PDA

View Full Version : Does your dog love you??

Cookiebaker
07-20-2004, 10:36 PM
And please describe what "love" means to you.

I'm not sure if Malone loves me or not. If he runs off, he doesn't come back because he loves me, and wants to see me. He comes back because I'm holding a cookie in my hand. And on nights when he sleeps on the bed with us, he hates it when I put my hand on him. He has never really been very snuggly or cuddly. But, on the other hand, when I get home from work, he is very wiggly and kissy and happy to see me. And if I get upset, it doesn't bother him at all.

Emerson, though, truly responds to me, and loves to be snuggled and cuddled. When he is on the bed at night, he lays as close as he can to me. He reacts to my tone of voice, and if I'm the least bit upset, he is right there trying to make me feel better. Overall he tries very had to please me.

What about your pups? Is one more affectionate than the other?? Would you say that they "love" you???

I'm just curious. ;)

BCBlondie
07-20-2004, 10:45 PM
Megan loves me sooooo much lol. She's got seperation anxiety now (she didn't when she was younger) and has to be with me 24/7. She's even in my bed every night. She loooooooves to lick me and play with me. Megan's always where I am, and if she wanders off, she comes running back as fast as she can when I call her. She also completely understands me... every word I say, she understands. When I left for camp last summer, she was very depressed and wouldn't eat anything for three days. She's extreeemely loyal. If you'd see her with me, you'd know that she really does love me. :D It makes me feel really special and honored to have such a wonderful, sweet, loyal friend like her. :)

(Speaking of Megan... she's under my chair now :p )

Edit:
As with my other dogs.. I don't really know..
Sesh really likes attention and he's very comfortable living with us and he really trusts us.
Miksy... I think he does lol.. but he's gotten more distant as he's aged. He still enjoys attention and stuff though and he's always listened really well.
Monica loves any human that gives her attention.

MariaM
07-20-2004, 10:47 PM
Hmm, well personally, I think it depends on the dog. I am sure Emerson and Malone BOTH love you, but they are different. Some dogs you can love, whereas others, can be your soulmate. Lots of people I know, had lots of dogs throughout their life and had one that was special. (well...of course they all are!)

I am sure Major loves me, but he never comes to me either, unless I have a biscuit. He doesn't like getting on my lap at all, and he doesn't cuddle. Sometime, if we both sit on the porch, I can get close enough to wrap my arm around him. That's it though, no farther. He used to sleep on my lap, now he can't fit, and doesn't really want to. It could be because when I was sitting he would jump on me and I'd get up and leave, so he might not want to get to close in fear of me leaving.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say? I mean, both dogs love you, but all dogs are different. Some dogs are more stubborn than others, while some don't have any 'pride'. I guess its sort of like siblings. I love my brother Michael and am always trying to make him happy. I am sure he loves me just as much, but never shows it. My sister is REALLY nice to me, and always shows me she loves me in things she does. However, I LOVE her, but don't always show it in the same way as I do Michael or she does me.

Toller 42
07-20-2004, 10:49 PM
I am pretty sure they all love me, but Tango more so than the others.

Tango and I seem to have a great relationship, she usually listens to me and she always follows me around. I NEVER have to carry treats with me to get her to come back if she is playing and running around with other dogs. If she hears my voice she's right beside me even if I don't call her, when I go to a friends house and come home she gets crazy and wags her tail somuch she can barely walk! my parents have told me that whenever I leave without her she stresses and yips and cries for about 45 minutes. If someone wants to play with her and I don't go with them she will just stand there and wait for me tosay it's okay to go with them, when I take her for walks and let her run around in a feild I don't even have to call her, all I do is walk away and she'll come running! Tango is only 1 year old so it's not as if she is extremely well trained, but she is a really great dog to have around! she also loves to cuddle with me, at bed-time she knows she is not supposed to come on my bed so she lays her head down on my bed and looks at me with such a cute face because she wants to be with me all the time.

Kfamr
07-20-2004, 10:50 PM
I personally think Simba and Nala love me.

I don't know how to describe their love.. to me there's no words to describe it. Irreplaceable maybe.. but that's no way to explain it to you.

They'd chose me over a plate of steaks.

Kiara on the other hand... although we've only had her for about 5 days or so now, I cannot step without her being right there. she follows me 24/7.. Even if she's in the living room and I go to another room for a few seconds.
I've often asked my parents to "watch her" while I go to the restroom or a different room, but I end up saying "nevermind" because she's right there following behind me.

