PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning?

Kfamr
07-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Does anyone else like to have the AC really low?
I like it around 65-70.... My mom on the otherhand likes it 75-80 and it's absoliutely miserable.

I swear, when my mom leaves to work in the morning she turns the AC up. I wake up in a sweat because I go to bed with it very low, with a big comforter wrapped around me and two dogs on my bed... it's comfortable that way... Especially here in FL where it's horridly humid and hot.

Sorry, I know, useless post, but I just had to post about it since I just bumped the air.:p

tatsxxx11
07-17-2004, 02:15 PM
I love it cold!!! Drives my family nuts that I sleep with the AC on so "low" and cover myself up with blankets!:D

molucass
07-17-2004, 03:31 PM
I turn the upstairs air conditioner down on 70 every night before I go to bed because its naturally hot in my room, and my dad ALWAYS comes up there and turns it up to like 85... so I wake up in sweat too!

I don't know why he turns it up, when the upstairs has nothing to do with how cold it is downstairs..

lisalee
07-17-2004, 03:36 PM
I keep mine at 75 during the day, at night time for sleeping I like it a little lower, about 70-72. I just like to be comfortable, not too cold. I always keep a fan on to circulate air too.

Lisa & Sash

slleipnir
07-17-2004, 05:37 PM
Around 70 is good for me.

Karen
07-17-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by molucass
I turn the upstairs air conditioner down on 70 every night before I go to bed because its naturally hot in my room, and my dad ALWAYS comes up there and turns it up to like 85... so I wake up in sweat too!

I don't know why he turns it up, when the upstairs has nothing to do with how cold it is downstairs..

Unless the two areas have some sort of barrier, one does affect the other - heat rises, but cold sinks!

We rarely plug in or turn on the AC - Paul likes hot weather. Also, unless we have a prolonged heatwave, the house can stay pretty cool because of the trees around it and the hill behind it.

Cookiebaker
07-17-2004, 06:25 PM
We haven't even put in the ac's this year! This is a first, but it just has not been hot enough to justify it. We have had a couple of warm days, but it cools down at night again, so it's not necessary.

Logan
07-17-2004, 06:47 PM
Kay, mine stays on about 72-74 all the time. I can't stand to be hot! :D

dukedogsmom
07-17-2004, 07:24 PM
Neither can I! Got to have the air going. We keep ours on 72 all the time. I think it's one of the greatest inventions ever. How my mom stood it when she was growing up is beyond me.

MariaM
07-17-2004, 09:02 PM
We don't have air conditioning, so our house is terribly hot. In the summer I have to sleep in the basement because it gets way too hot in my room upstairs.

popcornbird
07-17-2004, 09:10 PM
We usually keep our air conditioning on somewhere between 70-75 degrees, when its on. Our house happens to be *very* airy though, so we don't exactly need to use the A/C all the time.

catnapper
07-17-2004, 09:13 PM
We have our AC set at 70 this summer, but its usually set at 65 - this summer's been rather mild. BUT we also moved the bed so that our heads are up to the AC unit - the AC unit is more or less ur headboard right now! :p I can't tell you how WONDERFUL that is! I sleep with a heavy comfortoer and a light coverlet too. Yummm, what perfect sleeping weather!

Uabassoon
07-17-2004, 09:18 PM
I love it really cold. I don't really have a thermostat to set it at, I have those wall unit A/C. like the ones in hotel. So I usually just crank them on high and it makes my apt. super cold. I have a themometer on my alarm and usually my room is anywhere from 65 or 70.

Cincy'sMom
07-17-2004, 09:45 PM
At home our air is set bewtween 70 and 72. We'd like to keep it cooler, but it does cost money...When we are in Florida on vacation, we crank it to high and leav eit that way all week. People not in our room bring sweatshirts, to Florida, in July to visit our room...I always back my flannel pants and a sweatshirt and we enjoy our icebox!

Tonya
07-18-2004, 12:29 AM
73 degrees in the day, 74-75 at night when I am not working.

When I am working, I'm in the heat all day, so the cold house bothers me. It stays at around 84 during those times.

CamCamPup33
07-18-2004, 01:11 AM
I like it cold.. That way i can snuggle up with my pillows/blanket's..

My dad love's it cold, just about everyone does, and if they don't they can always just close the vent's. But i have mine open all the time, sometimes *WAITING* for the air conditioner to come on.. :p

Kfamr
07-18-2004, 01:17 AM
I'm lucky, because when the AC is actually on a decent temp, it's 10 x's colder in my room because the cold air goes to my room first, then to all of the other rooms. It's also very shaded from the palm tree in front of my window, and the fact that the sun only shines directly in my window in the morning.

anna_66
07-18-2004, 07:54 AM
I like it cold at night (I love the feel of lots of blankets on me), but warmer during the day so I don't freeze in my shorts:o

Rachel
07-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
At home our air is set bewtween 70 and 72. We'd like to keep it cooler, but it does cost money

Holy smokers! I was waiting for someone to bring up the cost factor. Seventy-eight (78) is the minimum here, strictly because I shudder from the expense of it. I hate to turn it on the first time in the summer on the assumption that I grew up without ac., but all it takes is one hot day to make me cave in. This summer we have been fortunate. I have probably only used it 3 days total.

