PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Has your dog ever growled at you?

MariaM
07-19-2004, 03:20 PM
Has your dog ever growled at you? Today when I tried to take Major's bone away from him, he let out this really mean growl..Should I be concerned??

Tonya
07-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Never. I refuse to own a large dog that I feel threatened by. Even my rainbow bridge dog, Rosco was never aggressive towards us. He was aggressive towards other children, that is why he had to be put down.

Sarah, my pomeranian has growled and has bitten me though. We're working on it and it is unacceptable. But I'm not overly concerned because she isn't physically capable of killing me.

chocolatepuppy
07-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Lacey does growl at well, everything. She is very vocal and is always making some kind of noise so in our situation we're not too concerned about it. She does get protective of her chewbones but will let Mandy take it but she doesn't want the cats near it. I guess you should try to teach Major not to do that. Maybe offer him a treat to let you take the bone away and then give it back to him. Let him know it's ok for you to take things from him. Maybe someone else could give you more advice on training him to do that.

Samantha Puppy
07-19-2004, 03:32 PM
I have never heard Samantha growl in a non-playful way (you know, that gutteral doggie noise they make when they're playing and having fun?) except for when Lila would push her too far last week. That is the ONLY time in two years, I have heard her growl nastily and show her teeth.

heinz57_79
07-19-2004, 03:34 PM
Arthur growled at me once.... ONCE... He's protective over his food if one of the other dogs get too close, and usually i don't pay attention to it cuz he never has a problem with me sticking my hand in his bowl. Then the other night, I went to pet him while he was chewing on a chewie and he growled at me. I picked him up, rolled him, took the chewie out of his mouth, got in his face and said "NO GROWL!" Since then, I've been able to take anything I wanted out of his mouth.

Just make sure that Major doesn't forget that you're top dog. Don't be afraid to roll him, to show YOUR dominance. Food agression can lead to other problems, so you don't want to let is escalate. :)

MariaM
07-19-2004, 03:34 PM
Hmm well Major didn't show his teeth, but I have a feeling he might have tried to snap if I DID take the bone away...I probably did the wrong thing, letting him have it, but it was the first time he'd done this (to me, I think he growled at my sister once) and I was so surprised, and a little sad.

dog'n'goatgal21
07-19-2004, 03:38 PM
i dont think that you should be concerned because your dog just wanted to keep the bone and she didn't want you to take it away. my dog does the same thing.:)

heinz57_79
07-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Puppies will do it on occasion. They're saying "This is MINE, and you can't have it." What they have to understand is it may be theirs, but YOU can take anytime you want to. If Major should get something that could harm him, and you need to take it away you need to not be afraid to do it.

I was watching animal cops the other day on Animal Planet and they had rescued this shep x, who had a collar embedded in his neck. Sweet , sweet dog. Until they fed him and did the agression test. They put the food down and used a rubber manaquin hand. He put holes in that hand! If it had been a human, they would have lost a finger or two. Because he was food aggressive, he was put down.

I know Major isn't THAT bad, but with something like that you need to be sure you nip it in the bud before it turns into something worse.

Pam
07-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Bella will growl at me (and/or Ripley) when we play Tug-O-War with her. Every dog I have ever owned has growled while playing Tug-O-War. I guess they are trying to scare me into giving up. :rolleyes: Ripley will growl back at her when they are playing Tug-O-War and it sounds like they are both ferocious! Come to think of it, I don't think Ripley has ever growled at me, even in playing.

MariaM
Ok, I'll try what you said if it happens again (which I'm sure it will since I let him get away with it) Hopefully he'll learn soon.

chocolatepuppy
Have you ever worked with Major on the 'give' or 'leave it' command? They come in very handy, like another poster said if you HAVE to get something away from him, something that could harm him.

heinz57_79
07-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Pam
Bella will growl at me (and/or Ripley) when we play Tug-O-War with her. Every dog I have ever owned has growled while playing Tug-O-War. I guess they are trying to scare me into giving up. :rolleyes: Ripley will growl back at her when they are playing Tug-O-War and it sounds like they are both ferocious! Come to think of it, I don't think Ripley has ever growled at me, even in playing.

