PDA

View Full Version : Plutarch quote

AmberLee
01-09-2002, 11:19 AM
I really like this quote and hope you do, too.

"We ought not to treat living creatures like shoes or household belongings, which when worn with use we throw away."

-- Plutarch, biographer (c. 46-120)

Heather Wallace
01-09-2002, 03:35 PM
Amberlee I totally agree with 100%. I hate it when people get pets and either get fed up with them or can't handle them. People give up on animals so easily.

NoahsMommy
01-09-2002, 03:52 PM
I agree too!! Growing up, my mom did this and it would rip my heart out. I wont ever let her get another animal again....

I just hope that she learns through how we treat our babies what she did wrong.

tatsxxx11
01-09-2002, 03:53 PM
Too many "pet" guardians around having that attitude. :mad: Having an animal as a part of your family is a lifelong commitment. And JOY I might add!! Thanks for the quote!!

AmberLee
01-09-2002, 07:10 PM
It seems like it was more common an attitude a generation ago -- but maybe it's just my wild-eyed optomism (sp?) running amuk here. Hmm, especially since the quote is 2 millinium old? :o

It seems less common now than it did when I was a child. Let's hope?

Another take on this quote is in dealing with other human beings. It's something I need to become more tolerant or at least aware of. How well I treat my neighbors and coworkers. [Things have been major stressful at work and it's such a huge effort not to take it out on one another. Wish me luck I can keep it up.]

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: AmberLee ]

wayne0214
01-10-2002, 06:51 AM
Dittos, on the generational thing. Yes, our society has become more enlightened concerning household pets, their intelligence, abilities, and their needs. Remembering back in the late 50s' there was a saying going around (and I think it was even heard over the commerical radio): "be kind to dumb animals". This saying fairly well represented the attitudes and education of the general public 40+ years ago. Then, most cat owners had the pet for utilitarian purposes. I don't know of many who considered their cat as being part of the family. The way they are treated will determine their acceptability, both from the person and the cat. None of my family (except my dad) liked pets, especially my mother. She had no business around a pet of any type. Of course now, anyone who thinks most household pets are "dumb" (meaning "ignorant", and unable to care for themselves -not an inability to communicate verbally) especially cats, in my opinion, shows less human intelligence than their pet's animal intelligence!

...............wayne

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: wayne0214 ]

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: wayne0214 ]