PDA

View Full Version : I Just Got Robbed

lizbud
07-16-2004, 08:20 PM
My house was broken into when I was at work today.:eek:

The police just left after taking a report & dusting for prints.
They took my new computer, cd player and some cash & blank
checks. I am still shaking guys. :( Smokey was put into the basement & one of my kitties was outside in the back yard.
Thank God he didn't wander away. :(

I borrowed a gun from a neighbor & I'll get a new back door
tomorrow. (and another German Shepherd) :mad: :mad:

They never would have tried it if my Buddy was here.
I don't know why I'm telling you guys, but maybe i just feel
more connected or something. Please pray they don't come back.
The police said they didn't thimk they would.

Liz & a very scared furgang.

micki76
07-16-2004, 08:23 PM
OMG. I'm so glad everyone's ok. They won't come back, they've already got your valuables. I know you won't sleep a wink tonight, though.

That's horrible, but thank God they didn't hurt your babies!

catnapper
07-16-2004, 08:26 PM
OMG!!! How terrible! What can you do about the stolen check book? You obviously can't cancel every check in the book!!!

I'd be shaken up too. But think about it this way: you weren't home. Nobody was hurt or lost, everyone is ok.

{{{{HUGS}}}}}

sirrahbed
07-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Oh Liz I am so sorry:( That must be such a scary thing to happen!!! I don't know what else to say!!!
Do you know how to use the gun???? We keep guns also but you have to know how to use them or they can so easily to used against you. It will surely help you feel safer though!!!
Will the police patrol extra around your house if you ask them? I feel that the police are probably exactly right about the robber NOT coming back as that would be very stupid - but I imagine you feel very violated knowing someone has been in your house and again - I am so sorry to hear that this happened. I hope you have a good night and can sleep OK!
Blessings to you!

heinz57_79
07-16-2004, 08:41 PM
Wow.... I'd be freaked out beyond all belief! I'm just glad your babies weren't hurt, that would be my biggest fear. The way I figure it all they took was replaceable, the REAL valuables were safe! :) I hope it doesn't happen again. Make sure you find a good channel on tv tonite, you'll need entertainment! ;)

zippy-kat
07-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Oh my gosh!
I'm sooooo glad that you and your furbabes are unharmed. How scary! I can't even begin to imagine. :(

Liz, please let me know if you need anything. I'm far away but I'll do all that I can.

Positive thoughts and prayers comin' at ya!
{{hugs}}

dappledoxie
07-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Oh how awful but thank goodness the furkids are ok, that's one of my biggest fears at this apartment. Getting broken into and Claire/Rebel getting out, they'd probably get killed in this town with the traffic, oh gosh, I hate to even think of it!

anna_66
07-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Oh my goodness Liz, I would still be very shaken up too:eek:

I'm so glad you didn't happen to come home when they were there and I'm glad that everyone is ok.

If you need anything please don't hesitate to ask.
Anna

Nomilynn
07-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Liz,

I'm so sorry that this happened - what huge violation! You will be in my prayers. I thank God you and your babies are safe!

Best Wishes,
Naomi, Tilly and Nutmeg

Kfamr
07-16-2004, 09:25 PM
Oh my gosh Liz...

I'd be so terribly frightened. Want me to send Simba over? I'm not sure much would get through the door with Him.

{HUGS} to you.. I'm glad you and the furkids are unharmed.

teenster3
07-16-2004, 09:36 PM
Geez, I'm so sorry to hear that! Do they have any leads or do you know anyone that may have done this???
How terrible you must feel but, like everyone else said.....thank god they didn't do anything to your precious pets!

primabella
07-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Oh my gosh, how scary Liz! :( I hope and pray that they don't return. Thank God your babies weren't hurt. Try and relax tonight.

popcornbird
07-17-2004, 12:01 AM
Oh my gosh! :( How scary! I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now. I really hope the police can find the robbers and recover your lost things, as well as punish them for their crime. Thank God your pets are safe!

gini
07-17-2004, 12:23 AM
Liz, I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I know firsthand, the huge feeling of violation. It just leaves you shaking and suspicious of every sound.

Please come here often and tell us how you are doing and share your feelings.

