PDA

View Full Version : Now i know why Americans love Pumpkin pie ...

carole
07-19-2004, 10:01 PM
I know this is a bit of a silly subject to write about, but today my American friend dropped by on his way home to Whakatane, and he brought with him some Pumpkin Pie, I have never ever tasted it, maybe just as well, it was soooo.......delicious, i just wanted to eat the whole slice, but i left it for hubby, I can only just imagine how many Calories it was loaded with after he told me what was in it, still the morsels i had I will indeed savour, no wonder you guys love it so much.:)

BTW Whakatane was the area hit by terrible floods in the weekend, luckily only two people lost their lives, but a lot of homes have been lost, my friend and his family are ok and safe, but please spare a thought for those hit by this dreadful unexpected floods, topped off by lots of earthquakes, bit close to home , the earthquakes were only one hour from here, but they were not too big and have calmed down.

Kfamr
07-19-2004, 10:03 PM
You can eat ALL of the Pumpkin Pie... I think it's disgusting. :p

carole
07-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Really Kay, you don't like it,? it is very sweet, if you have not a sweet tooth , then you would not like it for sure, I always hear Americans raving about how wonderful it is, personally I thought it was yummy, but I would find a big slice probably a bit sickly even for this old sweet tooth. cheers
;)

binka_nugget
07-19-2004, 10:08 PM
:D I love pumpkin pie! It's the only reason why I put up with the family gatherings during Thanksgiving.. to get some pie! :p

Kfamr
07-19-2004, 10:09 PM
I don't like the taste at all, and I have a sweet tooth. :p
I prefer Pecan pie! :D

popcornbird
07-19-2004, 10:18 PM
I looooooove pumpkin pie, but pecan pie and lemon cream pie are better. :p:D I actually like almost all pies. I have a sweet tooth. ;)

Uabassoon
07-19-2004, 10:24 PM
I love pumpkin pie. I make some every year for Thanksgiving and give them to my friends. They taste so much better when they are homemade, store bought pies kind of taste funny.

Karen
07-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Pumpkin pie, made right, isn't even that bad for you, honest! :) I like it in moderation. At Thanksgiving with my family, there's always pumpkin, apple and mince pie, and I usually have a sliver of each, skipping the mince if I've only room for two slivers!

Uabassoon
07-19-2004, 10:26 PM
What exactly is mince pie? I've always thought it was some kind of meat pie, but I was never really sure. I've never bothered to try it because just the name alone sounds kind of nasty.

Karen
07-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Found one commercial kind with this ingrediant list: sugar, apples, raisins, sultanas, currants, vegetable suet, orange peel, rice flour, lemon peel, glucose syrup, acetic acid, spices, salt, colour

In the old days it used to contain chopped meat, but we haven't done that since Great-Grandma's day. It's mostly apples and raisins and stuff - don't have the family recipe handy at the moment.

AmberLee
07-20-2004, 03:41 AM
Yep, in the old days it had minced bits of meat in it, but nowadays it's minced fruits/nuts/spices. It's my dad's favorite. I prefer pumpkin. Carole, I admire your taste! :D

Logan
07-20-2004, 05:48 AM
Carole, I love Pumpkin Pie too! I can never make a "pretty" one, as I tend to spill it over the edges, but still, it tastes good! :p Last year, I made a new recipe that included pecans and pumpkin, a combination of two of my favorite flavors! It was pretty good. My family seemed to enjoy it on Thanksgiving, anyway.

Hey Kay, one of the first things I had to teach my stepkids, after Scott and I got married, was that it wasn't nice to say that something someone else liked to eat was "disgusting"! It was quite a problem at our dinner table because they were not used to the kind of cooking I did (translatation.....they made me furious!!! :mad: ) Hehehe!!! Do I need to come teach you that too??? :p Just kidding!

Logan

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-20-2004, 05:54 AM
PUMPKIN PIE!!!

