PDA

View Full Version : The Miracle of Death

QueenScoopalot
07-17-2004, 10:20 AM
This is worth reading, and printing out for all those who don't spay/neuter their pets.

http://news.statesmanjournal.com/article.cfm?i=83631

Pets pay ultimate price for irresponsible owners

ANDREA J. WRIGHT / Statesman Journal

Montana is among almost 200 cats that are waiting for homes at the Humane Society of the Willamette Valley in Salem.

Not enough are adopted, and too many are euthanized

Statesman Journal
July 16, 2004

Five tiny kittens — Montana, Dakota, Nevada, Alaska and Utah — are mugging for all they’re worth. They’d better.

The gray, white and ginger littermates are five of 195 felines at the Humane Society of the Willamette Valley this day. All around them, dozens of equally cute kittens are mewing, pouncing or batting paws through cage bars.

The lucky ones will catch someone’s eye and get adopted. The rest will grow older in captivity, looking less cute and more resigned by the week.

More than 8,000 cats and kittens come in through the door each year, most of them during the summer months. About one in four find homes.

The owners of the gray and ginger litter at least had a decent excuse. They were transferred by the military and couldn’t take the kittens along.

But typically, people drive up with boxfuls of kittens because they wanted their children to witness the miracle of birth. Or they didn’t realize that kittens would become sexually active so soon. Or they meant to have them spayed, but time just got away — and on and on.

The humane society staff has heard all of the excuses. They try not to be judgmental. But the rest of us are left to wonder: How can people be so irresponsible?

Funny how no one ever wants their children to witness the miracle of euthanasia. That is what happens to three cats out of four to make room for more kittens and cats.

Humane society staffers and volunteers try to stem the tide by counseling would-be adopters, to make sure they understand the commitment they’re making.

They run a day camp that teaches children to be responsible pet owners.

They sell low-cost spay/neuter certificates to people on public assistance, and they require that all animals be spayed or neutered after their adoption.

But all of that amounts to little more than a finger in the dike.

Kittens leave the humane society in ones and twos. They arrive in boxfuls. As many as 100 kittens per day. All summer long.

What will it take to get humans to change this?

sirrahbed
07-17-2004, 10:32 AM
Good article Jan. Would be such a great thing to have such a program in the public school system!!

moosmom
07-17-2004, 11:21 AM
What will it take to get humans to change this?

A freaking miracle or an act of God.

Jan,

Too bad we didn't have more of these programs as part of a school's cirriculum. Maybe then there'd be less (I wouldn't say NONE) animal abuse, etc.

kuhio98
07-17-2004, 11:34 AM
Funny how no one ever wants their children to witness the miracle of euthanasia.

I'm going to remember and use that line. It was a real eye opener to me. How about teaching kids about the miracle of being a responsible pet owner and getting them spayed/neutered and vaccinated?

thelmalu99
07-17-2004, 11:34 AM
Terrific article.

My mom down in Brazil has a neighbor who recently adopted a puppy for her little 8 year old girl. (This is about a dog, but I'm posting it here, because it is a related issue) The puppy came from a friend who decided not to have her dog spayed, and was desperately seeking homes for the puppies.

It's amazing how many pet owners down there don't think about spaying/neutering their pets. My mom has lots of friends with dogs and cats, and she works hard to explain to them how important an issue this is, even giving them information about low-cost neutering at clinics (as we all know, vets charge an arm and a leg, and in Brazil it's no different).

The little girl doesn't want her dog spayed, because "she will have such cute little babies". Mom and the child's mother have tried to explain, but the child is not convinced. She wants the dog to have puppies, even though they can't possibly keep them. Fortunately, my mother has convinced the woman to have it done anyway, and then just keep explaining further to the child until she gets it.

I have suggested that perhaps they should take the child to a shelter and be brutally honest with her, explaining that most of these beautiful animals will never find a home, and will eventually be euthanized. Maybe actually seeing these animals in cages, waiting for a home, will convince her.

In any case, I'm sure that with a little more time, the girl will understand. It's just difficult when all of the girl's little friends at school are like, "oh, if she has puppies, I'll take one!!", and the child does not realize that this is very easy to say, but when the puppies are born, the parents may not agree, even if they do, they may change their minds, and sometimes people just aren't ready for a pet and don't realize the commitment they are making, and end up either returning the animal, or worse, passing it on to someone else or dropping it off at a shelter. The cycle continues.

I agree that more should be done to educate the public, especially children, about the importance of this issue. Anytime someone we know considers adopting a pet, mom and I immediately talk to them about being responsible and spaying/neutering their pets. I'm glad to say that it really does work, and mom has convinced many of her friends to resist the impulse to "just let them have one litter, just one".

QueenScoopalot
07-17-2004, 02:09 PM
I think a big prt of the irresponsibility lies with the parents who cater to childrens whims like that! I agree also that some programs should be implemented in schools, but though the kids may listen, others have been brought up in homes where parents don't take pets in for spay/neutering. What sort of lesson is that for children? :mad: And then when the house becomes overrun with pets, they throw them outside. I've picked up plenty of abandoned cats and kittens. I've found them dumped in boxes, and dumpsters. Grrr!

animallover04
07-17-2004, 06:48 PM
Hi,

I'm doing my part. While I am out of town for the Labor day holiday, my vet will house them for me and will spay/neuter them while they are there. I will pick them up on Sept 7, the day they are getting fixed.

Laura's Babies
07-17-2004, 08:27 PM
THANK YOU for this article... I have been looking for something just like this!! I am taking it to the shelter I work at to post there for people to read... Maybe we can get them circulated in Petco and Pet Smart?? Worth a try!!

QueenScoopalot
07-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by animallover04
Hi,

I'm doing my part. While I am out of town for the Labor day holiday, my vet will house them for me and will spay/neuter them while they are there. I will pick them up on Sept 7, the day they are getting fixed. I'm glad to hear that! Spread the word too....too many animals suffer from the 'crime of being born'.;) :(

catmandu
07-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Jack Webb,the Creator , of Dragnet,once said that the Biggest problem,in Society,is that people,want thier Rights,but not thr Responsibilities,that went with them. People want Pets,as they had good memories,of the Pets,that they had as children,but when they actaully have to do,the responsible part,like spaying,and neutering,or getting shots,then that is a different story,as there is alwys some Game,or indulgence,that they would rather get,for themselves! BAAAH!