PDA

View Full Version : should I or shouldn't I - your valued advice..PLEASE!

aguu
07-22-2004, 09:36 AM
So I have been thinking about adopting a second kitty for a very long time.
I go back and forth. Here is my dilemma (I really need input form you guys);
Mishka is the apple of my eye – he is spoiled (Ilike spoiling him!) and extremely attached to me. He gets jealous even when my boyfriend hugs me!!! So I worry about traumatizing my baby with bringing another cat – especially a kitten!! I am afraid that my Mishka would never be the same...
Another problem I have is that I live in a rather small loft – its’ all open and I would not be able to separate them.
And lastly - Mishka seems to play a little rough with other cats - my moms cats are terrified of him.
So – what do you guys think?
Should forget about another cat?
I have been thinking about this little guy all night;
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v253/aguu14/parson.jpg

Edwina's Secretary
07-22-2004, 09:41 AM
I had the same concerns with Edwina. Then Eddie sort of "dropped in" our lives. She still says she hates him but seems to spend most of her time in the same room with him....

I make sure and give her extra attention.

catnapper
07-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Hmmm... from my experience with Allen and Pouncer....

Allen used to be a rough playing cat too. We were actually worried about that when we brought Pouncer home. We kept Pouncer in a rather sizable cage because we figured that was the safest thing for him. We slowly introduced the boys, and slowly increased visitation time. Wthin three weeks, Allen was grooming Pouncer and treating him like Pouncer was his kitten. But let me tell you that in the middle of those three weeks, Allen was a bit too hard on Pouncer. He would try to play, but tried to bite too hard or wrestle too strong. Eventually (and quickly) Allen figued it out and a softer side of him came out. Allen is a totally different cat today... but different in a good way. He's friendier to a wider range of people.

I would try to see if things would work out betwen the two.. that baby is too precious for words!

moosmom
07-22-2004, 09:49 AM
From my experience with bringing in a newcomer into the scene, kittens are FAR easier to introduce to older cats than an older cat, because older cats are far more set in their ways and territorial.

If the little one (he IS adorable!!!) gets in Mishka's face or bugs him, believe me, Mishka will let him know it.

I say go for it!!

catlover4ever
07-22-2004, 09:54 AM
I'll throw in my 2 cents worth too.

My Smokey used to be very, very aggressive (still has some outbursts) I mean to the point where the fur really flew. So I began working one on one with Smokey. I gave him a little extra attention alone, had alone playtime with him and would even just take him to a quiet place...just the two of us. Now Smokey is the most loving, non-aggressive cat I have seen. I really think it was the "kitten" in him and I think, knowin his background, that he really was just looking for attention.

Don't get me wrong...we still have some outbursts with the others but for the most part they all get along really well.

If it were me....I'd take him at least for a trial period. --- Meg

catcrazylady
07-22-2004, 09:55 AM
That precious baby has called to you since you saw it. I have a feeling destiny may be at work here.
I think sometimes the kitties will surprise you with the way they handle things. They never do what we expect them too!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif Maybe if you kept the little one in the bathroom for a few days so Mishka can get used to the idea. Give them short visits and see what happens. Very rarely are there two cats that can't live in the same household. They always work things out and usually end up being friends. This kitty is still a kitten and that is the best time to try this. I wouldn't try an older cat if Mishka is that jealous. Just make sure he gets lots of attention and share in the play time and I think he will surprise you. Mishka just might like having a brother/sister!

Tonya
07-22-2004, 09:58 AM
OMG! I soooooooo want you to get that kitten!

We got Raven first. She is very skittish and very spoiled. When we brought Ron home, she hid for a day or two. And then, she started doing the cutest thing. She'd lay on her back like she was relaxing and slowly inch towards Ron. Everytime we'd look at her, she'd stop moving. Finally, days later, when she got the nerve to get close enough, she slapped him. lmao.