I could eat a whooolee pie.. warm and fresh loaded with whipped cream on the top!!!!

YUMMY!! :D

jenluckenbach
07-20-2004, 06:00 AM
I adore pumkin pie! And Karen is right, if you use low fat milk the pie really IS good for you. Pumkin has a lot of nutrients. :)

Lillycat
07-20-2004, 07:04 AM
i, too, love pumpkin pie.....basically like all pies.....i especially like eating pie for breakfast!!!!! yum!

lbaker
07-20-2004, 07:08 AM
Loooove punkin pie and mince meat pie (without the meat these days of course). Homemade whipped cream for the punkin and hard sauce for mince. Hard sauce is made with mostly powdered sugar and butter and mixed up until it's about the texture of creamed cheese. Sprinkle some nutmeg on top and just "a little dab will do ya". YUM

joanofark
07-20-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
You can eat ALL of the Pumpkin Pie... I think it's disgusting. :p

I agree:rolleyes: :eek: :p

heinz57_79
07-20-2004, 09:21 AM
I looooove pumpkin pie and pecan pie. At the Coco's restaurant here around the holiday time they have this pie called a Harvest Pie. OMG!! It's Sooooo good! There's something like 1600 calories PER SLICE. hehe It's like a pumpkin pie, with a pumpkin chiffon on top and creme. To DIE for! If anyone has a Coco's in their area (I think it may be a west coast thing, but I'm not sure) make sure you grab a pie for the holidays! They're SO worth the once-a-year wait. :D

QueenScoopalot
07-20-2004, 09:34 AM
MMMMMmmm it's one of my favorites, but I'll have to admit I like squash pie even more! Very hard to find however. :( And a homemade apple pie with vanilla ice cream on top SWOON!!!:D :p :D

Tonya
07-20-2004, 09:57 AM
Wow, I never even thought of that. I thought everyone ate pumpkin pie. I am not a big fan of it though. I usually choose hot apple pie with vanilla ice cream on it.

teenster3
07-20-2004, 10:32 AM
I like pumpkin pie once in awhile. Matthew absolutely hates it, so I don't buy it that often for only 2 people. My favorite is Dutch Apple with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!:Dmmm....yummy....making me hungry!!!!!

NoahsMommy
07-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Mmmmmm.....PIE!

I love pumpkin pie....its actually good for you, like Karen said. :)

RedHedd
07-20-2004, 01:23 PM
OK you guys are making me hungry and it's not lunch time yet! I LOVE pumpkin pie, but I like pecan pie even better .... that Coco's holiday special sounds like something I'm going to have to check out too! Yumm!

My vet just told me to try adding pumpkin to my cats' diets for added fiber. I didn't think they would like it but decided to give it a shot -- they LOVE it! They think it's an extra-special treat and lap it right up. Who'd a thunk it?

lbaker
07-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Not just cats either! My son & I bought a pumpkin on our way back from the beach one year and put it in the back seat with his dog Punk. Next thing you know the dog is feasting away gnawing a hole in the side! We couldn't get him to stop!

wolflady
07-20-2004, 01:37 PM
Me too, me too! I LOVE pumpkin pie! It's my holiday seasonal favorite. It's not Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie. Has anyone been to coldstone creamery? My friends introduced me to this place 2 years ago, and during the fall season, they have pumpkin ice cream. Mix it with some graham cracker crumbles and whipped cream and.....YUM! *swoons* It's the best thing ever...well coldstone in general is absolutely yummy.

Thanks for the tip about Coco's. I've seen it, but have never been there. I'll make it a point to stop in for pie during the holiday season this year.

