PDA

View Full Version : Jake's not eating

stacwase
07-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Jake's appetite has been decreasing. He used to be a real pig - but now he doesn't even eat 1/2 cup of food per day.

Yesterday he vomited twice - just clear bile.

I had him at the vet for a complete checkup just a month or so ago, and everything looked fine. His teeth were OK.

As far as I can tell, he hasn't lost weight. I would think that he was just finding better food somewhere else somehow, except that when he threw up there weren't any chunks in it.

Is this just something that happens as a dog ages? Should I be worried?

Should I try cooking him up something more flavorful?

micki76
07-14-2004, 10:33 AM
Chester and tubby Millie have cut back since the weather got warmer. Maybe he's just naturally cutting back now that it's warmer?

Chester's appetite has always varied from week to week and month to month.

I'm confused though, how would he find better food elsewhere? :confused:

swimma253
07-14-2004, 10:34 AM
well, sometimes Meeka will eat a ton, and sometimes she just doesnt feel good, so she eats very little... you should check to see if he is eating grass because if he is, then that means he doesnt feel good and that is why he is throwing up... hope this helps, and I hope Jake feels better soon... and try not to worry too much!

stacwase
07-14-2004, 11:23 AM
I'm taking him to the vet at 1:45. He just looked at his food and started couging. He didn't even get close to it.

stacwase
07-14-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by micki76
I'm confused though, how would he find better food elsewhere? :confused:

The garbage - but I haven't been cleaning up a lot of garbage lately so I don't think that's it. We're really careful to rinse cans, etc. before we put them in the garbage.

Or the neighbor might be giving him treats. I found jerky treats in his pen one day, which I hadn't given him.

Sometimes the kids sneak things to him, too.

I don't think that's it, though - normally he would eat his dinner even if he'd had treats.

Oh JEEZ! He just puked again! He just drank a little water and threw up.

dukedogsmom
07-14-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm glad you're taking him to the vet. Could be from eating that plant a few days ago. I hope he's going to be alright. Let us know what the vet says, ok? Give Jake a hug from me.

stacwase
07-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Sorry to keep posting - but what do you think it could be? He just looks at food and starts to act like he's going to throw up.

You know - when we got back from Arkansas we thought it looked like Max had gained a lot of weight. The kids said "Well it's because he eats all of his food plus half of Jakes!"

We thought Jake was just being a slow eater, but now I think maybe his appetite was decreasing even then.

Last night we locked Max in his crate and left Jake's food out all night long, thinking he'd eat a little, but he didn't even touch it.

What are the signs of diabetes?

MariaM
07-14-2004, 11:40 AM
Hmm I don't know. When I was taking care of my aunt's dog, Oscar, in St. Louis. He started coughing up clear stuff and I just thought because he was drinking his water so fast. But when we came home one time there was puke all over the kitchen floor and it smelled bad, we saw some grass and cardboard in it. He didn't feel well at all and we phoned his vet. He said not to feed him anything that night so we didn't...in the morning we fed himi though and he was so excited lol, maybe there is something that Jake is trying to cough up but its not there yet...maybe he does need some grass just to get it out, if there is anything:confused:

swimma253
07-14-2004, 11:43 AM
good point ^^^^^ maybe there is somthing he is trying to cough up but cant quite get it out....in that case, grass will difenately do the trick...

stacwase
07-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
I'm glad you're taking him to the vet. Could be from eating that plant a few days ago. I hope he's going to be alright. Let us know what the vet says, ok? Give Jake a hug from me.

Well - it was Max who ate the plant. But now that you mention it, it's possible Jake could have eaten some, too. He wasn't acting like Max, though. Plus belladonna reduces nausea (I only know that because we give it in the ER).

I hope she takes this seriously.

Yeah - maybe you all are right and there's just something in his throat that he needs to cough up. Maybe I should bring him out to where there's a lot of long grass!

dukedogsmom
07-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Here's a link I found. It says they usually drink more water and urinate more.
http://www.pgaa.com/canine/health/diabetes.html
I hope he's going to be ok and hope it's not pancreaitis.

stacwase
07-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the link. I hope it's not pancreatitis, too!

