PDA

View Full Version : what are your'e adoption fees in your area.?

carole
07-15-2004, 11:43 PM
I was just searching Petfinder, torturing myself once again and was amazed at the adoption fees, they seem quite expensive, so wondered what it cost to adopt in your state, country , area.

From the cats protection league, you can adopt a cat for $35 dollars, all de-flead, first vac, and fixed, a kitten for $65.00 SPCA, cost more around Ten dollars more for cat and about the same for a kitten, Human Alternative around $50.00, Dogs I am not so sure about , but I think around $120 to $160.

Tweety_Pie
07-15-2004, 11:46 PM
at the Ottawa Humane Society (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada)

The adoption fee's have gone up alot in the last couple of months.

The adoption fee's are (copied from the site) www.ottawahumane.ca

The cost of adoption is:
Puppies: $275.00 (under 6 months)
Dogs: $235.00
Kittens: $145.00 (under 6 months)
Cats: $125.00
Rabbits: $20.00 (Ask about our Spay/Neuter voucher for rabbits.)
Guinea Pigs: $15.00
Gerbils/Hamsters/Rats: $8 (singles); $12 (multiples)
Cockatiels: $40.00
Budgies: $20.00
Love Birds: $40.00

and it also says on the site

"These costs include a health check, initial deworming and vaccination, and permanent microchip identification. If the animal is not sterilized this price includes a spay/neuter voucher that covers the cost of the operation."

Desert Arabian
07-15-2004, 11:47 PM
Dogs- $80-250
Cats- Free- $80
Reptiles- $30
Birds- $30-100
Small Animals- $5-20

It all varies from society to society, but they are pretty close. It mainly depends on the age, breed, etc.

teenster3
07-15-2004, 11:51 PM
I've only looked into dogs. When I was looking at local humane societies, I believe the cost was $85.00 including having them fixed. I know some shelters with cats would do a "adopt 1 cat, get 1 for free" because they were soooo crowded!:( Poor babies!!!!!

GoldenRetrLuver
07-15-2004, 11:57 PM
Ours is kind of different.

For Dogs that were strays, and are over four months of age it's $86.00. For puppies that were strays, that are under four months of age, it's $72.00.

For Dogs over four months of age, that were owned by someone coming into the shelter, it's $81.00. For a Puppy that is under four months of age, and was owned by someone, it's $67.00.

For a Cat that is over four months and was a stray, it's $68.00. For a Kitten that is under four months of age and was a stray, it's $64.00.

For a Cat over four months that was owned by someone, it's $63.00. For a Kitten under four months that was owned by someone, it's $59.00.

Kinda confusing :o, but that's only one shelter, which is the one I visit the most often. All of these prices incude their spay/neutering.

Glacier
07-15-2004, 11:58 PM
160 for an unaltered dog
45 if the animal was altered before it came into the shelter.

cali
07-16-2004, 12:29 AM
well I guess just last augest the prices at our shelter went up lol

ANIMALS THAT ARE ALREADY SPAYED OR NEUTERED:

cat: $30.00

dog: $40.00

NON-STERILIZED ANIMALS:

MALE CAT

Under 6 months: Adoption fee $35.00 + $45.00 neutering fee = Total -- $80.00

6 months to 5 years: Adoption fee $30.00 + $45.00 neutering fee = Total -- $75.00

5 years and over: Adoption fee $15.00 + $45.00 neutering fee = Total -- $60.00

FEMALE CAT

Under 6 months: Adoption fee $35.00 + $80.00 spay fee = Total -- $115.00

6 months to 5 years: Adoption fee $30.00 + $80.00 spay fee = Total -- $110.00

5 years and over: Adoption fee $15.00 + $80.00 spay fee = Total -- $95.00

MALE DOG

Under 6 months: Adoption fee $45.00 + $80.00 neuter fee = Total -- $125.00

6 months to 5 years: Adoption fee $40.00 + $80.00 neuter fee = Total -- $120.00

5 years and over: Adoption fee $20.00 + $80.00 neuter fee = Total -- $100.00

FEMALE DOG

Under 6 months: Adoption fee $45.00 + $87.00 spay fee = Total -- $132.00

6 months to 5 years: Adoption fee $40.00 + $87.00 spay fee = Total -- $127.00

I dont know about the small animals they dont get them in very often, but I got kari after the price increse and she was only $10

jazzcat
07-16-2004, 12:44 AM
I mainly know for cats.
County Animal Shelter is $85
Humane Society is $125
The rescue I got Jazz and Scout at have gone from $60 for cats to $125.:eek: :eek:
The county shelter where my Dad lives is only $25 for altered animals and $60 if unaltered but will refund $35 once you haved them fixed.

