PDA

View Full Version : IT'S OFFICIAL! (darn it)

davidpizzica
07-15-2004, 05:15 PM
I offically become bionic PTer on August 4. My knee is too far gone to do anyting else. Any cyber hand holding will be appreciated. It will be a total knee replacement.

Tonya
07-15-2004, 05:30 PM
There were a few people when I was going to physical therapy that had knee replacements. Recovery wasn't fun, but they all said they'd wished they'd done it sooner. Best wishes and I hope for a speedy recovery.

moosmom
07-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Davidp,

Here's BOTH, just in case you need a spare. I would've done my shoulders too, but I don't have a wide angle lens.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid128/p6b5df8178fa7e9c46750026bd1baac67/f7d63d85.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid128/p8995ac265723820c8d1ab1926589e37e/f7d63d87.jpg

Just remember one thing. Don't let the doctor put one of them wooden sticks in your mouth till ya find out where it's been!! ;)

(((hugs))))

davidpizzica
07-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
There were a few people when I was going to physical therapy that had knee replacements. Recovery wasn't fun, but they all said they'd wished they'd done it sooner. Best wishes and I hope for a speedy recovery. Tonya, I want to get it done the sooner the better. I am SO SICK of the pain. It isn't going to be a picnic, but I'll get through. The worst part is going to be hospital food LOL.

carole
07-15-2004, 05:43 PM
David I can only re-assure you that Knee replacements are so good these days, and the recovery time much quicker, I am sure Richard can tell you this too. I know its nothing too pleasant to look forward to , but afterwards I am sure you will be saying WHY didn't I do this sooner.

Here is wishing you a successful operation, and a speedy recovery with many painfree days ahead. GOOD LUCK MATE.!!

Cinder & Smoke
07-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Good Luck, David!

Be sure to ask how often you need to have a Lube Job on it. :p

And don't take ANY chances...
Night before Sir Jury - be sure to Paint Up the GOOD Knee
with a Magic Marker - "NOT THIS ONE!" :D

/s/ Phred

kimlovescats
07-15-2004, 05:47 PM
David, I am sure the surgery will go well ... and you will be good as new when it's all done! My grandmother had to use a walker for years and couldn't straighten either leg. She was probably in her 70's she had both knees replaced. After that she walked faster than anyone .... straight as an arrow, with no walker. She also lived to be in her 90's!!! ;) :D

Kim

davidpizzica
07-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Davidp,

Here's BOTH, just in case you need a spare. I would've done my shoulders too, but I don't have a wide angle lens.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid128/p6b5df8178fa7e9c46750026bd1baac67/f7d63d85.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid128/p8995ac265723820c8d1ab1926589e37e/f7d63d87.jpg

Just remember one thing. Don't let the doctor put one of them wooden sticks in your mouth till ya find out where it's been!! ;)

(((hugs)))) Oh, sweetheart, THANK YOU!!! You told me this before, but I'll say it to you: You're an absolute doll!!!!`Don't worry, if they give me one, I'll throw it away. The worst part of this will be HOSPITAL FOOD!!

davidpizzica
07-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
Good Luck, David!

/s/ Phred I'll mark it, left one, dummy, the LEFT ONE!

Corinna
07-15-2004, 05:58 PM
my dad had his done a year ago and he saaid the recovery pain was less than the pain he had been living with. In fact he started his mile walks again(with out docs approval) with in 2 weeks. Good luck and we here in Montana with light a candle for you. When are you going infor the sirgury?

captain
07-15-2004, 05:59 PM
Hand holding ................ coming your way.

Do we call you David P Bionic now?

davidpizzica
07-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
my dad had his done a year ago and he saaid the recovery pain was less than the pain he had been living with. In fact he started his mile walks again(with out docs approval) with in 2 weeks. Good luck and we here in Montana with light a candle for you. When are you going infor the sirgury? Corinna, I'm getting it done August 4th. Hospital food YUCK!

Tina
07-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Prayers coming your way from West Virginia.

My grandpa had to have one of his knees replaced last year. His knees were totally gone. He had a rough time rough the therapy after his surgery. But he seems to be doing just fine now.

They only do one knee at a time usually, he said he doesn't know if he will have the other one done.

davidpizzica
07-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by carole
David I can only re-assure you that Knee replacements are so good these days, and the recovery time much quicker, I am sure Richard can tell you this too. I know its nothing too pleasant to look forward to , but afterwards I am sure you will be saying WHY didn't I do this sooner.