I don't know what's the matter with me - but I'm freaking out over this.

It's just that, when I stop and think, I can think of lots of things that say that maybe he's been sick a while.

The other day we took him out to the farm and he had diarrhea all over himself. It was really bad - we had to give him a bath. But it was just once, and Max had had it a week before so we weren't too worried.

And there have been other instances when he threw up, but just once here and there mostly when we were late feeding him.

Pam
07-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Oh dear! :( Poor Jake. I just read this now and I imagine you haven't come home from the vet's yet. Please let us know how Jake is as soon as you can.

dukedogsmom
07-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Forget what I said about him eating something a few days ago. I was on my lunch break and realised that was Max :P Let us know when you can what the vet said.

stacwase
07-14-2004, 02:46 PM
We're back. :(

He was dehydrated, and he has lost 3.6 lbs in 2 months. That's a lot considering his size - 8% of his body weight. He's so furry I couldn't see it, though I though he felt a little thinner.

She gave him 2L of fluids subcutaneously and gave him an injection for the vomiting, and did some labs. We won't have the results of the labs until tomorrow, but she does think he's sick (beyond just a tummy ache).

She suspects diabetes, or a kidney or liver problem. He has been waking us up to potty at night, but I thought it was just because he was getting old.

I'm a nurse. I should have brought him in sooner. I should have recognized this earlier.

Denyce
07-14-2004, 03:03 PM
You can't play the shoulda, coulda, woulda game with yourself. You brought him in to the vet as soon as you realized what was wrong. Animals are masters at hiding when they are not well. It is a survival of the fittest thing. In the wild the sick would be left to die. It is just their natural instinct to try and hide when they don't feel well.

I will be sending many positive thoughts for your Jake. Just keep strong and give him lots of hugs of course.

Denyce

stacwase
07-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Denyce
You can't play the shoulda, coulda, woulda game with yourself. You brought him in to the vet as soon as you realized what was wrong. Animals are masters at hiding when they are not well. It is a survival of the fittest thing. In the wild the sick would be left to die. It is just their natural instinct to try and hide when they don't feel well.

I will be sending many positive thoughts for your Jake. Just keep strong and give him lots of hugs of course.

Denyce

Thanks, Denyce! That is the best thing anybody could have said. I really appreciate it.

Pam
07-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Thank you, Denyce, for that. It was what I was thinking also but would have never been able to say it quite the way you did. Let's hope it is not as serious as the things you listed. (((Hugs))) to you Stacwise as you wait for the lab results and (((Hugs))) to Jake too.

tatsxxx11
07-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Was just able to check in with Pet Talk. I was so upset to read that Jake was not feeling well and was at the vet's:( Hopefully the labs will help figure out what's going on with him:( I'm sure the fluids and anti emetic will at least help to make him more comfortable. And Dencye and Pam are so right. You musn't beat yourself up over this or second guess yourself. Our pups ARE masters at disquishing their aliments. It's so hard when they can't speak to us and tell us they're not feeling well. Sending you our love and keeping you and Jake in our thoughts and prayers. Please give him a hug for me!!! Get well soon Jake!!!

dukedogsmom
07-14-2004, 04:08 PM
I hope it's not too bad. It's very hard when they're ill. Makes you feel helpless. Hoping that it's something that can be managed with medicine. Try and rest even though I know it will be hard.

joycenalex
07-14-2004, 05:44 PM
...what denise said...ear skritches to jake, ((hugs)) to you.

stacwase
07-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Thanks, everybody.

You know - if I was as sick as he is, I'd be whining and moping around. He sure is a tough little guy.

He did eat a little bit after we got home, so that's good.

Kfamr
07-15-2004, 10:13 AM
How's he feeling now? :)

stacwase
07-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Thanks for asking, Kay.

He's not doing well at all. I'm afraid for him.