They're decent enough friends now. In fact, Raven had a problem with not grooming herself...once we got Ron, she started looking clean. We thought Ron had taught her how to groom. But then, one day, we caught them in the act. Ron cleans her from head to toe. lol. I guess he didn't want to live with a dirty cat.

They get into tiffs here and there, but nothing to serious. And as far as your living space goes, I don't think one or two cats really makes much of a difference. Soooo....GET THAT KITTY!

kuhio98
07-22-2004, 10:06 AM
Kuhio was an only child because we didn't know any better. By the time we realized she was lonely, she was so set in her ways that we thought it would be cruel to bring home another baby.

Halo and Cammie did not get along at first. Halo was in our house first. But Cammie was older and more of an alpha cat. They had a few spats but eventually agreed to ignore each other. Things really calmed down when my husband and I decided that since Cammie was the older one, to always acknowledge her first, feed her first, etc. Halo accepted this and there were no more fights. (They never really hurt each other. Just lots of hissing and spitting).

When we brought Pepper home a year later, Cammie went into her "alpha" routine and Pepper (being less than a year old and all of 5 pounds) basically laughed in her face and continued her kitten antics. Cammie still doesn't know what to think of that. But, Halo and Pepper have become very fast friends so their happy. Cammie's happy because they are leaving her alone.

I say go for it. Continue to treat Mishka as the alpha cat so that she's not always concerned about making sure everyone knows that she's in charge. I'd also introduce them slowly. Put your new baby in the bathroom with some food and a cat box. Mishka will start hanging around the door and they will get used to each other's smell.

I can't wait to hear what you name this adorable one. He looks like he's just full of spunk and attitude.

Equus217
07-22-2004, 10:17 AM
OK...I have to be honest with you here. My RB Lola was my only kitty for 2 years and was very much a quasi-human mommie's girl, when we took in a stray kitty. We had her for a total of 2 months, during which I hardly ever saw Lola, she stayed under the bed or in the closets. She also dropped 3 lbs. cause she didn't want to eat either, over all she just seemed depressed. We ended up finding a very loving home for the kitty (now named Allie) and Lola was back to her jubilant self within a couple days!

My mom had a siamese cat that was about six months old when she adopted a stray, they hated each other first and now you never ever see one without the other. They are absolutely inseperable.

I guess what I am trying to say is: you will never know unless you try! Give it a couple weeks and see if they don't get used to each other.

*crosses fingers* GET THE KITTY, GET THE KITTY!!:D

lizzielou742
07-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Before we got Sophie, I had a lot of the same concerns about my Tito you have about Mischka. We have a small apartment too, and the shelter I got Tito from warned me he was "not good with other cats," and I was SO worried about his personality changing with the addition of a new cat. Everything ended up working out better than I had hoped. Tito ended up being fine with Sophie, nothing more than play fighting (unless it's a dispute over who get to eat the cat grass!! :rolleyes: :D) and he's the same old sweetheart he always was. I think introducing a kitten to an older cat is easier than you'd think, like CCL and Catnapper have said. I say go for it. Mishka will probably be fine, he'll just require some extra lovins!! :D

By the way, my (now RB) cat's name growing up was Mushka!! Mishka is the only name I have ever heard even similar to Mushka. My dad named Mushka before I was born, so I have no clue what it means (I'll have to ask). I'll post a pic of him sometime...as soon as my boyfriend hooks up his scanner!! :rolleyes:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-22-2004, 10:42 AM
I agree with CCL that if you keep the kitten in the bathroom for at least the first couple days, things will probably go a little better. He is just so adorable that I really hope you at least give it a try. :)

Cataholic
07-22-2004, 11:07 AM
I had Tex for about 4 years before I adopted Georgia. I don't know if I would ever call Tex an 'aggressive' cat, but, he is an alpha, through and through. We are now 7 cats, and things have gone so smoothly (except with Monte, the 'kitten'. He is just sooooo bad!!! in a kitteny way). I think ALOT has to do with the way the introductions are handled. Slowly.

Good luck!!!

rg_girlca
07-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Oh I sooooooo agree with the others. How can you NOT get this precious baby and at least give it a try. You might be very surprised by the outcome.

