PDA

View Full Version : Worms?

Kfamr
07-21-2004, 12:21 PM
I was outside with Kiara while she was going poopie and I just glanced and saw something hanging there.

Now, I have horrible eyesight so I don't know if it was poop, a piece of string, or worms.... or if I was just seeing things.

The reason i'm posting this is because i'd like to know what are some signs of worms... if any at all. She hasn't been doing anything different in my eyes, but even so something that she does could be a sign of worms... I dunno.

It just worried me.:p

CountryWolf07
07-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Hmm..

The worms.. they look like strings.. Anna had it. They are long, also..

Why don'tcha go get her checked out at the vet?

Kfamr
07-21-2004, 12:33 PM
She just went to the vets on monday.
My parents aren't home so I am incapable of transportation to the vet's office.

I'm just asking for side effects, or anything that comes along with having worms because i'm not even sure if that's what I saw.

GoldenRetrLuver
07-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Did the vet give you any de-wormer to mix in with her food to kill any worms that could be in there? That's usually what they do with puppies; at least over here.

If they are worms, it's probably Roundworm. They're in the intestines of puppies, and cause a "pot bellied" like appearance.

Good Luck with Kiara.

FizzGiggs_Mommy
07-21-2004, 01:02 PM
I think the effect depends on the type of worm. To be absolutly positive you should get your Mum or Dad to take a stool sample to your Vet to have it tested.

Here is a helpful website on canine worms.

Canine Worms (http://www.canismajor.com/dog/worms.html)

I hope this helps.

Kfamr
07-21-2004, 01:04 PM
No. I don't believe the vet even checked for any sort of worms while we were there... The humane society does all of that stuff before adopting them out.

So, I could have just been seeing things or she could have picked them up from somewhere around here. but, she hasn't been anywhere, besides the beach, and she only was on the groud maybe once or twice, we held her most of the time.

I've seen alot of puppies with "pot-bellies", and she is on the chubby side.

I was meaning side effects like, would it be causing her any pain, discomfort, etc...

*edit*

Thanks for the link FizzGiggs!

stacwase
07-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Usually the vet does a stool check - with a little stick up their butt. No?

Dogs with worms become malnourished if the worms are bad. If you look at their stools you may see worms wiggling, depending upon the type.

Kfamr
07-21-2004, 01:10 PM
I'm not sure what they did when they brought her in the back room, but in front of us all he did was look her over, feel her stomach and so on.

I'm going to have my parents call when they get home.

micki76
07-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by stacwase
Usually the vet does a stool check - with a little stick up their butt. No?

Fecals actually aren't very accurate. Many, many times they get a sample that has nothing in it, and yet the dog still has worms. A full sample 'fresh' from the yard is much better. I've had 2 dogs that were fecaled at the vet and negative, only to see worms the next day or so.

It never hurts to worm them, or even worm them a second time.

Kiara may be uncomfortable if she has a lot of worms, but there are no immediate life threatening side effects.

MariaM
07-21-2004, 01:40 PM
When we got Major the vet said she though he might have worms. She gave him a pill the first and second time we brought him in. I hadn't seen any.

I know *sometimes* if they have worms side effects might not show up for a while and they will appear fine. But after a while...I do not really know, I guess they might appear unhealthy.

pitc9
07-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Buddy had round worm VERY bad when I got him, ( I THINK it was round worm) and it took months of treatment to get rid of them all. But some types of worms stay dormant and will resurface after treatment and/or a negative.
So she may have had worms... the shelter dewormed her... but maybe there back again. Who knows.
Like the others said, a stool sample to the vet will help.

Even though it's been almost a year since Buddy's first negative stool came back, I still take samples in a few times a year. The earlier you catch the worms, the easier it is to get rid of them.

Buddy's was never in pain or anything like that, just had soft stool all the time and never gained weight till the worms were gone!

Kfamr
07-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks everyone.

I think possibly I was just seeing things.
She's gone poop twice since then and everything was normal like it has been. I'm just paranoid ;x

I'm going to have my dad call the vet's and the humane society (to see if she was de-wormed or had any signs of worms) when he gets home.

BitsyNaceyDog
07-21-2004, 02:54 PM
She may have had a wormer at the humane center. After the wormer is given you will still see worms for a little bit, only the worms will be dead, the body is just getting rid of them.

If she has live worms and it came out in her stool it would be tape worm. Tape worm is the only one that comes out. Other worms like hook worm stays inside. If you get a wormer make sure it is for all worms.

No reason to worry, she's in no danger.

lv4dogs
07-21-2004, 03:44 PM
Most puppies are born w/ round worms.
Yes the humane society should of treated her for them, but most treatments for roundworms in puppies is consisted of multiple treatments so most likely you would need to follow up with the remaining treatments. Every first puppy exam you should bring a stool sample or have the vet take one. Puppies are ussually treated even if it shows up negative.
You may not see them all the time.
Sometimes the dog shows no symptoms until they are heavily infested.
A dog can get parasites through many means & many parasites can be transmitted to your other dogs so if you think she them just grab a stool smaple & drop it off at your vets. They are cheap & so is the treatment for roundworms.

stacwase
07-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Fecals actually aren't very accurate. Many, many times they get a sample that has nothing in it, and yet the dog still has worms. A full sample 'fresh' from the yard is much better. I've had 2 dogs that were fecaled at the vet and negative, only to see worms the next day or so.

It never hurts to worm them, or even worm them a second time.

Kiara may be uncomfortable if she has a lot of worms, but there are no immediate life threatening side effects.

:eek: So I've been wasting my money all this time?!?! :mad: Grrrrr.

My husband shovels the dog pen for me, too - so I don't even see the poop. I guess I'll have to start looking.

*LabLoverKEB*
07-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Yikes! I really hope it's not worms! Keep us posted!

dappledoxie
07-21-2004, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't go so far to say fecals aren't accurate, they aren't 100% but nothing is. Sometimes worms aren't seen, tapeworms are normally seen in person rather than on a fecal but they are short, white, "rice" like segments. Rounds are long, white worms that may be seen when heavily infested. Worms eggs are shed in the feces but not at all times, perhaps that's why you could say fecals aren't totally accurate but they are still the most accurate way to check for worms. With puppies, we will check fecals every time they come in for vaccines during the puppy visits so we make sure we find them. :) Signs could be diarrhea, lethargy, pot-belly, bloody stool, or even vomiting we've seen some puppies vomit worms up when they have so many! Poor things!

lv4dogs
07-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Fecals are fairly accurate provided you have a nice sized fresh sample.
Keep in mind that tapeworms very rarely show up on fecals though, although they are quite easy & common to see in person. They resemble rice like pieces, ussually found on the feces, around the dogs rear, soemtimes on bedding & where the dog lays. Tapeworms are also not transmitted from pet to pet, they have to actually injest them to get them. Ussually from fleas or dead rodents. Provided the pet has enough fresh water & food these are the safest types of worms.

dappledoxie
07-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Exactomundo! :D :D hehe