PDA

View Full Version : Having difficulty...

cocker_luva
07-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Choosing who to ride next sunday.

ive decided to take a break from my baby, Mystic; to better my riding ability by riding a different horse. But im stuck between 2 gorgeous, challeging cuties...

Quigley the Quarter Horse gelding
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid107/pb184eb9724d0ac174421ad93fa58c837/f961a3d0.jpg
or Julie the Appaloosa mare
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid107/p87c69c0d8356b29896484b992ce86a84/f961a2e0.jpg

i didnt have lessons today, because all the horses are at the county fair.

*sorry the pics are terrible, they do the horses no justice, but i couldnt get in the stalls. the lighting in the barn is horrible and it was night time. :rolleyes: :) *

Desert Arabian
07-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Hmm, well, personally I would not try to decide who to ride based on peoples judements on Pet Talk by looking at pictures of the two. There are facts that need to be taken in to consideration. How old are they? What are they like under the saddle? What are their vices? What are their strong points? Watch somebody else ride them and get an idea of what horse is more challenging and what horse is more green. That will truly help your riding experience.

Karen
07-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Yup, I would watch those two being ridden by others, ask each rider you see what each horese's strength and weaknesses are, and match them with the skills you want to develop. As each person is an individual, so is each horse, and we cannot tell anything just by pictures!

countrycowgirl
07-18-2004, 01:59 PM
I agree that you should not choose from pics and all that but in my opinion you can not watch a horse being rode by someone else and know that he is going to act the same under a different rider you can get an idea but you will not know for sure there can be a horse that is totally calm with one person because it trusts them then not with another because everytime a new person gets on a horse they test you..... jmo

Desert Arabian
07-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by countrycowgirl
you can not watch a horse being rode by someone else and know that he is going to act the same under a different rider you can get an idea but you will not know for sure there can be a horse that is totally calm with one person because it trusts them then not with another because everytime a new person gets on a horse they test you..... jmo

I know that, of course the horse is not going to act the same for you as it did another person, but you get an idea as to the horses responses to commands, vices, etc.

cocker_luva
07-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
How old are they?

the staff at the barn usually dont know, they get the horses from many, various people. :)

What are they like under the saddle?

i wouldnt know, thats why i want to try them out. <new experience> :rolleyes: :D

Watch somebody else ride them and get an idea of what horse is more challenging and what horse is more green.

i have, many times. they look less 'challenging' then mystic! :D

**plus i do have years of experience with horses**

Desert Arabian
07-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by cocker_luva
the staff at the barn usually dont know, they get the horses from many, various people. :)

**plus i do have years of experience with horses**

Take a peek at their teeth sometime. ;)

Me too. :)

Desert Arabian
07-18-2004, 07:17 PM
HEY! How long are your lessons? One hour? Maybe you could ask to do 1/2 hour on Quigley and the other 1/2 hour on Julie! That way you get a little taste of both. Then you get an idea what the two are like and maybe stick with the best of the two and do another lesson the best one you chose! :confused: :D

cocker_luva
07-18-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Take a peek at their teeth sometime. ;)

great idea!

cocker_luva
07-25-2004, 07:35 PM
*Bump*

well an update is that earlier today i rode Quigley!! a great QH cross. he is a dream.