Here is wishing you a successful operation, and a speedy recovery with many painfree days ahead. GOOD LUCK MATE.!! Carole, it's going to be scary at first, but I'll think of all the painfree days ahead. Thank you! ((((HUGS))))

RedHedd
07-15-2004, 06:10 PM
A dear friend of mine had one knee done this past March. When we went to the movies a couple of weeks ago, several of us had trouble keeping up with her. She's having the other knee done later this year. It's not a piece of cake, but she's glad she did it. The PT (physical therapy, not Pet Talk :rolleyes: :p )afterwards takes the longest, but persistence has paid off for my friend and I'm sure it will for you too. Pain isn't fun; anything the docs can to do make it all better, and they're very good at what they can do these days, is worth the downtime. Of course we'll all be rooting for you and praying too.

As for the hospital food, it depends on the hospital. Some ARE better than others and actually can serve some pretty decent food.

G.P.girl
07-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by david p
The worst part is going to be hospital food LOL.

don't eat the jello!!!! good luck with it, (the food and the surgery) august 4th is a great day to do it, cause it's 2 days before my birthday! so it's pretty close to te best day of the year! (can you tell i love my birthday?)

davidpizzica
07-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
Good Luck, David!

/s/ Phred phred, i'll ask them if this includes parts and labor!

trayi52
07-15-2004, 07:00 PM
Sorry, David you have to have the surgery, but when it heals it will be like brand new. The sooner you can get it done, the less you have to worry about it.

Good luck, David!

Willie:)

jenluckenbach
07-15-2004, 07:18 PM
Best of luck with your surgery. Will this mean more pet talk posting during the recovery time?? ;)

Steffi N
07-15-2004, 07:20 PM
David, I am sorry that you are in pain and need surgery, but I hope the operation and rehab go well and that you have an excellent recovery. Best wishes for you.

davidpizzica
07-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Best of luck with your surgery. Will this mean more pet talk posting during the recovery time?? ;) It will be the only thing that I'll be able to do without pain! I"ll be Post happy!

davidpizzica
07-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Sorry, David you have to have the surgery, but when it heals it will be like brand new. The sooner you can get it done, the less you have to worry about it.

Good luck, David!

Willie:) Willie, think of all the posting that I"ll be doing!!

slick
07-15-2004, 07:55 PM
I'll be thinking of you David. Best of luck and like the others have said, we're all here for you.

PS: the only thing worse than the hospital jello is a "hospital pured diet". Blender roast beef? I think not :eek: :eek:

davidpizzica
07-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by slick
I'll be thinking of you David. Best of luck and like the others have said, we're all here for you.

PS: the only thing worse than the hospital jello is a "hospital pured diet". Blender roast beef? I think not :eek: :eek: If they even attempt to give me that, I'll make the nurse eat it!!! The jello sounds bad enough!:eek: :eek:

davidpizzica
07-15-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by G.P.girl
don't eat the jello!!!! good luck with it, (the food and the surgery) august 4th is a great day to do it, cause it's 2 days before my birthday! so it's pretty close to te best day of the year! (can you tell i love my birthday?) Does it matter what flavor it is? or are they ALL bad? Well, I'll still be in the hospital on your birthday, so if I don't get back to you, Happy birthday!

Karen
07-15-2004, 08:30 PM
I'm glad for you you have it scheduled so soon. Find someone who will tell us what room you're in post-surgery, and we'll try to smuggle in edible food when your appetite is back.

davidpizzica
07-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Karen
I'm glad for you you have it scheduled so soon. Find someone who will tell us what room you're in post-surgery, and we'll try to smuggle in edible food when your appetite is back. Edible diabetic food! I'm glad to have it scheduled so quick because I was getting SO SICK OF THE PAIN!! BTW, Karen, this means that I'll be on PT ALOT more!!

G.P.girl
07-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Does it matter what flavor it is? or are they ALL bad? Well, I'll still be in the hospital on your birthday, so if I don't get back to you, Happy birthday!
thanks! i don't know about the jello....i've heard stuff about it...i'd just steer clear of all of it. unless of course, that's the best thing on your plate. but i've heard that hospital food is getting better lately? i'm not sure...maybe it just depends on the hospital

rg_girlca
07-15-2004, 09:47 PM
(((((((((((BIG CYBER HAND HOLD FOR YOU DAVID.))))))))))

But a gentle one, don't want you to have sugery for a crushed hand also.:eek:

I know you must be nervous, as anyone would be having to face surgery, but take deep breaths, and think how much better you will feel afterwards.
Wishing you all the best David and don't go running any marathons just yet okay.:D
Take care of yourself.

Twisterdog
07-15-2004, 10:17 PM
My aunt had both of her knees replaced when she was in her 70's. She is SO glad she did it.

Actually, I would give anything to switch places with you. My left knee is, in the words of my doctor, "mush". I SO need total replacement surgery, but there is no way I can even begin to afford that.

Best of luck.