BitsyNaceyDog
07-18-2004, 06:03 PM
I lived in New York until I was 13 and the only a/c I knew was in a store. We didn't have it in the house (neither did any one I knew), we didn't even have it in our cars. We got 1 car with a/c just before we moved down here, and we got a 2nd car with a/c shortly after we came down.

Anyway, now Justin tends to control the temperature, I rarely touch it. Right now it's set at 74.

cocker_luva
07-18-2004, 06:38 PM
i like mine alittle in between. i like it cool, but not cold enough so that you need a sweater. :rolleyes: but i want to be able to feel the presence of the A/C. :rolleyes: tee hee hee. :D

popcornbird
07-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
Holy smokers! I was waiting for someone to bring up the cost factor. Seventy-eight (78) is the minimum here, strictly because I shudder from the expense of it. I hate to turn it on the first time in the summer on the assumption that I grew up without ac., but all it takes is one hot day to make me cave in. This summer we have been fortunate. I have probably only used it 3 days total.

If we kept our's at 78, it would never even turn on. :o It doesn't hit 78 degrees in our house even if the temperature outside is over 100.

boscibo
07-18-2004, 07:00 PM
Ours is at 74°. I sleep with a fan on year-round, too. I have a hard time falling asleep without that constant noise. If a storm comes and our power goes out, I wake up because the fan stops.

The a/c in my car isn't working right now, and I can't bring it in until my summer class is over. Black leather, hot, ugh.

CatDad
07-18-2004, 07:22 PM
I am jelous we don't have air in our house. I keep threating to get it though. :) I am with Kay 65 or so and I am happy, of course I happen to like it cooler then most people.

Of course, there is alway the cost to consider, but if I can afford it it will be cool.

Kfamr
07-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by boscibo
Ours is at 74°. I sleep with a fan on year-round, too. I have a hard time falling asleep without that constant noise. If a storm comes and our power goes out, I wake up because the fan stops.

I'm the same way! I HAVE to have my ceiling fan on for the noise. :p I'm just so used to falling asleep with it, it feels weird without it on.

Pam
07-18-2004, 08:34 PM
I can't stand to be cold! I would need to wear a coat in some of your homes! LOL! :D We generally run it about 75-78 during the day and when hubby comes home it runs at about 70. Then at bedtime it goes to about 75 again. This is all accomplished through a programmable thermostat.

teenster3
07-18-2004, 09:10 PM
I usually keep mine at 70.
I'm such a big wimp when it comes to the weather.
I don't like it when it's too hot or too cold outside. I have asthma too, so lately it's been kinda rough.
We do sleep with a fan on though. Sometimes I get cold & get up and put it on my husband but, usually it's nice to keep on.

Lillycat
07-20-2004, 08:29 AM
i am not into giving the utility co. any more money than necessary....i think this has been a good summer, as the a/c has only been on once or twice....way to go.....hope it stays that way!!!

Logan
07-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Those of you who aren't running your AC, do you keep your windows open instead? I think I would feel so stuffy with no AC and no open windows? Before I worked at home, I didn't run my AC until June at times, because the evenings are pretty cool, but it is so very humid down here and I am so very hot natured, I don't think I could stand it without it! Our summer temperatures range from 85 degrees up to the mid 90's, usually, and the humidity is pretty much always high. Today is a "low humidity" day and it is 58% right now and 79 degrees, but it will heat up and "steam up" later.

I completely understand the comments about the cost. It is crippling at times. My average utility bill in the summer (for electricity only) is about $160/mth (provided the children's bedrooms are shut off). The gas bill runs around $25 to heat water and using the stove. If I weren't here all day, I'd be cranking up that thermostat during the day. We actually have two units and since the children aren't here, most of the time, in the summer, the upstairs thermostat pushed as high as it will go and the 3 bedroom doors and the bathroom door are closed and it doesn't run, which helps.

Just curious about what you're doing if you're NOT running your AC.

catmandu
07-20-2004, 10:28 AM
I keep,it at 75,as Hydro,is getting so expensive! And The Found Cats hate FREON SMELL!

Rachel
07-21-2004, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Logan
Those of you who aren't running your AC, do you keep your windows open instead? I think I would feel so stuffy with no AC and no open windows?

