PDA

View Full Version : Basie's Asthma is back...

NoahsMommy
07-18-2004, 03:28 PM
On Friday night I came home and found my Basie in the bathroom gasping for breath. :eek: I watched him and he seemed to be better, so I figured I'd take him to work with me on Saturday.

At about 2:30 am he began sneezing (nothing new for him, he's always sneezing with his asthma/allergies), but we could hear the airways when he sneezed. It was really wierd.

He got a few chest xrays on Saturday morning and found a few small "donuts" in his lungs which indicate asthma. My vet gave him an anti-inflammatory injection that'll last 11 days. If after that he's still having his attacks, he'll be getting a kitty inhaler.

Poor baby boy...he hates being away from home so much. He was a good boy, just a bit squirmy during his lung "pictures". ;)

I'll keep you all uppiedated.

P.S. Here's a link to his first asthma problems when he was younger: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19676&highlight=asthma

kimlovescats
07-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Poor Basie .... I hope he doesn't have to get on an inhaler. Glad he is doing a bit better though! Hugs to Basie!;)

Laura's Babies
07-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Poor baby! Hope he gets to feeling so much better real soon.. NOW, how in the world do you get a cat to hold still while you are giving it a inhaler? There has to be a real trick to that.. Poor sweetheart... I hope he don't have to have that!!

rosethecopycat
07-18-2004, 09:32 PM
Come on Basie,

Be a good boy and breathe easy, sweetheart.

Rose

lisalee
07-18-2004, 09:43 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Basie's problems with asthma. Sash was mildly asthmatic for about 2-3 years. He always had sneezing and it developed into sinusitis and then into mild asthma. His only symptoms though were coughing daily and sneezing, never any breathing problems. Sash was given the antibiotic Zeniquin at his last check up in Sept. and he has not coughed or sneezed since. I was very surprised, although I know it could return at anytime though, this is the longest we've gone so far. Sash's x-ray's showed mild inflammation. I hope you can also get Basie's asthma under control soon!

Lisa & Sash

CatDad
07-18-2004, 09:47 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Basie. However, I am glad to hear that he is better.

We are keeping good thoughts for him around here. Please let us know how he is getting along.

sirrahbed
07-18-2004, 10:09 PM
I am sorry to hear about Basie's breathing problems. Sure do hope you can get them under control as I can imagine how much you worry wheh he is not feeling well - plus how frightening it must be to watch when he is having trouble.:(
Glad he seems to be better now:)

catcrazylady
07-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Poor Basie! I hope the shot takes care of it and he doesn't have to have inhaler. It would have scared me to death to hear him wheezing like that!! Poor Baby! Keep us posted and make sure you give kisses from us to that sweety pie!!

shais_mom
07-18-2004, 10:20 PM
poor Basie!!
I hope he feels better asap!

heinz57_79
07-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Ugh... not fun... My gf has HORRIBLE allergies and asthma, so I can only imagine how terrible it is for Basie. Poor guy... :( Hey, i've seen those ads on tv about portable nebulizers and such. ;) Hang in there, Basie and take deep breaths!

slick
07-18-2004, 11:21 PM
Kitty inhaler????:confused: :( I didn't know there was such a thing. Poor Basie. Prayers going out to you sweetie.

jazzcat
07-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Poor Basie.:( I hope he gets better soon and doesn't need the inhaler. I've never heard of that for an animal - the wonders of science!

NoahsMommy
07-19-2004, 12:24 AM
Good news! Basie is doing MUCH better today...not one sneeze yet! :)

He's been sooooo clingy though...kind of cute. :D

Thanks for the well wishes, I'll be sure and pass them on.

jazzcat
07-19-2004, 12:47 AM
That is good news!!

catmandu
07-19-2004, 09:01 AM
We are sorry,to haer that our Partee Pal,Basie,is not well,and we are MMMMEEEOWING For you,to get well,Our Dear Friend Basie! Prayers are on the WAY!

CatMama78
07-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Poor Basie:( :(

I'm glad to hear he is doing better. But it's sad for such a sweet guy to have asthma problems.

catlover4ever
07-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Basie you poor baby. It's good to hear that you are feeling better but I do hope that you continue to feel better.

Cataholic
07-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Sorry to hear that Basie's asthma is acting up. I hope it was just a flare up, and won't be lingering. Give him a kiss from me!

rg_girlca
07-19-2004, 11:57 AM
That's great news that Basie is feeling better and I hope he continues to do so.

ChrisH
07-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Good news. :)
Kisses for Basie.

Laura's Babies
07-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Hay, that have that pill that asthmatics take daily to prevent attacks... Wonder if they have them for cats?? If you can prevent them.........