PDA

View Full Version : Pinch me!!!!

catnapper
07-16-2004, 09:45 AM
I had the most amazing day yesterday!

I don't even know where to start with the news - or if anyone other than me would be excited about it!

First off, my neighbor is retiring and closing her business. She was a picture framer and knew that I do some framing on the side. She asked me at lunchtime yesterday if I was interested in "some" matboard (you know, that carboard border that goes around pictures) and I said, "Sure. How much do you want for it?" She said free.... ok! Well I figured she might have had twenty or so sheets of matboard for me. I also figured that even if they were ugly, beat up sheets I could use them as backing board....not so! There is currently over 300 sheets of perfect, beautiful colors in my office! AND its the high quality stuff! I hardly ever buy it because I can't afford it - and now I have more than I'll go through in a long time!

THEN while hubby and I are there picking the matboard up from her shop, she hands me at least a couple hundred dollars worth of frame molding. She's giving me fax machine, a vice, a framer's table, and a vaccuum press, all sorts of small supplies, glass, storage cabinets - you name it! I told her that I can't TAKE all of this stuff... that I need to pay SOMETHING. All she'll take is $500 for everything!!!! She even handed me her rolodex with all of her vendors and good clients!!!!

I'm going to have a fully stocked frame shop in my basement within two weeks! I'll be able to sell to people and make some really good money. My house is zoned residential/commercial so NO problem having customers come to the house. I was a picture framer for ten years, so I know what I'm doing! I LOVED being a picture framer. Even if I only do one or two customers a week in between my artwork and designwork... please pinch me! I'm SO excited!

Freckles
07-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Wow, what a great deal.
I hope you paid for lunch!:D

catnapper
07-16-2004, 09:57 AM
LOL! No, I was cutting a bagel and Nicki asked to go out, so I walked out into the yard still holding the bagel. My neighbor saw me and called me over. She asked me about the matboard, and I jokingly offered her my bagel! :D

Yes, it IS a great deal! She's a wonderful neighbor and I can't thank her enough!

Tonya
07-16-2004, 10:36 AM
That is wonderful!

catlover4ever
07-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Wow, that is a wonderful deal. I don't know how to frame but would love to learn. As a matter of fact everytime I finish a cross stitch project and need to hav eit framed I always end up having to take it somewhere....can I come to your house for a few lessons?? Just kidding.

Logan
07-16-2004, 10:50 AM
What a gift!!!!! I wish you the best of luck in your new venture!!!!! :D

Corinna
07-16-2004, 10:50 AM
NIce way to walk in to a business . Good luck!

jazzcat
07-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Wow, you did have a great day. Congrats on your new business!!!

Edwina's Secretary
07-16-2004, 11:02 AM
That is exciting! I have a neighbor who owns an art gallery and framing shop. He and I have worked on some projects tuning "found objects" into wonderful art -- thanks to his creative framing! For example.... I had some cat postcards I bought in France for 1 Euro. He matted and framed them... so cute. Of course the framing cost a bit more than 1 Euro!

Congratulations!

catnapper
07-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
He and I have worked on some projects tuning "found objects" into wonderful art -- thanks to his creative framing! For example.... I had some cat postcards I bought in France for 1 Euro. He matted and framed them... so cute. Of course the framing cost a bit more than 1 Euro!

Congratulations!

LOL! I once had someone come into the frame shop with this AWFUL collage with glitter, feathers, sequins, pom-poms, etc. It looked like someone just dumped the left over craft supplies onto a piece of paper and glued them down. Anyway, $200 later, it looked GREAT! It was actually really cool! I am sometimes amazed at how much the right frame can make something turn from blah to fabulous.

Thanks everyone! I am truly amazed that this windfall landed in my lap! I don;t know how much business I'll do with it, but ANY business is still business!

Barbara
07-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Catnapper, a pity you are so far away.
Right now I got a wonderful gift from Edwina's secretary: an old quilt square (ca. 100 years) and I am thinking about how to frame it:D

If you were here you'd have a job right now:D

catnapper
07-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Barbara
Catnapper, a pity you are so far away.

What? Several continents is too far for you to go for framing something? :D :p

LOL!!!!!!

Cataholic
07-16-2004, 01:05 PM
PINCH!!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist! What wonderful fortune.

Barbara
07-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
What? Several continents is too far for you to go for framing something? :D :p

LOL!!!!!!

As a matter of fact I'd wish that many PT connections would be closer in real life - we all could make quite some business out of us:D

Denyce
07-16-2004, 07:11 PM
Have you ever worked with needleworks and especially linen cloth? I have a couple of needleworks I need framed at some point. Or at least stretched and matted. One I have the frame for it I just need someone to cut the mats and put it on the foam core. It is a tricky one however.

Denyce

heinz57_79
07-16-2004, 07:52 PM
Woo hoo! What a score! And for a great price... You must be so tickled! It's great when things like that happen, kinda brings back your faith in life and luck. You'll have to post pics of some of your work when you get it started. I've got some pics I need framed... i wonder how long it would take for me to drive over to the east coast and back again......... ;)

dappledoxie
07-16-2004, 07:54 PM
All I can say is awesome!!!!

rg_girlca
07-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Wow what a steal.
CONGRATULATIONS ....

Can't wait to see some of your work.:)

moosmom
07-17-2004, 09:46 AM
Catnapper,

That is wonderful news!!! Start making them signs saying you're in business. You'd be surprized how fast word of mouth gets around. Good luck!!

ChrisH
07-17-2004, 09:58 AM
That is wonderful!! :D