PDA

View Full Version : Reading Part II

RICHARD
07-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Where do you do most of your reading?

Do you have a favorite spot?

What do you need next to you while you read?

Barbara
07-13-2004, 02:15 PM
In bed, in bed, in bed. I read daily an hour in bed. This rainy Sunday I read 3 hrs in bed. In the morning (early morning, between 10 and 1 pm:D ).

A Tigris by my side helps.:D

heinz57_79
07-13-2004, 02:18 PM
There are 2 places I usually read, in bed and in the bathtub. If I'm in bed, I usually need something to munch on, and a dog, and I'm happy. In the tub, just bubbles. :)

G.P.girl
07-13-2004, 02:27 PM
i read a lot in bed,and i just need my music on, some times and ice cold pepsi too. oh yeah and i keep a big bag of jelly beans in my night stand drawer for when i'm reading. i also read on the couch alot, that way i can still see what is going on, but my brother is always watching cartoons and i hate that casue he keeps it up so loud

MariaM
07-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Well I read in bed or on a couch. Usually I don't eat anything or drink...depends. I like a bunch of pillows to prop my head the right way.

Now you made me have a craving to go buy chips!

Pam
07-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Occasionally in the recliner in the living room but usually in bed. That way when I get sleepy all I have to do is turn off the light. :rolleyes: I always have furry bodies pressed up against me and don't think I could read without them (although the kitties at times make it hard to turn the page!) :p

Edwina's Secretary
07-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Mostly I read in bed. Every night. However, if I am eating alone I read. I also like to read outside. I just found sunglass reading glasses (okay...there are really sold for weed pulling...) WONDERFUL!!

And on airplanes, and waiting for airplanes and in the car (when I'm not driving...:D )

DJFyrewolf36
07-13-2004, 03:24 PM
I read mostly in bed...but on long car trips or plane rides I read too. Sometimes I read at work when it is slow, or when Im waiting like at a Drs office or something.

jazzcat
07-13-2004, 03:31 PM
On the sofa, sometimes in bed but I used to do most of my reading in doctor's offices and hospitals when I was taking my mother so much over the years.

heinz57_79
07-13-2004, 03:41 PM
I wish I could read in the car... I get SOOO carsick! :( I'd love to be able to take a book on a roadtrip to kill time.

prechrswife
07-13-2004, 03:51 PM
I wish I could read in the car... I get SOOO carsick! I'd love to be able to take a book on a roadtrip to kill time.

Me, too!:(

My favorite place to read is on the couch. I would love to get a swing so I could sit outside and read.

molucass
07-13-2004, 04:22 PM
I read in bed, almost every night before I got to sleep.

Felony sleeps in the bed with me and lays his head on my stomach while I read. :)

I do sometimes read in the tub though.

heinz57_79
07-13-2004, 04:57 PM
I would love to get a swing so I could sit outside and read.

That would be nice... Except for 2 things... It's too ^%$#! hot here to sit outside and do ANYTHING, and if the swing is moving I'll get motion sickness. :rolleyes: No swings, no hammocks, no boats, no planes. ick....

DJFyrewolf36
07-13-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by heinz57_79
That would be nice... Except for 2 things... It's too ^%$#! hot here to sit outside and do ANYTHING, and if the swing is moving I'll get motion sickness. :rolleyes: No swings, no hammocks, no boats, no planes. ick....

:( that stinks! Poor you!

Shelteez2
07-13-2004, 08:34 PM
I read in bed, on the couch (while watching TV at the same time), at the kitchen table if I'm eating alone, on the bus or on the train when I used to take public transit, and in the car when I used to always be a passenger and not the driver. I will also read when I'm suntanning outside.

As for what I need, well usually snacks are nice, maybe a beverage. :)

Crikit
07-13-2004, 09:30 PM
at work ;) that's one of the downfalls of being the reciever in a bookstore I tend to get distracted by some of the books and of course end up reading some of them. I also spend a fair amount of my break times reading in the staff room.

If I'm at home then I'm usually in my room sitting on my bed reading.

carole
07-13-2004, 09:44 PM
Reading is something I rarely do nowadays due to needing new reading glasses, but when I do on the rare occasion , it would be in Bed or on the couch.

I am more of a magazine reader than novel reader though.

What I would like next to me when I read is a sweet Black furball called Lexie, but next to that would be a nice cuppa and a couple of biscuits.

catnapper
07-13-2004, 09:48 PM
I read everywhere! On a rock-hard bleacher at a swim meet, on a "soccer mom" chair on the sidelines of a soccer game, on more orck hard bleechers at track meets, on the comfy front seat of my car while waiting for the kids after practice. I keep a book in the side pocket of the driver's side door!

I read at home too, and my favorite place is my big comfy computer chair. Tilt it back with my feet up on my desk and I'll be happy for hours.

micki76
07-13-2004, 09:54 PM
On the couch. Nearly every day. I like to snack on salted, in the shell sunflower seeds sometimes while I read.