Tonya
07-15-2004, 10:31 PM
Tonya, I want to get it done the sooner the better. I am SO SICK of the pain. It isn't going to be a picnic, but I'll get through. The worst part is going to be hospital food LOL.

You know, it just dawned on me...I was in the hospital for 3 days when I had my shoulder surgury, and I don't even recall eating hospital food. Must have blocked that trauma out of my mind!

carole
07-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Believe me when I say this David, I am all talk, I am the biggest scaredy cat out, especially when it comes to hospitals, having worked in one when I left school , a private surgical one, all I ever saw were hip and knee replacements, etc etc, and honestly David they have come a long way since then.

If the food is so bad, can someone bring you in some yummy delights, pity everyone did not live closer we on PT could all send you biscuits or cookies as you americans say, and all sorts of delights to wet your appetite.

Take much care, and hey 4th August is my wedding anniversary, I will be thinking of you.:)

Have you and Donna met yet? if not then WHY NOT?;) :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-15-2004, 11:11 PM
David, like everyone else is saying, the people I know who have had their knees replaced wonder why they waited so long. I'm sure it's scary and the rehab will not be fun, but it won't last forever and then you'll be better than new! You have to keep focusing on that part and before you know it it will be all over. I know, easy for me to say).

Here's (http://www.cashwicket.com/fun/bionic-man.htm) a link to some info on the first real bionic man. Yes, the series was based on a real guy. Quite interesting reading and I thought it might cheer you up a bit. :)

davidpizzica
07-16-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
(((((((((((BIG CYBER HAND HOLD FOR YOU DAVID.))))))))))

But a gentle one, don't want you to have sugery for a crushed hand also.:eek:

I know you must be nervous, as anyone would be having to face surgery, but take deep breaths, and think how much better you will feel afterwards.
Wishing you all the best David and don't go running any marathons just yet okay.:D
Take care of yourself. rg-girlca, there go my plans to enter the Boston marathon(sigh)

davidpizzica
07-16-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
You know, it just dawned on me...I was in the hospital for 3 days when I had my shoulder surgury, and I don't even recall eating hospital food. Must have blocked that trauma out of my mind! Gee, was it THAT terrible?

davidpizzica
07-16-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
David, like everyone else is saying, the people I know who have had their knees replaced wonder why they waited so long. I'm sure it's scary and the rehab will not be fun, but it won't last forever and then you'll be better than new! You have to keep focusing on that part and before you know it it will be all over. I know, easy for me to say).

Here's (http://www.cashwicket.com/fun/bionic-man.htm) a link to some info on the first real bionic man. Yes, the series was based on a real guy. Quite interesting reading and I thought it might cheer you up a bit. :) Thanks T & P. I really appreciate it!

jazzcat
07-16-2004, 12:58 AM
My Dad had a knee replacement in the fall of '98 and he did really well. The worst part for him and all the rest of us was the home physical therapy. I don't know why but he was extremely difficult to work with. That poor therapist was probably ready to shoot him. Keep in mind, he is a very stubborn man. Anyway, once the 'torture' of the therapy was over he finally admitted he wished had done it sooner. He now needs his other knee replaced but he won't do it because he's 82 years old, sick of doctors and hospitals and with his situation right now I'm not going to push it.

Best of luck to you and I hope you can get someone to smuggle in some real food for you.

Killearn Kitties
07-16-2004, 02:28 AM
I hope everything goes well for you. We'll all be thinking of you.

n bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbjffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
(He he - Samantha also says Good Luck! She is here at the keyboard with me and will anxiously await news.)

lynnestankard
07-16-2004, 02:44 AM
Hi David - in a way I'm glad to hear the news! At least it will stop the pain and you'll feel so much better - I know it's worrying for you - but with all P.T.er's out here cyber hand holding, praying like mad and generally sending lots of good vibes across the miles - it's all going to go well!! :D

Ina rush - waiting for a taxi to take me to visit my friend - the one who's had both knees done!! So it's going to be a week of lots of walking and no pain for her! Just keep your mind on that thought.

{{{Hugs}}} across the miles.

Lynne

ChrisH
07-16-2004, 06:49 AM
Good luck, David. And prayers and positive thoughts will be sent for all to go well.

Chris

p.s. Both my knees have started to give me gyp over the last 4/5 months. I have been taking glucosamine, chondroitin with MSM, for a couple of weeks now, and it has helped, but I guess knee surgery could be on the cards for me too sometime in the future.

gini
07-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Just think David - we can start with the Captain in Australia and Miss Meow - and then link up with Slick in Canada and head south to all of us on the west coast.

Then we can go east and connect all of the PT dots and on over to England with Lynne and Chris.

I think I can imagine a whole circle around you of Pet Talkers all saying prayers for a successful surgery with as little resulting pain for you as possible.

