PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Vs. Shelter

drewhexsa
07-16-2004, 02:50 PM
I adopted an adolescent cat this year, kind on the spur of the moment, something I really don't reccomend, but his previous owners couldn't keep him any longer. He's adjusted rather nicely, I think, but one noticable trait is that he really misses living with other cats, and get's a bit lonely when I'm at work. So, I was considering adopting a second cat, but this time putting a lot of planning into it. While there are certain breeds I think are very nice, ie: Bengal, Persian, Everytime I look at the local shelters' posting for available cats, It breaks my heart, and I want to take every one of them home. What are the pro's and cons for getting a shelter kitten, versus bred kitten, or should I adopt an adult instead, in order to make sure she'll adjust? Any thought would be very appreciated.

jazzcat
07-16-2004, 02:56 PM
First off welcome to PT!!

You are going to get a lot of response from this and a lot of good advice so I'll just keep mine simple.

Adopt from a shelter. PLEASE!!!!!! Give a homeless cat a second chance at life!! You'll be glad you did.

Check out www.petfinder.org
You can put in your zip code and see all the wonderful cats and kittens available at shelters and rescue in your area. You can even find purebred cats at shelters.

Please adopt a shelter cat!!!!!

Good luck and please let us know how it goes - and share pictures too!!

Equus217
07-16-2004, 03:00 PM
First, I think it's a great idea to get your kitty a companion! I also agree that the purebred cats are breathtaking...I've always wanted a bengal kitty!! However, I have two kittens I adopted from the shelter who are the absolute light of my life right now. The only other cats I have owned in the past (2) were also strays. Two of my three dogs were strays as well. I guess what I am trying to say is...I don't think anything is more rewarding than the love of an animal you rescue. I truly believe they know and appreciate what you do for them, and spend the rest of their lives trying to prove it to you!! SO that's my vote...shelter kitty!!shelter kitty!! shelter kitty!!!:D :D :D

As for socializing them, I would keep them seperated in different rooms/areas of the house at first. They can begin to get used to each others scent that way and nobody will get hurt. You can take blankets from one room with new kitty's scent on it and put it in the room with your cat...that usually helps too. The important thing is not to rush them into loving each other right off the bat!!Thanks for considering adopting and giving a homeless kitty a furrever home!!:D GOOD LUCK!!!

wolflady
07-16-2004, 03:01 PM
welcome drewhexsa, and congratulations on your first rescue! :) What is his name? About how old is he?
I agree with jazzcat...save a life and adopt another! :D There are always kittens available (at least I know they are in my local shelter) and older cats will adjust easier to younger cats typically. Since he has been around other cats before and likes it, I think things should go pretty smoothly.
Drop in at your local shelter from time to time, because the available animals are constantly changing, so you can always wait until you know you've found the right one...or rather, one finds you! ;)

Good luck in finding a new feline family member!

catlover4ever
07-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk. I don't have any pure bred cats...only rescues and I have to agree with Jazzcat...please, please, please give a shelter kitty a chance.

Karen
07-16-2004, 03:09 PM
Don't think that by going to a shelter, or through rescue, that you cannot get a purebred cat! Yesterday's Cat of the Day, for example, looks to be - and probably is - a purebred Persian, yet he was a rescue! Frequent shelters and wait to see who tugs at your heart - you just never know!

drewhexsa
07-16-2004, 03:11 PM
yes, those were my sentiments exactly. I would so love to give a beautiful kitty another chance. As for my current kitty, He's a year and 3 months, his name is Rupert, and while I have a horrible camera, Here's the best pic I've taken yet.

http://img18.exs.cx/img18/9438/Rupert.jpg

jazzcat
07-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Aww, Rupert looks like a handsome tuxie!!

I'm glad that going with a shelter is how you are thinking. It's been a year since I brought my little Scout home from the shelter. She had been abused by some boys until someone stepped in and rescued her. She was only 6-9 months old and when they went to spay her they discovered she was pregnant.:(

She was so pitiful looking at the shelter with the saddest eyes I've ever seen. She just tugged at my heart and even though my husband said no more cats I finally convinced him. She's been one of the best things to ever happen to me and I can't imagine life without her - or any of my pets.

sirrahbed
07-16-2004, 03:22 PM
:D Rupert looks like he might be a tuxie? A black and white kitty??

I would also suggest a shelter kitty because there are so many wonderful kitties that need homes. My daughter-in-law got her Marshmallow who is purebred Persian from their local shelter and she is gorgeous! But who knows which kitty will just grab you my the heartstrings:D

Some places like PetSmart show shelter kitties at adoption days and even have a room where you could bring Rupert to "meet" some of the kitties. I think some of the shelters will also allow this. Just a thought.

What sort of personality does Rupert have? That sort of thing will help you decide what sort of kitty to look for also. Others here will be able to offer more suggestions as well. My latest addition was to a house with two older (almost year old)kittens who were still rambunctious so I had to find an adult who was pretty laid back and non-aggressive and was able to find a great match at a shelter and that is the orangie in my siggy:D

All the best to you and WELCOME to PT!!

DJFyrewolf36
07-16-2004, 03:30 PM
I'm in agreement with the shelter setiment!!! I got my Remus bum from the local shelter. I wasn't even really looking for a cat at the time *I was thinking about it, I guess thats enough!* and he just meowed his way into my heart! my philosophy is: Just because a kitty isnt purebread doesnt mean he isnt absolutely adoreable!