Yes, thank God the babies were not harmed in any way. Of course, you lost material things, but we work hard to acquire these items and having someone come into your home and steal them makes you so angry.

Again, I am so sorry that you have experienced this horrible invasion of your privacy and your loss.

slick
07-17-2004, 12:24 AM
Lizbud: I can't imagine how violated you must feel right now and if it were me I wouldn't sleep a wink all night. Material possessions can always be replaced; thank God your furkids are OK. Prayers going out to you tonight.

binka_nugget
07-17-2004, 12:28 AM
:eek: I'm glad everyone is safe!

A friend of mine had his house broken into today too! They took a lot of their stuff. He wasn't terribly mad because material possessions can always be replaced. But he was furious when he realized that the thief had probably kicked one of his dogs.

:( I hope they get what they deserve.

aly
07-17-2004, 03:00 AM
Thank God that you and the furgang are safe. How scary that a kitty got out, but I'm glad he stayed close to home.

What a nightmare to come home to, especially for a pet lover with beloved pets in the house!!

Don't worry about them coming back. I am sure they won't. Most robbers try very hard only to get houses when people aren't home. And once they have the loot, they won't come back. I know how scary it is though. Stay strong.

Randi
07-17-2004, 03:35 AM
Oh Liz, how terrible! :( I hope the police will get them! It's awful that they have taken some of your valuables, but I'm glad to hear you or your furbabies wasn't hurt.

I hope your insurance will cover, and that you have closed your check account for now.

Like others have said, I don't think they'll be stupid enough to come back.

Be safe! :)

Barbara
07-17-2004, 03:51 AM
Liz, how horrible! I can understand how you feel. One day in Spain, someone tried to grab my purse from a motorbike. He didn't succeed but I felt horrible for days. And this is much worse.

On the other hand : This looks like professional work. They took all things they could get money out easily and didn't destroy anything or harm the furries. Therefore I am sure they won't come back.

All the best for you and your furkids:)

RobiLee
07-17-2004, 04:10 AM
Oh, Liz, this is just awful! I just feel so bad for you. I'm so glad you and the furkids are ok. Argh!!!!! This just makes me so mad. Please be safe and take care. We are here for you!

Robin

Miss Meow
07-17-2004, 04:10 AM
Liz, I'm so sorry to hear this.

Thank goodness you and your furkids are safe. I believe in karma and hope like hell that something bad happens to the burglar :(

Logan
07-17-2004, 08:50 AM
I'm so glad you're ok and the furkids too. What a horrible thing to have happen, Liz.

How are you today? Were you able to sleep at all?

Logan

Tonya
07-17-2004, 09:09 AM
I am so sorry to hear that. That is such a horrible violating feeling. Our house was broken into when I was a little girl and we were home at the time. I had nightmares for years. And for a long time, every little sound would wake me up.

Be greatful that you were not home. You may have been hurt if you were. I am sure that they will not come back there. The police have already been there, so they won't want to.

I know it will take a while to get over something like this. Try your hardest not to worry to much. ((((hugs))))

I have a silly story regarding this...I hope it'll make you smile. My dad used to commute. He'd leave at 4am. This person must have saw him leave and broke in around 4:30am. So, after the incident, my dad bought the gun and taught my mom and I how to use it. It was to be kept loaded in the file cabinet. Well, I was really really paranoid for a while. And one morning, I heard some noise at the door. I grabbed the gun and ran to the door. The door knob was shaking and the door was rattling. I flew the door open and fired the gun chest level. But no one was there. My cat Smurf looked up at me, gave me a dirty look and said "MEOW!" It was Smurf trying to get into the house. My parents hid the gun from me after that. hehe.

Karen
07-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Regarding borrowing a gun for safety:

Not a good idea, unless you are trained to use it and confident. I grew up with guns, can list what guns were where in the house. But the standing rule was this: If you think there's a burgular in the house, grab the 45-70 from the gun rack over the stairs. (Rifle from Spanish-American war, big, heavy, and long.) Hold it by the barrel, swing and hit the burgular over the head with it. It WILL knock him or her unconcious. THEN call for help.

Why were these the instructions?

My grandfather was Police Chief. My dad, small arms repair in the military.

