PDA

View Full Version : BUMBLES!!! I have a Bumble Bee...and others with CH!

QueenScoopalot
07-14-2004, 09:05 PM
http://www.eastbayri.com/story/280913444469680.php

Barrington's cat on wheels is at home at veterinary clinic
BARRINGTON - A fellow new to town has stolen four Barrington ladies' hearts. He's trim and sociable and has steel-grey hair. His name is Bumbles, and he's a domestic short-haired cat that relies on a small aluminum cart to help him get around. "He is unbelievably gorgeous," said Dr. Lynn Anne Evans of Barrington Veterinary Clinic, one of the ladies smitten with the silver and black tiger striped cat. Lisa Serio, Sherri St. Angelo and Stacey Wright, technicians at BVC, are the three other women who've fallen for the feline.

Bumbles has called the Barrington Veterinary Clinic home since last November, when a Barrington resident found him on a curbside and delivered him there. He was three weeks old and weighed one pound.

Bumbles's cart has been customized with a blue neoprene waist wrap, red-taping, and American flags.

Upon Bumbles' arrival, it was apparent something was wrong with him. When trying to move around, he would take a step, then fall, take another step, then fall again. Bumbles couldn't walk.

Dr. Lynn Anne Evans of the Barrington Veterinary Clinic diagnosed Bumbles with cerebellar hypoplasia; cats with the condition are missing part of the brain that controls balance. Apart from a lack of control over movement, they are normal animals.

"It [cerebellar hypoplasia] is not that common," said Dr. Evans. "We see a case maybe every year or two." And of the few cases she has seen, most are mild. Bumbles, on the other hand, has a severe case.

Because of this, Dr. Evans warned the staff at BVC to stay unattached to Bumbles during his first days with them. His immobility was so bad she wasn't sure he would ever be able to eat or use a litter box — making it difficult for him to survive as a pet.

But Bumbles showed a determination to prove otherwise.

"He ate on his own, he drank on his own, and he used to the litter box on his first day [at the clinic]," said Lisa Serio.

After three months, the clinic decided to order an aluminum cart, similar to a support walker, to help Bumbles be more self-sufficient and to get exercise. The cart, which came from K-9 Cart company and cost around $300, was customized based on video footage of Bumbles' movement.

Bumbles initially resisted his cart, but with perseverance, he learned how to use it.

"He was all over [the clinic] like a maniac man," said Sherri St. Angelo.

Bumbles spends five hours a day in his cart, moving from the sunlit reception area to the kennel rooms and the examining rooms. He's so comfortable in it, says the staff, he'll park himself in the sun and take mid-afternoon naps, just like any other cat.

"He has an admirable spirit," said Dr. Evans of Bumbles. "He teaches that you can have a pet that doesn't have physical perfection and still have a loving pet."

Home sweet home

Bumbles lives at the Barrington Veterinary clinic on Waseca Avenue, but technician Lisa Serio looks after Bumbles at her home when the office is closed. When not in his cart, Bumbles is most comfortable in a kennel crate. The crate is lined with sheeps' wool padding and there is a litter box in the back. Bumbles leans against dishes for support when he eats and drinks. In order to keep him from tipping or spilling food or water, the BVC staff fastened Bumbles' food and water bowls to the kennel door.

Modified ride

Bumbles' cart has been adjusted since it came to the Barrington Veterinary Clinic from the K-9 Cart company. A bright blue neoprene wrap, which fits around Bumbles' mid-section, was added to help him stay snug in his cart. Barrington Veterinary Clinic staff also wrapped red vet-wrap, a bandage for animals, around the front and back bars of the cart to prevent Bumbles from marking the walls during spin-outs or speedy commutes. A small Rhode Island vanity plate, reading "Bumbles," hangs from the back of his cart, as do two American flags — in honor of the upcoming July 4 holiday.

christa
07-14-2004, 09:16 PM
OMG!!! What a sweetheart!!! That makes me wanna cry!

Edwina's Secretary
07-14-2004, 09:21 PM
What an incredible story!

QueenScoopalot
07-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Click on the link to see the gorgeous silver tabby! :D

rg_girlca
07-14-2004, 09:25 PM
What a heartwarming and incredible story.

Steffi N
07-14-2004, 09:33 PM
What a heartwarming story. Bumbles is beautiful and brave.

Grace
07-14-2004, 09:52 PM
Barrington, RHODE ISLAND!!

I love stories from *home* - from Little Rhody.

This is so cool - one lucky cat. I wonder if he participated in the Bristol 4th of July Parade.

Thanks for the link.

catcrazylady
07-15-2004, 05:48 AM
OMG!!! Isn't itamazing how well the handicats adjust and still have a wonderful life?! He is an incredibly handsome kitty and I'm so glad he went to a vet who didn't think he should be put down! These animals have so much to teach us!!!

Laura's Babies
07-15-2004, 06:30 AM
YOu are so right Lisa! We have things to learn from all of them, especially that handicaped ones. It is wonderful that the vet was caring enough to keep Bumbles and then to order him a "walker". That is really a heart touching story and it is clear to me that Bumbles was created to teach us all a wonderful lesson..

catlover4ever
07-15-2004, 07:25 AM
What a wonderful, heart-warming story and right in the next state over from me. I love it when stories like this are close to home. I have seen these K-9 carts advertised in Cat Fancy magazine and when my mom's Figaro had been hurt I was telling her about maybe having to get Fig's one of these...but he ended up fully recovered. Thanks for sharing this wonderful story. :) :)

aguu
07-15-2004, 08:44 AM
What a wonderful, touching story.

catmandu
07-15-2004, 08:54 AM
That is an amzing story,and if someone can get me an address,for Bumbles Cat,thenThe Found Cats will send Him,An AWA Mouse! We love Bumbles!

QueenScoopalot
07-15-2004, 09:37 AM
I have a gorgeous blue-point siamese X "Eli" aka "The Rocket Powered Rubber Flounder" who was very bad getting from point "A" to point "B" as a kitten. I worked every day by repeating certain moving of his legs to teach him to extend his legs away from his body, so he could balance. Eli is very smart and caught on quickly! He is a very messy eater and will grab a mouthful of wet food of the plate and then chicken peck it into the rug. He has come a long way from the day I got the tiny pussy-willow! He knows from one time of falling down the stairs (carpeted) that they are to be avoided...he sits a safe distance away and watches the others. He has knocked a few teeth out by crashing into things, but otherwise has built up muscles enough to propel himself from room to room....and there's no stopping him then! He is like a freight train when he sets up to go. A drunken freight train LOL!:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-15-2004, 10:38 AM
What a great story! It's so wonderful when people give these special kitties the chance they deserve. :)

I had a funny mental image though. They said he'll park himself in front of the window and then take a nap in the sun. Awwww....but how does he take a nap? I can just see this limp kitty hanging from the little harness thingy, all stretched out and soaking up the sun like he doesn't have a care in the world. ;) :D

Barbara
07-15-2004, 11:01 AM
He's so handsome. You wouldn't believe he is such a sick kitty. I am happy that he has a chance to live:D

QueenScoopalot
07-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Barbara
He's so handsome. You wouldn't believe he is such a sick kitty. I am happy that he has a chance to live:D Only special needs Barbara...not sick. ;) ;) ;)