binka_nugget
07-16-2004, 02:01 AM
At the Vancouver pound, where I volunteer at and where I got Kaedyn from, they charge $150 for their dogs. It includes spaying/neutering, shots, microchipping, a petlynx package and any additional (inexpensive) medical treatments. They may charge more due to expensive treatments but for the most part, it's $150.

I'm not sure how much the SPCA charges. I heard it was $10 for small animals. I'm not sure about the cats and dogs though.

The rescues tend to be a bit more expensive. The Border Collie rescue charges close to $300 I think. The Sheltie rescue charges A LOT for their dogs. I think one of the dogs I was interested in costed more than we paid for Kai.

Kfamr
07-16-2004, 05:36 AM
I got this off of their website...

You can view some of these pets by visiting . Our adoption fees for dogs and cats range from $35 to $65 and include:

Spaying or Neutering
Current Vaccinations
Microchipping
Rabies license and tag (Pinellas county residents only)
De-worming
Feline FIV/Leukemia testing
Canine Heartworm exam
Follow up counseling from our Adoption Support Team

Our new puppy cost $65:)

sirrahbed
07-16-2004, 08:53 AM
At the PetSmart where we gort Emily and Eliot, it costs $50 for each kitten and then when you have them neutered, you mail in the proof and get $20 back. Since we adopted both togther as required, we paid $80. In Cincy where we adopted Dylan, it was $65 for him. I am pretty sure dogs are more expensive at both places. We are in Ohio:)

wolfie
07-16-2004, 09:20 AM
I'm not sure - we have a lot of shelters in our area. Daphne was free, but we had to pay a $20 fee since she wasn't spayed, and then we got it back after she was.

Some rescues are really expensive though. I understand where their costs are coming from, but sometimes it's cheaper to buy from a breeder than adopt from a rescue or shelter!

Tonya
07-16-2004, 10:43 AM
I don't know the exact fees...

But Roxy came from Norsled sleddog rescue and she was about $250.

Dusty came from the pound and he was about $100.

Ron came from the pound and he was about $45.

Raven came from a Himalayan rescue and she was $100. She was all white with silver tips and looked like some exotic breed as a kitten. Hehe, she turned out to be a pretty alley cat once she matured.

molucass
07-16-2004, 11:37 AM
At the Humane Society, it costs $80 for all animals.
It includes:
spay/neuter
shots
worming
heartworm test (for dogs over 6 mos.)
and a veterinarian wellness check.

At a shelter called Puddin's Place:
adult dogs $75
adult cats $50
and puppies and kittens $25.
and their site says this:
All animals of age are spayed or neutered before they go to their new homes. If underage animals are adopted, the adopter signs a contract agreeing to have the animal altered at the appropriate time, and we follow up on all of these cases to ensure that altering has taken place.

The one of the vet clinics called West End Animal Clinic takes in some animals and adopts them out... their site says:

We do ask for a $25.00 donation to help deflect some of the cost of care and medical treatment. We will ask for a Registration Sheet to be filled out by the new owner so that we know where that animal is going and how to contact you. If, at any time, you decide not to keep a pet from our clinic, please return it to us. Your new pet will be current on vaccinations and spayed or neutered if old enough to do so. If not, we will do this at the appropriate age at no cost to you. If there is a medical problem with that pet, such as heartworm positive, you will be told of it in advance. All dogs are to be given a heartworm preventative year round.

And there is a couple other shelters, but I can't find what it says the costs are to adopt on their sites.

micki76
07-16-2004, 12:28 PM
Most rescues here charge between $100-$175 for dogs. Our city shelter only charges $20. :( I've tried to get them to raise the adoption fees, but they won't. :mad:

Petluvr013
07-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Dogs-$50
Cats-$45
(all animals are fixed before you buy)

My Peanuts
07-16-2004, 03:19 PM
We got Harley at the Animal Welfare League, which isn't the closest shelter to my house. Dogs are $85 there and that included spay/neutering, shots for a year, fecal evaluation, microchip, collar, & tags. Oh yeah and the dog :p

I think cats there were $40 will all the same extras.