Every decent human being invariably points the gun at the person and says "Stop, or I'll shoot." A criminal will use that moment, that warning, to shoot you, or do other grevious physical harm to you - they're already there illegally, and have little to lose.

Now that's over, I am glad you and your pets are okay. It'll be a while before you feel safe in your own home again, that sense of violation is dreadful, but I am glad you, Smokey and kitties are okay, and have each other.

moosmom
07-17-2004, 09:33 AM
OMG Liz, I am SO sorry for what they did. I know this isn't much comfort, but be thankful you weren't home and no one was hurt or killed (human or otherwise). All the stuff that was taken CAN be replace. You can't!!

As far as the gun is concerned, please be careful. I know it's your neighbor's gun (and I hope it's registered), but if (God forbid) anyone should try it again and the gun is used, there could be problems. Best thing to do is get your OWN gun, take lessons (it's required) get it registered in your name. This way you're covered. This is advice coming from me, a former cop.

If there is anything I can do, please let me know. I'm only in Michigan and can drive to where you are.

Take care of yourself and your furkids.

((((hugs)))))
Donna

ChrisH
07-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Oh, Liz, that is terrible. I don't know how I'd do in that situation. Thank God no harm came to you, Smokey, or the kitties. How are you feeling today? Big, big, hugs to you girl.

Chris

lizbud
07-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Well, I didn't sleep much at all last night, & I'm stil shaking.

The lock/door people are coming over this afternoon. I'll
probably have to get a custom made door & it could talk some
time.:( but the door will be secured today. I have a neighbor to
watch the house while I go out to get some thing later.

I feel rotten. I can barely touch anything to put things away
again.:( It feels like someone is still here. I hate this feeling.

Smokey and kitties slept like rocks last night, big help they
are.:rolleyes: I'll try to check in later tonight, but this old dial
up computer is a real pain to use. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

The gun is a huge 45 & I can barely lift the thing, but it'll do
until I get another. Bye for now. Liz & big stong protector
Smokey.:D

sirrahbed
07-17-2004, 11:35 AM
Glad the night has passed for you Liz. My biggest worry (and it stole some of MY sleep) is the gun. Statisically (so I have heard)- guns in homes are more often used against the homeowner! This is because the homeowner does not know how to use it and is not trained. How about getting a baseball bat instead?? I also like what Karen suggested about the heavy rifle - we have lots of black powder rifles around and I think I would likely grab one of those - a buffalo rifle maybe -unloaded of course - and use it to swing around!

Good idea about the new locks. Oh my - I can sure see how you feel violated - knowing someone was in your home and so sorry you are going through this.

Do you have anyone who could stay with you for awhile??

Take care!!!

ChrisH
07-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Oh, Liz, {{hugs}} .. I wish I could help in some way.

I think I understand a little of how you are feeling, I live alone and have a mushy dog too. I also remember years ago when an intruder got in my house, he was scared away but even so I knew someone had got in my home, with me there too - my dog at the time, GSD Penny, wasn't a whole lot of help either - and I felt invaded and nervous for a long time after. About a gun, I am not sure, because they scare me, but, at the time, if guns had been legal and commonplace I may have kept one handy too.

When the door is secured and your neighbour looking out, you hopefully will feel safer.

Take care. Will be keeping you in my prayers.
Chris

Cinder & Smoke
07-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by lizbud

Smokey and kitties slept like rocks last night,
big help they are. :rolleyes:

Bad Guy must not have taken any of the FurKids' Toys! ;)

And be Thankful that Smokey did NOT put up a fight -
he could have been badly injured or worse.

As for the :eek: GUN - I'd vote to return it to your neighbor!

BEST solution for a break-in if you're home -
Dial 9-1-1 ;)

/s/ Phred

gini
07-17-2004, 04:24 PM
I just have to concur - get the gun out of the house!

Get yourself out of the house and your critters.........

BUT - YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT..........THEY WON'T BE BACK!

But - return the gun - especially since you say you are still shaking!

Over the years (with a serious break-in and robbery behind me) I was always sure that the only thing I could manage with a gun was to shoot myself in the foot.

Of course, as the burgler was laughing his head off, you could get still get out of the house.

stacwase
07-17-2004, 07:40 PM
What a terrible thing to have happen to you. I would be terrified, too!