KYS
07-20-2004, 10:52 PM
My dogs are crazy about me. :D

Rocky is a love bug, follows me around and loves
to touch me. Sheba is very independent, but
in her older years she too has become quite
affectionate and has to be near me.
She even gives me kisses.

I am sure Malone loves you very much.
Some dogs are just more independent than others
and have their own unique personalities.

*LabLoverKEB*
07-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Sadie is totally crazy about me. She cuddles with me, gives me kisses, we play together, she deffineatley loves me, and I love her so much.;)

Cookiebaker
07-20-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by KYS
I am sure Malone loves you very much.

Ya know, I think you hit the nail on the head. It never really occurred to me. It's an independance issue, not really a love issue. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Aspen and Misty
07-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Connor is a yes. I have never had a dog do facial expression like he does. he acctually raises his cheek bones under his eyes and his lips curl into a smile and his WHOLE butt goes. If I am on the couch he is up thre with me. If I am on the floor he is on my lap. Etc. etc. he never leaves my side.

If I judge weither Nova loved me or not on weither she cuddled it would be a big fat NOPE. BUT, I honestly beleave that if someone broke into the house right now Nova would be the first dog to attack the intruder to protect me. She is the first dog to coem when I truly need them. If we are outside and she is loose, would she come? NOPE. If I was home alone and I thought someone was down the hallway and wanted a dog to come with me would she come, YES. She shows her love other ways though. I've never had anyone look at me the way she looks at me. I can't even explain in words the way I feel about her.

But, if you asked me who loved me more? I would have to say Nova, she may not show it in the ways alot of people want (cuddling etc.) but she shows it in other ways.

Ashley

Dogz
07-20-2004, 11:16 PM
I am sure all of our dogs love us in different ways, if you know what i mean. Each dog just looks at us a bit differently than the other.

Digger- He really loves my dad. My dad spent the most time with him when he was younger. Now that he is older, I have been spending more time with him. He loves my dad to peices still, and would do anything in the world for him. But, I feel that we have connected over the years that I have been spending more time with him. I feel that our love has grown tremendously.

Prince- Yes, he loves me as much as I love him. I can tell. He looks at me in that way that says, "Oh, I love you so much." I give him the same look back. He knows how I am feeling, as I do with him. All he wants to do is make me happy. If I am sad, he is sad. If he is sad, I am sad. That type of thing. Our bond is so close. True love.

Chubby- Well, actually Chubby and I never actually bonded as close as Prince and I did. I would have to say that Chubby "loves" everyone. He is such a cuddley dog, and he wants to be as close to you as possible. His face is never within an inch of your face. I can tell that he has grown to love me more than he used to, but it just isn't quite the same as it is with Prince.

Otis- Boy oh boy. Does this dog know how to love? Really, he loves me, my mom, and my dad. You would never suspect it though. ;) Mainly, he wants what he wants and he will do whatever he can to get just that. He "loves" the person who does what he wants. Kay said that Simba and Nala would choose her over a steak. Not something you would say with Otis! :D

jazzcat
07-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Although Disney doesn't really make me feel very loved by her I know that in her special way she does love me. The main reason I know that I must matter to her is because she looks for me when I'm gone. If my husband comes in without me he says Disney will almost go crazy looking for me and will wait at the door for a long time before giving up.

I think that is kind of odd because when I'm home she really doesn't pay much attention to me and she hates to be held or even petted much but she does seem to always want to be in whichever room I'm in.

I miss my RB Pepper. As my mom said, he worshipped me. Truth is I worshipped him too.

tikeyas_mom
07-21-2004, 12:58 AM
umm does this explain it???

http://img30.photobucket.com/albums/v89/jynnellepets/pets/me_hug_tikeya.jpg

http://img30.photobucket.com/albums/v89/jynnellepets/pets/f9352a1d.jpg

I like to think that she does love me, considering she freaks out and gets VERY bad anxiety when I am gone.. :eek:

molucass
07-21-2004, 01:00 AM
Bailee loves my mom a lot, but she actually just likes people in general... I care about her, but she gets on my nerves, and I think she knows it... Shes wayyyy too high strung for me (and for Felony)... Our personalities don't mesh well together.