I know the fees around here vary drastically from shelter to shelter.

Aspen and Misty
07-16-2004, 03:47 PM
To expensive to adopt from!!

Prices have sky rocketed latly.

Ash

Kfamr
07-16-2004, 03:53 PM
The high prices go to a good cause though. :)
I'd much rather spend $100 and save a life. :D

MariaM
07-16-2004, 03:53 PM
I believe at the SPCA it costs $120 for a dog, once you get it fixed and all the medical stuff done, they give you $100 dollars back.

Cincy'sMom
07-16-2004, 04:36 PM
It varies here dependingon where you get the dog....most of the rescue group are around $100 which includes shots and spay/neuter. That included the humane society. We also have one no kills shelter that charges nothing, but asks for adonation. I really know nothing about them. There are some purebred resuce groups that charge closer to $200-250. I think most cats are around $50-$65

sirrahbed
07-16-2004, 04:45 PM
I already posted but I wanted to add that I do not feel the prices are high at all. Even the $65 for a cat is nothing considering it has shots, worming and is spayed or neutered. If I took a cat to my vet - the check up is $40, shots around $20, worming around $15 and then a neuter is $75 and $120 for a spay. That is just for the first round of shots!! If they needed labwork, had fleas, earmites etc - more $$. Both organizations where we got our cats were humane societies and they rely on donations and volunteers. When I can, I send them pictures of the kitties and tuck in a few extra dollars now and then. I do not think any animals should be cheap or FREE. An animal costs money and owners have to realize this from the beginning.

micki76
07-16-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
I already posted but I wanted to add that I do not feel the prices are high at all.

Plus the cheaper the adoption, the more likely the anmimal is to be used as bait. :(

Kfamr
07-16-2004, 05:11 PM
I agree 100% Debbie! :)

carole
07-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Gosh that was interesting, it appears prices really vary in different states,countries, I sure hope you guys are not suggesting that because we can get a young cat for $35 dollars that it would be used for bait, horrifying,people who adopt from our shelters just donot do that, there would be plenty free ones available., and hopefully not used for that, but its a coincidence you mention this, only last night I was at a person's house buying something through the local paper, she had heaps of cats, being the cat lover I am, I asked how many, she said nine, we love cats, hubby was there cuddling one, he piped up and said yes we rescued these two from being eel bait.

I was sickened to hear that he said these people used kittens for this, and had no problem showing their children, I was so repulsed, I could not believe this actually happens, where is the SPCA when they are needed.

I am in two minds about prices, if they are too high, then alot of people won't adopt, they will simply take the free ones in the paper, I do however think whatever price is paid, it is not expensive, as you all mentioned it cost much more to do all the medical stuff etc.

Aspen and Misty
07-17-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by micki76
Plus the cheaper the adoption, the more likely the anmimal is to be used as bait. :(

Yup. Our Adoptions acctually went up for a VERY VERY good reason!!

There are no more animals in Lycoming County To Adopt. HA HA!!

We RARLY have 10 dogs, 10 cats and a couple small animals.

I don't think the SPCA has EVER been full. But they are at an all time low right now.

Ashley

Uabassoon
07-17-2004, 02:47 AM
These are the prices at the humane society, the price incluced the cost of the spay/neuter and vaccinations and testing.
$80 for a dog or cat, $95.00 for kitten or puppy and $135.00 for pure bred dogs.

slleipnir
07-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Dog - $190

Cat - $145

Rabbit - $60

Ferret- $120

The dog/cats are spayed or neutered and a bunch of other stuff

moosmom
07-17-2004, 09:44 AM
Most of the shelters here are reasonable. HEADS is absolutely ridiculous. First off, they won't accept ANY animal that isn't fixed, UTD on their shots and tested for Leukemia and Aids. Their adoption fees?? $125.!!!! That is outrageous!!

carole
07-17-2004, 11:40 PM
I agree with you Donna, some of the prices are outrageous, I cannot believe how much more they are than here in NZ, some are the same , but most are nearly double.,like 125 american is 189 NZ dollars, you are well on your way to buying a pedigree without papers for that amount.

kimlovescats
07-17-2004, 11:55 PM
Our local high-kill shelter works along with a reduced fee spay/neuter clinic. The adoption fees are $58.00 for dog or cats, which includes spay/neuter, rabies shot and one distemper shot.
Low fees, but at least it makes it more possible for people to save some helpless animals who are soon to be PTS. :mad: :(

Twisterdog
07-18-2004, 12:44 AM
At the Humane Society, where animals are altered and vaccinated, dogs are $70 and cats are $60.

