PDA

View Full Version : Daisy learned a new trick..

GoldenRetrLuver
07-21-2004, 11:03 PM
I absolutely just LOVE Clicker Training. I was training the dogs tonight, and taught Daisy "wave". She learned it in less than two minutes! It took me years [and no I'm not exaggerating] to teach her "shake", but with Clicker Training, she caught on in less than five minutes. It may not be as neat or fancy as some of the tricks dogs know here, but I'm really happy with how great of a training tool the clicker is turning out to be. :D I really recommend it.

Sorry for the rather pointless post. :o

MariaM
07-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Good job Daisy! There aren't any clickers available in my area, so I've just been doing it normally.

binka_nugget
07-21-2004, 11:15 PM
Yay Daisy! :D

I'm so mad.. I lost my favorite clicker. I'm stuck with an ugly green "gentle leader" brand clicker. Urgh.

Toller 42
07-21-2004, 11:15 PM
normal training worked good enough for Tango, I didn't need to use the clicker. She learns things soooo fast! I have never had a dog that learns as fast as her, she usually learns things in 2-6 minutes! she can't learn anything new for a while now because I've taught her everything I know, I have no new tricks to teach her. but it sounds like Daisy is a really smart dog aswell!

QueenChyna
07-21-2004, 11:21 PM
cool! there are no clicker training things in my area either, but my golden retriever Hanson is a really smart dog, he protects better than our llama Lewis! and he learns quite fast. he can just really high through a hoop! and Zoe learned how to dance in about a days work.

GoldenRetrLuver
07-22-2004, 01:57 AM
:D Thanks guys!

slleipnir
07-22-2004, 09:24 AM
What a smart girly, Daisy!

primabella
07-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Yay for Daisy! :D :D

I'm curious, for clicker training do you actually need to buy a clicker or can I use anything that makes that clicking noise? (like a pen or something) Stupid question? :p

micki76
07-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Good girl, Daisy! Isn't it great when they finally get something you've been trying to teach them? :)

I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to teach Millie to shake for about 2 weeks. LOL, at least she's a sweet dog. :p

K9soul
07-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by primabella
Yay for Daisy! :D :D

I'm curious, for clicker training do you actually need to buy a clicker or can I use anything that makes that clicking noise? (like a pen or something) Stupid question? :p

I'll step in and answer this, from what I understand the most important thing with a clicker is that it be a consistent sound that is always the same, same type of click, same volume, etc., so that they learn without a doubt that that sound means "yes that's what I want!" So a pen would work probably, although it's more quiet so if you were doing training with a lot of background noise or distance it might be drowned out more, but it would work. Some dogs who are scared of regular clickers because of the noise do better with a soft click like a pen.

Clicker training is more a concept of training than an exact method. It teaches a dog to think for him/herself and offer behaviors in order to get that click rather than a dog waiting to be told what it should do. It's a very confidence-building method too I think, absolutely no negative reinforcement at all.

Now to respond to Daisy's new trick, good girl Daisy!! You found out very quickly how to get that coveted click didn't you girl? :D Next pup I get someday, I plan to start right off with clicker training :)

primabella
07-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
I'll step in and answer this, from what I understand the most important thing with a clicker is that it be a consistent sound that is always the same, same type of click, same volume, etc., so that they learn without a doubt that that sound means "yes that's what I want!" So a pen would work probably, although it's more quiet so if you were doing training with a lot of background noise or distance it might be drowned out more, but it would work. Some dogs who are scared of regular clickers because of the noise do better with a soft click like a pen.

Clicker training is more a concept of training than an exact method. It teaches a dog to think for him/herself and offer behaviors in order to get that click rather than a dog waiting to be told what it should do. It's a very confidence-building method too I think, absolutely no negative reinforcement at all.

Now to respond to Daisy's new trick, good girl Daisy!! You found out very quickly how to get that coveted click didn't you girl? :D Next pup I get someday, I plan to start right off with clicker training :)

Wow, thanks a lot for the input Jessica! It was very helpful. I'll look into finding something that makes a loud click around the house. I haven't seen any in the stores. :(, but I know I'll need something loud since it's always so noisy in here. :p

Albea
07-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Good girl, Daisy! But then, we always knew that besides being very pretty, you are also very smart.:D

*LabLoverKEB*
07-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Good girl,, Daisy! I'm so proud of you!:)

GoldenRetrLuver
07-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Thanks everyone! :D

Haha Liana, Jess did a great job explaining it. Better than I could ever do. :o

Aww.. thanks Alicia, Daisy's blushing. ;) How's that Carina girl of yours?

DogLover9501
07-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Julie, I know what you mean, those clickers work miracles! lol

I also know what you mean about feeling so proud over tricks that some people don't think anything of, I got all excited a couple days ago just because Jasper was doing "wait" :o

Good girl, Daisy :D

Dogz
07-22-2004, 10:15 PM
GOOD GIRL, DAISY!!

What a smart girl she is. I've heard of clicker training, but I have never seen it used. I haven't seen them in stores either. Are they are Petsmart/Petco, etc.?

Do you have any videos/pictures of her doing her new tricks? :)

GoldenRetrLuver
07-23-2004, 01:33 AM
Thanks everyone.

I only have one clicker; which came with this starter pack on Clicker Training from Petco. I haven't seen Clickers sold individually anywhere around here, so I better hope I don't loose this one. ;)

I'll try to get pictures and/or a video once I get new batteries for my camera. :)