PDA

View Full Version : Tricks for dogs 1-8 months

LuckiLab03
07-20-2004, 01:44 AM
I was looking for new tricks to teach Riley and came across this..

http://www.kidsanddogs.bravepages.com/firstyear.html

scroll down and you'll see it. It says at which age certain tricks should be taught and how to teach them to do it. A fun one I taught Riley was to "turn" (turn around) which I think I got from Kfamr.. she loves to do it though and its adorable. Anybody got any ideas for tricks to teach a 3 month old puppy? She learns reasonably fast but she'll only do a trick if she can watch the treat at the same time. She already knows:

Sit
Come/Stay
Down
Say Prayers
Turn
Shake
Other Shake
"Perch" like a bird on my arm
No touch

She's very advanced for her age! I'll have to post some movies of her doing her tricks.

The next tricks I'm thinking about doing next are "stand" and "gentle"

What other tricks do you think would be good to learn?

Kfamr
07-20-2004, 07:46 AM
I think the basics...

Stay, Come, Down, Wait...etc.
Although it's a bit harder to teach the basics because they're not as fun as the others. :p

RobiLee
07-20-2004, 08:00 AM
We are still working on basics!!!....lol. We haven't been able to even try to attempt fun ones. I have very stubborn girls. Just getting Katie to come when called is extremely difficult. Tori is a little easier but still difficult. Katie will do a sit and stay but I can't go to far or she follows. Tori, no way, will she stay...she is to bouncey!!

Robin :)

binka_nugget
07-20-2004, 08:21 AM
Stand is really useful for grooming. I'm in the process of teaching my dogs.

Bang (falling on their side) is a fun one. It's really easy to teach too. Another good one to teach is focus. It might be hard with a young pup though. I know when Kai was a pup, he had a 2 second attention span. ;) :p

cloverfdx
07-20-2004, 10:55 AM
"Bang" is a great one my Elvis has just learnt bang (Thanks to boring Winter days) and he thinks it is great fun. Also speak/ bark on command is another good one. I am working on "wave" with Elvis at the moment and then we are going to do "Yawn" or "Sneeze".

Keep up with the good work and try to stay on top of the important Obedience commands aswell. :)

Toller 42
07-20-2004, 02:23 PM
If your dog really likes to learn you could teach her all of these tricks I have listed below, my dog really loved to learn so she knew all of these tricks before she was 6 months old.

sit
down
come
wait
stay
heel
be nice
hurry up
turn
stand
speak
roll-over