It really depends. If it cools off at night, we would open our windows to let in the fresh air then, and then close the house up again in the morning before it starts to heat up outside. We also have a *whole house fan* which once the temperature drops out side, will bring in the cool air very quickly.

On those occasions when the heat continues through the night, we would not do that and do use the AC. If we didn't have AC at all, and had a continued hot spell where it doesn't cool off during the night, I would definitely keep the windows open.

Actually for your keeping your ac on regularly, I would have expected your utility bill to be quite a bit higher than what you indicated.

Pam
07-21-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Logan
My average utility bill in the summer (for electricity only) is about $160/mth

Logan I am heading to South Carolina!! Our bill last month, just for electric, was $242 and we haven't even gotten into the real hot stuff! Our bill tends to be higher than our neighbors' and the only thing that we have differently is 3 computers constantly running and 2 large fish tanks. :confused:

Kfamr
07-21-2004, 07:44 AM
You guys try living in Florida with no AC! :p

sirrahbed
07-21-2004, 07:53 AM
whew! I am with Rachel and glad *somebody* mentioned co$t as that is what was on my mind! I hate heat and love cool but I also pay the bills and see those numbers!! We have a thermostat war here all the time. I walk by about set it to 74. Hubby walks by and sets it down to 70. Back and forth! This month the electric only was $200. Next two months will be well over that!
Oh well:rolleyes: I guess I should just give up and enjoy the cool!

In the winter, we rarely even run the heat - just use the buckstove and then the blowers on the fan to circulate that good heat:)

Logan
07-21-2004, 08:18 AM
I will say one thing about my power bill. If I were having to use the upstairs unit, constantly, my bill would be double what it is, probably. I have been pleasantly surprised this summer that our bills have been as low as they are, but I know it is because when the children aren't here, I'm not cooling those 3 upstairs bedrooms. It makes a huge difference. :) All that changes, starting Sunday, when Helen will be back home for an indefinite period of time. It will be SO worth it, though, to have her back here!!!! :D

Kfamr
07-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed

In the winter, we rarely even run the heat - just use the buckstove and then the blowers on the fan to circulate that good heat:)

Now that's something I don't like. Using the heat. It makes the house so digustingly hot and muggy.

I usually open my window for some fresh air if my parents turn the heat on.

The thing is, it's usually not as warm in the rest of the house as it is in my room. The cold air and the hot air go to my room FIRST. So I get the coldest air, and I get the warmest. So not only is it disgudtingly hot throughout the whole house, it's burning in mine!

FizzGiggs_Mommy
07-21-2004, 09:29 AM
My A/C is set a 66 the lowest it will go. Some mornings I have to wear a sweatshirt because it is so cold in the house.

Toby's Mommy
07-21-2004, 09:59 AM
I like it at about 73. We just got it fixed yesterday so 73 is heaven it used to be 85 in the house and like 83 outside! I asked my mom yesterday why we don't have it on 65 and she said it is so hot out that you can have a heartattack from going from so cold to hot in a short time.:rolleyes:

sirrahbed
07-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Now that's something I don't like. Using the heat. It makes the house so digustingly hot and muggy.

I am with you here Kay! Fake heat feels terrible - though I find it very dry and get nosebleeds!! I would much rather bundle up and breathe the cold air - makes you sleep so much better!:D The buckstove just knocks the edge off of the really frosty days in the center of the house while the bedrooms remain cold. I love it that way. Saves $$ too! Well, wood fuel is not cheap but we usually scrounge it in the spring when folks are topping and thinning trees and age it ourselves.

Samantha Puppy
07-21-2004, 01:37 PM
I prefer our AC to be between 72 - 78, depending on the type of day it is outside. Eventually, I think my husband would like to get a "smart" thermostat that you can program, like to turn the AC to 78 when you're gone at work to save money but that you can program to go down to 73 at 4:30pm so it's nice and cool when you get home.

Kfamr
07-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Fake heat feels terrible - though I find it very dry and get nosebleeds!!

Same here! My nose gets all screwy when the heat is on.

popcornbird
07-21-2004, 02:03 PM
Logan, when our A/C is off, we normally have all the windows open. It would get too stuffy in the house if everything was closed. Of course, opening the windows would only make the house hotter if its a hot day, but when its too hot to open the windows, we always have the A/C running.

During the winter, everyone in the family keeps changing the heater settings. :p We all hate how the heater makes the house so dry, but it gets way too cold when its off too. We usually resort to wearing warm clothing, and having the coldest house in the city. :o

Kona & Oreo's mom
07-21-2004, 02:14 PM
When I get home in the afternoon and evening, I set the AC on to 78, which feels very cool compared to the outside temp. At night, it's cool enough just to use a fan (no AC).