There is a difference between the play growl and the REAL thing. Arthur play growls all the time, and Anna is very vocal. But I know when they're playing, and if I'm dumb enough to stick my hand in the middle of a couple of wrestling rotties I'm asking for trouble! :)

MariaM
07-19-2004, 03:46 PM
I'm going to try working on leave it, but I haven't so far. If he has a blanket, (or mitt, or anything) I just hold on, say Drop It, and he will let go. But the rawhide peace was kind of small and I didn't want my hand to get to close, not knowing if I should or not.

swimma253
07-19-2004, 03:56 PM
Meeka has never growled at me or anyone or anything... (that I know of ) But if Major growled at you for trying to take his bone... Then it is not too serious. He was probably just protecting his toy just lik some dogs are protective of there food. But he most likely can be trained not to do that.:D

dukedogsmom
07-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Duke and I play very rough and he growls viciously. I'm the only one that can play with his rawhide like that. He did show his teeth one time and I scolded him in a stern voice and took away the rawhide. It's fun. I play with him when I get home from work. He greets me with the rawhide in his mouth and then I try and take it away from him.

anna_66
07-19-2004, 04:05 PM
In almost 13 years Angus has growled at me 2x's. Once I was just playing with him and his treat and he growled. Of course I immediately took it from him and gave him a good scolding (in other words I hurt his feelings:o ). And the other time I was trying to fix his blanket under him to cover the floor. Of course I scolded him and made him go outside for a little while.
Since then, he's never growled at me again.

Neither Roxey nor Huney has ever growled at me in a mean way.

If I were you I would definately teach him the "drop it" command.

primabella
07-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Mickey will only growl when we play growl, but never directly AT me. He'll growl at the toys or at my hands.

tatsxxx11
07-19-2004, 04:27 PM
How is Major with food in general? Does he show aggression, growl, give you "that look" if you or another animal approaches his bowl? I worked on this with Star since puppyhood, hand feeding her, then putting my hand in her bowl when she ate, lifting it and taking it away, making her sit then giving it back and so on. I worked hard too on the "leave it" command and if she ever accidentally bit my hand while playing rough, I'd pull my hand away, look upset and say loudly "ouch, NO BITE!" It worked great and to this day, she and Cody can eat together out of the smallest dish and she never will try and take Cody's bone, food etc. I'd try working hard with a rawhide, offering it to him, holding onto it, then taking it away, giving the "leave it" command. Make him sit then offer it again, take it away, and so on. Do it again and again and again. He'll get the idea. And do that with his other toys, his food, etc. He has to know that you can give it and you can take it away, anytime! You might also check out the "Nothing in Life is Free" dog behavior program. I hear people have great results with it! Maybe someone has a link; more info!

Found a link:)

NILF Training Program (http://www.dog-pictures.co.uk/dog-care-articles/nothing-in-life-is-free.shtml)

Aspen and Misty
07-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
Hmm well Major didn't show his teeth, but I have a feeling he might have tried to snap if I DID take the bone away...I probably did the wrong thing, letting him have it, but it was the first time he'd done this (to me, I think he growled at my sister once) and I was so surprised, and a little sad.

What I do with Nova is I give her a Puperonie (dog treat) for her bone. Now she doesn't mind me takign her bones because it means she gets the treat.

Ashley

Kfamr
07-19-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't think Major's growl was good AT ALL. Nor should it have been something he got away with.

Since day 1 with Kiara i've been taking things away from her, sticking my hand in her food bowl while she eats, putting my face in her food bowl, putting my face near hers while she chews her bone, touching her while she chews/eats....etc.

The same with Simba. The same with Nala. I don't let them get away with a single growl over a bone or with food. If they growl at Kiara while they're eating or chewing on something, it gets taken away from them. Growling aggressively is NOT accepted, especially not towards me, and especially especially not over food.

Now, Nala is still in the process of realizing, if I growl over this bone, I don't get the bone. She's done really good with Kiara within the couple days we've had her. A majority of the time, she just lets Kiara walk right up and steal it... she would have NEVER allowed this before.

The way I think of it, is what if it's a child, instead of me reaching for that bone. For one, it'd scare the childs, and the last thing we need is more people afraid of dogs. Another, it may not have been just a growl that time, it could have been a bite. Although, children also should know not to take things away from someone's dog.

I forget who said it, but there's a huge difference between a play growl and a "mean" growl. With my dogs I know the difference in their growls. They do growl while playing, which I'm fine with. But when they get "that tone" with me, it is not accepted.