I can't read while in motion either. Sometimes hubby sits in his rocker recliner and I can see him moving from the corner of my eye and I get sick. :(

I suspect that this winter I'll be doing a lot of reading at work. :(

sirrahved
07-13-2004, 11:06 PM
My favorite place to read is in bed, under the covers. Marsha curls up on my chest. It's nice. Only you can't lay the book down, or she'll claim it as her bed. What's up with cats and open books???

Uabassoon
07-13-2004, 11:24 PM
I like to read in bed, and I must have my soda with me.

sirrahbed
07-13-2004, 11:39 PM
I can read just about anywhere but my serious and nightly reading is in bed. I start out propped un and usually have my water bottle next to me. Pretty soon I turn on my side and snuggle down under the covers. By this time, I usually have Emily next to my book, Eliot on my hip and Dylan at my feet.

On weekend morning and sometimes lazy afternoons, I climb back into bed with a cup of coffee and read for hours!! I LOVE those long lazy sessions. I don't like any music on- just me, a drink, a kitty or two and my books! ahh!! heavenly!!

Hubby is also a reader and he is doing pretty much the same thing on the other side of the bed while we lay back to back and snuggle footsies:D ;)

Barbara
07-14-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
However, if I am eating alone I read. I also like to read outside.

Oh here you can have a nice dinner with two persons and two books:D . And two cats:D

I thought the question was what your favorite place is. If you ask for other places I can add the bathtub, planes (unfortunately I can't read in a car, whether I'm driving or not:( ), in the office (when you're not at PT) and - my specialty- while brushing teeth.:D Helps you doing it three minutes:D

Edwina's Secretary
07-14-2004, 09:17 PM
And two cats

What do the cats read???:D :D

We have a compromise. Reading at the breakfast table is allowed. At other meals...looking at pictures in magazines or catalogs is okay as long as I look up periodically and maintain my end of the conversation at the same time.

The bathtub is also a good spot. I even have a rack across the tub for holding books and magazines. My problem is how do you get yourself and the reading material out of the tub without getting the reading material wet???? I've never quite managed.

Shelteez2
07-14-2004, 09:44 PM
My problem is how do you get yourself and the reading material out of the tub without getting the reading material wet???? I've never quite managed.

I don't like baths so I don't take them often... but what I did was since your hands are obviously dry while holding the book while you're reading it, whenever I was ready to get out, I'd chuck the book onto the floor on the other side of the room... LOL

Barbara
07-15-2004, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
I don't like baths so I don't take them often... but what I did was since your hands are obviously dry while holding the book while you're reading it, whenever I was ready to get out, I'd chuck the book onto the floor on the other side of the room... LOL

Exactly, that's the way to do it:D And you have to throw it very flat (like a flat stone on the water if you want it to bump back;) ) so that nothing bad happens to the book.

It's a good exercise:D

NoahsMommy
07-15-2004, 03:25 AM
I take a bath every night to wind down from my day. That is where I usually read.

Sometimes I read in bed or on the couch.

At all times, I have a furry friend for company. :)

Killearn Kitties
07-15-2004, 03:51 AM
During travel of any sort, aeroplane, train going to work, etc; in the bath (I too do the flinging-a-flat-book-across-the-floor trick); on the settee; on the bench in the garden; very occasionally in bed, if I'm trying to finish off a chapter or something.

I don't recall ever reading while brushing my teeth, but it's an excellent idea! I'm going to try it tonight. :D

lynnestankard
07-15-2004, 06:38 AM
My favourite place for reading has to be - bed. I can't sleep at night until I've read and believe me those reading sessions can go on for anything upto 3 hours!!
I read anywhere and everywhere though - on the train, bus or plane I'm fine - but I can't read in the car I get so sick - ugh!!
In summerI like reading on my lovely garden swing with a nice cold drink to hand.
When I'm out shopping and call for a coffee - I can happily read for an hour!
I love to curl up on the sofa with a good book - a cuppa and a supply of biccys!!

Lynne

RICHARD
07-15-2004, 11:44 AM
What do the cats read???:D :D

A CAT-alogue?:confused:

Barbara
07-15-2004, 04:27 PM
I hope I don't have to post the pictures again in which Tigris looks for his favorite Byron poetry and in which Filou reads the Feynman biography:rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
07-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Why not?

I hope I don't have to post the pictures again in which Tigris looks for his favorite Byron poetry and in which Filou reads the Feynman biography

I love those pictures. I guess I am either going to have to improve my book tossing technique or get a bathroom with a better layout for book throwing..... sigh

Randi
07-16-2004, 04:54 AM
I usually read the paper while having breakfast, and books in bed. I always have a cup of tea on the bedside table. :)

ChrisH
07-16-2004, 06:33 AM
No favourite place, anywhere and everywhere ... except in the bath! I have never been one for lingering in there, get in, little soak, wash and out! :)