We can also pray that you will be pleasantly surprised and find the food just fantastic!

At any rate, we will all be praying for you - and you know by now that Pet Talk prayers have a way of being heard like no others.

I do think that Phred has a great idea about marking the knee that is to be replaced.

August 4th - we will all be on duty for you!

carole
07-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Gini you forgot me, lets start in NZ first ok lol.:p :D :) ;)

gini
07-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Ohhh, and I would never, ever forget New Zealand..............so yes, Carole, forgive me, and let's start the huge circle of prayers in New Zealand and end up in Ohio for David.

Thanks, Carole for reminding me, I didn't mean to ever ignore you!

carole
07-16-2004, 11:53 PM
You are forgiven Gini, He he lol.:) :D

davidpizzica
07-17-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by gini
Ohhh, and I would never, ever forget New Zealand..............so yes, Carole, forgive me, and let's start the huge circle of prayers in New Zealand and end up in Ohio for David.

Thanks, Carole for reminding me, I didn't mean to ever ignore you! Gini, you get hit with a wet noodle for leaving out New Zealand! Thanks everyone for the world wide support group!!

gini
07-17-2004, 12:42 AM
Aw, and I do deserve the wet noodle too.

slick
07-17-2004, 12:47 AM
And with the humidity up here, I feel like a wet noodle.....do I look like one???? :D :D

Sorry David, couldn't help myself. :rolleyes:

davidpizzica
07-17-2004, 12:47 AM
Aw, and I do deserve the wet noodle too. Gini, all you deserve to be is a real good friend! ((((HUGS))))

davidpizzica
07-17-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by slick
And with the humidity up here, I feel like a wet noodle.....do I look like one???? :D :D

Sorry David, couldn't help myself. :rolleyes: Slick you're allowed only one weird joke a night! But keep it up! I can use them !!

slick
07-17-2004, 12:54 AM
Slick you're allowed only one weird joke a night! But keep it up! I can use them !!
OK, one more.

Did you hear about the termite who went into the bar and asked "Where's the bartender?"

Think about it.....;)

gini
07-17-2004, 01:01 AM
Slick, it is 11 PM, and it is just too late for me to "think about that joke"...........................

I just don't get it.................and I am starting to feel very blonde instead of adorably grey:D :D

slick
07-17-2004, 01:03 AM
It's really a groaner and I would tell you but I think David is still pondering.....

gini
07-17-2004, 01:09 AM
David, when you figure it out could you let me know?:D

I just gotta get to bed!

Sleep tight everyone, don't let the bedbugs bite!

davidpizzica
07-17-2004, 01:11 AM
Slick, it is 11 PM, and it is just too late for me to "think about that joke"...........................

I just don't get it.................and I am starting to feel very blonde instead of adorably grey:D :D 11:00 isn't that late! She wants me to think about it at 2:00 in the morning!

davidpizzica
07-17-2004, 06:12 AM
I think that Nikki and Daisy seem to know that there is something the matter with their owner. They don't know what, but they seem extra attentive. do all cats do this?

moosmom
07-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Hey Davidp,

Also, think of the massages and sponge baths the nurses give!!! That's what my Dad always looked forward to. Of course, he did have sort of a sick sense of humor. Just trying to cheer you up! ;)

Randi
07-17-2004, 10:34 AM
David, I hope the surgery goes well - I'm sure it will! They have tons of experince on this kind of operation. ;) And just think about the pain free after. :)

I've heard that hospital food has improved considerably over the last decades. :D

I'll join hands with the rest from Denmark! :)

http://www.gifpix.de/gifbilder/Heande/00003974.gif http://www.gifpix.de/gifbilder/Heande/00003974.gif http://www.gifpix.de/gifbilder/Heande/00003974.gif

Best of luck!!

gini
07-17-2004, 11:18 AM
Boy, I left so many out of the circle of prayers for David - now I am in trouble in New Zealand and for sure I am also in trouble in Denmark!

And Spain - of course, I didn't mention Spain..........

ARRGGHHH

Please forgive me all!

Randi
07-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Gini, don't you worry, we all know your good intentions! :D You know, if the danes, swedes and germans went to Spain, we'd be reaching half way over the Atlantic. ;)

Albea
07-17-2004, 01:29 PM
David, you have a lot of sympathy from a fellow bionic person. I had my left knee replaced in March of 2001.
Don't worry too much about hospital food. To begin with, you won't feel very much like eating for a while, and then you'll be out of there in a couple of days. I had the surgery on Wednesday and was back home Sunday afternoon.
Make sure you do the therapy, as painful as it may be early on.
Best wishes for a quick recovery.

davidpizzica
07-17-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Hey Davidp,

