PDA

View Full Version : Japanese people at work

slleipnir
07-17-2004, 05:48 PM
This sounds kinda stupid, but we had a Japanese tour in at work (I waitress) and I thought it was really fun LOL. I'm sure some of you know that I'm really interested in Japanese, especially the language and (of course) anime XD I loved hearing them talk even though I couldn't understand what they're were talkng about haha. It sounded just like what I hear from anime.

Anyway. I took a Japanese course in university in January and did pretty good in it (Actually I did really well, I got 99% in it lol XD) so I knew how to say somethings to the people although I could never have a conversation with them (only took the course from Jan-Apr) I was able to say things like 'good morning', 'thank you', 'your welcome' (they seemed pretty happy/shocked that I was able to respond to them when they thanked me. 'Dou itashimashite') also 'I'm sorry' 'coffee' and some other things I said.

I was actually really nervous to say anything at all cause I though I would offend them. They seemed happy that I atleast tried though :)

I was even able to pick up kinda what they were saying. Like, I said 'ohayou gozaimasu' (good morning) and one lady said sometihng I didn't get, but it sounded like she was talking about me saying something in japanese (I caught the nihongo (japanese language) part. Also, one lady came up to me and said 'Mizu' and I'm very glad I knew what it was or else I don't think she'd have gotten her water lol XD

Ok I'll stop, I'm sure no one really cares XD I just thought it was really neat that I got a chance to 'talk' to Japanese people (they couldn't speak ANY engish btw) I'm sure it sounds really stupid though but oh wel.

dukedogsmom
07-17-2004, 07:22 PM
I think that is pretty cool! I'm sure they were properly impressed. I am. I need to learn other languages. I feel so limited just knowing English. I would love to learn Italian and Spanish. I've got some cds for the Spanish and haven't opened them yet. I'm a great procrastinator.

jenfer
07-17-2004, 07:24 PM
haha... usually they are shocked and surprised to see some other people (nationality-wise) speak their language. At least for me I will be shocked if you speak cantonese to me.
Good job in trying though, I know it can get scary. :)

tatsxxx11
07-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Good job, Audrey:) That's neat that you had some tourists to practice your language skills on! I can tell you from experience, they greatly appreciated your efforts and WERE very impressed!!!;)

catnapper
07-17-2004, 09:18 PM
No, thats really neat! I remember one time being out and able to use my limited German from my college course. I felt so excited that I was able to undestand them even slightly.

Tonya
07-17-2004, 11:33 PM
My husband was stationed in Okinawa, Japan. He almost married a Japanese girl, they lived together for 5 years. Anyways, I've became good phone/internet friends with her as well of some of Mike's other Japanese friends. I love their culture. They are really neat people. We're possibly going back to Japan to be at Ginko's (Mike's Ex) wedding. She hasn't set a date yet, so we don't know when.

Sirrahsim
07-18-2004, 08:09 AM
that sounds like it would be a fun experience:) I live here in Japan and it is always interesting going off base. I work here on base and most of my coworkers are LN (local national). They all speak a little english, but some less than others. I pick up so much just from being around them. There is an older Japanese guy who works here who always comes up to me at the cash cage and says "Herro Young Rady:)" I'm not making fun of him!! he's so nice. Every week he changes his american tip money in for yen and he always expects me to count out his money to him in Japanese. I'm getting pretty good with the numbers since we have a lot of Japanese people who change in yen for dollars or dollars for yen. One phrase I learned really quickly was "Chowta Mawtte kudasai" (phonetic spelling) we have Japanese people who call the club rather regularly who don't speak a word of English, so i learned that that phrase meant "One moment, please." Anyway, I don't mean to highjack your thread, I just wanted to share a little bit about my experience living over here in Japan