Nala has never growled at me aggressively. Simba has, back when he had very bad ear problems and wasn't feeling well at all. While I cleaned his ears, he growled. It scared me because he's never gone something like that before. It wasn't accepted then, although I kind of let it slid more than I would now because he was in so much pain.

K9soul
07-19-2004, 04:48 PM
When Tommy was a bit younger one time, I was about to put the dogs to bed and he was curled up by the couch in the living room. I called him to go to bed, and he just laid there looking at me. I went over and reached for his collar and he jerked his head away suddenly and growled, but did not bare his teeth or snap. Then he immediately leaped to his feet and dropped into a play bow, and then ran crazily around the living room a couple times in his hyper playful way before barreling on down the hall and into his bed where he knew was what I wanted. I was puzzled by this, as his behavior did seem somewhat defiant, but then also like he wanted to make a game of it. I since learned it always makes him nervous when someone grabs for his collar, and as I know he had been abused before he came here, I'm guessing he may have been dragged around by the collar as a pup too, I know of a certainty by the time he was 6 months old and the owners were getting rid of him, he lived on the end of a chain.

Anyway, was the growl real? To me it seemed like the same kind of response as a dog who yawns when nervous or uncertain. He jumped into an "I'm playing what a fun game!" mode but then did run off to his bed too. Afterwards, I worked with him more on come, go to bed, stay and so on, focusing on rewarding him when he did what I wanted. He's quite eager to please and loves food and praise reward so it was pretty easy. He loves to find treasures and carry them in his mouth but through time I taught him he got praise and reward when he came to me with things and gave them to me, so now when he finds things, he almost always comes to me and gives it to me rather than going off to hide with it.

I'd agree that working with Major on leave it, drop it, give it, etc. would probably be a good thing and would curb any possessive aggression that might develop. I do feel that when a dog shows defiance it is best not to get angry and disciplinary as this can spark a battle of dominance. Withdrawing attention and goodies and then rewarding them to him when he behaves properly is probably going to get the best results. Good luck. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
07-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Bitsy has never growled at anything. Buster shows his teeth to the cats if he's having mommy time and one of the cats try to hoard in, but he gets scolded. We laugh more then anything because he is missing some teeth (including both k9's), and he looks so funny. Charlie on the other hand hates his nails clipped and will growl when we are clipping them. If he's being bad we use a muzzle. If he's good while we're clipping them then he gets a biscuit, if he's bad he gets the muzzle on (which he hates) and no biscuit. He knows now and usually behaves well.

tatsxxx11
07-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Cody has the same collar issues as Tommy, Jess:( She becomes terrified if anyone suddenly goes to grab her collar without her being aware, even for a benign reason. She flips her head back and mouths your hand. She was abused, as Tommy and I'm sure she relates a collar grab with harsh discipline:(

jazzcat
07-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Disney will growl when you try to take her rawhide bone away from her but only in play. She thinks it is part of playing if you say "I'm gonna get it" she will growl but not snap or bite. Other than that the only other time she has growled is at one of the cats if they bother her in her bed.

K9soul
07-19-2004, 05:01 PM
Sandra that does sound like Tommy. I've tried to work with him on it, associating placing a hand on his collar is nothing to worry about. He hasn't ever shown true aggression but he will still jerk his head and get a fearful look in his eyes. :(

chrissycat21
07-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Snowy has only growled in that mean way twice; when a huge dog tried to attack her and after her first trip the the groomer. (Horrible groomer, we haven't taken her back there since, she had cuts from her that we found later) Other then that she is either barking at people on the street or sleeping.

-Chrissy

heinz57_79
07-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Kay, you and I have very similar views on the whole growling thing. I was the one who said there's a big difference between the play and the mean growl.

Someone said they didn't want a big dog they were afraid of, and the only way you won't be afraid of a dog when they're 100 lbs is if you curb bad behaviour when they're 20 lbs. I know a lot of people who would never get into a rotti's face the way I get into Arthur and Anna's sometimes when they start getting too rough. When they get to be 100+ lbs they'll know without a doubt who's boss.