I like pumpkin so much, in fact, that every year my friends and I have a "pumpkin day". We go over to Woodside and walk in the corn maze (and get lost), then pick out carving pumpkins, bring them home and carve them. We also eat everything pumpkin. Anyone ever have pumpkin ravioli? Yum! We also have butternut squash soup and pumpkin pie/ice cream for dessert while we watch Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown on DVD! Hehehehe...can't wait for pumpkin day!! :D
**hugs**
Karen

Petluvr013
07-20-2004, 03:02 PM
MMMMMMMMMM...PIE!!!:p

I love pumpkin pie!!! I love all pie!!! In america at the Dairy Queen in the fall they have a pumpkin pie blizzard!!! mmm... its sooooooo good, at first i thought i would hate it, but i love it!YUM

RedHedd
07-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
I like pumpkin so much, in fact, that every year my friends and I have a "pumpkin day". We go over to Woodside and walk in the corn maze (and get lost), then pick out carving pumpkins, bring them home and carve them. We also eat everything pumpkin. Anyone ever have pumpkin ravioli? Yum! We also have butternut squash soup and pumpkin pie/ice cream for dessert while we watch Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown on DVD! Hehehehe...can't wait for pumpkin day!! :D
**hugs**
Karen Sounds yummy to me! Perhaps we could do a Northern California PT Pumpkin Day this year?

wolflady
07-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
Sounds yummy to me! Perhaps we could do a Northern California PT Pumpkin Day this year?

That sounds great!!! I'm for it! I'll be sure to let you know when Pumpkin day rolls around! It's usually on the weekend sometime close to the end of October month:)

**hugs**
Karen

cali
07-20-2004, 04:14 PM
I am canadian not american, but Pumpkin pie is the ONLY kind of pie I like lol

molucass
07-20-2004, 05:03 PM
I like pumpkin pie sometimes, but not very often!

I definitely prefer pecan pie!! Yummm.

ParNone
07-20-2004, 05:09 PM
I never liked Pumpkin pie growing up, because most people make it too bland. I like it when I make though, because I add extra cinnamon and orange zest to give it some zing. I also have a Pumpkin Cheese pie recipe that I love. It's pumpkin pie with a cheesecakey feel to it.

But more than Pumpkin, I love Sweet Potato Pie. Mmmmm that's a southern classic.

Probably my least favorite pie is Pecan (correctly pronounced pah-con ;)). Although if it's the only thing to choose from, I'd force myself to eat it.:)

Par...

carole
07-20-2004, 05:46 PM
I don't think you would ever see a pumpkin pie in our supermarkets, I have however seen some recipes, but it is not something we generally eat in NZ, My american friend told me his was made with eggs, pumpkin of course, sweetened condensed milk, and evaporated milk, sugar in a sweet pastry, all of the above are loaded in calories, but yes the pumpkin is the good part, as an ongoing weightwatcher i am scared to see how many points one could toke up on this delicious dessert.

We have sweet mince pies here for xmas, and a mince pie is in a flakey pastry with mince and spices and stuff in it, the bought ones anyhow, mince here is like what you all call hamburger I think, I eat neither of those, hate the sweet ones, and the others are just too fatty.,sure smell good on a cold day though.

Sweet potato pie sounds a bit of allright to me, that would be what we call Kumara in NZ, and its my favourite vegetable.:)

And Kay I am not in the least bit offended you find Pumpkin Pie disgusting, if I did not like something that is how I would describe it perfectly as well, I know logan was only joshing with you anyhow.;)

popcornbird
07-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Logan

Hey Kay, one of the first things I had to teach my stepkids, after Scott and I got married, was that it wasn't nice to say that something someone else liked to eat was "disgusting"! It was quite a problem at our dinner table because they were not used to the kind of cooking I did (translatation.....they made me furious!!! :mad: ) Hehehe!!! Do I need to come teach you that too??? :p Just kidding!