All night long, he was coughing and breathing hard and he won't touch water. I even made him some chicken broth and he won't go near it. He just looks at it and starts coughing. If he hadn't had the vaccines, I'd suspect rabies! It's like all he has to do is think about water and it starts. I gave him some dog treats and he ate them, but no fluids.

After getting all that fluid, he never needed to go out to pee.

I called the vet and she wants me to bring him back at 3:45. She said she "needed to talk to me" about his lab results.

I'm afraid she's going to tell me that it's something really bad and he'll have to be put to sleep.

Cinder & Smoke
07-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Hi God ~

Wuld You pleeze ride ober to da Hoppsbittle wiff
Jake an his Mom?

Pleeze give em some Comfort ~
Maybe hold Jake's Paw;
An Wrap Your GodsPawz round his Mom?

We'll All be sendin Prayers, an crossin Pwaz & Klawz fur Jake.

Thanks, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

stacwase
07-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks, Cinder & Smokey!

We're going to be leaving pretty soon. Jake hasn't had so much as a drop of water or broth today, and he's coughing a lot and panting.

I feel just terrible. I wonder how long he's been sick. I remember thinking he was depressed. I did bring him in to the vet - she thought it was pain from his arthritis and the rimadyl did help the pain.

I hope this isn't my fault.

heinz57_79
07-15-2004, 02:37 PM
I know you're probably at the vets right now, but I just caught this thread... I hope for everyone involved, that Jake is going to be ok. It seems like there have been quite a few losses lately here at PT, and I don't want to see anymore threads in the memorial for a long time. :(

Chin up, Jake! Everyone here at PT is pulling for you, handsome! Get well soon. And tell your mom not to worry... everything will turn out for the best, one way or another. All 52 paws and a few fingers are crossed for your family!

ChrisH
07-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Just been reading this ... prayers that Jake has nothing serious.

dukedogsmom
07-15-2004, 03:33 PM
Please don't feel it's your fault. You're doing everything you can for him. I hope the news isn't horribly bad. Facing losing our best friends is a horrible thought and I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. Please let us know how it went when you get home. Hugs to you both.

molucass
07-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Hugs to you, your family, and Jake! I hope he's going to be ok! :(

Please let us know how he's doing.

Best wishes to all of you! We have all 28 paws crossed for him here as well.

tatsxxx11
07-15-2004, 04:10 PM
All my love to you, your family and Jake. We'll be praying so hard that Jake can pull thought this; I know he can! Please, get well soon Jake. And please, please don't blame yourself. You're a wonderful mom to Jake. {{{HUGS}}}

chocolatepuppy
07-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Prayers coming your way for Jake.

stacwase
07-15-2004, 04:22 PM
Jake is at the Rainbow Bridge.

It was either cancer or blastomycosis, and it was in his lungs. The vet said she couldn't do anything for his nausea and he would have either starved or died of thirst waiting for the results of the labs which would tell us which one it was, and it wouldn't do him any good to know because the results would be the same.

We couldn't bring his remains home because if it was blastomycosis he had to be cremated.

We arranged for a private cremation and they will be giving his ashes back to us. I think I'll get an urn and put him on the fireplace.

molucass
07-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Omg! I'm so sorry to hear the news! :(

My heart just sank when I read it... :(

Many, many {{{HUGS}}} to you and your family!

Rest in Peace, dear Jake! :(

primabella
07-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Omg, I am so sorry about Jake's passing. :( *HUGS* to you and your family.

RIP Jake.

Cinder & Smoke
07-15-2004, 04:40 PM
:(

So Very, Very Sorry... {{{HUGS}}}

Rest In Eternal Peace, Dear Jake,
You're going to be missed :( down here...

/s/ :( Phred

stacwase
07-15-2004, 04:41 PM
I feel so guilty.

Remember when we were thinking about rehoming him because we didn't think he liked us? Maybe he was already sick then and that's why he wasn't affectionate. I can't believe we even considered rehoming him.

anna_66
07-15-2004, 04:45 PM
OMG I'm in shock. I just seen this thread and was hoping it would have a good outcome and there would be nothing really wrong with Jake, but now I see he's already went to the RB:(
I'm so sorry stacwase. If there's anything at all you need please pm me.