The only reason I don't say or do anything when Arthur growls at Charlie when he's eating is because if he didn't Charlie would bully him and eat his food. I've rolled Charlie several times for being a bully and stealing the other dogs' food, but my poor baby has a learning disability, and can barely manage basic commands. *sigh* :rolleyes: As long as Bella and myself can stick our hands in his food, in his mouth etc I can't blame him for telling Charlie to back off when he goes to steal his food.

binka_nugget
07-19-2004, 05:43 PM
You got some great tips! Kai has never growled at me. Even in the car ride home, the day we got him, I immediately started working on being alpha. I won't accept it from my dogs. Play growls I don't mind. Any aggressive responses I work on immediately.

Kaedyn did growl at me though. In fact, he attempted to bite me. He was dominant when we got him so I had to work a lot with him. He growled when we asked him to down (he even did it in front of the trainer at obedience classes). He then bit me when I made the mistake of towering over him and asking him to down. But everytime he did it, I made sure he knew it wasn't tolerated. He was immediately put on NILIF and got better within the first 2 weeks. After the 6 weeks of obedience, he was completely different (to the family). He's still fear aggressive so he actually lunges at people but we're working on that. Around the family though, he doesn't give the slightest growl anymore.

sammy101
07-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Kodie only growls at me is when he is playing,otherwise it's a playful growl.he's never been aggressive at all!

MariaM
07-19-2004, 06:19 PM
Ok, thanks everyone, I will try some of the things you've been telling me. I already am on the NILIF thing.

I'm still teaching Major "drop it". He won't sit, have something in his mouth, and drop it. I have to hold on and then say it, but at least he's got that down so far.

I've never seen Major give me "that look". I pet him while he eats sometimes. Another animal hasn't ever approached his bowl while he was eating. I think he'd just eat quicker though. Oh, and before I give him his food, I ALWAYS make him give me his both paws (I'm trying to teach him Sit Pretty...so far not working lol) and then shake, other, and down and sit. Then he gets his food.

I'm pretty sure the growl was real, it sounded pretty mean.

Thanks everyone, from what you've all said, I have some better images in my mind of what to work on/do when it happens, etc.

DogLover9501
07-19-2004, 06:22 PM
I agree, you got some good advice.

Major isn't very old, is he? I think since he is young, this thing can ne nipped right now, and if your consistant, let him know it is NEVER acceptable to growl at you that way, hopefully it will not happen again.

My cousin Jack has 2 pitbulls, the female is about 65 pounds and the male is about 100+, him and his wife Kim are "married with dogs", the dogs are their children, and it would NOT be acceptable for a child to not let you take something, or yell at you, so it's not acceptable for a dog. They still get in the pittie's faces, or they get a lecture and then put into a room or put outside!!

I also like the NILIF idea, I am working on some of those things with Jasper, just so he is more appreciative(sp) and I have more controll.

I picked yes, because it wasn't multiple choice.

Piddle has growled at me, he growls when we play, but he also growls if Im bugging him, but never much.

Wiggles sometimes growls if you disturb her when shes sleeping, I never let her get away with it though, my mom just leaves her along when she growls, which IMO isn't going to help.

Jasper, however, has never growled at anyone, he only growls at his toys sometimes when hes playing. I can take anything from him, I have taken bones, treats, toys, stuffie EYEBALLS..etc..etc..etc out of his mouth, children can take things from him, strangers can take things from him...etc.

Toller 42
07-19-2004, 06:52 PM
none of my dogs have ever growled at me.

dappledoxie
07-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Claire and Rebel both have only growled while playing a tug type game nothing aggressive at all though. I don't tolerate it either, if they ever do growl they will be scolded. I always make sure they know I'm boss, if I want the toy, the toy is mine, if I want their leg, it's mine too.

I've seen alot of stuff in my 7 months at the animal hospital, handling strangers dogs, b/c that's basically what I do, I don't want to get bit, but sometimes I never know.... :( That's what I don't like about my job, actually I hate it, I don't plan to be there much longer. That's one of the best reasons to try out what you think you want to do, you may not like it like you thought you would. I mean, I love the animals but there are those times when I get waaay too stressed and they are enough to get me out of it eventualy. Ok, that turned into a rant..... lol!!! Sorry!

bizdevguy
07-19-2004, 08:17 PM
With Major you might try, while he's still small, picking him up and looking in his eyes, while saying, "NO!" Once the dog looks away, even for a brief second, it means they have submitted to you. This imprints on the dog that you are in control. When they are bigger, much bigger, they still think you are capable of this sort of control, and they will heed you. I understand that tigers are trained in this fashion!

