PDA

View Full Version : I'll blame this one on pregnancy hormones...

Tonya
07-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Haha, I have to share my most recent psychotic episode. Although, I'm still a tad embarrassed, I find it pretty funny.

You see, my dad just jumped this pyramid scheme band wagon. You give these people all of your money, they invest it into high risk stocks, and you become debt free and a millionaire in 12 years. In the mean time, you recruit four families a month, and you earn an additional $300,000 a year.

So, anyways, he's been bugging the heck out of me to listen to the presentation so that I can flush all of my money down the toilet (errr, I mean become a millionaire) too. So, finally I agreed to listen. Mike was mad at me for agreeing, but I convinced him to sit through it. I told him it was only 45 minutes long, to not ask questions (so that it won't be drug on) and to just tell them that we'll think about it.

Well, so the representative that is training my dad (you don't even need a real education to take away people's money), my father, Mike, and I all sat down. Right off the bat, they started telling me to back out of my real estate deal. -Not sell my house, refinance it, give them the cash and invest that cash.

Well, to make a long story short...Mike got sooo excited. He got totally suckered into the whole scam. I calmly kept repeating myself that I was very adamant about selling my house. I politely asked over and over and over and over and over again for them to drop the subject on keeping my house and tell me how else I can save money. (They were wanting me to call my realtor right that second because we already have a pending offer.) I kept smiling sweetly at Mike and saying "Honey, we'll talk about it later." And then when people weren't looking, I was giving Mike the throat slash gesture and mouthing "SHUT UP!"

Well, after THREE AND A HALF hours later the subject hadn't changed. I had three people against me repeating and repeating themselves. I kept telling them that I fully understood what they were saying, but I was not interested in keeping this house.

Well, needless to say, I flipped out. I screamed "I don't want this @#$&* termite and rat infested house! My family and my time is more important then being a &@#$* Millionaire!" (Or something to that sort...) Then I burst into tears.

The lady freaked out and packed her stuff and left. My dad got all upset and left too.

After they left, we made a few phone calls and I proved to Mike that they were incorrect on the information they were giving us. I know my dad would never lie to me intentionally, but his brain is in some stupid haze right now. Mike felt really bad for making me so upset. He said he just got so excited about being rich that he didn't notice that I was getting disgruntled.

I thought about calling my dad and that woman and appologizing for my outburst. But maybe not. I'm still pretty miffed.

Samantha Puppy
07-20-2004, 12:09 PM
No way, I wouldn't call anyone to apologize. I would have have a similar (if not worse) reaction to yours and I'm not pregnant! They were out of line in not backing down once you made your comment about wanting to sell the house, so screw 'em. Don't you worry your pretty little head about apologizing to anyone.

And enjoy your new house!

DJFyrewolf36
07-20-2004, 12:12 PM
Arrgh I hate pyramid scams. I'd tell the people to get the %#@* out the FIRST time they started to get pushy! You handled it a lot better than I would have, for sure. No need to apologise I think. You aren't interested, period end of statement. If they insist upon being pushy, they deserve to get told off IMO.

robinh
07-20-2004, 12:18 PM
I went through one of those kind kind of presentations too. They didn't talk to me about selling my house but I don't own one. They were really big on having me move my money from the company who now manages it to theirs. I listened for quite a while and politely told them no. They then started on Dick (what a mistake!). It was so funny when he started outtalking them. He's a carpenter and they seemed to think he wasn't very smart - bad assumption - very bad.

If nothing else, it was an evenings entertainment.

I don't know if I would apologize - you have every right to say no and for them (even dad) to keep harping for 3 hours is asking a lot. It seems to me that you weren't able to get them to listen until you got upset. If your dad calls, tell him you're sorry but you don't agree with the companys assessment of your situation and you'd appreciate his not bugging you about it any more.

G.P.girl
07-20-2004, 12:22 PM
there's no way i would ever apologize, but then i'm a veery stubborn person and i wouldn't have even sat down to talk to them. i think since they kept buggin gyou about it and wouldn;t stop they deserved what they got.

kimlovescats
07-20-2004, 01:40 PM
LOL!!!! Sorry, couldn't resist .... sounds like something I would do!;)

NO WAY do you need to apologize to the forceful, money-sucking salesperson. (Maybe to Dad though);)

I am so glad that you were able to stick to your guns though .... and not throw away the investment you already have in your home, and your new life in your new home! Hang in there, the house will close, you will move in and settle, and the baby will have a happy and comfy new home!!!:)

(HUGS)
Kim;)

heinz57_79
07-20-2004, 02:08 PM
I would have gone off, pregnant or not. LoL I don't think you need to appologise to anyone except maybe your pops. :)

boscibo
07-20-2004, 05:50 PM
No way would I ever apologize to someone who was tying to RIP ME OFF! My SO got suckered for about 2 grand from a pyramid scheme (so did his friend who got him into it). Those things never, ever pay off. The only people who make money are the ones at the top. Everyone else loses.

carole
07-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Good on you Tonya, for standing up for your beliefs and ok so maybe letting them know was a bit of an emotional outburst, but hey you are allowed right how ok lol.

All those get rich quick schemes are just that schemes and scams, and only a very few make any money, My sister n law and brother n law tried to talk us into one some years back, hubby is very stubborn and would not budge, me the sucker i am was a little interested, anyhow to cut a long story short , it failed, they lost their money and so did all their friends they talked into going into it, and did they feel bad, you bet, luckily it was not a lot of money.

captain
07-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Tonya,
You cannot blame the pregnancy hormones .......... you would have done that anyway :D :D :D .......

Don't apologise. They need to see they cannot TELL you what to do!!!

Had a similar thing happen with my SIL and BIL ................ but it was called AMWAY!!!!!

Hugs to you!!! :D

carole
07-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Oh yes good old Amway, yes another SIL AND BIL tryed that one on us too, I went to one meeting , that was enough to turn me right off, it was like some kind of religious cult in a way, SAD!! yes I never saw them make big money out of it either.

Tonya
07-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Yeah, you are right, that outburst would have happened no matter what. hehe. I probably wouldn't have sobbed uncontrollably though. lol.

I talked to my dad today. He said he was actually happy that I did that. He felt that she was pushing me way to hard. He *said* that he was also disappointed in her because he'd told her ahead of time that I didn't want to keep my house, so not to bring that up. He told her where I stood and what areas that I could be helped in...But she was so hellbent on me keeping my house. He said he couldn't say or do much once she got started because he is the trainee.

This lady claimed that the reps make $300,00 a year "helping families" not to mention all the money she is making from wise investments...Yet, she mentioned where she lived which happened to be in a not so great area in one of the most disgusting cities in California. (Stockton, for those of you who know this area.) (p.s. sorry if you live in Stockton...no offense...hehe)

And, she also mentioned how she is so against credit card debt that last month, she paid her mortgage payment 29 days late so that she could purchase a dining table without financing it. hmmmm, that sounds like a millionaire....

Denyce
07-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Besides. Pyramids schemes are illegal.

catnapper
07-20-2004, 07:40 PM
LOL!!! What a scam! I would have had an outburst larger than that and a whole lot sooner! I have no patience with garbage like that.

Someone once tried to get me involved in the world of Rainbow "cleaners" (vaccuum is a no-no word with them) I actually went to a meeting just because I was curious. For as rich as the company was supposed to be, their offices were furnished with what looked like Salvation army rejects, and you'd have assumed their place would be clean clean clean without any stains anywhere... nope.