R.I.P. Dear Jake

Kfamr
07-15-2004, 04:49 PM
First Brock... Now Jake. :( :( :( :(

I can't find words to say.. really.

stacwase
07-15-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm in shock too. We didn't have much time to prepare ourselves for this. It seemed so sudden, though I know he must have been sick for a long time.

I just can't imagine not having him here.

He was so calm and quiet and dignified. I remember just a week or two ago he came and woke me up because the cat needed to go outside. Remember that?

And if it weren't for him my daughter probably would have been raped. Remember?

ParNone
07-15-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Jake, stacwase. Don't blame yourself though. As others have said, dogs are very good at hiding sickness. Maddie was giving Murph and Oz what for one day and dead the next.

I told her a really sweet, cute sheltie was headed her way, so to be extra nice to him and show him around. Prayers headed your way. Rest in peace, Jake.

Par...

anna_66
07-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Yep, I remember all of that.

He was definately loved by your family and he was lucky to have you, and you him.

Cinder & Smoke
07-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by stacwase

He was so calm and quiet and dignified.

I remember just a week or two ago
he came and woke me up
because the cat needed to go outside.

:)

Continue to remember all those Wonderful Times you shared with Jake...
till you meet him again at The Bridge.

Sudilar
07-15-2004, 05:38 PM
My heart goes out to you! I am so so sorry. RIP, Jake, run heathy and free.

Pam
07-15-2004, 05:39 PM
I am so, so sorry! :( :( This is indeed a very sad day at Pet Talk. (((Hugs))) to you Stacwase. We all share in your grief.

tatsxxx11
07-15-2004, 05:46 PM
My heart's breaking. I checked in hoping to hear some good news:( Please accept my most heartfelt condolences, stacwase and family:( Jake was so very blessed to have known such love and devotion. He was a very, very special boy. Run happy and healthy again dear Jake. Brock, Speedy and all our Pet Talk angels are there to welcome you at the Rainbow Bridge. Love, Sandra

Aspen and Misty
07-15-2004, 05:49 PM
:( :(

I just read this thread, I missed it compltly, I'm so sorry to hear about Jake. He was a wonderful dog :(

Have fun at the RB sweetheart, we all will miss you dearly.

Ash :(

stacwase
07-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Thanks everybody. You really help me to feel better.

I have two threads going so I think I'm just going to drop out of this one and stay in the Pet Memorial one for now.

This is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

delidog
07-16-2004, 07:01 AM
Oh Poor Jake...I am soo sorry for your loss....
He was such a beauty...Like Phred said...Continue to think of all those wonderful memories....

Godspeed to the Bridge...Dearest Jake

Samantha Puppy
07-16-2004, 07:57 AM
I'm so sorry for dear Jake and your loss, stacwase. I don't know what to say. It's hard enough when it's expected but when it's sudden... You, your family and Jake are in my thoughts and prayers.

Canis Amicus
07-16-2004, 09:55 AM
RIP Jake.
My heart is broken to hear about Jake going to the RB.
You and your family and pets are in my prayers.

Rosana
and Rex

Toller 42
07-16-2004, 07:36 PM
He is probably throwing up because he is not eatinng anough or maybe he is just so hot he doesn't want to eat. my dog used to eat 1 cup of food in 3 minutes but now she only eats when she wants and sometimes she only eats about 20 kibbles, and I think it's because it is too hot for them because on rainy days she eats like a pig again!

Toller 42
07-16-2004, 07:43 PM
I am soooo sorry to hear about jake please excuse the other post that's in my name, I was going to write a reply but then my mom called and told me to feed my dogs so I did and I was already logged on and my brother wrote a reply without even reading the post! he is so dumb sometimes. I'ts hard on you when you lose a dog and you never really get over it, you just get used to living without them, I never got over losing my Rotti anyway but it's different for all people.

shais_mom
07-16-2004, 07:48 PM
I am so sorry to come to this so late.
I am sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers that God will be with you at this difficult time.
Godspeed Jake.