Logan

LOL! You sound just like my mom! She cannot *stand* kids, or anyone, saying *such and such food* is disgusting. She thinks food should be valued, whether you like the taste or not, because there are some in this world who have nothing to eat at all, and would *die* to get a bite of the foods some say are disgusting. As a result, my brother and I were never allowed to say stuff like that and ended up eating almost everything.......whether we liked it or not. :p (I still insist Coke is disgusting though) :o:o

The other day we were invited to a friend's house for dinner, and there were some kids there. The host had made pizza, along with a whole bunch of different foods. One of the little girls, who was around 7, started whining and telling her mom the pizza was disgusting. :eek: (It was delicious btw) She said it so loud, and the host heard but didn't say anything. It made me furious to hear her say that when the person who cooked for us stood in the kitchen all day long, in the heat, to make dinner, only to get *its disgusting* in return. I hate it when kids do that.......especially when they say it at someone else's house, in front of the person who made the food. Makes me SO mad!

carole
07-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Well obviously PCB there are occasions when it is not acceptable to say such things, and children should be brought up to know that, my daughter might tell me something is disgusting I Made, but she would never do that at some-one elses dinner table.

It is called manners isn't it?:)

ps Even if she was telling me, she would put it in a much nicer way too.

KYS
07-20-2004, 06:19 PM
I love pumpkin pie too!
Try putting a scoop of vanilla ice-cream on it. :)

davidpizzica
07-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Carole, I think Pennylvania is the pumpkin pie state! I was raised on pumpkin pie. My mom made the most DELICIOUS pumpkin pie. I couldn't eat it now because of all the sugar and being a diabetic I have to watch it! But when I could eat it, it was GOOD!!

carole
07-21-2004, 12:07 AM
Yep David my first tasting experience of Pumpkin Pie was just too....good, I can still imagine that sweet yummy taste, and thats all I will be doing, too calorie loaded for me, but for a special occasion , hey then why not, that and cheesecake are so devine.

Maybe someone will send ya a pumpkin pie when you are in hospital. Now that would cheer ya up, any volunteers?;) :) :D

Kfamr
07-21-2004, 12:14 AM
Eh, I still think it's disgusting no matter what any of you think of me for saying such.

It's not like it's going to stop Carole, or anyone else from eating it...I'll give my slice to them if they wish.

I would never say something like that if someone offered me a piece of pumpkin pie, or if I was eating at their dinner table. But since this is a forum where we discuss our opinions on something... That's what I did.

But, I'm just a manner-less evil child. :(

MariaM
07-21-2004, 12:21 AM
Wow, I never even thought of that. I thought everyone ate pumpkin pie. I am not a big fan of it though. I usually choose hot apple pie with vanilla ice cream on it.

Di-tto!

I agree, its rude to say those things, but I know most kids (*most*, thankfully) know enough not to say it to other people, while they might say it to their parents. Sometimes I complain, but I never say its disgusting unless its...oatmeal. Believe me, I have tasted good oatmeal. Ours....BLEGH!

But, I'm just a manner-less evil child. :( AWWWWW!:(

G.P.girl
07-21-2004, 12:22 AM
i looooooooooooooooooove pumpkin pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edit:i don't like sweet potato pie though...

popcornbird
07-21-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Eh, I still think it's disgusting no matter what any of you think of me for saying such.

It's not like it's going to stop Carole, or anyone else from eating it...I'll give my slice to them if they wish.

I would never say something like that if someone offered me a piece of pumpkin pie, or if I was eating at their dinner table. But since this is a forum where we discuss our opinions on something... That's what I did.

But, I'm just a manner-less evil child. :(

:confused:

I wasn't talking about you. I just posted that because Logan's post reminded me of my mom's thoughts on referring to food as *disgusting*.

Like I said, I still think Coke's disgusting :p.

