PDA

View Full Version : Litterbox/haiball problems

catnapper
07-21-2004, 06:03 AM
About the same time Pouncer broke his paw, he started having a little problem with hairballs and constipation. The hairball and constipation thing started at the same time, so I would assume his constipation woud be a result of the hairballs. I asked the vet about it while we were there for the paw and she said that she didn't feel any obstructons and that I should just keep an eye on him to make sure that he does make a poopy every day.

Well I have been watching and I feel so bad for the little boy. He's always sitting in his box trying to poop. Hubby and the kids think its because he likes to sit in the litter -- how clueless are they if they can't see him pushing? Yes, Pouncer LOVEs to play in the litter boxes, but sitting in one straining is different than rolling around in one for fun. :rolleyes:

I know for sure that he DOES do his daily poop - often more than once a day. The funny thing is that all the while he's been having this problem, its fairly frequent that he misses the box. I know he's trying to hit the box, but in all his pushing, she tends to sort of travel in the box. Kind of like a little dance... if one spot didn't work, he shifts slightly to the left, if that didn't work, then go to the right. That sort of thing. So I'm usually picking poop up off the side of the box every other day or so. Once in a while a few off the floor right next to the box. I know he's not putting them there on purpose.

Now, do you think a revisit to the vet is in order? I feel so bad for the boy, but finances aren't great, and the vet said that some cats just have that problem with hairballs. I've been giving him some hairball remdy - maybe a different type of remedy since this one's not working too well? Talking of hairballs, he tends to have A LOT of them, and frequently... about once or twice a week. And they are HUGE hairballs. Poor Pouncer.

I don't know what else to do.. its already occured to me to buy a larger litter box to accomodate his "dancing" but I don't want to put a band-aid on the poop in the litter box problem, I want to help him with the hairballs that are causing the problem.

Any ideas?

Laura's Babies
07-21-2004, 06:27 AM
CAN PUMPKIN!! Give him canned pumpkin! That is what they told me to do for Princess.. Start with 2 teaspoons in the morning and 2 at night. Adjust according to how it works on him.. I researched it on the web and it is good for either problem, constipation or the flying poops.. A large can of it is about $1.50.. Worth a try, don't you think?

catnapper
07-21-2004, 06:35 AM
Thank you! Little Mr. Piggy will think he's getting a treat! Then I'll have Nosy Nicki in there looking for her share!

catmandu
07-21-2004, 09:11 AM
That is Good,and I think that the Vets,have a Gel,that helpsloosen Poor Pouncers stools!Pouncer,His Guardian Cat Angel,is praying for Pouncer!