BTW your Rupert is adorable!! Welcome to PT!

drewhexsa
07-16-2004, 03:35 PM
yes, rupert is a tux. I almost called him Scarface, due to his face marking, which is like a scar. It covers half his nose, and part of his mouth. however, he's much too timid to be a scarface. He's a very independent cat, but he spends a lot of time looking for his mother and sister, since living with me is the first time he's ever lived alone. He's not very affectionate, but gets more friendly as time goes on. He likes his scratchers, likes the window seal, and hates when I leave the room without him. He's very into being around me, but not being near me, which is frustrating, but oh well. I was going to look for a female who is very affectionate. I really love it when a cat is super-friendly, and since I spend a lot of time at home, I'm hoping to find a cat who likes being pet or held a bunch. Hopefully I'll find the perfect match, but of course I'm going to spend a while looking around at my options.

rosethecopycat
07-16-2004, 03:43 PM
http://www.itsmeowornever.org/homeless.html

There are breed rescues that 'specialize' in the type of cat you're looking for.

Persian, Himi, Siamese, Bengal, etc.

All are truly rescues, yes these cats are safe now, but once that individual is placed another one is taken to safety in it's place.

A huge chain reaction occurs when you decide to rescue.:)

Welcome.

Rose

Craftlady
07-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Welcome to PT.
We've had 2 strays and 2 from PetSmart adoption centers. Our hearts are filled with love from these guys and girls. :)

Kfamr
07-16-2004, 03:46 PM
I don't think there's any cons to adopting. ;)

catnapper
07-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Oh yes, do get a sceond cat! I've seen such an improvement in my Allen's personality since we adopted Pouncer from a shelter last year. Allen used to be quite a loner and never ever anted loving from his humans. Now he's always curling up with Pouncer and beggin us for scratches and rubs!

Neither of my boys are purebred, but they are incredibly handsome (at least to me! :D ) and have such sweet dispositions. Pouncer is actually a therapy cat - we go to the local nursing home and have the residents enjoy his company. not many cats can do that, but my little rescue can!

The best thing about rescue is obviously the ability to give a homeless cat the second chance at a full life. But in return you get a cat that knows you saved him/her and have offered it a safe and loving home. It might take time if you find a cat that experienced some hard times, but the rewards are unimaginable when they come to trust you implicitly!

Aspen and Misty
07-16-2004, 04:30 PM
I think adopting is the best way to go. :) But then I am biased since I'm a reascuer!

Right now I have a lil black and white kitten who I think looks like your Rupert
http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v109/Nova2002/143363ba.jpg

Ashley

Laura's Babies
07-16-2004, 04:39 PM
PLEASE ADOPT FROM A KILL SHELTER!!! We have 2 hymalains in our shelter right now and some beautiful other persian type kitties with wonderful personalities... For everyone you adopt, it opens space so that another can live...

jenluckenbach
07-16-2004, 05:18 PM
WELCOME!

Getting a second kitty is they best thing you can do (but with 15 cats, I too am a little biased) And PLEASE rescue (adopt) don't BUY! My "mutt" cats have the greatest personalities. And all different. Breeds are nice to look at but the more people seek out breeds (even through a rescue) the more likely unecessary breeding will continue. (as long as there is demand, there will be supply).

So happy hunting and I can't at to see who you find (or should I say, who finds you)

:D

rg_girlca
07-16-2004, 06:31 PM
A big Hearty Welcome to Pet Talk.

Your Rupert looks like a real cutie patootie.

I am 100% behind everyone when they say to adopt from a shelter and i'm so glad that you decided to pick an older cat.
My Katie was adopted from our SPCA from a rescue organization, as she only had 1 more day left before she was to be PTS.
Katie was only 11 months old at the time. She was at the rescue place only 3 days when I came along and adopted her. She will be 14 years old in October and she has been such a joy since.
She is my little lovebug.

I hope when the day comes when you decide to adopt a companion for your Rupert, that you will share your happy day with us.:)

smokey the elder
07-17-2004, 07:19 AM
Please adopt from a shelter. There are so many kitties waiting for homes, and I think they are really grateful when they get their forever home. It may take a while for them to come out of their shell, especially if they are in a cage. Good luck!

catcrazylady
07-17-2004, 07:46 AM
Welcome to PT!! I think you have heard every great reason there is to adopt from a shelter and I echo each and every one of them. I volunteer at my local shelter and there are some of the most wonderful cats I have ever met living there! I would love to bring them all home!
I would suggest one thing when you decide to go check out your shelter. Don't set your mind on anything particular and just go through and love on all the needy kitties. I promise you that the cat will pick you and you will know it's right!! You will connect with the one that is supposed to come home with you. If you set yourself to certain breeds or a certain color when you go in I can almost guarantee that is not what you will come out with!! You will be chosen and your heart will melt and bond with a kitty that you never expected. Go in with an open mind and come out with furry love galore!!!

Please share with us when you do adopt. We LOVE rescues!!!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

catmandu
07-17-2004, 08:38 AM
Please visit your Local Shelter,and I think that you will e suprised,at how many Pure bred Cats,are there,waiting,for a chance,to be friends,with you,and your Companion Cat!