Kfamr
07-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Nor was I talking about you.

carole
07-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Now before this ends up in a cream pie in the face match (just kiddin) one I think Logan was not getting at Kay at all, she was just merely commenting in a joking manner, Two I am not in the least bit offended that Kay finds Pumpkin Pie disgusting, I don't think it is bad manners to say so on PT at all, if i thought it was ,that would be my vocab as well., we are all individuals with different taste and taste buds obviously, each to their own, me I find most sauces and dressings, the smell alone disgusting, oops there is that word again.:)

heinz57_79
07-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
Me too, me too! I LOVE pumpkin pie! It's my holiday seasonal favorite. It's not Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie. Has anyone been to coldstone creamery? My friends introduced me to this place 2 years ago, and during the fall season, they have pumpkin ice cream. Mix it with some graham cracker crumbles and whipped cream and.....YUM! *swoons* It's the best thing ever...well coldstone in general is absolutely yummy.

Thanks for the tip about Coco's. I've seen it, but have never been there. I'll make it a point to stop in for pie during the holiday season this year.

**hugs**
Karen

I may have to try the Cold Stone thing this fall. we've got a few around town, that I usually go to to get pepermint ice cream. :)

I have this fantastic recipe for a pumpkin pie with a pecan crumble on top. It's soooo good! Blah... now i'm craving... Darn these threads about food! :D

carole
07-21-2004, 11:29 PM
Would you care to share this recipe with us all, I for one would be interested, sounds even more yummy with pecan crumble, maybe even Kay might like it, ok Kay just kiddin.:) :D :cool:

davidpizzica
07-21-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by heinz57_79
I may have to try the Cold Stone thing this fall. we've got a few around town, that I usually go to to get pepermint ice cream. :)

I have this fantastic recipe for a pumpkin pie with a pecan crumble on top. It's soooo good! Blah... now i'm craving... Darn these threads about food! :D Carole, your right! all this talk about pumpkin pie almost makesme want to cheat on my diabetes!!

carole
07-21-2004, 11:46 PM
Yes David and its nearly dinner time here in NZ, and my tummy is rumbling, and their is no pumpkin pie in my fridge, not even dessert tonight. sob sob.!!!

davidpizzica
07-21-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by carole
Yes David and its nearly dinner time here in NZ, and my tummy is rumbling, and their is no pumpkin pie in my fridge, not even dessert tonight. sob sob.!!! Carole, let's cry together, WAH WAH WAH!!!

Kfamr
07-21-2004, 11:53 PM
There's this Reece's peanut butter type desert in our fridge.... It's really yummy too. ;)

dukedogsmom
07-22-2004, 07:34 AM
I LOVE pumpkin pie! That and pecan are my two favorite pies. Carole, can you get canned pumpkin over there? If not, maybe you would like me to ship you some? I would like the recipe for that one pie, too.

Logan
07-22-2004, 07:46 AM
Sorry if I offended you, Kay, I thought I made it very clear that I was just kidding. I would never suspect that you would use the bad manners, at the table, that I was talking about. Believe me, my stepson doesn't do it anymore either!!!! :D

carole
07-22-2004, 03:43 PM
I am not sure if you can buy canned pumpkin here, but my American friend just uses fresh butternut pumpkin or squash pumpkin, yes where is the recipe? maybe others would like to share their recipes.

Ah David you are a funny guy:) oh well less dessert , less hips, that makes me smile.lol

Logan I am sure you did not offend Kay, I think it was something else along those lines that was said, anyway this is all about Pumpkin Pie,not manners etc, so everyone how about it, recipes please.!!!thanks!!;)

Samantha Puppy
07-22-2004, 04:38 PM
The only time I'll eat a slice of pumpkin pie is on Thanksgiving Day, if it's heated just right with a little bit of Cool Whip on it. Otherwise, eh.

lbaker
07-23-2004, 06:52 AM
I tried doing the whole fresh pumpkin thing back in my "Earth Mother" days but decided the canned pumpkin was every bit as good (by adding the extra spices et al) and ever so much easier. And at Thanksgiving who really has the time to prepare a fresh pumpkin for pie making ... especially when you're expecting a whole passle of people for the day and have all the other fixin's to prepare!