PDA

View Full Version : Just My Luck...

MariaM
07-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Lol well there is good news and bad news. The good news is last night Major wasn't barking much, at all. Until....FIREWORKS STARTED. He was absolutely GREAT last night, and then he starts barking so I went to check and fireworks were going off, not even a block away.

Tonight they were going off again, these kids obviously think its fun (ok so it might be, but honestly, do it out in the country) Poor Majjy was whining and barking he was scared:( I gave him his peanut butter thing and I think that kept his mind off it for a while...he's barking again now though, probably the fireworks are still going.

heinz57_79
07-13-2004, 11:32 PM
I'd march on down the street and stuff a firecracker in their pants! :mad: I swear, some kids tick me off! Just try to keep him occupied and distracted, maybe Major won't notice the fireworks. :rolleyes:

Aspen and Misty
07-14-2004, 01:21 AM
Do you have a fence in your backyard? Is Major chained or is he let roam? Does he have a dog house to hide in?

I would worry about him getting out/someone getting to him and hurting him. Kids and animals do NOT mix when there are fireworks involved! I would be VERY worried about his saftey! We have a all fenced in yard with a 8 foot privacy wooden fence and I still go out with my dog's everytime, you just never know.

I know thats not possible for you since you keep him outside all the time, and I dont' know what kind of things you have set up but I would make it as safe as possible for him.

Ash

Logan
07-14-2004, 07:12 AM
This may sound terrible, but it did help us when the fireworks were so loud over the 4th of July weekend. I gave them the dog dose of Benadryl that my vet has provided for when they get itchy. It's a 50mg capsule and it truly did take the edge off. I also turned the radio on in the kitchen loud enough to drown out the firework noise, and we stayed in there with them. It seemed to settle those uneasy nerves a bit with the thunder and the fireworks. Of course, we were reassuring them a lot too, but eventually they slept through it.

Hope it doesn't sound bad that I medicated them, but it does make them drowsy and I thought it was worth it. Zipper and Lilly have problems with both thunder and fireworks, which we have had a lot of lately! :)

MariaM
07-14-2004, 07:24 AM
Yeah well I'm hoping they don't have any more left for tonight:rolleyes:

Yeah we have a fenced in backyard. At night he is put on a cable but last night he got out of it, even with his harness on, and he has never, ever done that before.:eek: But he does have a dog house, he just didn't want to go in there, lol he wanted to "protect" us.

Major is absolutely fine during thunderstorms, he just goes in his house and sleeps on his blanket. I hope these fireworks won't make him now scared of thunder....that'd be really bad!

Can you only get Benadryl at a vet's office?

lizbud
07-14-2004, 05:06 PM
MariaM,

You can get Benadryl at any drugstore, but I wouldn't give it
to Major without first asking your Vet about it. It's given by your
dog's weight & only the Vet knows if he should have it.

Smokey, unlike my previous dog Buddy, is very afraid of
fireworks & loud noises. Last night I had had enough of a
neighbor boy setting them off at all hours and I called the police.
There is a non-emergency number (not 911) that can be called
for things like this. The police came within an hour & took my
complaint. They will make frequent trips through the area & keep
a check on this problem. Believe it or not, the guy quit setting
them off & all's peaceful & quiet again.
It's not fair to Major(or Smokey) to have to put up with some
jerky kid's idea of fun.:mad:

lizbud
07-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I'm confused... Last time I checked people have the right to set off fireworks. :confused: :confused:

I like watching them, my dogs don't like them so much, but I don't get mad at anyone for setting them off? :confused: And the both of them are fine as long as they're inside.

Poor Major.

Not legal in Indiana KayAnn. The law is that they can be sold
but not set off in city limits. Fireworks don't bother some dogs
but they do bother most dogs. I refuse to watch my dog shake
with fright every time the d*** things are going off. :mad: I'm
also sick of picking up bottle rocket sticks from my roof & yard.:mad:

Pam
07-14-2004, 05:32 PM
KayAnn if you look at the time of Maria's post (12:26am) that would have been enough to warrant being an annoyance to someone, as well as the fact that they are illegal, at least around here, as well. I am lucky because both of my dogs don't mind them at all. In fact Ripley barked at the noise on the 4th of July when they were being set off at the township field, not far from our house. Bella parked herself at the window to see what was going on. :rolleyes: I had a toy poodle (RB) that got so worked up that he would shake and then throw up if they lasted too long. :(

Kfamr
07-14-2004, 05:41 PM
I don't know WHERE in the heck my post went, but eh..

I understand what you mean Liz.
Althought Simba does get scared by them, I usually have the TV on and have him inside and he's completely fine.

I didn't bother to look at the time she posted.. and had no clue they were illegal. The only times i've heard of them be illegal down here is when it hasn't rained in a while.

Pam
07-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I don't know WHERE in the heck my post went, but eh..

Wow! What the heck? Now you see it, now you don't! :confused: :p

MariaM
07-14-2004, 05:49 PM
When did Kay post:confused: :confused:

Well anyways, yeah it was a little annoying being late at night...I think these kids were setting them off in the school yard....2 nights in a row! Well I don't think there is really much I can do...

MariaM
07-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Ok lol now I am REALLY confused...