PDA

View Full Version : Do cats personalities change as they get older?

Sia1
07-05-2001, 09:23 PM
My little orange tabby girl was the sweetest kitten! We got her at the age of about six weeks and she would cry if we left the room without her. However, when she reached the age of about seven months, I began to notice that she wasn't as sweet anymore. Now I'm lucky if I get to pet her ten minutes a day (she's a year and a half now). My other two cats, whom I did not raise but got when they were a year old, are the gentlest and move loving creatures. I was there when they were born and helped take care of them until they were weaned from their mother. They were sweet as kittens and have remained the same over the past three years. I was just wondering if it was something that I possibly did or is that just my orange girl's nature? She gets along great with her "siblings" and she is normally a great cat...just no affection! :(

4 feline house
07-06-2001, 10:22 PM
Cats' personalities can change, but it's usually for the better unless they've been abused, which I'm sure is not your cat's problem. The only other thing I can guess is that bringing the other two kitties in has make her not as dependent on her people? It's not clear from your post if the other two kitties came into the home at the same time your kitty started to grow distant. I'm interested in hearing anyone else's theories and experiences.

shais_mom
07-07-2001, 12:31 AM
My cousin's wife has had a dog and a cat for about 8-9 years. Gus the cat was a nice kitten, and very loving towards the dog Toby, she said. Now he is like a mountain lion, very distant, doesn't like Men, and only tolerates the dog. Who knows what goes in their heads!!

TheAntiPam
07-07-2001, 01:25 AM
I noticed a similar change, Sia1. My cat, Daisy, started as an affectionate kitten. But as she got to be an adult, she became more of a hunter and interested in things other than people. She would run up and "check in" with me for a couple minutes, then go off on her own for hours.

My impression is that it might have to do with being an adult female cat. Nature makes them hunters and providers, even if they don't have kittens. If she is in her full adult years (1 yr to 6 or 7 or more), she might be the lioness, rather than the cuddle kitty.

As long as she is not destructive, and has been spayed, she will still be a loving part of the family, on HER terms! :cool: Best wishes to you and your fur babies!

Sia1
07-07-2001, 01:06 PM
I guess Callie did start to change after we made it apparent that the other two kitties were here for good. At first I was worried they wouldn't get along, but now, I think she prefers their company over mind. Thank goodness! She does come lay on me if I'm on the computer (competition..hehe) but other than that, it's a rare instance she'll make any notion to come get love. Has anyone else has this experience?