At city animal control, where they are not altered or vaccinated, dogs are $20 and cats are $10.

At ccounty animal control, where they are not altered or vaccinated, dogs are $5 and cats are $1.

davidpizzica
07-18-2004, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
Most of the shelters here are reasonable. HEADS is absolutely ridiculous. First off, they won't accept ANY animal that isn't fixed, UTD on their shots and tested for Leukemia and Aids. Their adoption fees?? $125.!!!! That is outrageous!! Donna, the prices that HEADS charges id ridiculus. at Cat Sense where I volunteer, is $70 for cats over 6 months, and it's $70 for a kitten, if not spayed, you have a month to spay or neuter them then you are reimbursed $25. I was lucky. When I adopted Nikki & Daisy, the director saw how well Nikki & daisy got alng with me, the adoption fees were waived!

Kfamr
07-18-2004, 07:05 AM
I personally think $125 isn't all that bad for a shelter animal.
Just think, that money goes to helping the other animals, atleast here it does. I love the fact that our shelter does not put an animal up for adoption unless it's already fixed.:)

dukedogsmom
07-18-2004, 07:09 AM
I don't know how much it is at the SPCA but for dogs at animal control, it's $65. They are also spayed/neutered before they are adopted.

Pam
07-18-2004, 07:56 AM
I just got this from the website where I found Ripley.
Adoption Fees:
$39 for Dogs
$34 for Puppies
$28 for Cats and Kittens
See Shelter or Call for other rates.
Adoption fees vary depending on whether pet is spayed or neutered.

As you can see, my little sweetie was a bargain! LOL! He was unneutered and the shelter has a policy that if you get your pet neutered they will submit it to the state and they (the state) will reimburse you $20 for having it done. So my little boy was $39 and I received $20 back from the state. Total cost for Ripley - $19!!! My best bargain ever! ;)

The reason I was at the shelter the day I found Ripley was because my daughter was returning her paperwork to show that Dandy had been spayed. This prompted a "walk through" the kennel by us and there he was! I wonder how many people adopt a second pet when they go there to return their paperwork and decide to just walk through one more time! :D

There are 4 other shelters in my local area and the prices for pets vary, with Ripley's shelter being the cheapest. ;)

DogLover9501
07-18-2004, 12:40 PM
The SPCA here, it's $30 to adopt a kitten/cat, and $50 for a puppy/dog

QueenScoopalot
07-18-2004, 04:41 PM
The shelter I bring kitties to charges $125.00 for kittens/ctas which includes FeLV/FIV test, rabies, FVRCP vaccination, spaying/neutering, flea treatment, earmite treatment. They'll do 'sympathy adoptions' for older cats that may have FIV, or are elderly. There's no charge to the right home. Keep in mind also...that though the price may seem outrageous to many, it really doesn't make ends meet in any shelter. They pay rent, litter, food, often very expensive surgeries for animals that come in with broken legs, or eyes needing removal. They don't get the price they have to shell out for the overlooked extras like that. They charge the same price ($125.00) still, even if they paid the vet $1000.00 for that one cat!

carole
07-18-2004, 08:45 PM
I understand what you are saying, that 125 is not alot and does not really cover the shelters expenses, however why is it that other shelters are so much more reasonable, to me this seems the better way to go, otherwise some people might just go for the free to good home ones in the paper instead, that would be a shame, then the shelter kitties would not find homes as easy.

our shelters here also donot adopt out unless the animal is fixed., the shelters are sponsered by major big companies and get cheap vet fees as well, so its all good.

I certainly respect what others have said about not having the adoption fee to low, I think a moderate fee should be asked to help cover costs, and to ensure that the animals do find homes and good ones at that.

The shelter that adopts out animals not altered for one dollar IMO is very irresponsible, goodness knows what becomes of these poor furbabies.

micki76
07-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by carole
I understand what you are saying, that 125 is not alot and does not really cover the shelters expenses, however why is it that other shelters are so much more reasonable, to me this seems the better way to go, otherwise some people might just go for the free to good home ones in the paper instead, that would be a shame, then the shelter kitties would not find homes as easy.