Also, think of the massages and sponge baths the nurses give!!! That's what my Dad always looked forward to. Of course, he did have sort of a sick sense of humor. Just trying to cheer you up! ;) Donna, yes I am thinking of the massages and baths. Also the teasing of the nurses. Honey you just posting cheers me up!! I love you, Donna!! ((((HUGS)))) I wonder if everybody knows I love you?

rg_girlca
07-17-2004, 03:45 PM
Well we sure know now!!!!!:D :D

davidpizzica
07-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Randi
David, I hope the surgery goes well - I'm sure it will! They have tons of experince on this kind of operation. ;) And just think about the pain free after. :)

I've heard that hospital food has improved considerably over the last decades. :D

I'll join hands with the rest from Denmark! :)

http://www.gifpix.de/gifbilder/Heande/00003974.gif http://www.gifpix.de/gifbilder/Heande/00003974.gif http://www.gifpix.de/gifbilder/Heande/00003974.gif

Best of luck!! Randi, the last time I was in the hospital was ten years ago, and I wasn't allowed to eat! Also it will be interesting because I'm also diabetic! Maybe I won't have too much time to eat.

davidpizzica
07-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Albea
David, you have a lot of sympathy from a fellow bionic person. I had my left knee replaced in March of 2001.
Don't worry too much about hospital food. To begin with, you won't feel very much like eating for a while, and then you'll be out of there in a couple of days. I had the surgery on Wednesday and was back home Sunday afternoon.
Make sure you do the therapy, as painful as it may be early on.
Best wishes for a quick recovery. Albea, I plan to follow all instructions to the letter! It's just the waiting for it, and the not quite knowing what's going to happen that is getting me a little nervous. And you're right, I may be a little too busy to eat much. Thank you Albea. I guess I'm the second bionic PTer!

Killearn Kitties
07-17-2004, 04:35 PM
;) Hey, Gini, you left out Scotland as well! I wasn't holding it against you though!

davidpizzica
07-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Oh. everyone is SO good here!!! I want to give a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who has given me advice, well wishing, and general cheering up! PTers, YOU ARE THE GREATEST!!

slleipnir
07-17-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm not really sure what to say, but I hope everything goes super good and that you have a speedy recovery :)

davidpizzica
07-17-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
I'm not really sure what to say, but I hope everything goes super good and that you have a speedy recovery :) Slleipnir, thank you for those kind words. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.;)

davidpizzica
07-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Randi, the last time I was in the hospital was ten years ago, and I wasn't allowed to eat! Also it will be interesting because I'm also diabetic! Maybe I won't have too much time to eat. Randi,is Denmark a Lutheran country? I am Lutheran also. Maybe I'll get some good vibes.

davidpizzica
07-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
Well we sure know now!!!!!:D :D How did you guess???

Corinna
07-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Hey just think you'll be able to dance with Mario at Dicks Place on Thursdays. Maybe well have a dance-a-thon when you are ready. I claim one dance right now maybe the twist.
Just do what they tell you and get back on your feet. Prayers from Montana to you now and through the operation.

davidpizzica
07-17-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
Hey just think you'll be able to dance with Mario at Dicks Place on Thursdays. Maybe well have a dance-a-thon when you are ready. I claim one dance right now maybe the twist.
Just do what they tell you and get back on your feet. Prayers from Montana to you now and through the operation. Corinna, I'll even let Mario lead!! But I think he can out twist me.

carole
07-17-2004, 11:52 PM
Ok David now you have told the world (well PT at least) that you love Donna , What are you going to do about it? are you two ever going to meet, I am just an old-fashioned romantic at heart, I am sure everyone would just love a PT romance.

Aww Gini no-one is upset with you, its just we are so small here in NZ , we always get left out, and considered part of Aussie , WHICH WE ARE NOT,. lol, everyone is just joshing with you sweetie.

Isn't it great that David has all these well wishes from across the world, the power of PT is so strong David, I am certain everything will go just fine and you will be up and about in no time, painfree at long last.

davidpizzica
07-18-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by carole
Ok David now you have told the world (well PT at least) that you love Donna , What are you going to do about it? are you two ever going to meet, I am just an old-fashioned romantic at heart, I am sure everyone would just love a PT romance.

Aww Gini no-one is upset with you, its just we are so small here in NZ , we always get left out, and considered part of Aussie , WHICH WE ARE NOT,. lol, everyone is just joshing with you sweetie.

Isn't it great that David has all these well wishes from across the world, the power of PT is so strong David, I am certain everything will go just fine and you will be up and about in no time, painfree at long last. Carole, Donna and I are going to meet, but right now we both live paycheck to paycheck and neither of us can afford the trip.But later on down the road, (when I'm healed) I'll begin to make plans to take a drive (a four hour trip) to Detroit to see her. Carole, never underestimate the power of PT!

