PDA

View Full Version : EWWW a skunk!

Pam
07-18-2004, 08:40 PM
I'm sitting here with the windows open since it has been quite cool all day. At this moment the most horrible skunk odor is invading the room! Thank God the pupsters aren't outside!!! :eek: Years ago my Rainbow Bridge poodle, Ashley, got sprayed through our picket fence right in the face. She smelled so bad and her eyes were all red. Anyone else have a smelly skunk story? :eek:

K9soul
07-18-2004, 08:59 PM
Yes indeed.

When I was younger and had my RB collie boys, we were about to drive from Missouri where I lived to Tulsa, Oklahoma for a major dog show, which Willie was entered in, but we also took Cody with us whenever we went anywhere. We were leaving very early, while it was still dark outside. Mom took the dogs out front to go potty one more time while I was getting ready to go. They saw a "cat" in the yard and ran up to chase it from the yard. At the time there was a neighbor who had dozens of cats and just let them breed indiscrimently so we always had them wandering in the yard. This time it wasn't a cat though, it was a skunk, and both collies got sprayed, thankfully not in the eyes.

Mom's only thought was to get them back in and away from it and suddenly the house was filled with that sickening smell.

There was nothing we could do, we had to get going, we had paid the entry fees and it was all set. So we headed out with two skunked collies. Several hours later when we got to the showgrounds we bought a skunk odor eliminating shampoo off one of the vendors, took the dogs to the hotel and washed them over and over in the hotel bathtub. Needless to say, it is almost impossible to get that out of the thick coat of a collie but it was a lot better at least than it had been. Mom and I had got the giggles in the hotel room trying to wash two stinking collies, both of whom hated water and baths, the ridiculousness of it all hit home. Then later that night there was a bad storm and like usual Willie jumped into bed with me only this time with a bit of parfum de skunk. ;)

Willie still had the faint odor of skunk, I could still smell it when I leaned down by him, when we took him to the show the next day. Regardless, he won his major. Here he is (with handler), at the front of the line right before the judge made the final decision:

http://www.doordolt.com/jess/WillieandCody/williering.jpg

And in the parking lot after with my Mom:
http://www.doordolt.com/jess/WillieandCody/williemajor.jpg

Still with the faint odor of skunk wafting from him now and then. I can't see those pictures without remembering that whole ordeal.

dukedogsmom
07-18-2004, 09:06 PM
That smell is just horrible. I don't have a story. K9soul, that Collie is gorgeous! Pam, I love your Poodle catching the frisbee. Too cute.

Pam
07-18-2004, 09:07 PM
Wow!!! He is just gorgeous and I am so glad that you continued on with your trip. I can imagine the scene (and the smell) in that bathroom with a smelly pup! (Been there, done that! )LOL!! It sounds like you and your mom have great attitudes! I am glad you were able to laugh at the time, rather than now years after the event. I wonder if the judge smelled anything. Maybe she had a cold! :p Thank you for the story and those beautiful pictures!

prechrswife
07-18-2004, 09:20 PM
When we were living in the country, one day Max and RB Gus wandered a little further than usual from the house. My husband went to get them in the car. (We lived about a third of a mile from the road, and trying to convince two basset hounds who want to follow their noses that it is really better if they come back to the house is not always easy. Thus the car, instead of 2 leashes.) Anyway, my husband loaded the boys in the backseat of the car to come back to the house, and almost immediately realized what had happened. Looking at the reactions of the two dogs, we speculate that Max was saying, "But I just wanna play with the kitty cat!", and that Gus was saying, "I TOLD him that wasn't a kitty cat!" Lots of tomato juice for the dogs and ammonia for the car later, most of the "eau de skunk" was gone. I say most, because every once in awhile, you could still catch a little whiff.

KYS
07-18-2004, 09:52 PM
I don't have any skunk stories to tell.
(thankgoodness) Their smell is pretty potent
when I pass by skunk road kill)
All your skunk stories were wonderful.

Wow! glad Willie won his major with skunk order still
on him. You certainly have good fun memories of that
show.

K9soul
07-18-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the compliments to Willie, he was indeed a beautiful boy with an even more beautiful heart and soul, and dearer to me than any words can express.

It's often those little mishaps that add some spice to life isn't it? I bet I remember that trip so much more fondly for all we went through than if things had just happened the way we expected. All thanks to a skunk :D

swimma253
07-19-2004, 07:58 AM
Last year... there were 6 baby skunks living in our back yard. They had no mother.... so we just fed them far away from the house until animal control came. :D They never sprayed us or anything. (or Meeka) But Meeka does get sprayed allot. And it seems like it NEVER comes out!!!

stacwase
07-19-2004, 08:53 AM
I used to work with this guy. He saw his dog chase the cat downstairs, under the water heater. The cat wouldn't come out and my friend was getting worried, so he got closer and realized it was a skunk!

It took him forever to get the skunk out and it managed to spray him right in the mouth! Yuck!

*LabLoverKEB*
07-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Well, I wasen't home, I was at camp, Sadie got sprayed by a skunk! Yuck!

Thank god you pups were inside at that moment, Pam!;)

anna_66
07-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Pam
Anyone else have a smelly skunk story? :eek:

No, and I'm so glad I don't:p But quite occassionally I'll smell one out back in the field. Hopefully they never peeve off a skunk!!!