PDA

View Full Version : I'll be leaving in a little while to release my sparrow into the wild :)

luckies4me
07-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Well I think it's time she was set free. After I take a shower I will be taking my little Bird Bird up to Hendricks Park to be released. I've had her now for almost two months and now that she can fly well, eat and drink on her own and her hunting insticts are developed it's best for her to be on her way, *sigh*. :( I've grown so attached to her. I am her mommy. :( I know it's best for her to be free though, so that is what she will be. :) I can't wait to see her fly away into the trees. I am charging my camera batteries now so I can take some video of her release. If someone could please help me get it up I would appreciate it. I am also going to snap a few photos of her as well. :)

If you want to see her original thread you can go here:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=51614&highlight=Sparrow

I'll update once I am home. Good luck in the great wide open Bird Bird. I wish you well!!!! I love you soooo much! Please take care of your little birdy self. I hope you like being free. :( :)

AbbyMom
07-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Good luck little birdie. We hope you meet a sweetheart out there to replace your mommie! Like all living creatures, you must strike out on your own now.

I remember reading your original thread and being impressed with your dedication for feeding the little orphan. I'm glad to read she's made it and will be off on her own.

Good work! I'm looking forward to the pictures.

luckies4me
07-23-2004, 01:38 AM
My first video!!! Sorry about the quality, but when I lower the bites it makes it blurrier. It looks REALLY good on my computer if I don't edit it though. But this will have to do. This is Bird Bird today a little while before I set her free. God I miss her so much. I wanted to cry so bad but I couldn't because I didn't want Dan to think I was a wuss. My eyes were watery the whole way home. :( She flew away, and then I found her a took a picture of her sitting in the tree. :) Please pray she is OK out there.

luckies4me
07-23-2004, 01:47 AM
OMG It worked LOL! :D :D :rolleyes: :p

Excuse the baby talk. :o

popcornbird
07-23-2004, 01:54 AM
OMG!!! What a cutie pie!!! He he! Looks like she got used to human contact. She seems so friendly.

I hope she'll do well in the wild, and make lots of new birdie friends out there. I'm sure she'll be praying for you because of all you've done for her. He he he........I talk to my birds like that all the time. :p

luckies4me
07-23-2004, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
OMG!!! What a cutie pie!!! He he! Looks like she got used to human contact. She seems so friendly.

I hope she'll do well in the wild, and make lots of new birdie friends out there. I'm sure she'll be praying for you because of all you've done for her. He he he........I talk to my birds like that all the time. :p

She is used to human contact, but not enough for it to be life threatening out in the wild. I fed her, so of course she knew my voice, smell etc. but when anyone else comes near she hisses and backs up and gets scared, exactly what she is supposed to do. I limited our contact to only feeding, watering and her "lessons" outside. When she was inside I kept her cage covered. The only time it was off is when I set the cage outside for her to enoy the other sparrows that came to visit. One sparrow, a male in particular was very fond of her. I wonder if they will meet out there? :D Maybe they will have their own little baby sparrows one day, hehe. :p I am so glad the video worked. I will have to post the photos and her release video tomorrow. Just the one video took ten minutes to upload and it is now 12:00 am here. I have to work tomorrow so it is time I hit the sack. I just hope she does OK out there. I was so sad to see her go, but I know it's for the best. :( I still get sad though. :o

MariaM
07-23-2004, 02:28 AM
Awww! What a cute video! I did not know the story of your sparrow! :)

luckies4me
07-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Glad you liked the video. :) I will get the pics and release video up shortly.

chrissycat21
07-23-2004, 11:26 AM
The video didn't work on my computer...I only heard you talking.

I hope your little sparrow does well in the wild, I'm sure she will!

-Chrissy

AbbyMom
07-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Oh, that was charming! I can't wait to see the new pix and video.

BEST OF LUCK LITTLE BIRDIE! Fly Free Live Free

rg_girlca
07-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Great job Cass and what a cute video of BirdBird.
That brings back memories of when my Mom mothered a baby sparrow that didn't even have it's feathers yet. It was a miracle that this little one even survived. She called him Chip and as he got older, he would sit on her shoulders as she fed him with a pair of tweezers. We were young at the time and would go out and collect an assortment of insects for him. When it came time to free him, my Mom went out in the backyard to set him free. He flew up into a tree across the way. Whenever she would go out in the morning to feed the birds, she would call. "Chip" and he would fly down on her shoulders to be fed. I'm sure the other birds were jealous of the special treatment he got. It was so cute. This went on for a few years and then one day he just stopped comming around. I guess it was his turn to go to RB.

The point of this story Cass, is that if you release BirdBird near your home and then call him, maybe you can have the same cute experience my Mom had.:D

luckies4me
07-23-2004, 03:14 PM
I've thought of going back to the park to call her. Geez I miss her so much already LOL. :o I am working on the videos and photos now. :)

luckies4me
07-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Here is a photo of her eating her last meal. It's the last time she'll get to eat her Eukanuba dog food. Now it's off to berries and bugs! :D You know, the good stuff. :p

http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/bird%20bird/lastmeal.jpg

Here's her release video. Notice how Dylan runs after her saying "plane!". LOL. If you look closely you can see her fly away into the bushes. :)

luckies4me
07-23-2004, 04:10 PM
Here's the pic of her on the tree she flew to. For some reason you can't see her tail though.. She was really happy. She immediately started singing and preening herself. :D

teenster3
07-23-2004, 11:23 PM
Oh, you're so kind to take care of that poor baby bird! I loved the video....sooo sweet! I hope she makes it out in the wild now!

luckies4me
07-24-2004, 12:53 AM
Thanks! :D