PDA

View Full Version : Dale is off to the vets, again, tomorrow...

Christiansmommy
07-22-2004, 04:22 PM
For those of you who read about Dale having a vomitting issue around a week and half to 2 weeks ago, that went away, thankfully, and he remained on an antibiotic...but now he seems to be having diarreah...so i am thinking, that the intestinal parasite that he had (giardia), or something that sounds like that....may not have completely gone away...anyway, he is acting normal, and is drinking/eating/urinating...but his poops are runny. So we will go see tomorrow what the vet has to say...i am thinking they will just put him back on the antibiotic, metronidazole (sp?)...and hopefully that will get things back to normal...poor doggy, he never had to see the vet back in New Jersey, for more than normal checkups, must be something about Maryland, lol...

I will update tomorrow...

Robyn

Toller 42
07-22-2004, 04:25 PM
I hope he's okay! Dale is such a nice dog.

tatsxxx11
07-22-2004, 05:12 PM
Oh Robyn! I was wondering if Christian has seen his
"vet" as frequently as poor Dale has lately;) Poor pup. Paws and fingers crossed that it's just a little relapse. Hugs to you Dale, you cutie:) Check back with us Robyn!

dappledoxie
07-22-2004, 05:41 PM
I hope everything goes well

captain
07-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Hugs to you and Dale.

To quote Shakespeare - "Out damn parasite" (spot!!) :D

KYS
07-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Will be waiting patiently for an update.
Sending good thoughts that Dale will be 100%
himself.

stacwase
07-22-2004, 06:40 PM
Sorry Dale got giardia! I can't remember how to spell that, either hehe!

I got my dogs vaccinated for that, because it's sooooo common where I live.

People get it all the time up here, too, especially little kids who go swimming a lot. Too bad there's not a vaccine for people!

anna_66
07-22-2004, 08:45 PM
Oh Dale...I hope that all goes well tomorrow at the vets for you. Please let us know how your big boy is doing asap. We sure do love himhttp://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/Smileys/love4.gif

GoldenRetrLuver
07-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Hugs to you and Dale.

We'll be waiting for an update! Sending good thoughts to you both. :)

sabies
07-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Feel better soon Dale!

K9soul
07-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with you and Dale, hope the news at the vet's office is good! Let us know.. And please give Dale extra hugs from us!

Kfamr
07-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Gud luck at da white coatz, Dale!! Get better soon sweetie.

{{hugs to you both}}

jenfer
07-23-2004, 01:11 AM
Get well soon, Dale.

shais_mom
07-23-2004, 05:59 AM
Goodluck sweet Dale! :(

sasvermont
07-23-2004, 06:14 AM
Dale, please do get better. Your Mom and friends are worried about you. Robyn, it does sound like Girardi - but then the vet would know better.

Keep us posted!

Logan
07-23-2004, 07:28 AM
Poor boy! :( Tell him that Lilly has a lot of sympathy for the symptoms he's having now. Thank goodness, hers is all better. She was treated for Whipworms and it worked! Who would have thought?

Good luck today! :)

Logan

dukedogsmom
07-23-2004, 07:31 AM
I hope he feels better really soon! Hope it's not something bad. Let us know what vet says.

Kona & Oreo's mom
07-23-2004, 09:24 AM
I hope Dale feels better soon!

Samantha Puppy
07-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Where in Maryland are you??

Christiansmommy
07-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
Where in Maryland are you??

Elkton

Christiansmommy
07-23-2004, 03:15 PM
We are back from the vets. So the deal is, the vet is thinking that it is prolly a relapse of Giardia, but is going to have a test done to make sure, and if the results come back tomorrow that it isnt giardia, then he will most likely be treated for whip worm...just like you mentioned, Logan. His stool had nothing of concern in it ( but sometimes parasites are hard to find in the early stages in stool)...so we will see what the Giardia test says.

He put him back on the metronidazole, and also Hills prescription diet w/d dry food...to mix 50/50 with his food, to help the stool to firm up quicker. I was thinking of taking him off of Chicken Soup, as i had mentioned a while ago, b/c his stools never seemed very firm to me, to begin with. Anyway, that is a different story.

The vet also mentioned something about a heart worm med that covers the chance of getting whip worm, where heartguard does not, and it is called interceptor. Ever heard of it? Or used it before?

Anyway, that is it for now, i will let you know what the test results come back as tomorrow...

thanks for all of the kind thoughts and posts :)

Robyn

Samantha Puppy
07-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Christiansmommy
Elkton Ah. That's still a little ways from me. I'm in Westminster.

Welcome to Maryland!

jazzcat
07-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Disney has taken Interceptor for years until this past couple of months. The only reason for the change is because the vet was out of it when I went in so they just gave me Heartguard instead.

She did fine on Interceptor too.

I hope Dale feels better soon.

Christiansmommy
07-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
Ah. That's still a little ways from me. I'm in Westminster.

Welcome to Maryland!

I have no idea where that is...i just know North East, Harve de Grace and Perryville, other than that...Maryland is so new to me...i didnt know you lived in Maryland :)

Logan
07-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Robyn, I came to Pet Talk tonight to specifically see about Dale. Isn't that strange the the Whipworm potential came up when I had just mentioned it this morning? I read on the Golden Retriever site about Interceptor being used because it is a good preventative. I'll have to ask Dr. Robinson next visit. We use Heartguard currently. Dr. Robinson started with a "hunch" that it might be Whipworms with Lilly before doing a lot of testing (she is known to eat cat poop from the flower beds and also dead things if she finds them......YUCK). He said that Whipworms are hard to detect with a fecal exam anyway, because they hide in the pockets of the intestines, so don't be surprised if they don't find anything. Lilly was treated with 3 doses of Panacure (sp?). It is a pasty, white medication that is administered orally through a syringe. We did it for 3 straight days. Within a week, she was back to normal. I'm glad I don't have to watch her poop anymore!! LOL!! :o

Maybe a diet change would be a good thing too for him. Each dog is different in the foods they tolerate. I came real close to switching to Chicken Soup Senior Food because it was less expensive and still good quality, but I decided not to mess with what is working and what they will eat! I'm still feeding Flint River Ranch Senior Plus, and I must say, it is nice to have it brought to the door once per month! With 4 dogs, we go through a lot of food, but not as much as we used to since everyone has been dieting (except Murphy). Poor UPS man! My cats are eating Chicken Soup food and doing great. I love buying 25 pound bags because it lasts a long, long time.

