PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who volunteer at animal shelters-

neko1
07-19-2004, 06:55 PM
I was thinking about possibly volunteering at the animal shelter but I'm so worried about bringing home any diseases or fleas..etc to my cats. If that happened, Iwould just die.

So I'm wondering what preventative measures you all take to avoid this. My cats are up to date on distemper and rabies vaccines, they do not get leukemia vaccines.

I really think I would love volunteering, but it's this one factor that I can't get out of my head.

Thanks for your help:D

kuhio98
07-19-2004, 07:05 PM
I've been volunteering at a no-kill shelter for the past 3 months. When I come home, I immediately head for the shower and scrub and throw my clothes into the wash. We've had an outbreak of ringworm at the shelter. So far, none of my kitties (or me) have gotten it. I'm always hot and sweaty and covered in cat hair when I leave there, so I'm always ready for a shower. Works for me!

Oh, I should mention that we don't have fleas and ticks in Alaska, so I don't know anything about those precautions. I'm sure someone here will know more about that.

Laura's Babies
07-19-2004, 07:41 PM
I do the same! I NEVER touch any of my kitties until I feel clean!
It is worthwhile work if you can take the sadness that goes with the job.. (There is a LOT of joy too)

wolflady
07-19-2004, 08:03 PM
I was very worried about this when I started volunteering at my shelter, then working for the vet hospital also!!

Be sure to keep some "crap clothes" around to wear everytime you go to the shelter, and shoes too. You never know what kind of "fluids" you may encounter while volunteering. I dealt with urine, some blood, vomit etc...but I also helped with the sick animals at the shelter a lot, so depending on what sorts of things you will be doing will help determine your garb.
Whenever I came home, I left my shoes outside, and like kuhio98 said, went straight to the shower, dumping my clothes in the hamper along the way whenever I came home.

I never had any trouble with any of my kitties, so I'm confident things will be ok for you and your furkids. It's a very worthwhile endeaver and you will feel so great for helping these precious babies at the shelter. :)

**hugs**
Karen

Laura's Babies
07-20-2004, 06:58 AM
Just remember this..... If you ever get bit, go to the doctor ASAP and get on antibotics... Do not wait until the next day! Go THAT day!! Cat bites are dangerous things (dog bites too) and need to be handled asap... The vet I use says he goes everytime he gets bit...

neko1
07-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Thank you all so much for your advice. I do have old clothes I could wear, I can't leave my shoes outside, though, but I could put them in the hallway closet.

I'm still back and forth over the idea....I'm just so afraid of giving something to my kitties:(

catmandu
07-20-2004, 10:07 AM
There should be bottles os Disafectant Soap,to wash your hands ,and you should take your clothes,and shoes,and clean them,before your Cats,can try out the odors,of strange Cats!

Desert Arabian
07-20-2004, 12:18 PM
I just sent in my application to volunteer @ our shelter. I am more worried about the rats catching something, than the cats. Our cats are up to date on all their shots, and they are on Frontline, so they will not get lice, ticks, or fleas. I really don't have too much to worry about that. Now, if a sick rat came into the shelter, then there would be a problem...I could do without more sick rats. :rolleyes:

Since we have an attached garage, I would probably keep my "shelter" clothes out there in a box or something so the cats, especially Sammy, wouldn't get into it. :D

I hope I get accepted, and I hope you apply!!! :D

wolflady
07-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Have you been down to the shelter where you might want to volunteer? Perhaps you could take a tour to see what the facility is like and the general health of the animals.

At my shelter, we had 1 room for the adoptable cats, 1 room for the feral cats, 1 area full of kennels for the dogs and then in the back was our hospital where we had 1 room for surgeries, 1 for sick animals, and an area for isolated (usually vicious) animals that animal control brought in.

I would alternate what I did at the shelter everytime I went. I spent most of my time with the adoptable cats in the cat room. All of these cats had their shots and were ready to be adopted...so they were all healthy. There was also a hand sanitizer on the wall, so I always used it between cat cuddling anyway, just to be on the safe side.
When I was working with the sickies in the back, the process was pretty much the same, but I just took extra precaution between handling of the animals and before I left the shelter I sprayed myself down with the nolva-cleanse/H2O dilution spray bottle. When I got home, I would put my clothes in the hamper, leave the shoes outside (or like you said, in your hall closet) and shower before even touching my cats.

Perhaps, if you are thinking of going just to socialize and cuddle the adoptables, I really don't think you should have much to worry about, especially if the adoptables at your shelter are fully vaccinated. It's definitely worthwhile, and the babies at the shelter will love you for it. I always had a soft spot for the older cats and got them out first and brushed them and played with them followed by the younger cats and kittens. The toughest part, I think, was not taking them all home!! ;) Good luck and let us know what you decide.
**hugs**
Karen

aly
07-20-2004, 12:39 PM
I've worked and volunteered at 3 shelters during the past 5 years. I've been around SO many sicknesses, almost every one in the book, and never brought one thing home to my dogs or cats. I even constantly take in fosters, but I'm careful with quarantine so my animals don't get sick from the fosters either.

I have shelter shoes that I keep in my trunk. I just bring along an extra pair of shoes to put on after I take the shelter shoes off and throw them in the trunk. I also throw my clothes directly into the washer. I don't always take a shower when I get home, but I usually do. While I'm at the shelter, I disinfect my hands and arms between each animal anyway.