I think territorial dogs are much more valuable than guns, by the way! Sounds like a trip to the shelter might be in order?

I'm glad that you and your pets are OK.

Cincy'sMom
07-17-2004, 09:51 PM
How scary for you Liz! I'm not sure my reaction of wanting a gun would be any different. Like have others have said though, be sure you know how to handle it.

Some friends had their house broken into a few months ago, and came how to fnd thier dog in the front yard. I guess I'm surprised how often dogs aren't the deterents we think they are. I told her it was cause her dog wasn't abig black one and she need to add a second (I've really just been trying to talk her into another dog ;) but I guessin your case that won't work...maybe you need a tan one to go with the black :)

Sending postive thoughts your way. Let us know if you need something.

trayi52
07-17-2004, 10:10 PM
What a horrible thing to have to go through. I can't even imagine how you must be feeling.

Please be safe, and take care of yourself and the furry ones. Thank God everybody is safe, and nothing happened to any of you.

Willie

Pam
07-17-2004, 10:28 PM
Oh my gosh Liz! What an awful thing to have happen and how frightened you must be. I would be wavering from fear to anger at this point! :mad: Why do people think they have a right to help themselves to things that other people have worked hard to get?! :mad: I hope whoever did it can be caught and that sometime soon you will be able to relax and feel secure once again in your home. (((Hugs)))

About 15 years ago we had about 7 robberies in our neighborhood between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and some of them occurred when the people were asleep in their beds. :eek: One family was even robbed on Christmas Eve. Eventually the thief was caught and it was a teenager. He and his mother were both drug addicts and she was even encouraging the crimes. :mad: Right after this, people (including us) began installing security alarm systems. It might make you feel comfortable to have one, although I think if mine went off in the middle of the night I would have a heart attack right in bed.

Uabassoon
07-17-2004, 10:44 PM
That's horrible news. Our house got robbed once when I was in high school. They only took the tv because thankfully the neighbors saw them as they were carrying into the truck, so they just jumped in and drove off. Thankfully nothing happened to kitty, the neighbors closed the door after the burglar drove off. But I remember I was too scared to sleep that night.

4 Dog Mother
07-18-2004, 08:47 AM
Liz, I am glad you and the furkids are okay. I would be interested in knowing if Smokey is a barker. A recent article I read about dogs and burglary was that it doesn't matter the size of the dog as to how much it barks. A barking dog is more likely to draw attention by neighbors, etc. and a robber (according to the report) does not want that attention drawn to the house. My dogs would raise a real ruckus but a burlar probably wouldn't stand a chance of getting anything because they would be vying for his attention, jumping on him and trying to get him to pet them. But then again if he left the door open, they would probably take off and leave the house free for him to take whatever he wished.

Randi
07-18-2004, 09:40 AM
Liz, years ago we had some really nasty neighbors (Banditos hang arounds). Before I realised who they were, I had complained to the wife about her always leaving bags of garbage on the staircase. From then on, it was war! :eek: The guy was rather nasty and threatening towards us, so we half expected our door would be kicked in sooner or later. At a point we thought of getting something to defend ourselves, so I called my cousin's wife, who was a cop at the time, to get some advice. The plan was to get a pepper spray from friends in USA, but she told me that that was illegal to use in Denmark, but suggested we keep a hair spray ready by the door. Well, luckily it never got to the point where we had to use it. They were kicked out soon after. :)

Hope everything falls into place, and you can relax again. :)

ramanth
07-18-2004, 10:10 AM
Oh Liz, I'm so sorry. :( :(

I'm just glad you and the furkids are okay.

Albea
07-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Liz, I'm so sorry you had to go through this horrible experience. Like everybody else said, it's a good thing that Smokey and the kitty are safe.
I vote with Karen and Phred: forget about the gun. Get an alarm installed instead and it will make you feel safer. I don't know how much the monthly charge is in your area. I have one and it's under $30.00 a month. If nothing else, just having the decal in your doors will be a useful. Robbers don't want to risk the sirens going on if they open a door.
As for Smokey, he could join Carina in the "I'm not a Watch Dog Club." Carina has barked three times in 11 years, and that was because her food wasn't ready fast enough. I'm sure that if any stranger came in the house she'll bring him one of her pull toys.
Please know that we are all thinking of you and hope that you can get over this incident very soon.
Alicia

HoRsELUvR
07-18-2004, 02:01 PM
Im so sorry this happened.:( What a terrible thing for someone to do. Its lucky your pets were unharmed.