Keep us posted on Dale's progress. I'm going to be away most of Saturday and Sunday, but I'll be sure to try and check in. I hope he will be better soon.

Logan

RobiLee
07-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Sorry to hear about Dale. I hope all is well real soon. It sounds like your vet is covering all the bases.

Keep us posted.

Robin :)

Rachel
07-24-2004, 09:18 AM
The vet also mentioned something about a heart worm med that covers the chance of getting whip worm, where heartguard does not, and it is called interceptor. Ever heard of it? Or used it before?

My dogs are both on the Interceptor Flavor Tabs. We get their prescription filled through Dr. Foster's and Smith catalog because it is a bit less expensive than getting it from the vet.

The insert says the following: Interceptor Flavor Tabs will protect your dog from heartworm disease, control adult hookworms, and remove and control adult roundworms and whipworms only if administered on a monthly dosing schedule.

I do hope that your Vet will ascertain the cause of Dale's problem and get it under control soon.

anna_66
07-24-2004, 06:56 PM
I hope Dale will be back to his old self soon. Hugs for you big boy!

All of our dogs take Interecptor.

Christiansmommy
07-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Thank you so much for all of your concern. I really appreciate it :)

Today Dale had some normal poops (sorry for being so detailed :rolleyes: ), and some not so normal, but he has only taken 3 pills so far, out of 2 weeks worth...so the vet called, and the giardia test came back negative...so no giardia...so we are gonna see how he is by Monday, and if this meds are working, if not, then we may just treat him for the whip worm, since the symptoms are the same as what he is experiencing...

Poor Dale!! At least he FINALLY has a yard to run in. We lived with my in laws for 2 1/2 months, and he was mainly walked on a leash there, since only part of their property was fenced. And we have lived here in our new house in Maryland for just over 2 weeks now, and we just finished putting up our fence!!! Yeah, he has run of his very own yard again!! Yeah for me too, i dont have to walk him 10 million times a day now,even in the rain (with a 2 year old following me around (it is still unsafe around here, bull- dozers and big holes all over the place..new construction of houses)! I am so happy to have it!!! I will take pics tomorrow of Dale in all of his freedom, and me just sitting relaxing, :) instead of chasing my son around the yard, as i try to walk Dale to potty!!!

ANyway, thanks again, and i will update more as i know :)

Robyn

Rachel
07-25-2004, 10:14 AM

Yeah for me too, i dont have to walk him 10 million times a day now,even in the rain (with a 2 year old following me around (it is still unsafe around here, bull- dozers and big holes all over the place..new construction of houses)! I am so happy to have it!!! I will take pics tomorrow of Dale in all of his freedom, and me just sitting relaxing, :) instead of chasing my son around the yard, as i try to walk Dale to potty!!!

Robyn

How well I remember those days. It's a lot of work, even without a 2 year old in tow. One thing you can be thankful for and that was you didn't do it in the middle of winter. If anyone ever asks me what was the best money I ever spent, I'd have to say... (of course after our house)... our fence. Congratulations! Can't wait to see those pictures.

Dale, get better please, runny poopies are no fun, and not so easy to scoop up.

Christiansmommy
07-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
How well I remember those days. It's a lot of work, even without a 2 year old in tow. One thing you can be thankful for and that was you didn't do it in the middle of winter. If anyone ever asks me what was the best money I ever spent, I'd have to say... (of course after our house)... our fence. Congratulations! Can't wait to see those pictures.

Dale, get better please, runny poopies are no fun, and not so easy to scoop up.

I agree!!! I love fences :) We got quotes from 2 fence companies for a split rail to be put up (we live in a home owners association, so that is all that is allowed here)...and the one place quoted us $2600, and the other $2900, and that wasn't including the $350 survery too.

We ended up going to Home Depot and spending around $800 in the fence and $350 on the survery, so we saved a ton of money!! And it looks just as good as what a fence company would do, and we got 95% of it done in one day! I will post pics later, gonna go get a bite to eat now...

Christiansmommy
07-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Well, so far so good on these meds. Since we finally have a fence, i didnt have to go out and walk Dale this morning, but i just went and checked the spot where he seems to be going, and it looked like a "normal" poop...so that is good...not runny at all. I will go out with him after dinner to see what he does then ;) As long as this is working, we arent going to treat him for whip worm...the vet only said we would, if these meds. didnt seem to be doing the trick. I will continue to monitor him, and hope all continues to go smoothly. I want to let him out into more of the house, but unfortunatly, i am keeping him in the kitchen area, until i know for sure the big "D" has gone away...i can't risk him having an accident on the new carpet...oh well, soon enough, Dale...keep getting better :)

Robyn

sasvermont
07-26-2004, 02:19 PM
Such problems for the Dale doggie! I surely hope these pills do the trick. He will love having the run of the rest of the house! .... Hugs to Dale and the gang!

Sas

pitc9
07-26-2004, 02:20 PM
Glad to hear Dale is getting better!!!

ramanth
07-26-2004, 03:13 PM
Yay! Glad to hear Dale is feeling better!