nothing worse will happen

Kfamr
07-23-2004, 12:31 AM
Just about every holiday that my aunt is here is ruined.

She's a crabby lady who does not like dogs. :rolleyes:

almamee
07-23-2004, 12:32 AM
who would not like dogs

Tonya
07-23-2004, 12:42 AM
Actually, come to think of it, last week's trip was rather disastrous.

I love my grandmother more then anything in the world. She's beautiful physically, spiritually, emotionally...She's never been angry or said a swear word in her life...She's just perfect.

She's going through alot of stress. My grandfather died in May, the IRS is trying to take her money, and her father is ill. So I said "Let's take a trip to Southern California. Just you, I, and Jaden...it'll be great."

Well, my mother wormed her way into the trip. My mom is an alcoholic, she's loud, obnoxious, and just flat out stupid.

First off, for 2 years, my husband and I have planned to name our first girl after my grandmother. We've talked so many times about how we'll keep it a big secret. And then, have my grandmother in the delivery room, and hand her the baby and say "This is Bonnie Jean." Tears will be shed, etc, etc... It was a very big deal to us and my pregnancy couldn't have been better timing. Well my mom goes "Oh, I want to tell her a secret." I said "No, mom!" It went back and forth and then my mom blurted out "They're naming the baby Bonnie Jean if it's a girl, I just had to tell you!....Sorry, Tonya." I was so pissed! But I had to try and stay all sweet for the sake of my grandmother.

It was thing after thing the whole trip. My mom and her mouth. She asked my grandmother in front of the whole family to set her up with a DEAR family friend because he's divorcing his wife of 30 years. How tacky could that be?

She got stupid drunk during two family dinners.

I put up with stupid stuff like this the whole trip. And then, I was driving in LA traffic and my mom just simply said "How do you know if you have to go North or South to get home?" And I blurted out "You f@#*ing think!" I felt so horrible. I've never cussed in front of my grandmother, and it just had to be the F bomb that came out.

almamee
07-23-2004, 12:44 AM
That is a bad time poor you

catnapper
07-23-2004, 07:36 AM
Fun thread! I have had several vacations that have been dampered by lousy choice of hotel... but what can ya do?

Poor Tonya, you have the worst luck with vacations!!!!

One year, my boss shared the company's good fortune and took us all on a cruise. We were soooo excited. Everyone spent a fortune on "cruise wear" We left Philadelphia while it was snowing and a few hours later, arrived in beuatiful Puerto Rico and boarded ship. It was the nightmare trip from heck. We were the only English speaking people on board - practically. Now we know how non-english speaking people feel. We couldn't speak to many people because they didn't understand us. The menu was geared to spansh tastes. Ugh. Somehow my boss's travel agent made an oopsie. Then the seas were rough the WHOLE time... over 8' swells every night. When you were up on deck, you could see the water splashing out of the pool as the ship swayed back and forth. We had our dinner table right over the engines, and the table vibrated the whole time. We decided after the first night to take room service because the boat's motion wasn't as bad if we didn't include the motor vibrations. My coworker, and temporary roomate, was so seasick that she had plans to get off the next island and fly home - until she found out how much that would have costs! :D Most people gain an average 7 or 8 pounds after a cruise... we all LOST a few pounds!

Also, everyone in my company who was married could bring their spouse at the company's expense, but since hubby and I were merely engaged they wouldn't let him come!!! How stinky is that?? So here I was, miserable and alone with a puking roomate, missing hubby sorely. But hey, at least I got to watch blockbuster movies in Spanish on the ship's cable tv in my room!

Tonya
07-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
Poor Tonya, you have the worst luck with vacations!!!!

Actually, not at all! That's just two out of many vacations. I can ramble on and on about some awesome perfect vacations! Like Cancun, Hawaii, Vegas, Vegas, Vegas.... :D Gosh, I looooove Vegas!

I have to run, but I was in a wedding in Hawaii last year that was pretty disasterous. I will tell that story when I get back.

Samantha Puppy
07-23-2004, 10:09 AM
The most disastrous holiday I've ever had was Christmas 1997. My grandmother died just after midnight on Christmas Day so we were all miserable.

Denyce
07-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Oh my gosh Catnapper!

That has got to be the cruise from....hades! *L* I have never wanted to go on a cruise...I don't like being somewhere that I am not the top of the food chain...:D

Denyce

Edwina's Secretary
07-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Does it count from my childhood? My family (mother, father, brother, and one sister) went to a dude ranch in Colorado. I was 10 or 11. I was expected to pack for myself. I forgot underwear. Had to wash the same pair every night. Had to go to Mass in a dotted swiss dress with no slip. My sister and I HATED the dude ranch. We were not into roughing it.

I am the youngest so I had to ride in the "way back" with the luggage. From Illinois to Colorado. On the way back down the mountain my brother said he felt sick. My mother gave him crackers. I said I felt sick. My mother said you just want crackers like your brother.

I shouted to stop the car. I stood outside the car....in front of a whole group of kids at a camp and puked.