A lot of it depends on their costs involved in running the shelter or rescue and whether they recieve funds from the governmentsz.

Also, many city shelters do not offer anything above basic shots and spay/neuter. They do not give care above and beyond that, such as major surgery. If a dog or cat needs to have an injured limb repaired, a city shelter will not pay for that surgery, nor will they pay for heartworm treatment. A rescue usually will. We curently have several animals in our rescue program that have had extensive surgery and 3 that have had heartworm treatment. Most of them were pulled from city shelters.

QueenScoopalot
07-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Most shelters are in "the hole" so to speak as far as operating expenses go. Unless they are in a great location, get a lot of grants, houses willed to them etc. many go under fast. Volunteers have to run yard sales, do fund raising constantly, everything possible to keep enough money coming in to stay open. It is not a profitable business by any means! I'm not a shelter, but have enough cats passing through here to be one. I'm always scrambling for enough $$$ to keep enough cat food around, and try to keep up with many other things too. Luckily I have a great shelter that will often in a pinch take the mom cat & kittens that are still in a trap, when I have no room left at the inn!

Aspen and Misty
07-19-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
At the Humane Society, where animals are altered and vaccinated, dogs are $70 and cats are $60.

At city animal control, where they are not altered or vaccinated, dogs are $20 and cats are $10.

At ccounty animal control, where they are not altered or vaccinated, dogs are $5 and cats are $1.

Are you seriouse?????????????????????????????????

Thats CRAZY!! $5 for a dog :eek: $1 for a cat :eek: I know your kidding................

Ash

carole
07-19-2004, 09:43 PM
I can only hope she is kidding?!!!!

Twisterdog
07-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty

Thats CRAZY!! $5 for a dog :eek: $1 for a cat :eek: I know your kidding................

Ash

Of course I'm not kidding. She asked a serious question, and I gave a serious answer. I wouldn't kid about something like this.

Don't ask me why it's so low, I don't make the county policy. Even with the animals practically free, many are still euthanized.

:(

carole
07-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Sorry Twisterdog, of course you would not kid about something like that, I think both Ash and I were just hoping it was not true, that is crazy, seems so irresponsible to me, what do others think, I mean anyone could afford a dollar, even a child, then what happens to the poor animal afterwards, this is hard to say, but in some cases it may have been kinder to PTS these kitties, than perhaps to offer them at one dollar, obviously some get great homes, but you have to wonder just how many.

stacwase
07-20-2004, 06:29 PM
Max was only $35 because he was already neutered.

Don't let that fool you though - he was a very expensive dog! Remember when he shattered my finger and I had to have surgery and missed all that work? And when he attacked the porcupine and had to have surgery? And he eats a LLLOOOOOTTTT. Vaccinations alone were $250 this year.

carole
07-20-2004, 06:48 PM
Yes adopting the cat or dog is the cheap bit, its the ongoing care that takes time and money., they are worth every single cent.

QueenScoopalot
07-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty

Ash
That's pretty irresponsible of anyone to adopt out an animal for that kind of money! That makes for cheap fighting dog bait, snake food, cheap and easy money for 'bunchers' who take animals and sell them for huge profits to labs. That's sickening. I agree the animals may just be better off euthanised than go through a possible horrid life, and death. :( :mad: :(

carole
07-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Yes all those horrific things came to my mind too, I find it outrageous to be frank that any council or whatever could do that, it really disgusts me to think what some of these poor creatures could end up, being PTS would be a kindness in some of these situations.

stacwase
07-21-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by carole
Yes adopting the cat or dog is the cheap bit, its the ongoing care that takes time and money., they are worth every single cent.

They most certainly are. I couldn't pay a person a few thousand dollars a year to follow me everywhere I go, protect me 24 hours a day, sleep beside my bed, give me hugs when I cry, and provide hours and hours of entertainment! No matter how much they cost, we're still getting a heck of a deal!

carole
07-21-2004, 08:20 PM
What a lovely way to put it, yes they are priceless , who should be waiting for me on the front door when I came home today, but my two loyal companions Ash and Lexie, it always brings joy to my heart and smile to my face to see my furbabies glad to see me home.