Randi
07-18-2004, 06:16 AM
David, keep your spirits high - we'll all be rooting for you and sending lots of good vibes! :) The power of PT WILL work! :D

I don't know much about religion, but about 95% of the Danes are Lutherans; the rest are of other Christian denominations or muslims. We all get along OK - more or less.

jonza
07-18-2004, 06:53 AM
Wishing you all the best with the operation David! :) :)

… is Denmark a Lutheran country?
Denmark is mainly Lutheran, but it seems they have a naughty minister in the flock!
We're pretty used to politicians not agreeing nowadays, but this is a new twist. A Lutheran minister who doesn't believe in God - typically Danish! But they mean well. ;)

Doubting Danish Minister Faces Discipline
By JAN M. OLSEN

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) - The Danish government Monday upheld the clerical suspension of a Lutheran minister who proclaimed last year that there was no God or afterlife, and he now could be fired or fined for declaring his beliefs in the pulpit.

The government said it backed the June 10 decision by Helsingoer Bishop Lise-Lotte Rebel who suspended the Rev. Thorkild Grosboell, pastor of Taarbaek, preaching his unconventional beliefs at his church.
Grosboell, who could not immediately be reached for comment, face a disciplinary labor court hearing with two theologians and a presiding judge, who will decide his punishment - dismissal or a fine.

In a statement, Justice Minister Lene Espersen said Monday that Grosboell "had damaged the state (Evangelical Lutheran) Church ... and had not shown loyalty to the state Church.''
She said the court hearing, which is rare in Denmark, would be held sometime after Sept. 1. No date was set. If Grosboell is fined or fired, he would be allowed to appeal the decision to a judicial court.

In Denmark, Lutheran ministers are employed by the state. Only the government can fire them or send them before a court hearing and only with a recommendation from their presiding bishop. Rebel oversees the diocese that includes Taarbaek, a small town north of Copenhagen.

Grosboell has been under Rebel's strict supervision since he first was suspended after a May 2003 interview in which he said "there is no heavenly God, there is no eternal life, there is no resurrection.''

About 85 percent of Danes belong to the state Evangelical Lutheran Church, though just 5 percent attend church services regularly.

Grosboell eventually retracted his statement and apologized for what Rebel had termed "provocative'' remarks. His suspension was lifted.
But in a May 16 sermon, Grosboell said that "God had abdicated in favor of his son, hence in our favor. Therefore there is no longer a heavenly guarantee or an interfering might, there is only the godly kingdom (on earth) that is achieved by us and between us. So if it fails, there is nothing.''

In June, Rebel said that sermon was "clearly incompatible with the state church's faith,'' and added that he had "spoken in a strongly provocative, hurting and confusing way.''

davidpizzica
07-18-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by jonza
Wishing you all the best with the operation David! :) :)

Denmark is mainly Lutheran, but it seems they have a naughty minister in the flock!
We're pretty used to politicians not agreeing nowadays, but this is a new twist. A Lutheran minister who doesn't believe in God - typically Danish! But they mean well. ;)

Doubting Danish Minister Faces Discipline
By JAN M. OLSEN

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) - The Danish government Monday upheld the clerical suspension of a Lutheran minister who proclaimed last year that there was no God or afterlife, and he now could be fired or fined for declaring his beliefs in the pulpit.

The government said it backed the June 10 decision by Helsingoer Bishop Lise-Lotte Rebel who suspended the Rev. Thorkild Grosboell, pastor of Taarbaek, preaching his unconventional beliefs at his church.
Grosboell, who could not immediately be reached for comment, face a disciplinary labor court hearing with two theologians and a presiding judge, who will decide his punishment - dismissal or a fine.

In a statement, Justice Minister Lene Espersen said Monday that Grosboell "had damaged the state (Evangelical Lutheran) Church ... and had not shown loyalty to the state Church.''
She said the court hearing, which is rare in Denmark, would be held sometime after Sept. 1. No date was set. If Grosboell is fined or fired, he would be allowed to appeal the decision to a judicial court.

In Denmark, Lutheran ministers are employed by the state. Only the government can fire them or send them before a court hearing and only with a recommendation from their presiding bishop. Rebel oversees the diocese that includes Taarbaek, a small town north of Copenhagen.

Grosboell has been under Rebel's strict supervision since he first was suspended after a May 2003 interview in which he said "there is no heavenly God, there is no eternal life, there is no resurrection.''

About 85 percent of Danes belong to the state Evangelical Lutheran Church, though just 5 percent attend church services regularly.

Grosboell eventually retracted his statement and apologized for what Rebel had termed "provocative'' remarks. His suspension was lifted.
But in a May 16 sermon, Grosboell said that "God had abdicated in favor of his son, hence in our favor. Therefore there is no longer a heavenly guarantee or an interfering might, there is only the godly kingdom (on earth) that is achieved by us and between us. So if it fails, there is nothing.''