So then I said, "NOW can I have crackers?" My mother (who denies this story every time I tell it :) ) said....you don't need crackers now!

The next year my sister and I were left at home.

Tonya
07-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Gosh, catnapper, that must have been horrible! That is what scares me about cruises...If it isn't any good, you are sooo trapped.

Edwina's Secretary, that bites! I hate getting carsick.

:(

Tonya
07-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Ok, last story...I even have pictures for this one. lol.

I have to give a little background first. I have a circle of friends, Jessica, Tina, and myself. We have been bestfriends since I moved to town in the 8th grade. There is a girl, Amanda, who was in their click since Kindergarten. Amanda hated me from the start. She was real serious, negative and motherly. I was to cheery, spontaneous, and positive for her. We didn't fight, but we didn't like eachother much. She moved away our freshman year, so we were never close.

March 2003, My best friend was going to be getting married in Oahu. At first I wasn't going to go because at the time, Jaden was having alot of issues. (They were saying that he was autistic and whatnot.) But, I decided to go and leave Jaden with my parents. (Mike was working alot of hours at the time.)

I found out Amanda was going. No one had seen Amanda in about 5-6 years. I remembered how we got didn't get along in the 8th grade...but hey, we were 24 years old now...I'm sure we'll get along just fine now.

So, we all met at the San Fransisco Airport. So, we all start off on our trip on a pretty good start. We ordered cocktails on the plane and were laughing and swapping stories.

Then, Amanda casually mentioned that she belongs to these clubs and she goes with her boyfriend. Because of the young ones at PT, I can't go into detail, but Amanda lives in San Fransisco, and they have some pretty gross, illegal, and immoral ummm clubs there. (No offense to those of you who belong to these groups :p ) And apparently, this stuff is no big deal to her. So, Jessica and I are kind of thinking "Whoa..." But, trying to be halfway polite. All I nicely said was "Wow, I couldn't bring myself to do such a thing." And she started screaming at me about how I am to close minded and this and that. So, I appologized and thought "Gosh, this chick is wierd." Then later on I find out that Amanda's boyfriend is 63 years old. She's 25, with a 63 year old boyfriend who *cough* likes to dress up like a woman and go to these *cough* clubs with her. Wow. So, okay, a little awkward of a start.

Then, Jessica announces that she only brought $50 to spend the whole week. I'd already paid for her flight, Tina (the bride) had paid for our stay, but still....we had five days there! And Jessica was the maid of honor, she can't be running around Hawaii without money. I didn't want her to be embarrassed so I gave her $300.

So, we get to Oahu and go to rent a car. I find out that I can't rent one because I was two weeks from my 25th birthday and you have to be 25. Amanda was already getting her own rental car, so I offered to pay for it if she'd give us a ride here and there. Not to inconvienient, we're staying in the same place and going to the same places. It was a bummer, but no big deal. At least to me...

So, we get into the car, Amanda is driving and we get a little lost. Who cares? Were in OAHU! I smile and go "Look, wild boars!" (There were some boars on the side of the road." She slammed on the breaks in the rain right on the freeway, pulled over and goes "Is everything in life a game to you, Tonya? We're f#@ing lost! And you're excited over some stupid pigs! You've got to be the stupidest person I have ever known." I replied, "OH, I am sorry, I'll try to be a little more upset."

Well, the whole trip was totally neurotic. Amanda had to take pills for every occasion. Apparently, she had all sorts of mental disorders. We were all sharing a room at the little bed and breakfast. She locked us out more then once because "we were up to late". She flipped out and started screaming at me because I used her shampoo. (Jessica had taken mine, and I didn't notice until I was already in the shower.) I can go on and on and on, but I'll just name the major things...

We were on our way back to the room from the beach. Amanda was driving and fully clothed, the rest of us only had swimsuits on. She angrily pulls into the Albertson's parking lot and says to me "Tonya, go get ice." Now, this is a grocery store in a residential area, I wasn't about to go walking in there in a bikini. I handed her money, and nicely asked her to go buy it since she was dressed. So, she gets out of the car, slams the door so hard we thought it was going to fall off the hinges. When she came back, she goes "Was that so f#$@ing difficult!?" and swung the ice bag like a baseball bat, hitting me in the face with it. My lip was bleeding, and I was livid. By then, after all she'd put me through, I was ready to fight. But, I (barely) got in the car and shut up because I didn't want to ruin Tina's wedding.

After Tina's wedding, at dinner, after a few drinks, Amanda announced to everyone "Tonya and I never were close friends. I never really liked her. To be honest, I still can't stand her." WTF am I supposed to say to that? Tina's whole family was there. The room totally got quiet...Boy was that an awkward silence.

Amanda wound up flipping out and leaving a day or two early. I was relieved to know after she left that everyone thought she was psycho and that she had no reason to be so hard on me. I was relieved because I was kind of wondering if she truly was such a freak, or was something wrong with me. I've always considered myself an easy going person, so it was hard for me to understand why she hated me so much.

On the last night, we went out....Jessica was out of money, so I told her I'd put everything on my card, she got drunk and bought drinks for the entire bar more then once. My tab was $360. We lost Jessica for hours, she'd wandered off and gotten lost with some guy.

