PDA

View Full Version : Shop Kitties!!

sirrahbed
07-19-2004, 02:26 PM
I always love to frequent businesses that have "shop kitties" - cats that live and "help" run a business! This weekend we visited a landscape nursery that had FIVE shop kitties, all sweet, friendly and welcoming. Here are two of our favorites. This first one was in the office area and her name is Dot. I thought her coloring was just beautiful!! Does anyone know what this would be called? It looks a bit like a tortie or calico - but very, very light - lovely:D
http://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/dot.jpg
This pretty tabby girl is named Gimpy. The owner found her in a field several years ago and her little paws were frostbitten so badly that she limped for awhile! The limp is now gone and she lives there happily now and is just beautiful! Look at those green eyes!
http://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/gimpi.jpg
I love going to shops with kitties. This nursery is called Stutzmans and is in Yellow Springs, Ohio.

heinz57_79
07-19-2004, 02:32 PM
I think Dot is what's called a Torbie, a diluted calico. I could be wrong. What gorgeous kitties! Shop kitties always add a little certain something. :)

Equus217
07-19-2004, 02:34 PM
I too love going places with shop kitties!!! There is a used bookstore here in Columbia SC that has a sweet tabby boy......they charge you 25 cents to pet him!!!! It's then donated to local rescue organizations...great idea huh? Especially when you can't resist a snuggle!:rolleyes:

Equus217
07-19-2004, 02:35 PM
I believe Dot is a dilute calico......

Freckles
07-19-2004, 02:38 PM
Here's (http://67.15.70.205/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34893&highlight=shop+kitty) a thread about the subject with a link to SHOP CATS.

CatDad
07-19-2004, 02:49 PM
What great looking kitties. You should get pictures of the rest.:)

I should get pictures of the kitty at the places I get kitty food in. They have the mellowest cat I have ever seen, I don't think I have ever seen him jump or look startled. His name is blondie and is and orange and white.

In fact, I do not buy kitty food by the case just so I make sure that I go and see him once a week.:D I will see if I can get pictures.

catlover4ever
07-19-2004, 03:04 PM
I went to a sports collectible shop and they had 2 shop kitties to meet and greet all the shoppers. I just loved seeing all these grown men, who are oh so macho....oohing and awwing over the two kitties. Made me smile :) :) :) :)

Laura's Babies
07-19-2004, 03:29 PM
I too, love shop kitties! My vet has a BIG orangie sweetie that has run of the office, inside or out that'll get in your lap and suck on your shirt.. Everybody adores that boy!! Where I have my car inspected also has shop kittes so I do not mind if I have to wait, I just pet the beautiful cats they have.. (Couldn't we all just sit in line all day and not mind if we had a cat to pet??)

jazzcat
07-19-2004, 04:24 PM
What pretty kitties. That diluted calico is gorgeous.

I don't really see shop cats anywhere but pet related places around here. There is a resident cat at my vet, Pretzel, who is a gorgeous Poly Tuxie with major attitude. There is also a resident cat at the kennel/groomers where I take Disney.

kimlovescats
07-19-2004, 05:12 PM
The first one is a dilute tortoiseshell. (dilute tortie) A Torbie is a 'patched tabby' meaning a tabby that also has some of the tortoiseshell patterning mixed in!;) It can all be rather confusing! A calico has the white background! ;)

Tortoiseshell (aka Tortie) mostly black with patches of orange, etc.

Tabby - Striped

Torby - "patched tortoiseshell" - mix of tabby and tortie

Calico - mostly white with patches of other colors ... torties do not have any white!

Dilute - just means sort of washed out looking! ;)

Hope this clears it up! :rolleyes: :D