In June, Rebel said that sermon was "clearly incompatible with the state church's faith,'' and added that he had "spoken in a strongly provocative, hurting and confusing way.'' Now that is pretty odd! I have never heard of a Lutheran Minister not believing in God! I just wonder where he gets his ideas? BTW, jonza, thanks for the well wishing. I can use every bit of it!

AmberLee
07-18-2004, 07:04 PM
David, good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

Purrs and headbumpies from Cassy and Livvy, too.

davidpizzica
07-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
David, good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

Purrs and headbumpies from Cassy and Livvy, too. Well, Amberlee, I'm starting to get more apprehensive as
it gets closer. I know that this a major operation, but I guess I'm thinking about it too much. Cassy and Livvy, thanks for the headbumps and purrs. Scrinches back to you!

NoahsMommy
07-19-2004, 01:18 AM
David,

I wish you lots of luck and a super speedy recovery. Surgery and hospital are no fun, but if the end result takes your pain away, it'll be worth it.

Just be sure you have a strong family presence while you're in the hospital. That always helps get what you want and need. Maybe I can convince my mom to do that part...she's excellent in the "patient advocate" role. ;)

My good friend had a hip replacement last September. He is in such wonderful shape now as he made sure and did his physical therapy and was motivate. I think having a good attitude got him where he's at now. (He does spinning at the gym 4 times a week, at 63!!) That is my wish for you...to be even better with your new bionic knee then you ever where with your 'real' one. :D

Take care. We're here to motivate and do what we can.

:)

Lillycat
07-20-2004, 08:19 AM
as the time gets closer, one tends to think about it more.....but the good news is as the time gets closer, it is that much sooner till it is all behind you! take care, think of how much better off you will be when it is all over! look at all the loving support you have here at pt and be comforted!

davidpizzica
07-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Lillycat
as the time gets closer, one tends to think about it more.....but the good news is as the time gets closer, it is that much sooner till it is all behind you! take care, think of how much better off you will be when it is all over! look at all the loving support you have here at pt and be comforted! Thank you for the kind words, Lillycat. Everyone here at PT are the greatest! Talk about a support group, WOW!

momoffuzzyfaces
07-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Well, wishes and speedy recovery hopes are flying your way from me too.

With my arthritis, that's something I may have to consider some day. I refuse though, because they would have to replace darn near every joint in my body!

Want Mario to save you some blueberries?:eek: :D

davidpizzica
07-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
Well, wishes and speedy recovery hopes are flying your way from me too.

With my arthritis, that's something I may have to consider some day. I refuse though, because they would have to replace darn near every joint in my body!

Want Mario to save you some blueberries?:eek: :D Does he have any left over? I'll take whatever he's got LOL I only have one joint affected, so far!!

Albea
07-20-2004, 01:21 PM
David, one more word of wisdom from a fellow bionic person: make sure that you have somebody with you for 24 hours a day, at least for a week, once you get back home. It doesn't matter how much the doctors tell you you'll be up and running in no time, it isn't true. I don't know if you'll go to a rehab center before you go home, I didn't, and I had to have somebody here because with all the nurses to give injections, therapists, etc., somebody had to open the door for them.
Once again, best wishes for a very quick recovery.
If there's anything else you want to ask, send me a PM.

Alicia

davidpizzica
07-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Albea
David, one more word of wisdom from a fellow bionic person: make sure that you have somebody with you for 24 hours a day, at least for a week, once you get back home. It doesn't matter how much the doctors tell you you'll be up and running in no time, it isn't true. I don't know if you'll go to a rehab center before you go home, I didn't, and I had to have somebody here because with all the nurses to give injections, therapists, etc., somebody had to open the door for them.
Once again, best wishes for a very quick recovery.
If there's anything else you want to ask, send me a PM.

Alicia Albea, how long did you stay in the hospital? I seem to get various answers from various people anywhere from 2 days to 6 days. My brother says 2 days because he thinks they want you out of there as soon as possible!

lbaker
07-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Too bad Donna doesn't live closer to you, I'm sure she would make a kind, caring, attentive nurse and round the clock care probably wouldn't be a trial either ;) ;) :o Chin up buddy, won't be long now. Support group is right and you deserve it all!
Laurie

davidpizzica
07-20-2004, 03:19 PM
Laurie, you are SO right! Gee, if she only were closer! Also, NOBODY can beat the support system we have at PT! EVERYBODY here is making it more bearable and less frightening. I'm going to PM Albea to give me ALOT of tips and about what to expect. Thanks, Laurie!