KYS
07-19-2004, 08:31 PM
Sheba has growled a couple of times at me when she
was young.

I hand fed her as a pup and stuck my head in her dog
bowl. (not recomemding that training method)
When Shebs got older and I gave her a special
treat she did growl on two different occasions.
(I did nip it in the bud and that was that.)

Now that she is old, she will give a low warning growl on
rare occassions when she is not feeling well and I want to clip her nails or I help lift her up. I just ignore her because of
her age. But even that is very rare.

Big doofess Rocky to my knowledge has never growled at me.

You got some good advice from others. :D

MariaM
07-19-2004, 09:47 PM
Ok, so I have some questions. After your replies, a took a biscuit and starting training Major "leave it" I got to the point where I could put the biscuit on his paw, and he would just stare there for...about 5-10 seconds. After that he got a little restless, so I tried to reward him before that point. He did pretty good, I think, considering it was his first time.

Then, later I gave him the rawhide peice he growled at before. When I got to close to him, he growled, so I turned him on his back, said NO! and stuck my hand in his mouth. He was holding onto the peice so I just kind of pulled until I got it. I repeated NO! and then went inside.

Then, about 5 minutes ago, I gave him the peice again. He tried running away from me , but I put him on the cable so he couldn't. Then, whenever I got to close, he turned his head really fast so I couldn't get it. Finally, he layed down and started chewing. I took the peice and said "drop it" and he just lied there looking at me. Then I said "shake" and he did, so I gave it back to him. I kept taking it from him, sometimes he was a little reluctant, but he didn't growl during this little thing. Finally I just took it away from him (but gave him a peice of food) and threw it away because it was getting too small.

Haha, ok forgot my questions. Anything to add to what I did? Did I do it right this time?
Is give it the same as drop it?

chocolatepuppy
07-19-2004, 09:51 PM
I think so, I just always used the word give.

heinz57_79
07-19-2004, 10:47 PM
You're on the right track! Sounds like he's getting the idea that when you say drop it, or give it or leave it you MEAN it. That's the main thing. With you taking it away when it growls, he'll start getting the point that if he growls, the chewie goes away. If he's good, he gets it back. Just keep working on him. I wish training my mutts were that easy. LoL I have to coral mine by themselves in order to do anything. :)

Twisterdog
07-20-2004, 12:03 AM
Most of my dog "play growl" a lot, especially when playing tug of war.

But, as for real growling .... well, a couple of them have issues, that's for sure.

Twister has a major fear-aggression problem. The slightest discipline, even just giving her "the look", and she is bearing those teeth. It's been a long road, but she's improving, to some degree. When I first got her, she bit all the way through my hand!

Basil was a terribly dominant dog when I got him. In fact, he was taken to animal control to be euthanized for aggression. He was, though, simply a dominant, unneutered male terrier who had belonged to very quiet, timid people who feared him. NOT a good combination. He growled and snarled and barked at everyone when I got him. It was 95% bluff, but would definately be intimidating to someone who didn't know terriers. He is MUCH better now .. almost like a normal dog. ;)

All of my dog were rescues, with past home ranging from zero discipline to horrible abuse, though ... so they have more issues than your typical family pet. All the nice typical family pets, I found homes for ... I got stuck with the rejects. :)

RobiLee
07-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Neither of my girls have growled at any of us in the family. I have done the same as KayAnn and have always taken their food and bones and gotten my face right down there. both girls learned very early on to "drop it" and "leave it". I highly reccommend teaching this with Major. Best of luck!

I also try to go by the Nothing in life is free program. I can't seem to get that through Alden and Brandon's head though..lol

Amber
07-20-2004, 08:49 AM
I voted Yes

When I was 6 or 7 years old, we had katie, and katie hates to be picked up. Well I was being stupid, picked her up, She growled a large growl, and my result was a nip on my cheek. Never did that again, but she kinda lets me though. But she does growel at everyone when people walk by she thinks were going to take it away or something. Other than that they are play growls.

Elvis, has never growled at me and better not. Ever since we got him, I've been touching his mouth when he chews on bones, putting my hands in his food when he eats. Stuff like that. :)

MariaM
07-20-2004, 08:49 AM
Hey! Be lucky you only have 2 to get through to! My whole family (5 other people) keep doing the opposite of what I tell them, and it is SOOO frustrating! But I'll try those command with Major.