Oh, and to top of all that stuff, a few hours before Tina's wedding, I am on the beach, and I get a phone call from my parents. The child protective services had taken my son from school that day. His school was evil, so I don't know what the story really is, but he had some bruises on his shins from dirtbike riding. Apparently, the teacher said that she asked him where they came from and he said "My mommy, she beats me all the time." So, of course, I was in hysterics. I was trying to find a flight home, but then my parents called back and said that everything was straightened out. They decided Jaden wasn't abused. But my phone continued to ring all week with family and friends telling me that Child Protective Services had interviewed them. I was so freaked out.

So, that was my trip. Two weeks later, Mike and I returned for my birthday...that second trip was wonderful. :D And now, pictures, so you can put faces with names...

This is the pic from Tina's bridal shower...From left to right, Jessica, Myself (don't laugh at how tall I am), Amanda the Freak, and Tina...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/pad938281f752cb9a774873825118e5a3/fa47208f.jpg

The wedding, I'm on the left side of the bride, Amanda is on the right. I am not as happy as I may look in this picture...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p13a6f129436f88bcb5ff62c9f0131981/fa472088.jpg

almamee
07-23-2004, 02:50 PM
great pictures though you are tall

heinz57_79
07-23-2004, 03:00 PM
I can usually make the best of anything. Find humour in a beach trip getting rained out, that sort of thing. But this really took the cake.

Back in February, I actually won an all expense paid trip to hawaii for the Pro Bowl!! 4 days FREE!!! In one of the nicest hotels, food and activities all taken care of. Snorkling, whale watching, luaus, it was awesome! I was so excited to be going back for a little while. I was excited to see all my old friends and get some awesome food! Well, I brought my ex (my then gf) with me. BIG mistake! I should have known better, considering who she was.

She B*tched about EVERYTHING! I saved my entire paycheck so we could get some souveniers and all, cuz everything else was being paid for, and yet somehow, we had no money. She didn't wanna do this, she didnt wanna do that, why do we have to go there? I'd rather skip it. Blah blah blah.

I coudln't have had a worse time in one of my favourite places. I didn't get to see my friends, and didn't get to do half of what I wanted. Definitely my worst vacation ever! Especially since I knew it was a once in a lifetime oppertunity. We broke up soon after we came back. :)

almamee
07-23-2004, 03:03 PM
That nust of been a horrible days poor you

Tonya
07-23-2004, 03:31 PM
Heinz, we should have sent your ex and Amanda together on the trip to Hawaii...Let them be miserable together. :D

DJFyrewolf36
07-23-2004, 04:03 PM
I agree with Tonya lol!

I haven't had too many trips from H**L but here is one that was really annoying

I was returning back home for a holiday from college. I live in Nevada, the college is in Virgina. Not a big deal to fly...

Wrongo

We were in Baltimore *me and my parents, they decided to come so they could fly with me*, on the plane ready to take off when they tell us they have to go back to the gate and kick us all off. Ooook. Then they tell us to get out of the terminal and go to the main area. ooook. Mind you they never told us what was going on. I'm dancing around with my headphones on waiting *hey why not make the best of it?* and then I notice a camera from CNN focused on me :o ! I was like "Umm can I help you?" and the camera guy just wanders off without telling me anything! Grrr. We still are clueless. It had been about three hours and we knew we were going to miss our connector flights *groan* and we were pretty tired having had to be at the first plane in Virgina at 3 am. It was now 5 pm. Finally they tell us that EVERYONE in about 1/3 of the airport had to have all thier luggage rechecked and had to go through the security checkpoints again. This takes about 2 hours. Then we FINALY get back on the plane and wait on the runway for an hour for other planes to go through. With no AC. :p.

We missed our connectors by miles so we had to bounce to about 5 cities in order to get a flight to Vegas. Then we had to sit in Vegas for about three hours. While in Vegas I see on CNN what exactly happened in Baltimore. Some moron called in a bomb threat and they shut about 1/3 of the airport down to check all the planes and all the luggage.

A flight from Virgina to Reno took about two days :rolleyes: At least they didn't play that CNN footage of me dancing around like an idiot! *so far as I know :D*

I swore that I'd never set foot on a plane again...and I haven't since then either!

AmberLee
07-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Oh my, that reminds me of the time we circled Seattle for hours due to weather and there was no food on the plane. For some reason the a/c wasn't working well either... I'd thought that part was miserable. They kept announcing they were going to backtrack to Portland and bus us up. At one point they landed in Portland but wouldn't let us out to get food or bring food on for us.

Later that same trip my brother took us into Canada. His car was in poor shape, very poor shape, and the Canandian guard was VERY dubious about letting us in. Apparently there was some gravel in the hubcaps and we did sound dire. I was embarrassed about some of his comments about crazy, dead-beat Americans and whether we could make back out again safely. (Apparently he was having an awful day, but still!) :o

The worst part was when we got home though. As we walked in the door, the phone was ringing. My grandmother had died while we were on the trip. It was a total shock. :(