PDA

View Full Version : litterbox problem?

lucysmom
07-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Lucy is a little over 2 years old and we have started having a problem with her. She started urinating and defecating on the floor. We tried using Feliway, with moderate success. the vet said she did not have any urinary problems. The past few days she has been urinating in the litter box, but we noticed her rear under her tail, was very dirty. We cleaned her, which she did not like too much, and found that around her anus, it is a bit red and looks a little raw. This is probably why she will avoid using the litterbox, it looks as if it hurts when she goes to the bathroom. Any suggestions on what this might be. Her appetite is fine and she is very active. She is an indoor cat. She appears to be very healthy otherwise. Thanks for any advise you can give me.

leonsmom
07-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Poor Lucy! And poor you! I think that you should take Lucy to see a vet, since maybe she has some kind of infection or problem that she is trying to not-so-subtly tell you about. Maybe she's refusing to use the litterbox because it hurts for her to go, which seems likely if her anus is red and painful. If she's 2 years old and not using her litterbox, she's definitely telling you something! At least call a vet's office, perhaps, because often they can help you diagnose the seriousness of problem. Hope this helps and good luck to you . . . :)

CatDad
07-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Lucy may not have a urinary tract problem, but there sounds like there is something wrong. I would take her back to the vet, and ask him what's up. Hopefully now that she is showing symptoms of something the vet will be able to help her.

Keeping good thoughts for her.

krazyaboutkatz
07-20-2004, 12:15 AM
I agree with the others. I'd take her back to the vet. Does it look like she's straining when she goes to the bathroom? If so she may be constipated and this is why her bottom is so irritated and red. I sure hope that the vet will be able to find out what's wrong with her. Good luck and please keep us updated.