Edit: Amber, didn't see your post. I suppose it is probably too late for me to start putting my hand in Major's bowl...that might not lead to a good thing.

heinz57_79
07-20-2004, 09:11 AM
If you want to, get a rubber glove used for dishwashing n stuff, and stuff it so it takes the form of a human hand. Then attach it to a broom handle or something similar and use that to stick in his dish until he gets used to it. That way you don't have to risk getting nipped and Major gets used to a hand in his food. :)

stacwase
07-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Max is pretty easy-going, contrary to the reputations of shepherds and rotts. But - from day 1 of bringing him home from the shelter I have gotten close to his mouth at every possible opportunity - taking his rawhides, putting my hand in his food while he's eating etc. etc.

I wanted to get him VERY used to people being right in his face while he's eating or chewing. I'd rather have him bite me than a child.

My hand is always in his mouth. I play "got your tongue"! and gently grab his lower jaw etc. etc. so he's always careful what he does with his mouth while people are around. He just needs to know that my hand is allowed wherever I want to put it and that he'd better just get used to it.

Now if I could just get past his nailcutting phobia . . .

sirrahved
07-20-2004, 10:22 AM
We've only heard Muff growl twice. They were both at very aggressive dogs at the park.

Logan
07-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Mine have growled, but never at me, thank goodness!!!! :)

ParNone
07-20-2004, 10:28 AM
Of the 4 the only one that's ever done a serious growl was Murph over a bone. He got very possessive over those after I got Oz, because Oz kept trying to take them from him. So I just went back to training like I did when he was a puppy. Have him "Sit", Give him the bone, Take the bone, "Good Boy", and then Give it right back. Just had to establish again, that I was no threat to his bone. I'd be wary of challenging them over stuff, because they might just call your bluff and decide to take your challenge. Not too big a deal with a 20lb dog, but you're in deep do-do if it's a 100lb dog.

Now, none serious growls, Maddie had a ton of different growly vocalizations to communicate things to me. Everything, from the water bowl's empty, to I need to go potty, to Scratch me right there. But as far as a mean growl, she would have cut out her own tongue before she would have growled at me in that way. Which is amazing considering, she's been the most dominant dog I've had and never hesitated to let Murph or Oz have it and all the torturous health stuff I had to do to her all the time. But I always spoke to her calmly about what I had to do and why and I think she understood, if not the words at least the sentiment behind the actions. I'm a firm believer in earning their respect through passive means, consistency and fairness.

Oz has several growly vocalizations too. He's got one for pet me and one for play with me. And then when he's playing, he's got one that sounds like a wounded Bear growl.

I've only heard Gully growl once and it was directed at Oz. I was holding Gully in the lighted kitchen and Oz came running towards us from the dark living room. A definite fear growl, over the unknown shadow rapidly approaching. As soon as he realized it was Oz, he stopped and started wagging his tail.

Par...

MariaM
07-20-2004, 11:06 AM
heinz: I think he might eat the rubber glove:o But I could try that:p

stawcase, I know what you mean. I don't mind if Major has his teeth over my hand, actually, I WANT him to put his teeth over my hand, even if he presses down a little so I can say NO! and yank my hand away. I just don't want him doing that to anybody else. I cut Major's nails today...he didn't like it, wasn't as good as before, but managed to get most of them trimmed. I cut the quick on one...although I could only see a pinpoint of blood on the nail so it wasn't bad. He never noticed:o

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice!

cloverfdx
07-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Clover i all her nearly 6 years has never growled at me or any other person, i can take food off her and always offer a treat for bones or rawhides.

Elvis on the other hand has growled at me and my Mum, but it only took 2 times of rolling over onto his back and "Telling him off" to stop that. Neither time was over food it was about grooming his tail (He is much better now), he will go to sleep being groomed now. All i have to say to him is "Give" and he will drop what ever is in his mouth. I am so proud. :D

And of course they play growl with me and one another all the time and i am fine with that, but if it turns agressive at all i firmly put a stop to it as i am alpha. ;)

My Peanuts
07-20-2004, 12:12 PM
Sylvia only growled at me when she had a Jumbone. She could be eating a piece of steak and not growl, but the Jumbome is her favorite. Harley growls all the time. He NEVER bites, but sometimes I press my luck. Harley growls when he's sleeping and I get in his face. I like to snuggle with my dogs, but Harley doesn't like it at first. After the initial shock of me cuddling up to him while he's asleep he's fine. The vet said as long as he doesn't snap it's not a big deal. He said sometimes JRT's are very vocal.

ramanth
07-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Kia will growl if I go to take a pig ear or rawhide from her. Dad and I have been working with her, but she's still protective of those two treats. There are times I can get a rawhide from her so she doesn't growl all the time. Her big thing is showing teeth.

