PDA

View Full Version : I've made the decision to stop breeding

luckies4me
07-14-2004, 10:52 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I have made my final decision in regards to my rats. Though I love having babies to play with and raise and improving rats as a whole I feel at this time in my life and for the welfare of rats it be best that I take a break from breeding and focus more on my rescue. There are many animals in need of homes out there and I just cannot stand the thought of bringing more animals into this life when there are already many awesome dedicated breeders out there doing the same thing. The lack of me getting new lines is another thing I considered as I at this time cannot travel very far for new rats, and there are not many breeders in my area at all. I think it's time I just sit back and relax and enjoy my rats are rats, just that, my pets and not breeders.

The loss of my Bandit (passed away a week ago) has left me in a state of shock after he died in my arms due to Myco related symptoms. He was having a very hard time breathing when I got home from work. I knew that I would not be able to get him into the ER clinic in time, so I held him in my arms for awhile all the time praying to God to take him quickly so he could stop suffering. It has been an on going battle with Myco with Bandit and even meds did not seem to have any effect, and with his getting up there in age it eventually just grabbed hold and wouldn't let go. I stroked his ears for a little while but he looked uncomfortable so I played him with a towel in a little box. I went to walk away for a couple of seconds and that fast he was gone. It was only about 5 minutes but god it seemed like an eternity. :( :( :(

Now with Wrinkles ailing health and me having to face a hard decision regarding euthanasia I don't think I can handle anymore ratties passing on. I will be finding homes for my younger rats that can be used as breeders and the babies I still have from the last litter born here, which was from the Russian blue doe that came to me pregnant. I will keep my older rats and just enjoy them as pets. I want to spoil them rotten for the rest of the time they have here on earth and I want to just enjoy it, and enjoy them. I don't think I will be adding more rats to my household for some time.

I've contacted my friend who I got some breeder rats from and she said she would take them back when she can. These are breeding quality rats in my opinion so I would really like to see them be bred. Mocha is a very sweet rat who I think could really contribute personality wise to rat breeding, though I am unsure if I can let her leave. With Wrinkles on her way out I think I will just keep her, though I have not made my final decision on that yet. ALL of my older rats will be staying with me, the ones that I bred or ones that I aquired strictly for pets, as they are very bonded with me as I am them, and with the other rats that they live with, hence another reason I would have a hard time placing Mocha with her breeder.

Another thing I considered was the fact that I work at a petstore, Petco, and while we take fantastic care of our animals I would like to take home rescues when needed without having to worry about bringing home illnesses to babies and having to place those babies, as that IMHO is just not a good thing to be doing. I do not want to risk spreading disease through the rat population. I want to be able to focus more on my rescue work and be able to bring home animals in need of loving care until I find them homes. Though most of my animals will come into my work as donations, I still get plenty of animals from outside sources such as friends and family members.

I'll be going back to get my license for wildlife rehabilitation of small mammals as well, as this is something that I have been wanting to do again for some time, as my exotic rescue. I take in rescues reguarly but I really want to make this my main focus.

Another thing is that I want to be very active in raising Freckles and would like to see her in either Agility or Flyball and this takes time. With Freckles and rescues I do not believe I would have the amount of time needed to properly socialize young rats. Contrary to what some think, rats need much more attention than even my Puppy! You HAVE to spend time with them to keep them happy, and I do not want to neglect them. I just don't see the point in bringing more lives into the world when there are so many out there in need of homes. Our local Humane Society just took in 16 rats from just one owner and we are always having problems with rats in need of homes in our area, so why breed more?

luckies4me
07-14-2004, 10:58 AM
So ya anyways LOL, my point is I think it would be highly irresponsible of myself to keep breeding at this point. I want to make sure my current pets have it all, as in spoiled rotten as well as just focus on rescue. There are many cats here that have recently been dropped off and I'd like to try to trap them and get them vaccinated, tamed, fixed etc. and find them homes. Rat politics are rather draining and I'd like to avoid the nonsense of that as well. So I think I am rather proud of my decision. I think it's better to just enjoy my current rat population and maybe in a few years after things are settled here (as in I own my own home and have finished school) I may contemplate breeding again, but there would have to be a considerable shortage of rescues in the area. I will be getting my rescue site up shortly, Bengals and Buddies and applying on Petfinder.com as well. Wish us luck! :)

Logan
07-14-2004, 11:02 AM
I think you have made a very wise and mature decision, Cass. I don't know how you have time for all you do already! These baby Cockatiels have been so much fun, but I do not want to be a breeder for the same reasons you mentioned. If it were my "fulltime" job, I might have a different attitude, but worrying about their care and making sure they get to the right homes where they will be loved as we would love them is of the utmost concern, isn't it?

For that reason, I have taken the two newest eggs away from Milly this week. :(

luckies4me
07-14-2004, 11:07 AM
Logan I am very lucky to have the time I do for the things I enjoy, that being my pets. I am basically a stay at home mom and have been since Dylan was born, though I do work Part time weeknights and weekends. Luckily I have a great boyfriend who spends quality time with my pets while I am away. I have also been offered a higher paying job at work as the head small animal person and my pay would go up to 10 dollars an hour to start, and I really do not want to deny myself this opportunity, as it would give me a great deal more amount of money to go towards my animals, as that is really all I spend my money on. :p

There is a certain level of commitment you make when you breed rats, and if you are not going to commit 100% then you shouldn't be doing it at all, and with me wanting to go back to school and take this new position at work, I do not see myself putting 100% into it.

The hard thing though and the thing that really made me make this decision was losing Bandit. He was very special to me, and it broke my heart to lose him. :(

cloverfdx
07-14-2004, 11:07 AM
Wow sounds like you have everything planned. I wish you luck in all that you do in the future. :D It sounds as though you are going to be busy with rescue and that is great.

Once again goodluck and please keep us posted on all of your babies. :)

luckies4me
07-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Thanks! :D

I am indeed very busy. I just took in a hamster mom who have birth to 12 stillborn babies and two live babies who has been here a week and recently took in three mice to handraise from one week of age (plump as plums now I might add) as well as taking care of my baby sparrow and training her for outside release. It's very time consuming but I wouldn't change it for the world! :D

In fact, I plan on updating about my rescues later on today. :) So make sure to keep an eye out in Pet General. ;)

luckies4me
07-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Bump!

Thought I'd get more replies than that LOL! :p

Aspen and Misty
07-14-2004, 01:15 PM
::cass:: I think you made a wonderful chioce!

I know your ratties will love to be spoiled :)

ash

Logan
07-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Bump!

Thought I'd get more replies than that LOL! :p

It's only been a couple of hours since you posted. I'm sure others will respond later.

davidpizzica
07-14-2004, 01:42 PM
Cass, I'm glad
that you've come to that decision. I'm also glad that you will start rescuing cats. good luck to you.

dappledoxie
07-14-2004, 07:44 PM
I wish you the best, I too think you made a good decision, I'm sure it wasn't easy but at least you know what to do and what's best for the animals.

NoahsMommy
07-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Cass,

I agree with everything Logan said. This was a mature decision and I agree with your reasons. I'm sure it was very hard to come to, you're very good with your breeding and love what you've done.

You've taught me a lot about rats and how CUTE and WONDERFUL they really are. Even though you are stopping because of the amount of homeless rats, I've bet your threads here have caused many people to get them as pets.

:)