Molly prefers my mom, but if my mom isn't home, she will come get in my lap.... and she won't listen to my mom when she tells her to go outside. When I say "Molly get outside", she obeys immediately. She has also taken to sleeping in my room or sometimes in my bed now... She used to sleep in my moms bed every night, but when we say "Time for bed", she goes upstairs to my room now. I think Molly loves everyone in my family... except for my sister, but my sister is mean.... so I understand... =P

Annie definitely does... she follows me everywhere I go, listens to everything I say, and generally just wants to be near me. My mom says that she whines for me at the door when I leave and don't bring her with me... When I say "I love you" to Annie, she gives me kisses on my cheek. She's such a sweet, mellow dog, and I couldn't imagine my life with out my lil' red cuddle bug! :)

Felony does as well.. He's my baby boy!!! He's too big to fit in my lap now, so when I sit in one of the chairs, he comes and puts his paws up on me and leaves his back feet on the ground... On the couch he gets as close to me as he can get. He lays his head down and kisses me, and etc. He sleeps with me every night, and he has to have some part of his body touching mine or he won't go to sleep... I guess he wants to make sure that if I get up, he does too. When I go to another room, I can hardly walk without tripping over him, because he has to be right there with me, everywhere I go... He's very calm, just like me, so like with Annie, we get along very well with each other... :)

I love my children! :D

heinz57_79
07-21-2004, 01:53 AM
I know my kids love me. Chloe has always been MY dog. She comes to me when she gets a pricker in her paw. She comes to me when she's not feeling well. I always have to be in her line of sight.

Charlie loves everyone. But when I was going thru a hard time a couple years ago, he'd sleep with me every night, sharing my pillow. He'd come over, put his head on my tummy and look at me with that look that says "Hey, everything will be ok mom!"

And the puppies, they love me too. I have 2 shadows with me every where I go. And when they come and sit with me and look at me with those big brown eyes, it just melts my heart!

swimma253
07-21-2004, 07:23 AM
Meeka loves me very much. NOw she is not a snuggly dog either... she does not like to be picked up... or hugged. But she does love you to pet her. And she loves to play. If you are in a different room than her watching tv... she will come from the other room and sleep by your feet because she just wants to be with you. :D Pretty much I think she loves me!

Pam
07-21-2004, 07:30 AM
I think both of mine love me but Ripley has a more intense way of showing it. If I go from one room to the next they get up and follow me. If I go downstairs and then realize I have forgotten something upstairs they will follow me right back up the stairs, even though we all just came down. :D Sometimes I say to them 'stay here, I'll be right back' but of course they have no idea what I am saying. :rolleyes:

When I am sitting Ripley is always in my lap. Bella would be too, I think, if she could fit, but she is generally happy to be close by.

My neighbor once pointed out to me that at any time of the day, while I am at work, when she goes out front the dogs are in the window looking out. Maybe they are just nosy :rolleyes: as to what is going on in the neighborhood. Hubby told me that recently when I was away overnight they wouldn't eat.

stacwase
07-21-2004, 07:36 AM
Max loves me!! He's not a snuggler, but he wants to be with me all the time, so I know he loves me. When I take him hiking, he leaves the trail but he comes back every 2-3 minutes to make sure I'm OK. He gives me big Max hugs a few times a day - they consist of him burying his big head underneath me whenever I sit or lay down.

The chis are big time snugglers. They love anybody who is warm and snuggly! But they do love me the best of anybody here. They follow me everywhere.

Jake never acted like he loved us, at least for the last year or so. I think he really loved us, but was just sick.

primabella
07-21-2004, 08:49 AM
All I can say is I hope Mickey loves me as much as I love him. Or at least half of it. ;)

He's not an affectionate dog so I can't say "He doens't snuggle with me so he doesn't love me" But I'm the one he likes to follow around and I'm the one that he goes to when he wants to play. I don't want to speak for Mickey so I just hope and pray he is happy with us and loves me back.

Samantha Puppy
07-21-2004, 09:08 AM
Samantha is a total lovebug, she loves everyone but her daddy and I hold a special place in her heart. She whines whenever one of us leave, even to just go get the mail. She sleeps in between us on our bed and lets me cuddle with her for as long as I want in the morning before I get ready for work. I put my arm around her and support her head like a baby, coo at her, and pet her and she'd let it go on for hours if she could. If Josh or I leave the room, even to just go get a drink from the kitchen, she follows us to see what we're doing and how long we'll be. If one of us goes to the bathroom, she pops her head in if we're taking longer than she prefers. She is absolutely perfect. :)

ParNone
07-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Oz loves me so much, he almost broke my nose the other morning. ;) He's never been an overly kissy dog, but I noticed when he was a puppy, he loved to touch things with his nose. So I started touching my nose with his to show affection. Normally he does it in very gentle way, but the other morning, he was just so happy, happy, he just slammed that big ole schoze right into mine. The older he gets the more affection he shows. He comes and sits on me for butt scratchies and paws at my shoulder to scratch his chest and a lot of times he sleeps with his nose resting across my legs or shoulder. He doesn't have any issue with me leaving him at home, but boy anywhere else and he goes into a panic. That time my friend drove off in her car with him, with me following behind in my car, he acted like he was being kidnapped. He watched me the whole time from the back seat, eyes never left me, frantically pacing and according to my friend he wailed like he was being killed.

