PDA

View Full Version : Question about fighting cats, for a cousin!

DogLover9501
07-20-2004, 10:30 AM
My cousin lives with a girl that goes to the same university as she does.

All together they have 4-5 cats living in the apartment.

One of the girl cats, is always starting fights, but seems to only start them with the males, this sometimes results in bleeding cats!!!

They have been doing a few things, like putting her into a seperate room whenever she starts fights, but it's not doing anything.

Advice, please??

DogLover9501
07-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Any advice??

jazzcat
07-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Maybe some rescue remedy in their water to calm them all down or Feliway to help calm her.

Sorry I'm not much help. I've been dealing with Scout starting fights with Ripley all year but luckily he just runs from her and doesn't fight back or it would be bad. I think with Scout it's just a fun game and she's not really trying to fight.

Denyce
07-20-2004, 11:14 AM
I don't really have any good advice. I too have had problems with 2 females fighting. Luckily one was my mom's cat Tribble, a female and my cat Deirdre another female. I say luckily because we were able to keep them seperated and that kept them from hurting one another. We had this while system of sharing the main part of the house between the two cats and whos cats got to be out in the main part when. The other set spent that time in the bedroom of the owner, either mom's or my own. But then we still had problems because neither wanted to back down in territory. So they were peeing on places in the main part of the house marking. So we ended up building a wall across the main portion and split the house in half basically so that they don't ever have to cross one another's territory. That pretty much works. But none of that will really help your cousin. Perhaps someone who has integrated more cats together will have some advice.

Denyce

Cataholic
07-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Hmmm....in my experience, it has always been the males that start stuff, and usually, it is picking on my females. I have four males and three females.

First, I thought, too many cats in such a space? Maybe there isn't enough safe territory for each cat? Though, my house is tiny, and I have 7 cats...

Then, I thought, medical issue? Have they ruled that out?

I would suggest not so much separating them into rooms, but, making a loud, disturbing noise when the fight happens, and scolding the kitty. You know how you KNOW they are about to attack? If you can get them then with the noise, it might help.

Good luck to your cousin.

DogLover9501
07-21-2004, 07:27 AM
Thanks everyone, and Johanna I'll pass that advice on to her!

I've been wondering how this has resulted in so many bloody endings, why would they end up bleeding if she knows they are fighting, she should seperate them before that part, she said something like she didn't want to get scratched up :rolleyes:

catcrazylady
07-21-2004, 07:56 AM
I don't blame your cousin for not wanting to stick her hand in a cat fight!! Bad idea!!
You can't watch them all the time and if the fights are that aggressive she might consider medication just to calm the situation down. I really didn't want to use meds either until Magoo and now I would swear by them!! Whatever it takes for a happy and peaceful household. The cats can't be relaxed when there is all this stress. Just enough meds to calm them not knock them out. Magoo does great and he plays all the time but now he doesn't have to freak out with every sound or activity. He is much happier and that makes ALL of us happier!!
I just take a 1/4 of a pill and roll it in a treat twice a day and that is all there is to that!!

DogLover9501
07-21-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
I don't blame your cousin for not wanting to stick her hand in a cat fight!! Bad idea!!
You can't watch them all the time and if the fights are that aggressive she might consider medication just to calm the situation down. I really didn't want to use meds either until Magoo and now I would swear by them!! Whatever it takes for a happy and peaceful household. The cats can't be relaxed when there is all this stress. Just enough meds to calm them not knock them out. Magoo does great and he plays all the time but now he doesn't have to freak out with every sound or activity. He is much happier and that makes ALL of us happier!!
I just take a 1/4 of a pill and roll it in a treat twice a day and that is all there is to that!!

What kind of meds are there for those sort of things?

catmandu
07-21-2004, 08:49 AM
That sounds fairly serious,if there are cuts,and abrasions,yiou might have to keep,the Female seperated,as you dont want ,to risk,the cuts getting infected!