Rachel
07-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Liz, I am so sorry that this has happened to you. Although never having been robbed myself, my old neighbors were once and it was just an awful experience, even though nothing was taken.

I have to agree hands down with Albea. She has expressed my sentiments on the various aspects of this situation. And again, I am so, so sorry.

Kfamr
07-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Liz, I hope you're feeling a bit better today. I'd be nervous to have a gun in the home... maybe you can ask a police man or someone advice on what you could use instead of a gun for protection.

I say go to the shelter and get ya a GSD... Wouldn't Smokey like a friend?

Or maybe Phred would let you borrow Cinder n Smoke? :p

lizbud
07-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks PTers. :) This has been an awful experience, but
but I'm so glad none of the animals were hurt & they didn't
vandalize my house. Things can be replaced certainly, the real
thing stolen was my sense of peace & security here at home.
I intend to try to get that back by getting security doors (front
& back) and a wireless alarm system. I did give
the heavy 45 back to the neighbor.

Smokey hardly ever barks so I'm sure they thought nobody
was home.I still might get another German Shepherd Dog
but if I do, it will be because I do love the breed. I didn't get
Buddy (at 10 wks) for his guarding ability, it was just his nature.
Smokey is a lover & not a fighter.:D

I've talked to all my family, friends & neighbors by now and
I do feel some better. It all could have been much worse and
I have a definate plan for the future. Thanks for caring. :)

Edwina's Secretary
07-18-2004, 08:11 PM
So sorry to hear Liz! My apartment was burglarized many years ago. It is a terrible feeling of being violated.

An alarm system...electronic or four legged is a much better idea than a gun! (The line from Farenhiedt 9/11 about shoting someone!)

My thoughts are with you....

lisalee
07-18-2004, 09:10 PM
So sorry to hear this, I'm sure glad your family and pets are ok. My parents house was broken into for the second time this year. It's very scary, they made out with alot of material things, but thank god no one was hurt. That's the most important thing. It certainly does scare the heck out of you though. My dad works nights occasionally now so I worry alot about my mom and Tabby there alone. My mom never worries though, I wish I could be like her.:(

Lisa & Sash

shais_mom
07-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Liz, I am so sorry for your invasion. How awful....
I hope you and the furbies are ok.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

Sudilar
07-18-2004, 10:35 PM
Oh my goodness, Liz!!!! I just read this thread now!!! I am so glad that everyone is ok! That is the main thing! I'm glad they did not hurt Smokey or your kitty!!!
Maybe a GSD friend for Smokey is a good idea. The ruckus my two put up when someone steps foot on my sidewalk draws a lot of attention. In fact, Shiloh keeps a close eye on me when I go out the front door and down the driveway just to get the morning newspaper. As soon as I step out the door, she starts barking and doesn't stop til I am back in the house. Killian just stands at the door and WATCHES silently (ready for any problems). Yes, GSDs do alert on any strange sounds or when someone comes to the door. Sometimes only one alerts and the other is silent, that means minor intruder and the one alerting can handle it, but when BOTH alert..........watch out. They work as a team.
Hugs to you, Liz. I hope you are feeling better now.

Kfamr
07-19-2004, 09:21 PM
I'm glad you're feeling a bit better, Liz.
Hopefully you can feel a complete sense of security eventually.

I do think Smokey would like a friend. :D ;)

wolfie
07-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Oh, how scary! I'm glad you all are okay now though.

Cincy'sMom
07-20-2004, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Sudilar
Yes, GSDs do alert on any strange sounds or when someone comes to the door. Sometimes only one alerts and the other is silent, that means minor intruder and the one alerting can handle it, but when BOTH alert..........watch out. They work as a team.

I know mine aren't GSD's, but I think the same kind of team work is true...if just Spot is barking, no biggie at all. Cincy joins in, there maybe someone in the yard. Sadie barks, and weget up and look...she rarely barks.

At the same time, she barks more now with Spot, a barjer, inthe house then she ever used to...I think now she may bark once or twice a week :D