I never thought Murph loved me, but somewhere along the line we bonded without me realizing it. I looked up one day and realized he was watching me all the time and coming to me for cuddling and actually started giving me lil' kisses. I think maybe he always loved me, it's just he was more independent and into playing and exploring, then sitting around getting petted. He's gotten very attuned to me mentally too, I've noticed. He lives to go walking and if I even think about taking him walking, he jumps up, all excited, running back and forth to me and the door.

Ah that Gully. That lil' guy has weedled his way into my heart. He's not really into petting either, but he's more demonstrative in his affection, then Murph and Oz at that age. He woke me up this morning, nosing me and kissing me. He bonds closer to me everyday. He and Oz are my constant shadows.

Par...

anna_66
07-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Angus has never been much of a cuddler. He always just wanted a quick pet, ear rub or maybe a neck scratch. But since he's gotten older he doesn't mind if I give him big ol' hugs, he actually kinda likes them now:) He's always been there for me whenever I'm upset. He stays right there with me.

Now Roxey can be quite a momma's girl (as was demonstrated last Sunday at the park:rolleyes: ). I knew she was a little jealous when I had treats but other than that she never much cared about me paying attention to other dogs. But on Sunday she just got real jealous and a little viscious to some of the other dogs. So we had to go home. Now she's always just so tuckered when we come home all she does is sleep, but not this time. All she wanted to do was play with mom and be by me all night. Guess she loves me more than I realized.

And Huney, what can I say about her? She loves us so much and I think she is truly glad that she gets to live with us. I've never seen a more appreciative dog than her. Although she doesn't like to be held tight or cuddled, she will sometimes allow me to. I think she does it for me...what a girlhttp://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/Smileys/6.gif

So yes, I think they love me. Each in their own special way.

Smilla
07-21-2004, 12:01 PM
I've wondered if Lefty really loves me. He's been taken to the shelter so many times, and I haven't had him for even a year yet, so he may not allow himself to "fall in love" easily. (Admittedly, I could be anthropomorphizing here.)

I also think he loves attention and has figured out that being cute and affectionate himself will get him that attention.

On the other hand, he follows me all over and genuinely seems to prefer being near me.

But then again, maybe I shouldn't wonder too much about this, and let the dog simply be a dog. :)

Albea
07-21-2004, 12:41 PM
I think dogs are like people. Some show their feelings more than others.
Carina never gives kisses unless I ask her, but she'll try to be on my lap whenever she can.
With my first Golden, Natasha, I was never sure if she loved me or she wanted to make absolutely sure I loved her. If she went to the backyard even for five minutes, when she came back she wanted me to pet her and make sure that I still loved her.
Since I had Goldens for the last 27 years, and they are love bugs who always followed me like my shadow and were always very happy when I came back home, I just assumed they loved me as much as I loved them.

cali
07-21-2004, 03:52 PM
Happy is not a cuddly dog, but she does love me, she would never run away, she usally sleeps on the floor but curles up around my head till I fall asleep, when she plays flyball she is not playing for a toy, she is playing cuz she loves the game she wants to bring that ball to me, she does not want a treat for it, she will ignore it if you try to reward her for bringing the ball. she gives me hugs, and stays by my side, while she will do things without me, she is not herslef when I am not there. my mom says Happy is my buddy, she is always with me, never her.

Misty loves me as well, she also loves my mom and my grandpa, but when it comes to flyball or agility, its me she preforms for, no one else, my mom tryed, Misty looked at me the whole time and ignored the hotdogs my mom was trying to offer her. while I joke that she loves my gradpa more then me, she only cuddles up to him while I am their, as soon as I get up to leave Misty follows me. Misty never runs away, I mean she will run out the gate but as soon as I call her she is back

Perky Hates me, she always has. she loves my mom and my brother however, she gets out the gate she sits in the driveway and waits for someone to let her back in. why she likes my brother so much is beyond me, he treats her that cr*p, and she loves him to death, I teart her as best as I possabley can and she hates me, he first day home she bit me in the face, twice. other people she will growl but that it, me she will growl yes but she WILL bite me if I dont get out of the way.

