PDA

View Full Version : I'm having computer problems, please help me

Amber
07-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Hi everyone, I'm sorry I haven't been on PT lately. My computer has been acting weird. The thing is my computer itself if fine, and im connected to the interent, but it's been so slow. It's never been like that. it's take forever to switch from page to page.

Anyone have any suggestions? I miss PT!

btw, someone spotted a grey long haired cat, and it could be Maggie. We could use some prayers on that. thanks. :)

jazzcat
07-19-2004, 04:37 PM
I'm not any help with computers but that sure is promising news about the gray cat. I'll say a prayer that it is your beautiful Maggie girl! Fingers and paws crossed.

Dogz
07-19-2004, 04:55 PM
You may want to call the company where you get your internet service from. (AOL, MSN, etc.) They might know why your internet is being slow, something may be going wrong on their end.

Prayers are going to you in hopes that you find your sweet Maggie. Keep us updated, Amber.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Have you run your anti-virus software lately? Also get an anti-spyware program such as Ad-aware http://lavasoft.element5.com/software/adaware/ which is free and run that. After that, go to the internet explorer icon on your desktop (the big "e") and right click on it. Left click on properties and then delete cookies, delete files and clear history.

**NOTE** after you delete cookies, you will need to re-sign into everything - like Pet Talk, so before you delete the cookies, make sure you remember all your user id's and passwords.

Once you do all this, go to Programs, Accessories, System Tools. Do a Disk Cleanup and a Disk Defragment and restart your computer.

This will all take some time, but if you've never done it, it will probably clean out a lot of junk and re-organize your computer so it runs a little faster.

**NOTE** if any screen comes up that you're not sure what to do with it, just cancel out and don't perform the action. This way you shouldn't do any damage that you won't be able to reverse.

Hope this helps and I sure hope the gray long haired cat is Maggie, that would be so wonderful!!!

dukedogsmom
07-19-2004, 05:32 PM
Also download another free one. Spybot search and destroy. It finds a lot of things that Adware doesn't. It's probably a virus or spyware.
I hope that cat was Maggie. Fingers and paws crossed.

almamee
07-19-2004, 05:34 PM
I have seen a gray long haired it depends where you live Amber because it might be someone elses unless you live in my state what state and town do u live in

heinz57_79
07-19-2004, 05:39 PM
You may need to "clean up" your computer. Run virus scan, defrag, system clean up, etc. That will free up space, get rid of temporary files etc. Another thing is check how many programs you have running in the back ground. In the lower right hand corner, by the clock, are all those icons. the more icons, the more things are running in the background and can slow things up. Also, how many icons do you have on your desktop? Again, the more icons, the slower things go. Get rid of any shortcuts you don't need, or programs you dont use. Just delete the icon, it won't delete the program. :) Hopefully this'll help.

I'll keep my fingers crossed on the kitty!

CatDad
07-19-2004, 05:47 PM
Well not much else to add. All the advice is very good.

There is some real geeky stuff to do, but someone would have to be in front of the computer to do it. It is far too involved to be explained a post, by me at least.

Anyway, good luck with that.

Also, I wanted to say that we are sending good thoughts about the kitty that was seen.

Amber
07-20-2004, 08:08 AM
Thankyou everyone for the help!

But now I got another problem..

Now, I turn on my computer, and windows Xpage is loading (with the green loading thing) it flickers to a blue screen and starts all over. Something is really wronge with my computer. And I end up just turning it off.

uhhh, I hate my computer.

yeah, I hope the grey cat is maggie also

Thanks again everyone

bluekat
07-20-2004, 10:38 AM
My computer has been pretty slow for me these past few days too...pages take very long to load on some sites but the rest works fine. They told me that we might have a firewall that is causing us to not be able to view some sites...but I don't really know if its really what's causing it. Oh well, good luck then!:)

And I'll keep my fingers crossed that the grey cat is Maggie!

MariaM
07-20-2004, 11:29 AM
I'll keep my fingers crossed too for Maggie!

Basically, like the others said, just delete a lot of stuff. Running ad-aware or other programs similar to that can help as well. Some of the pages have been going rather slow for me.