I notice collar issues have been brought up. Kia has issues but the shelter, behaviorists, and trainers have said she doesn't act like an abused dog.

However, say she knows she's getting a bath. She'll roll over and show her belly. When I reach for her collar to lead her to the bathroom, she'll show her teeth and often snap. At that point I growl a low no and her tail is between her legs. I tell her "Up." her command to get up and sit. Often she won't. I usually have to hold her mouth with one hand and get her into a standing position via by her collar with the other. Once she's standing, she never growls or snaps. It's only when she's on her back.

She did it last night only she got caught getting into the trash. I moved towards her with a low and stern, "No!" She darted to the living room and was begging Linn for her sandwich. I approached her and she rolled over onto her back. As soon as I reached for her collar to lead her away, she flashed her teeth and snapped at me. Thankfully this time I was faster than her, and got ahold of her collar. I led her to the other side of the room, let go of the collar and said "Down." As soon as she laid down I pet her head and praised her and she happily wagged her tail.

I wish I knew what was going on in that dog's head.

Luvin Labs
02-28-2005, 05:55 PM
what exactly do you mean by "rolling"?

TIA!

Glacier
02-28-2005, 06:07 PM
All the time. I can't think of one of them that hasn't growled at me at some point. Only two of them have ever actually bit me though. Chum growls at me every day practically--every time I tocuh his paws, take his toys away, ect, ect. He growls at the wind!

I'd much rather have a dog that growls and tells me he's not happy than one that bites without warning.

cali
02-28-2005, 06:14 PM
all the time lol I dont feel threatend by it though, exept when it Perky, just because I know that she WILL bite me if I dont back off, the rest can grwl all they want but they wont bite me under any cercumtances, even in fight mode, but I can also call my girls away from fight mode, if perky and Misty are at it I grab Mistys collar and someone grabs perky, as soon as they are off eachother even still in fight mode Misty knows I am alpha and does not dare bit me or even nip me, Happy only snarles at other dogs never at me, and I can always call her out of fight mode, Ripley, I just growl back and he stops lol Blair does not growl at me, he is my wittle baby, and spends most of his times curled up on my lap, pyrsheps just seem to like me lol pyrsheps that hate strangers have been known to crawl in my lap and cuddle with me :confused: dont bother me any lol it was the same with fly, a dog that was returned for biting, she was my buddy lol

GiantSchnauzer
02-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Luvin Labs
what exactly do you mean by "rolling"?

TIA!

Aggresive growling towards anyone is not accepted here. Zoey growled at me once when I dropped my keys next to her dish while she was eating the leftover steak I had given her. She was rolled and the food was taken away.

Rolling is when you make the dog go down into a submissive position.

Buddy Blaze Lover
02-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Nope, Blaze only growls when I play tug-o-war with him...a playful growl.:)

tikeyas_mom
02-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Tikeya has growled at me. when i push her off my bed lol.

she also whines and grunts when i dont pet her belly...

oscar always growls, thats why his nickname is oscar the grouch.

Baby has growled at me when we get her off the couch, it is more a complaint.

Luvin Labs
02-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by GiantSchnauzer
Aggresive growling towards anyone is not accepted here. Zoey growled at me once when I dropped my keys next to her dish while she was eating the leftover steak I had given her. She was rolled and the food was taken away.

Rolling is when you make the dog go down into a submissive position.

Thanks :) I don't like aggressive growling either (whethet its at me, my b/f OR other dogs).

QueenScoopalot
02-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Both Spencer and Greta have done the growling/possessive thing with us in the past, but if you show them you are boss, and don't back down from taking treats away, it makes you leader of the pack...in the dog world, that's the way it should be. ;)

wolf_Q
02-28-2005, 10:04 PM
Has Nebo ever growled at me? Hahaha yeah like pretty much every day of his life.