Ripley loves me, the same way he loves everyone in the world lol

Blair, he loves me, not as much as he loves my mom but he does hang around me and play with me quite often and he wont run away or anything, and he does not bit me and he cuddles with me and such, but he is my moms baby.

cali
07-21-2004, 04:00 PM
shadow, I dont think loved us much, she was not happy, and did not get along with the others, she NEVER kissed, or slept on the bed she rarly cuddled etc.. I had always though that was just her personality, but now that I see her in her new home, she LOVES to cuddle, she sleeps on there beds next to their heads and kiss a little kiss every night, if they go out she gets upset or if she is being diggie sat and one of her new familys names are mentioned she runs to the door and cries, she loves to play, and always has a grin on her face, at my house she hated playing, and she never grined. I am just glad she is so much happier in her new home :)

chrissycat21
07-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Snowy just loves to be cuddled and petted. She loves when people pick her up and she loves to sleep in my lap (she is right now). She gives so many kisses, my arms are praticly soaked by the time I tell her to stop! Whenever I sit down, I have all this extra weight in my lap, or if I am at the table I have two paws and a head, because she can't sit with me while I'm eating. When I sit down on the couch, she barks until I sit on the floor with her (she is not allowed on the new couches) She sleeps with me every night until about midnight and then goes to her 'den'. In the morning when I come down, she opens her eyes, sighs, and goes back to sleep after giving me a kiss. I love her and hopefully she loves me just as much!

-Chrissy

dukedogsmom
07-21-2004, 07:09 PM
I know Duke loves me. He follows me around a lot. He likes to snuggle at night when going to sleep. He sulks all day when I'm at work. He's the one special dog of my lifetime, I know that. He's my furry soulmate. It's really hard to describe how we feel about each other. It's like the perfect relationship.

micki76
07-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by KYS

ITA. Millie is always on me, freaks out when I come home, kisses me constantly, but she's ok if I'm not there.

Chester likes to sit in my lap, will kiss me, but doesn't show it in the Jack Russell To The Extreme way that Millie does. Yet, he's the one who looks for me when I'm gone and won't eat if I'm away for a day or so. :)

So yes, they both love me, but show it in very different ways.

My husband says Millie's like him and Chester's like me, lol. :p

sabies
07-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Yes, Sadie loves me. We have similar personalities and are both very dependent on each other - and we like it that way. I got her when I was setting out on my own so we've been thru rough times together.

Some people say dogs can't love but I don't believe she is any less capable of feeling love than I am.

K9soul
07-21-2004, 09:37 PM
I feel very loved by both my pups, and did as well with my RB collies although Cody tended to love all people and seemed happy with anyone, whereas Willie was intensely attached to me above all others.

Tasha is not a cuddler so much, she doesn't try to sit or lay in my lap, she will come up for scratchies and then go lay down after she's satisfied. But the way she gazes at me, follows my every move, goes into incredible joyous mode when I come home from anywhere or even when I get up in the morning, the way she looks to me for safety when she's insecure, and the way she is protective of me around strange people or dogs. She loves David too, but her emotions towards me are much more intense.

Tommy is the most cuddly dog I've ever been around. He will lay for as long as a couple hours with his head on my foot or leg, tries to sit his big behind in my lap if I sit on the floor, will lay in the most awkward and uncomfortable-looking positions in order to be in some sort of physical contact with me or David. He gets most excited and playful around his Daddy, but tends to shadow me the most, staying close and settling down where ever I am in the house.

I do believe all of our dogs feel love for us, but display varying degrees of independence, dependence, and affection. I admit I am one of those who really enjoys affectionate personalities in dogs. :)

Kfamr
07-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Jess... Wow. It's so amazing how our dog's personailities are so similar. Simba is like Tasha and Nala is like Tommy! :p

K9soul
07-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Jess... Wow. It's so amazing how our dog's personailities are so similar. Simba is like Tasha and Nala is like Tommy! :p

I know the way you've described Simba before reminded me of Tasha too, and of course Nala has reminded me of Tommy's personality too in the videos where she's playing and such. Does she try to sit in your lap too? LOL. Tommy makes my legs go to sleep after a few minutes sitting/laying on them :D