Randi
07-21-2004, 07:52 AM
David, keep your chin up, in a months time, it will over and you'll feel a lot better! :)

Try some of these to make the waiting bearable. ;)

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/category/diabetic.html

davidpizzica
07-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Randi
David, keep your chin up, in a months time, it will over and you'll feel a lot better! :)

Try some of these to make the waiting bearable. ;)

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/category/diabetic.html Randi, thank you for the recipies. I'll do anything to cut through this waiting! Daisy is doing her part by curling up beside me. Also Nikki in her own way. They know that there something different going on! Cats are pretty smart!

captain
07-21-2004, 07:46 PM
David,

Technically, PT will be your "Crutch" when you have a new knee ...:D

Randi, that site is useful. My Dad is Diabetic, and I will send those receipes to my Mum.

davidpizzica
07-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by captain
David,

Technically, PT will be your "Crutch" when you have a new knee ...:D

Randi, that site is useful. My Dad is Diabetic, and I will send those receipes to my Mum. Boy, what a crutch it is going to be!!

lbaker
07-21-2004, 07:57 PM
What a beautiful thought about being a "Crutch" Michelle. You guys have been my Crutch several times and I do believe we all have stood up and been counted when a helping hand is in order. What a crew :cool: What did Tiny Tim say? "doG bless us all, one and all".

davidpizzica
07-21-2004, 08:32 PM
PTers are fantastic!! I just wish that they had the internet in the hospital! I have never seen a group like this where everyone would rally around someone who is having a difficult time. I want to thank from the bottom of my heart every PTer out there!! You have NO IDEA what this means to me. THANK YOU THANK YOU THNAK YOU!!!!!

Cinder & Smoke
07-21-2004, 09:07 PM

... stay in the hospital?
I seem to get various answers from various people -
anywhere from 2 days to 6 days.

My brother says 2 days
because he thinks they want you out of there
as soon as possible!

Your Brother is 100% Correct! on the "OUT" ASAP!

All depends on >

1) WHO's paying for it - Insurance Companies want you "out"
almost before the operation is over!

2) What you Doctor says

3) AND what the Hospital Physical Therapy Doc says.

You might want to look into staying at a Nursing Home - as
SOON as you can be released from the Hospital.
but HAS to be a facility that has a GOOD Physical Therapy Department!

When Mom was in the Nursing Home Wing of the Village -
there were TWO Folks from outside the Village that "paid their way"
into the Nursing wing JUST so they had round-the-clock "assistance"
AND access to the Excellent in-house Physical Therapy Dept that
the Village contracted to provide for Village Residents.

"Nursing Homes" are NOT cheap - but they are a HECK-of-a-lot
"cheaper" than staying in a Hospital!

Another option is to hire a Private Duty "Nursing Assistant" -
they are one step below a NURSE; but are trained to provide
personal care and limited medical treatments.

/s/ Phred

Albea
07-22-2004, 10:13 AM
Albea, how long did you stay in the hospital? I seem to get various answers from various people anywhere from 2 days to 6 days. My brother says 2 days because he thinks they want you out of there as soon as possible!

David,
I had surgery on a Wednesday morning and got back home on Sunday after lunch, that's four days. The surgeon gave me the option of going to a rehabilitation center, but I would not hear of it. Four days away from home and my pup were enough.
Phred and your brother are right, the insurance companies want you out of the hospital as soon as possible. In same cases they will pay if you go to a rehab center, try to find out from your insurance if that is the case with you.
Because I came home, my insurance paid for visiting nurses, therapists and all the other things I needed, like the walker. I paid for two people to take turns being with me 24 hours a day for the first week.
As much as we all want to be helpful here, I think, as I told you in my PM, that you should ask your doctor many more questions. He's the one who will decide how long you'll stay in the hospital and what the follow up will be. Did you get my PM?
Anything else you may want to ask me, I'm here to answer.

davidpizzica
07-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Yes, Albea, I read your PM and it was helpful. I am going to ask the doctor more questions. I was on the phone with a buddy last night who just had this done and he said that because I live alone that they more than likely will send me to a rehab`center.I guess if I had someone at the house, they would send me home.

gini
07-22-2004, 11:39 AM
David, this just might be the best thing for you, because they will make you do everything that you need to do to rehabilitate that knee.

Soon, you will be running around the house!!!:D :D

lbaker
07-22-2004, 11:44 AM
........and doing the Limbo with Mario~

davidpizzica
07-22-2004, 12:25 PM
David, this just might be the best thing for you, because they will make you do everything that you need to do to rehabilitate that knee.

Soon, you will be running around the house!!!:D :D Gini, my goal when I get this all fixed is to start bowling again! I CAN'T WAIT!! I have been bowling in a church league for twenty years and I MISS IT! WAH WAH! Plus I'll limbo Mario into the ground!