PDA

View Full Version : Another reason I hate my dial-up connection

ChrisH
07-22-2004, 04:14 PM
Of course the main reason is because it is so slow (that's why I don't look at videos very often). The second one is that, because I only have one line, I can't take or make a telephone call. And that is a major pain on a day like today, when I was waiting on an important call and so couldn't go online ... especially since I didn't get the call after all! :mad:

Sorry, just had to have a moan, been one of those days ... I won't even get on to the subject of this years ant invasion! :(

Chris

captain
07-23-2004, 02:00 AM
Chris,

I am in the same boat as you ........ dial up ........... YUK!!!

I am trying to convince hubbie we NEED cable ....... Need, need, need ...........! :D

Logan
07-23-2004, 07:37 AM
There is something you can use to alert you to an incoming phone call, and then you can decide whether to take it or not, but I can't remember what it's called!!! I'll see if I can ask my friend, Karel, who has it and get back to you. I'm assuming it would be available worldwide, not just in the US.

I know that has to be frustrating. My daughter goes through it at her dad's house and she's only allowed on at 15 minute intervals as a result.

KYS
07-23-2004, 08:39 AM
I had dial-up for years, because of the price.
I had used the software called Callwave.
for about $3.95 a month.
(your telephone provider will charge you a small
fee also for call forwarding your calls to the callwave number)
(the Callwave is a software that keeps you from
missing your calls. It is a answering machine
on the PC. You still miss the call, but you
can hear the message, just like an answering machine.
If it is an important call, you can disconect your pc to call back the person.
It works rather well, and I never had a problem
with callwave.
Their are other softwares around besides
Callwave.
They have 2 price plans, I used the cheaper one.
www.callwave.com/landing/CORP_Main.asp

Randi
07-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Oh Chris I can relate. When we're visiting John's family in England, we hardly go online, as they have a dial-up connection too. Certain picture heavy threads are almost impossible to load.

I hope you get a better connection soon - or at least are able to take phonecalls! :)

Felicia's Mom
07-23-2004, 10:09 AM
I have a dial-up, and have a "switchboard" (that might be a brand name.") It is attached to both the telephone and the computer, and it allows phone calls to come through.

almamee
07-23-2004, 02:36 PM
yes that happened to me with dial-up now we have cable we had it for a while

ChrisH
07-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

I am still hoping to get a new computer and be able to change to broadband ... then I will not only be able to take and make calls but load pages & pictures faster, take and post movies, hear through speakers (mine are kerput) and, and ... :D

Chris

catnapper
07-24-2004, 02:04 PM
YUP!!! Me too!! Thats why we'll be getting DSL in the next month or so... I can't wait!

My coworker used my computer the other day... she has Cable. She was basically flipping out about how slow this thng was. And here I thought it wasn't THAT bad compared to my old computer! LOL

What I hate MOST anout dial up? Getting knocked off if someone's trying to call! UGH!