PDA

View Full Version : Blood Feathers?

Dogz
07-19-2004, 02:59 PM
Help. :(

Today, I noticed that Soda was holding up his wing. The tiels are due for another wing clipping, so they have been being naughty and have been flying to their cage.

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/DogzPhoto/bloodfeathers.jpg

Does this mean that he has blood feathers that need to be pulled?

Thanks in advance. :(

*LabLoverKEB*
07-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Our birdie Izzie gets those somethimes....... I really don't know anything about blood feathier. I bet Popcornbird could help you, she's the bird expert!:)

popcornbird
07-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Emma. Are those blood feathers bothering him? Are they bleeding? If they're bleeding, you need to pluck them out immediately.

Maybe you could call a vet for advice. I have never had to deal with blood feathers with my tiels, so I don't know how to advise you.

Tweety_Pie
07-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Dexter (my budgie) just recently had a blood feather. I was to afraid to pluck it, and it only came out today. I probably should have plucked it, because it looked very painful. I know they are very painful for birds, so if you can't get a hold of your vet do some quick research on how you can help Soda. I know it's hard to pluck them because you think you might hurt your bird, but it helps them.

Dogz
07-19-2004, 08:14 PM
His feathers were not bleeding. I think it may have just been an injury.

Soda is no longer holding up his wing, so I can't even see the feathers that I took a picture of.

I am hoping that he is all better now! Thank you for all of the advice everyone.

I really need to find a local avian veternarian. Our local veternarians do not take birds. I have called the only vets we have in town and none of them take birdies! :(

I am going to try some different towns. If something happened to one of my birdies, we would have to have a vet to bring them to!

My Peanuts
07-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Milton HAS a broken blood feather right now. Yes, it can be serious, but his doesn't bleed unless I handle him. I had a person that knows a lot about birds look at him. She would know what action I should take. Anyway, she said it is broken, but she couldn't pull it because it was to deep. She said if it's not dripping in the cage to leave it heal for a while and if it still breaks open, then take him to the vet. I think I might take him to the vet anyway because I hate having to worry about him :)