I was also worried about my Katie girl when I brought Mooky into the house. But after a slow introduction, 1 week actually, I was surprised that Katie took to Mooky like he was her own.

I found, well with me anyways, that putting the new kitty in a cat carrier and then putting it in the middle of a room for the others to investigate worked well for me. The first day was for about 15 minutes, then the next was 1/2 an hour, then an hour and if all was fine, on the 4th to 5th day, then I left the carrier door open.

Good luck in whatever you decide.:D

kimlovescats
07-22-2004, 12:01 PM
That baby is PRECIOUS!!! Just follow all of the great advice here and things will be fine!;)

aguu
07-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks very much for your input everyone!!!
I think I’m gonna do it! I called the adoption place and I am going to go and look at this little guy this weekend!! She recommended another little guy to me so I will meet them both and see what happens!! I am so nervous!
This is Parson (again)
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v253/aguu14/parson.jpg

Parson is a charming, playful kitten who looks like he has some oriental in him with his long ears and slender face. He was rescued along with his siblings, Pearlina, Palmira and Prospera. Call now to meet this social guy! Preference will be given to adopters who are willing to take two or that already have a cat.

And this is the other kitten - Monte Carlo
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v253/aguu14/Monte.jpg
Monte Carlo was rescued from a trailer park. He is very friendly and is looking for someone to bond with after being abandoned. In fact, he was so happy when picked up that you could see his little toes kneading in the air. He loves to hang out with his brother, St.Tropez. Call today to meet Monte Carlo!

Lizzie Lou – Mishka means “little bear” in Polish and Mushka means “little fly”.
I call my Mishka, Mushka (ugh – tongue twister) all the time!!

lizzielou742
07-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Little fly - LOL! I had no clue that's what it meant. Thanks for telling me! We called him Mush sometimes...he was a great cat, though...lived til the ripe old cage of 19...*Sigh*

Anyway, keep us posted on what you decide to do! They are both so cute!!!:D

jazzcat
07-23-2004, 01:21 AM
OH MY GOSH, adopt them both. That way if the Mishka doesn't want to be bothered by a kitten they can keep each other company!!!!! If I'd had the sense to do that when we adopted Jazz I think things would have been better.

Just to give you my experience, I had Ripley as an only cat for 10 years before we adopted Jazz at 14 weeks old. He took it very hard and was miserable (and deathly sick because he caught her URI) for months. Once he healthy again he began to tolerate her and then I brought Scout home. That made Ripley and Jazz kind of bond in the sense that they were both ticked at me.

Anyway, none of my three are buddies. They don't cuddle, groom each other or sleep together and sometimes we have some harsh spats but some how it seems to work well enough that they seem happy most the time and I've got my wonderful babies (and sometimes brats).

jenluckenbach
07-23-2004, 04:56 AM
you will never know unless you try

Agreed! Go for it, I have heard of FAR more successes than failures when it comes to cats learning to live together.

catmandu
07-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Personally,I think that getting a Cat,preferably an Older Cat,about two,would give your Kitten,someone to play,with,and a calming influence!

Corinna
07-23-2004, 10:50 AM
I have just takeing in one of my grandkitties from my daughter . The 2 adults here already and the new additon all have very different personalities. Winky (the old guy 14 yrs) Knew him (moose the new addition) as a kitten and just looked at him and said Oh no your back. (another story all to geather) The 3 year old female Ebby is still slinking around and hissing. Moose of course thinks he owns the place (at 16 lbs he doses generally get his way. The others are about 5lbs. ) I figure this winter when every one has to be in the house is when we will have the problems.
Yes I let them outside , I have a fenced yard and a lot of sr apartments that do not allow pets (so some one always comes home smelling of tuna) I have even been calling the kids in at night and had one of the sr. ask if the cat could stay to visit longer . I had to put a sign up in their landury room with pics telling them the kids have to be home by 9pm for dinner and be in for the night.
I say get another kitty .