It's not in a vicious way though, I swear...though it rather looks that way. He's a husky...they are vocal dogs. He "talks" when he's upset. If I hug him or try to snuggle with him, he growls and grunts. If I pick him up at all he makes awful growling noises. He's all talk though, never once have I felt those growls were actually real...he has never snapped at me viciously.

I can take anything away from him or right out of his mouth without the least bit of protest. If he did protest that would be stopped right away. He will growl or bite other dogs over rawhide/treats though if they try to get real close to him. For the most part I just try to keep him separate when he's chewing on something like that. The two times he did snap at a dog over that (poor Smokey) he was in BIG trouble!

PJ's Mom
02-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Peej and Bailey know better than to growl at me. I'm not afraid of them, and test them every so often by taking away a treat, toy or food. They're perfectly fine with it and they only growl when they're playing.

My RB Opus used to growl all the time and eventually attacked my daughter.

Oggyflute
03-01-2005, 12:19 AM
My dogs have never growled at me. Oggy did once when a pup at Carole, and I told her to get up him and growl back louder and harder, act angry etc. Which she did, and Oggy has never done it since. We have always been able to take food from there mouths, and touch them anywhere on there body. You really have to have that in place when a pup, you just never know when you have to put your hand down your dogs mouth.

Samantha Puppy
03-01-2005, 07:42 AM
Never. The only time she's ever snapped or growled is when Kirin (the kitten) has gotten too close to her while she's eating ice cream.

You don't screw around with a girl and her ice cream! ;)

melandchico
03-01-2005, 08:40 AM
No my dog has never growled at me. We tried to avoid any posessive behavoir since we got him at 8 weeks because often they growl at their owners only because they have something they don't want you to have. This doesn't necessarily meen that they will bite or attack you but it's still not something my husband or I would tolerate our dog doing. We don't have children yet but are planning to in the next year or so and we wouldn't take the chance. Since Goliath was a baby we tested him, take away his toy, his bone, his food etc.... Never had a problem. As soon as we reach for it he sits and gives it to us and patiently waits until we give it back. He doesn't even growl at other dogs, the neighbors dog took his bone right out of his mouth and Goliath sat and waited for him to give it back, needless to say I had to go get him another one. It was pretty funny.

cali
03-01-2005, 08:56 AM
It's not in a vicious way though, I swear...though it rather looks that way. He's a husky...they are vocal dogs. He "talks" when he's upset. If I hug him or try to snuggle with him, he growls and grunts. If I pick him up at all he makes awful growling noises. He's all talk though, never once have I felt those growls were actually real...he has never snapped at me viciously.

lol nebo sounds like Shadow, she at her new place she is refered to as the "grumpy bitch" lol if you tease her she crys if you run her belly she growls but its a happy growl, I refere to it as her versian of a "purr" and also growls and grumbles at everything lol Happy talks, but not with gowls, more like mumbles and moans lol if she is bored she lets it be known with a long low moan lol

cyber-sibes
03-01-2005, 09:35 AM
Star and Sherman growl all the time. (And after reading this site, maye it's a husky thing) I can't think of any time Sherman growled at me, but Star has on a couple occasions, when I try to make her stop doing something (like licking a wound) and she does NOT want to be interrupted. While she's never bit me, she has snapped her head around and hit my hand with her teeth a couple times - ouch!
Sherman growls at other dogs and people all the time, sometimes pretty menacingly. I think it may be because of his poor eyesight - he really hates having anyone close to his face.

wolfsoul
03-01-2005, 02:57 PM
Timber has never growled at me in a mean way, but when I am training her and she is getting fed up, but will let out this growl/moan type thing as if to say "I'm tired of this, I need a break."

I had a rottweiler, Zoe, who used to growl at me in a very aggressive way. She scared me. I'm sure that if I were to growl back she would have attacked me. She was very dominant and saw me as a threat. Luckily whenever she would start to growl at me, Leather would attack her. Leather was boss, and Zoe knew it. Leather would have protected me from anything.

jackie
03-01-2005, 03:35 PM
tito has an obesssion with rocks, and if i ever try to pick up one of hos rocks, he growls and tries to lay across the stone so i can reach it. LOL

it doesn't bother me, because it doesn't seem to be aggressive, more his way of saying "leave my rock alone"!