PDA

View Full Version : my new dog isn't eating

crazyfuryou
07-22-2004, 07:45 AM
I just adopted a great little dog from the shelter yesterday (my very first doggie!). She's been adjusting well but I noticed that she hasn't touched her food. I got her science diet small bites, which was recommended by the shelter. Is it common for dogs to initially ignore their food? She's been eating treats, and her medicine hidden in treats (for kennel cough).

aly
07-22-2004, 08:20 AM
CONGRATS on your new doggie and welcome to Pet Talk :D

It is actually very common for a newly adopted dog to not eat. The change of environment (even though its a good change) is stressful and it can take a few days before the dog settles in enough to start eating.

Try to make the transition as smooth as possible and I'm sure she'll be eating soon!

07-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Sometimes it's normal for a new found friend not to be very hungry for a few days. But if it continues seek your vets attenion after the second or third day of not eating. When ever I adopt
a new friend I usually make a vet appointment and have my new buddy get an exam to make sure he is feeling okay and there
are no hidden problems. Good luck with your new friend!
Also watch his stool for a few days to make sure it's okay!
and any other symptom that might seem odd, like drinking a lot
of water, not drinking any water, sneezing coughing. Just to
make sure he is not coming down with something else.

LorraineO
07-23-2004, 12:49 PM
I am of the same opinion as the previous 2.... give him a day or two to adjust,,, but if that doesnt work,,,, aff for a vets visit..